He was a valued member, a great friend and I will miss him!

• Member Contributer

It is with a saddened heart  that I'm writing this but feel the need to share with you all. This past Monday evening I received a Face Book Messenger message from fellow VFRD member sfdownhill's cousin. The gist of the message was, "Wanted to let you know Lance (His real name) was in some sort of accident and had to be airlifted to Chico Trauma center. He's being intubated at the moment but that's all I got. I'll keep you posted"

I reached out the next morning for further status and essentially got that he was still unconscious and intubated, and had suffered a "catastrophic brain injury". This is where my heart dropped. I was able to hear from his uncle later in the afternoon and he was trying to give me more details of what happened but I was having trouble hearing in the noisy environment I was in and essentially almost a zombie at that point. He basically todl me a little moer of what they new that they were waiting and hoping for some good news but it wasn't promising.

As of a few minutes ago, I heard back from his cousin again and he basically spelled it out, Lance was declared deceased a couple of days ago but they are keeping his body going so that his organs can be donated. If that doesn't say what kind of person Lance was, I don't know what would better say how giving he was.

I have tons of stories and fond memories from the time I first met him, the time we went on our first ride together, to him attending my wedding. I guess my wife liked him too, as we had a very short list of attendees, but Lance was one of them. I initially met him as an independent contractor whom he needed my services. At first we had a business relationship, but that quickly grew into a great friendship. Not only did we collaborate with work but with motorcycles, and other fun interest. I think our greatest collaboration was the WyLD header project.

It was only after a few big jobs that we did together that he said he had a big surprise gift for me, he told me that he bought us classes for the California Superbike School. I didn't know what to say and could hardly believe it, but again, that's how giving he was. I continued to work with him on and off for a few years until I got a full time job but still lent hand from time to time, he was my friend after all.

I could go on and on but not only is it hard to write this without tearing up but I also don't want this post to become a novel. I'll post some pics for those who may not have met him face to face and leave with this. Lance was a great friend and one I hope others can pattern themselves from, I will miss him. Godspeed Lance!

Here's Lance prepping his 5 Gen for our time working with the California Superbike School at Laguna Seca

IMG_3605.thumb.JPG.e3f4bcf39bfac04eb7da377491e46f40.JPG

He and I posing for the camera at turn 6 at Laguna Seca after our work was done. It was a great day of working/riding.

SecaDarryl090717.thumb.JPG.d869e04dfe7e88717be76074f76ad8d8.JPG

Here, I think I am explaining to him about my lines around Angeles Crest Highway. Looks like I had his interest.

IMG_1023.thumb.jpeg.34f54f70dfb5328d509d887e7a457479.jpeg

On the same Angeles Crest Highway ride, the "Three Amigos". Mr smiles in front there is my brother Niel. The three of us did a lot of riding together, as well as attended that California Superbike School class together. As happenstance has it, Niel came up from Mazatlan to attend to a few things here in California and we were all supposed to celebrate tomorrow me getting my license reinstated. Lance was planning another great celebration for us but alas, it did not happen. 😞

IMG_1038.thumb.jpeg.b7487f493d29e450ac5d00a9c5088a3a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 17

• Member Contributer

He will be missed. Always helpful. From his writing, what a brain! We were lucky to have him on this forum. Hope his family is well, hope you are well.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Oh no.  He's the only VFRD member I've seen in the last few years.  He helped me a lot with my headers of course.  Texted about surfing but never did it before he moved.  This is awful to hear.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

This is very sad news. The yellow piped seat on my 2000 came from him in 2021. He was a lovely human to deal with for that purchase and we ended up talking in 2022 about him maybe coaching a bit for a track day org. I'm not sure where he was originally from, but his presentation in conversation screamed old school laid back CA. 

I am so sorry that you lost a dear friend. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Terrible news, what a loss. We only ever interacted on the forum / on the headers, but it was clear he was a great person. His presence here felt noteworthy and meaningful in our little VFR community. My condolences to those that knew Lance, may you find peace in time. 

I'm proud to have a set of WyLD headers, they were such a labor of love to bring into existence. I'll think of Lance next time I hear them sing.

• Like 5

I never had the pleasure but I'm sure I would have enjoyed knowing him based his presence here. So sorry for the loss of your friend Duc.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Ooooof.  Sad, sad news.   Positive thoughts going out to his family and friends now, he seemed to be a genuine, smart fellow.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Unbelievable heart breaking. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends and you Duc.

I had the pleasure to meet him once, I bought his beautifully refurbished Wolf exhaust and unloaded some old plastics he wanted for track days. He was kind, low key and seemed a very genuine person. He will be missed.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I met, and rode with him on one of the Kernville rides. What a great guy and a great rider!

He was very laid back, and fun to be around - wow such a tragic loss...

Rest in Peace Lance!

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Damn. RC1237V just texted me with the news. Sucks. A great guy. I only rode with him a few times, but some random memories:

Breakfast in Kernville, maybe 2016, ready for Brian, TC, and Duc2V4 to lead us north through the Sierra. Lance arrives...in a 'Stitch! I'm not alone!

Random stop somewhere before arriving Shaver Lake. "You guys sure get going fast, I didn't get my gloves on in time!"

Smart, great rider, lover of 5th gens. I didn't know him well, but I'm really happy that I knew him.

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Really horrible, so sad to hear this. My heart goes out to all of you who knew Lance, family and friends. Obviously an extremely well liked and respected gentleman.

Certainly drives home the reality of our own fragility, ride safe everyone.

Sincere Condolences to all.

R.I.P Lance.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

So sorry to hear about his demise.  Although I never met him I did correspond w/ him a few times here re:  the header build/buy and such an easy guy to chat with.  I'll think of him next time I open the VFR up and listen to those headers howl.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, flya750 said:

What was Lance's last name?

His last name was 'Chubbic'

• Member Contributer

I want to thank everyone for the nice tributes and thoughts. I know it'll take some time to get this out of my system and as much as want to ride and do it as a tribute to Lance, my mind is nowhere near being ready to ride at the moment. As we all know, we need a clear head when riding and mine is just not there yet.

It's weird, I'll have burst of laughter and joy remembering some of things we did together and how that moment felt, then the next, sad and teary eyed, knowing that those memories are all I'll have of him now. There are very few people that I would go to bat for but Lance was definitely one of them. One of the best and greatest friends I'll ever have!

Man, with all that's going on in the "moto" world and in my personal life, I would love to just speak with him one more time, get his thoughts and take on some of what's going on and in my personal situations too. He was a great listener and always had some input for me to ponder, I'll forever miss that but will always cherish my time with him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion...write down these short stories over the next weeks and months. Fill them in over time. You may want them to refer to later for yourself or to share with others. 

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

Oh, man... This is a gut punch, and I never met him. Condolences to all who knew him, and to his family.

RIP Lance

Was he riding his motorcycle when this accident happened?

Is it possible (and appropriate) that we get some plaques made in his honor/memory that would fit on the WyLD headers? Maybe saying something like "WyLD header made possible by Lance Chubbic aka sfdownhill," or maybe just "In memory of sfdownhill."

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Ziffer said:

Oh, man... This is a gut punch, and I never met him. Condolences to all who knew him, and to his family.

RIP Lance

Was he riding his motorcycle when this accident happened?

Is it possible (and appropriate) that we get some plaques made in his honor/memory that would fit on the WyLD headers? Maybe saying something like "WyLD header made possible by Lance Chubbic aka sfdownhill," or maybe just "In memory of sfdownhill."

Ironically he was riding the track on all things, a skateboard. Apparently in turn 5 at Thunder Hill Raceway, he wiped out and from the reports, he just landed hard and in a way that he broke his neck. It was also stated by the Doctors that he had suffered “catastrophic brain injury” not sure if that was saying the same thing or he had even further injury.

As for a commemorative plate for the headers, that sounds like a fitting tribute and IMO would be appropriate. Lance and I had plans to wok on another 5 Gen he was planning on building up. He was going to bring the bike to my place and we were supposed to build it together. Something he always wanted to do with me, do a hands on collaboration on something he would own. If his family is cool with it, I would like to take that bike and finish it up, auction it off and donate the money to a charity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, TimC said:

Very sorry to hear of this.  My condolences to Duc2V4 and to Lance's family and friends.

I wholeheartedly concur...

• Like 1