Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

• Member Contributer

I'm on the list of people also waiting on what the final verdict is.

My 98 was re-painted by the previous owner, but I'm not thrilled with the job that was done. I'd love to get new plastics at a fraction of the cost of repainting.

Though I might get the tank repainted instead of using the cover.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If you have a bathtub, fill it with hot water and soak the tank cover in it for 10-15 minutes before you install. You might be surprised

I'm on the list of people also waiting on what the final verdict is.

My 98 was re-painted by the previous owner, but I'm not thrilled with the job that was done. I'd love to get new plastics at a fraction of the cost of repainting.

Though I might get the tank repainted instead of using the cover.

When I had my 5th gen, I looked into an Anniversary color scheme and asked about the tank cover. Never saw a kit that had one pictured. I email the seller at the time and they said they did not have them. Make sure you email and ask before you set your heart on a fairing kit.

• Member Contributer

You've got way more patience than me. I'd have smeared some KY jelly on the tank, wrestled that cover on and bolted up the side panels by now!

Love your colour scheme.

Haha.... Oh trust me, I'm zip tying this bitch back together. ;)

Here's a mock up of ugly swing arm side, without tank cover...

Getting there...

ef2bb7d5f1603da078a4a01a895cd6a5.jpg

And with the tank cover just sitting on top.

0d81560728dc61a9803c0dcaa13293e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kinda like the red tank

I'm actually leaning that way Seb. With your clear clutch cover and red pressure plate.... I'm telling you...

I'm not really digging the tank cover application at this very second....

Still buttoning things up. Why do I have so many parts left over. Hmmmm, weird. ;)

All that said, this is a little bit more work than I had it worked out in my head.

Getting there...

With any new project I have not tried before, I figure to multiply my first time estimate by 3. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Looks like that answers my earlier question about how the tank will fare with the cover on it. AFAIK, this is the first I've seen of anyone installing one, so very helpful.

Here's a youtube video of how to remove the front fairing / headlight assembly - it takes you through step by step. The only thing I might add is that the instrument bezel cover has two push pins that go through grommets on the fairing stay. I don't know about other bikes, but on mine they were a bitch to remove. I honestly thought I was going to break them. I finally used the side of a shorty flat blade screwdriver to push on them from the back. Once off, I trimmed them with a knife and then put some silicone grease on them to make subsequent removal easier. A second set of hands is also helpful, as you'll need to remove the temp sensor wire once it's pulled forward a bit, and that takes 2 hands leaving none to hold the assembly with. I cover the front fender with a blanket while doing this to prevent scratching it.

Cogswell, this video was invaluable. Thank you.

Glad to help! :fing02:

This is looking great! Fingers crossed on the tank cover . . .

• Member Contributer

Looking very good ,can't wait to see it all together with that nice colour scheme.

I'm actually leaning that way Seb. With your clear clutch cover and red pressure plate.... I'm telling you...

Still buttoning things up. Why do I have so many parts left over. Hmmmm, weird. ;)

Hey I thought that project was a secret?!? :wink:

Maybe just add a little white and black vinyl to the tank, to break the red up a bit? You could experiment with plastidip.

Hey I thought that project was a secret?!? :wink:
Maybe just add a little white and black vinyl to the tank, to break the red up a bit? You could experiment with plastidip.

Crap. I thought we let the cat out of the bag pages ago.... Oh well. :)

Okay, so she's 95% done. I'm beat, fingers are toast and I need to correct some small mistakes. I'll write up more tomorrow. Here's what she looks like tonight in my dark garage with crappy cell phone pics...

ceda01041cd3287a9173a951300c20dd.jpg

• Member Contributer

Find a dented tank and put the cover on it. Save the red tank or sell it with your red plastics.

Working with the seller to find a reasonable outcome for the tank cover. I'll keep my comments to myself; until I get to test their customer service protocols, but other than the cover, most everything buttoned up as OEM plastics would. Taking one of these naked, then back to full dress, isn't for everyone, no doubt

That said, the most work I've done on a motorcycle before this, consisted of air filter changes and scooping up chicks and tossing them on the backseat during beach week in high school.

• Member Contributer

Working with the seller to find a reasonable outcome for the tank cover. I'll keep my comments to myself; until I get to test their customer service protocols, but other than the cover, most everything buttoned up as OEM plastics would. Taking one of these naked, then back to full dress, isn't for everyone, no doubt

That said, the most work I've done on a motorcycle before this, consisted of air filter changes and scooping up chicks and tossing them in the backseat during beach week in high school.

You seem reasonable and understanding. Points to you!

The bike looks terrific and they will sell MANY sets to people like me and Polarbear.

That said, the most work I've done on a motorcycle before this, consisted of air filter changes and scooping up chicks and tossing them in the backseat during beach week in high school.

Did you ask them for install tips for the tank cover? Sounds like you changed your mind on it. They do refunds for stuff like that?

• Member Contributer

I didn't think about this before, but your color scheme would be a prime candidate for the clear or smoke version of the turn signal and tail light lenses that Thurn and others sell:

95-LRL246-gesamt.jpg

19-BLK246-gesamt.jpg

• Member Contributer

Viffer, can you please post more detail on the tank cover... what is the issue, is it difficult to get over the tank? Doesn't fit right once on? Can't get it on for fear of cracking it? Don't want to scrape up your tank underneath?

The fairings look great, and whatever floats your boat, but if the tank cover fits well I expect the bike would look more 'complete' with it in place... just my opinion

Archived