Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

• Member Contributer

That is a lot of wheel weights

If you think the grease makes a mess wait until you have to clean brake dust off the White front wheel after a wet ride I used to really hate that job when I had white wheels

Would be half that if they were still making them out of lead.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

DuPont teflon chain lube dries clear. It will help keep your wheels white and your gold/black chain gold and black.

+1

I use this stuff and it greatly reduces the cleaning needed to keep your wheels looking good and it does a great job flushing the cr@p out from the links... use a piece of cardboard to keep the overspray and washout off the rims.

• Member Contributer

Where do you get it? I bought a can once @ Lowe's of all places. I don't think they carry it any more.

Some Walmart stores carry it, but not all. Some Lowe's and Home Depots. Amazon.

I have not bought the actual DuPont Chainsaver yet, but am finishing off can of the Dupont Multi-use Teflon lubricant. Think they are pretty close and it says on can that you are able to use on motorcycle chains. It is a dry wax, teflon lubricant too. Dries clear and does not sling off. Really good stuff. Think I bought it at Lowes or Wallyworld too and it is not hard to find nor expensive.

• Member Contributer

I have not bought the actual DuPont Chainsaver yet, but am finishing off can of the Dupont Multi-use Teflon lubricant. Think they are pretty close and it says on can that you are able to use on motorcycle chains. It is a dry wax, teflon lubricant too. Dries clear and does not sling off. Really good stuff. Think I bought it at Lowes or Wallyworld too and it is not hard to find nor expensive.

The DuPont Multi-use is what I used until they reformulated it. Chainsaver isn't as good as the original Multi-use, but it's better than the current version and better than most other stuff.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/index.htm

• Member Contributer

Hard to see in the pictures, but ypu did properly stake the large 46 rear axle nut did you?

Already looking to the "bikini wash" pictures by the way..... :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Where do you get it? I bought a can once @ Lowe's of all places. I don't think they carry it any more.

Some Walmart stores carry it, but not all. Some Lowe's and Home Depots. Amazon.

+1 on amazon... I order 2 at a time and get it delivered to my door.

• Member Contributer

Had a '92 CBR600F2 back in the day with white wheels. Loved 'em but took a lot care. Hint: use a firm bristle toothbrush with your choice of liquid cleaner to get into the tight spaces. Source a good comfy low stool. :wink:

Hard to see in the pictures, but ypu did properly stake the large 46 rear axle nut did you?

Already looking to the "bikini wash" pictures by the way..... :cheerleader:

I certainly didn't stake any nuts. I did however, get hammered this afternoon watching my beloved Redskins blow yet another lead. I celebrated the debacle with steak jerky. Does that count?

Bikini bike wash may be in play. I'll round up the bishes.... :crazy:

I actually had a shop do the wheel removal and brake down the front wheel to ready it for powder coat, and install the sprockets/chain etc... I hope they did everything right. I put about a hundred spirited miles on it, since getting it back... seems okay to me. Except that they did break the speedo sensor. I was going to take that apart and fix it while I was cleaning everything but decided I'll take it back to them. I paid them in good old fashioned American dollars, so they're on the hook for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

remove the round rubber cap thingie from the rear sprocket carrier/axle

Look closely at the rear axle threaded end, there is a bit/groove cut out. The large nut has a thin metal ring on top and this should be staked/punched into the grovve on the axle.

If this is not done by the shop then this a serious omission..

(from the 3rd/4th gen manual but the principle is the same)

post-8974-0-24106700-1442230577.jpg

Thanks Dutchy.... I'll give it a gander today....

I'm thinking I know the answer here, but I've got no shame in asking people who are more knowledgeable than me...

Suppose they didn't do it... What's the most probable outcome?

Appreciate the help.

I'm trying to follow what you guys are talking about here? What was the shop messing with? Didn't they just change the chain/sprockets and paint the wheel? Why would they pull the whole hub assembly apart?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

To change the sprocket and chain indeed one doesnot need to take the nut off.

But in the lovely pictures, I could not see that the nut is staked.

The last one shows the mark but it *looks* not in.

Worse thing that can -and has for some here, not me- is that the nut and then the whole lot comes off...

I'm trying to follow what you guys are talking about here? What was the shop messing with? Didn't they just change the chain/sprockets and paint the wheel? Why would they pull the whole hub assembly apart?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Those are my thoughts too. None of this needs to be done for a simple rear wheel off & on.

Unless that shop took it apart for some unknown reason, I doubt it's ever been apart. This bike only has 9k miles on it.

I'm wondering if I've confused people when I said I took the rear apart and cleaned it. What I did, was remove the wheel and chain guard and scrubbed all of the years of neglect off of everything. At no point did I disassemble the rear hub.

Looked okay to me, but what the heck do I know. I turned the key on, and spun the sensor by hand and the speedo moved. I buttoned it all back up and will probably ride it into the office tomorrow, and see if it made a difference. It worked perfectly until the sprockets were changed, problem has to be related. And of course, FI light now comes on and stays solid everyone once in a while. A key cycle makes it go away. Does this sensor do anything more than calculate vehicle rolling speed? Does it affect fueling and ignition at all? Seems to be running a bit rough since all this nonsense... but that could be jedi mind tricks...

Archived