Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

• Member Contributer

Reinstall everything and pull the battery connection off and leave disconnect for 5 minutes. Then reconnect battery and start the bike and see if the FI light clears.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reinstall everything and pull the battery connection off and leave disconnect for 5 minutes. Then reconnect battery and start the bike and see if the FI light clears.

It actually cleared with every key cycle, even without pulling the battery. It's happened 3 times in the last two days. All 3 times, at a red light, I recycled the key and it went away, for the rest of my ride. I did do the 15 minute reset tonight, haven't started it up since. I'll let it idle for 10 minutes tomorrow and see what happens... If it goofs up again, I'll Thelma and Louise this thing off a cliff. :goofy:

Look for my "for sale" thread for some new fairings. HA!

• Member Contributer

It actually cleared with every key cycle, even without pulling the battery. It's happened 3 times in the last two days. All 3 times, at a red light, I recycled the key and it went away, for the rest of my ride. I did do the 15 minute reset tonight, haven't started it up since. I'll let it idle for 10 minutes tomorrow and see what happens... If it goofs up again, I'll Thelma and Louise this thing off a cliff. :goofy:

Look for my "for sale" thread for some new fairings. HA!

:pinocchio:

Did you check and see what code it was flashing?

Nah, I didn't. Not yet, anyway... The thing has never thrown a code, then went in to have the sprockets changed, since that day it threw a code a few times, and the speedo stopped working. I'm using deductive reasoning up to this point...

Drove it to the office today, no change in speedo. No FI code though...

• Member Contributer

If I recall correctly, the speedo pickup goes right over the bolt for the front sprocket. Is the pickup fitting over the bolt head enough to spin it properly?

• Member Contributer

I can't say for sure, but the center of the speedo drive looks like it's pushed too far onto the cable. Like they didn't line up the sprocket bolt and the cable end, and just force the sprocket cover back on, damaging the cable end.

• Member Contributer

I can't say for sure, but the center of the speedo drive looks like it's pushed too far onto the cable. Like they didn't line up the sprocket bolt and the cable end, and just force the sprocket cover back on, damaging the cable end.

Yeah... what he said. I just went to the garage and took mine apart to have a look-see. There is a 1/4" of space between the speedometer joint (white plastic) and the sensor assembly.

You guys are bad ass. Okay, I'm gonna go out there now and tug on that white plastic away from the sensor housing, towards the sprocket nut. Let's see if we can save it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something uplifting.... Another pic, while she's still red...

f2018ddab45339a7feaab4ef08443012.jpg

bacca908155a6a94aaf28f065ee05bd3.jpg

Okay, so what I did, was pull the sensor back out, and completely removed the plastic wheel that mates with the sprocket nut:

a5570696e56d1b90f356c7601285acf5.jpg

Then, I inserted just the wheel onto the sprocket nut, independent of the sensor:

511db507d15b3a760d98d3775a0e3054.jpg

c352b1976daba348f76c1de05f8300fd.jpg

Then I lined up the mating surface of the sensor (male) to the wheel slot (female), and tightened as normal.

8c6e97381d82c618767606c9d2941f0f.jpg

I'll give her a ride in the morning. This may have just worked.

Fingers crossed.

• Member Contributer

I had this exact problem this week. My speedo was behaving very erratically. On a steady throttle it would jump all over the place - 22, 11, 34, 9, 13, etc. Ran through the troubleshooting section in the Haynes manual and all the continuity checks and resistance readings checked out. Then I read this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74-how-to-fix-a-jumpy-speedometer/

I double checked mine and found it to be faulty. If the 'key' on the speed sensor has pushed through the nylon joint (like it has on yours), it won't sit far enough onto the front sprocket bolt to get a good grip. The sprocket bolt will spin inside it and eventually round out the inside of the joint. It's a cheap enough part, just replace it.

• Member Contributer

I had this exact problem this week. My speedo was behaving very erratically. On a steady throttle it would jump all over the place - 22, 11, 34, 9, 13, etc. Ran through the troubleshooting section in the Haynes manual and all the continuity checks and resistance readings checked out. Then I read this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/74-how-to-fix-a-jumpy-speedometer/

I double checked mine and found it to be faulty. If the 'key' on the speed sensor has pushed through the nylon joint (like it has on yours), it won't sit far enough onto the front sprocket bolt to get a good grip. The sprocket bolt will spin inside it and eventually round out the inside of the joint. It's a cheap enough part, just replace it.

Had the same exact thing happen on my first 5th gen. I just slid the white portion forward on the shaft and buttoned it back up. That lasted for at least 40K.

Yeah, about that...

I was told they'd ship Saturday. But I was also told they'd ship early this week.

To be honest, I've been kind of a pain in their ass, asking them every day...

Nah, not worried. I changed the scheme probably 5 times before they started. Had to send it back to paint once. It was done and ready to ship two weeks ago. I changed something up so it was delayed. They've done everything fine so far...

• Member Contributer

Nah, not worried. I changed the scheme probably 5 times before they started. Had to send it back to paint once. It was done and ready to ship two weeks ago. I changed something up so it was delayed. They've done everything fine so far...

When you are done, could you please re-summarize the cost for us? I can't find it in the almost two dozen pages!

Thank you.

When you are done, could you please re-summarize the cost for us? I can't find it in the almost two dozen pages!

Thank you.

Sure.

For just the fairing kit or total invested?

Just the kit:

$399 for any of their 6th gen kits, including custom paint and shipping. Also included free windscreen, bolt kit, rear seat cowl, and heat shielding.

$89 for custom matched tank cover.

• Member Contributer

Hope it all turns out well. I am looking for a track-worthy set, although if your Chinese fairing are any good, I might buy them as the good set!

In addition to Seb's clear clutch cover, have you thought about clear turn signals? Suspension? Valve check? OK, that last one is just silly...

Most importantly, how many VFRD rallies do you plan to make so the VFR can be used for its intended purpose? PRB's Fall Ride comes to mind...

• Member Contributer

Thank you.

Sure.

For just the fairing kit or total invested?

Just the kit:

$399 for any of their 6th gen kits, including custom paint and shipping. Also included free windscreen, bolt kit, rear seat cowl, and heat shielding.

$89 for custom matched tank cover.

Thank you! That seems to be too good to be true, but I sincerely hope to be wrong.

• Member Contributer

Well, assuming the seller reads this thread too, if he can do a good job at that price, he will get more orders....

Well, assuming the seller reads this thread too, if he can do a good job at that price, he will get more orders....

They're reading this, well at least they have. I will say that since my paint change to the 3 pieces, things have completely stopped moving. No more updates, no more pics, and responses are now more like 48/72 hours. I was told it was going to ship late last week, but never got tracking. I reached out again, and asked if it shipped. They're response "Yes, shipped for custom inspection"

So, I'm wondering if it's a stall tactic citing quality control, or if they meant it's been sent to customs. If that's the case, I'd have tracking info, no? Or do they need customs to sign off on it, before they can ship it? I'm not familiar with buying large items from China, so not sure of the protocol. But, they still do reply, it just seems things have slowed WAY down.

Viffer-

If you have read my other thread you will know that I hit some animal dung on the road and went down at about 35mph. The damage was pretty minor and limited to the plastics on the bike. After reading your thread and seeing the positive responses I decided to order my replacement plastic from Auctmarts. I made the order last Friday (18th) and recently sent them a question about shipping and they stated:

dearcustomer:
due to it is an expensive item and we must need more time to pack it, and also we have the inspection procedure before ship out, therefore take a little period to process it,
also we stored all the item in different location, that is the customer order and we arrange the fairing from the storage, and it must take time to do it,
and If you need the set urgent and I will hurry the process for you!
This response came less than an hour later so they are still responding to messages. I am going to assume my plastics and yours are getting stuffed onto the same boat and they are probably waiting to save on shipping. Just a guess of course, but they are still up and operating.
Hopefully this helps!

Archived