Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

In the 'I can't leave well enough alone' department, I'm pulling the trigger on a set of the newer ABS injected Chinese fairings. I've decided on using the seller named Auctmarts, which from what I can tell, is the lesser of all of evils when you read anything about these aftermarket kits. Seems all of the horrible experiences with Chinese fairings, are from years ago before the industry started using more modern methods of plastic molding. So, with the relatively low entrance fee, I'm gonna give it a shot. My 2002 only has ~9000 miles on it, but I'm the third owner and somewhere along it's history, things have toppled into it. So, I can either roll my eyes at it, when the nicks and scratches catch my eye every time I ride it, or do something about it. I'm going with a total color change, from red, to a white/black theme incorporating a little bit of the red back into it. Wifey doesn't know it yet, but my inspiration is the colors of the flag of her home country. I figure when she yells at me for spending more money on this thing, I throw that little tidbit at her, and BOOM. That'll shut her up... :)

Here's a before picture, which I've posted recently. Will keep updating throughout the process. I'm working with the seller now, to finalize paint details before I send money. Timeline and review to follow...

IMG_3320_zps2vtdjkzb.jpg

And because I know someone is gonna ask, here's a pic of wifey with the Viffer

B789A96D-E787-4084-8861-5027CE8B1F56_zps

Extra credit goes to anyone that can tell me her home country. :)

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

"I figure when she yells at me for spending more money on this thing, I throw that little tidbit at her, and BOOM. That'll shut her up... :)"

Sure it will. Can't wait to see the fairings installed!

[quote name="VifferCrab" post="1008941"

B789A96D-E787-4084-8861-5027CE8B1F56_zps

Hard to tell in the description and the pic of your lovely wife, but I'm going to guess Egypt or Syria, leaning towards Syria.

• Member Contributer

Wait until she finds out you call her 'wifey'... THEN you will hear her scream..

My vote is Sweden.

Hard to tell in the description and the pic of your lovely wife, but I'm going to guess Egypt or Syria, leaning towards Syria.

Not bad, very first time I've heard those for guesses though. The black/red/white flag is pointing you there I suppose...

Well it seems obvious to me... She's from the land of HOT!

Ha. Indeed...

Wait until she finds out you call her 'wifey'... THEN you will hear her scream..

My vote is Sweden.

Meh, she'll find something to scream about, regardless. This is a WOMAN we're talking about after all. ;)

Getting some great reviews

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=auctmarts+fairings+review

the flag is obviously a checkered flag..... youve won the race buddy!!!

That is one in depth review. Holy crap... Gonna go read the whole thing now.

Okay, so for the nationality guesses... take her country's flag out of it. Where does she look like she's from? In our 18 years together, and hundreds of guesses, only ONE person has ever gotten it right on the first try.

Here's another pic. Good luck.

IMG_2507_zpsbnofpbec.jpg

^^^^ HA. That's a lot of flags to go through... At first glance, I didn't see hers. :huh:

Back to the motorcycle thingy...

Not sure who's bike this is, but I think I'm leaning towards this overall design, but with slightly different color theme.

1. All white parts in this pic would stay WHITE

2. All striping would be same thickness, but be solid RED

3. All black parts would stay black

4. VFR and Interceptor logos would be RED, to match striping

5. Honda Wing and lower HONDA logos would be WHITE

6. Rear cowl would carry RED/WHITE/BLACK theme from tank across it

7. Wheels would change to WHITE

8. Mirrors would remain black and front windscreen would be smoked.

9. Bike already has Carbon Fiber exhaust, and I love the thought of that against the white rear plastic.

10 Already put Sargent seat on it, which looks kinda like carbon fiber and has red piping between pilot and pillion seats. Cowl would be there, but piping would still be visible.

11. Not sure on color of bolt kit. I think I like RED since there's such little red in my design, but then again, not sure if I want red dots, peppering all of the fairings. Might just have each bolt match it's colored fairing. I suck so bad at picturing this stuff...

Something like this, but with minor changes I stated above.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Do a schema like the RWB edition, but make all blue parts black, and change wheels to white. Easy peasy....

post-33389-0-05876400-1438883264.jpg

Not bad, very first time I've heard those for guesses though. The black/red/white flag is pointing you there I suppose...

Well it seems obvious to me... She's from the land of HOT!

Ha. Indeed...

My vote is Sweden.

Meh, she'll find something to scream about, regardless. This is a WOMAN we're talking about after all. ;)

Getting some great reviews

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=auctmarts+fairings+review

the flag is obviously a checkered flag..... youve won the race buddy!!!

That is one in depth review. Holy crap... Gonna go read the whole thing now.

Okay, so for the nationality guesses... take her country's flag out of it. Where does she look like she's from? In our 18 years together, and hundreds of guesses, only ONE person has ever gotten it right on the first try.

Here's another pic. Good luck.

IMG_2507_zpsbnofpbec.jpg

Heaven. She's from heaven... :goofy:

For country of origin, I'm going with Trinidad and Tobago.

Otherwise I'd have to agree with lint...

BOOM. She is indeed a Trini...

Finalizing details with the seller. Payment to be made tonight or tomorrow, then the clock starts. Will update.

I'll keep updating this post with timeline and experience.

So far, communication is decent. All emails are replied to within 24 hours but I've learned to only ask 1 succinct question per correspondence. They seem to have a problem when one email asks multiple things. It slows everything down a bit, but they do reply.

Also, after telling them I need to order the tank cover, which is additional for this particular kit, they sent me a paypal invoice without the additional charge for it. Then I received another email asking if I needed the tank cover. I told them no less than 3 times that I did in previous emails, so we'll see what happens. They also sent me duplicate invoices through PayPal. I cancelled one and paid one, which still didn't include the tank cover. Again, I stated I needed it in the PayPal transaction notes.

I also noted I'd like a custom paint job done. Their response is to pay first, then talk details. It's a bit of leap of faith, but I've read reviews stating similar protocol, so fingers crossed.

Payment made 10:30 PM EST on Aug 6th 2015.

Kit includes all plastics, including cowl, custom painted to anything I like. Free windscreen, bolt kit, and heat shielding for $399 shipped. Custom painted tank cover is another $80 shipped. I've found the same kit from other sellers for $50 less, but the small premium is worth peace of mind for their history of stellar reviews and 100% fitment guarantee and shipment damage guarantee.

Anyways, here we go. Clock is ticking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be very interested in your opinion of the bodywork once you receive and mount it. After center-punching a large deer at high speed recently, I'm in the market for some new plastic too. Unfortunately, from what I've read, it seems that the 6th gen bikes are the ones where the Chinese started injection molding the fairings. All the 5th gen Chinese fairings I've seen are compression molded, which appears to be the type to generate the most fitment and quality complaints, by far. Regardless, I'm still very interested in hearing about your new plastic, once it's received.

Following this for sure. I want to do a track day at some point on my '07, and the RWB fairings are way too precious to risk tearing up if I wreck. If your experience with the custom paint scheme is good, maybe I'll see if they can paint a set to match the ambulances I work on...

I have a full set of injection molded Chinese bodywork at my house right now. So far everything looks identical to factory. Have a tank cover also, paint and finish on it is not as good as the rest.

Will report back with progress.

:cheerleader::cheerleader:

Gonna like following your thread as I have on several occasion almost purchase one of these kits.

Thanks for the future info.

No problem. The forum has already helped me, it's my turn.

I'll be very interested in your opinion of the bodywork once you receive and mount it. After center-punching a large deer at high speed recently, I'm in the market for some new plastic too. Unfortunately, from what I've read, it seems that the 6th gen bikes are the ones where the Chinese started injection molding the fairings. All the 5th gen Chinese fairings I've seen are compression molded, which appears to be the type to generate the most fitment and quality complaints, by far. Regardless, I'm still very interested in hearing about your new plastic, once it's received.

As you've realized, and so did I, whatever you do, stay away from the compression molded stuff. That's the genesis of all the evil in the world, if you believe the reviews you read about it. The company I'm going with, does indeed have an ABS injected kit for the 5th gens. You pick it, and tell them the color schema you want. Looks to be a tiny bit pricier. Maybe more parts? Dunno...

Following this for sure. I want to do a track day at some point on my '07, and the RWB fairings are way too precious to risk tearing up if I wreck. If your experience with the custom paint scheme is good, maybe I'll see if they can paint a set to match the ambulances I work on...

They have a RWB kit readily available, although it's lines are slightly different. I was THIS close to going with it. In the end, I felt the RWB theme of this bike is so sacred, that It'd be an injustice to put it on. That said, I really don't care THAT much about it's history and lineage to not get something I really wanted, if RWB was the one for me. I wanted more white, just my taste at this very moment. But, the OEM RWB theme on the 6th gens is drool worthy.

I have a full set of injection molded Chinese bodywork at my house right now. So far everything looks identical to factory. Have a tank cover also, paint and finish on it is not as good as the rest.

Will report back with progress.

Oh wow. Great! Can you give us the details? Who'd you purchase from? What color scheme? Price paid? Freebies, etc.? Be nice to have a comparo...

Good luck with it. I'm very interested to see yours.

This is an option as well. They have a US based office in Florida and they will also do custom work, be it paint, graphics or the fairings themselves, i.e. I want to eventually convert my bike to a single side exhaust and they will work with me to make the rear cowl on enclosed piece, instead of having the big openings where the exhaust used to be. I just need to remove my exhaust and send them pics and they will figure out the rest.

http://shop.absfairings.com/

Archived