Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to hear about the grips. I switched to progrip 719s and they feel pretty good, but the fit was REAL tight on the left clip-on.

Also I would love to know about some new roads in maryland. I am in damascus. I am real familiar with 108, and 650 and most of the various small one lane roads off those routes. 

14 hours ago, Hosspower said:

Viffercrab, any suggestions for good rides through Maryland? I'm getting awfully bored with Catoctin. Your bike is gorgeous! I work in Frederick and would love to check it out sometime.

Where in the Frederick area is your office?   I'm buzzing around there ALL the time.   

Sure,  I'm in Catoctin area pretty much every time I ride.   It's very cool to go past Camp David entrance, stop and see if you can people rustled up back there.   :)

If you head out towards Boonsboro and pick up Rt34 towards Shepardstown, WV then down to Harper's Ferry and circle back to Frederick, it'a real pretty ride....

You should also check out the Frederick County covered bridges loop... there's 3 or 4 of em, all connected by some pretty nice, albeit slower, twisties.   

9 hours ago, fonque said:

sorry to hear about the grips. I switched to progrip 719s and they feel pretty good, but the fit was REAL tight on the left clip-on.

Also I would love to know about some new roads in maryland. I am in damascus. I am real familiar with 108, and 650 and most of the various small one lane roads off those routes. 

The answer for you is Catoctin Mountain Park.    Rt550, and Rt77  are sublime...  

I am at the Ford and Subaru dealer off the Golden Mile.

Been through Catoctin a lot over the past few weeks. My travels have taken me all over that area and into Pennsylvania. It doesn't matter where I'm going but it seems like I always hit 550 and 77 coming from my house in Carroll County. I have not tried out a Harpers Ferry run yet, although I was down in Jefferson and Burkittsville a couple of times in the past few days. Regarding the bridges' loop, I've heard others talk about it but have not tried that yet either. I'll get the loop from one of the Harley guys.

Thanks and hope to see you around.

Rob

I am at the Ford and Subaru dealer off the Golden Mile.

Been through Catoctin a lot over the past few weeks. My travels have taken me all over that area and into Pennsylvania. It doesn't matter where I'm going but it seems like I always hit 550 and 77 coming from my house in Carroll County. I have not tried out a Harpers Ferry run yet, although I was down in Jefferson and Burkittsville a couple of times in the past few days. Regarding the bridges' loop, I've heard others talk about it but have not tried that yet either. I'll get the loop from one of the Harley guys.

Thanks and hope to see you around.

Rob

Ahhhhh, the Golden Mile....

Next time I head down to Dutrows Honda for anything, I'll swing by. By the way, the older gentleman behind the parts counter at Dutrows is a VFR savant. He just happens to be a VFR guy, and knows every nut and bolt of these things. Nice guy too....

Anyway, I live on the other side of Frederick, in Lake Linganore, so my rides tend to send me through Thurmont and surrounding area.

Not many VFRs around, so mine is easy to pick out. If you see me, instead of the normal motorcycle salute, flip me the middle finger. That way I'll know it's you. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

im looking to buy a house around lake lignanore. I like that area.

There are not many VFR owners in the area, I have only seen 4 in the last 5 years. 

You'll love it. It's a pretty ridiculous place to raise kids, if you have any of those things. Between the lake, beaches, trails, and this guy flying over your house every nice weekend, it's tough to complain.

8500605004c4b611c1651d0e59276f1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Tail light.png

Did your kit come with all the right mounts?  I'm trying to put the tail light back on the rear cowl.  Unfortunately, I'm missing the threaded part that accepts the screw (#21 above).  It isn't listed as a separate part, probably because it is a part of the rear cowl.  The nut clips (#20) that accept the other bolts (#21) were easy to transfer over, but I don't think I can move the other one.  I may use self-tapping screws such as found on the front turn signals.  Did yours come with the right parts, or did you improvise?

On 9/13/2016 at 7:45 AM, Switchblade said:

:worthlesswithoutpics:

I will take pics when the bike is in one piece.  My pics won't look any different than what I already posted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic (kinda) question:

I recently picked up a couple extra motorcycles, and have kind of developed a crush on one of them in particular, a Ninja ZX6R 636.    I wasn't supposed to like this ZX6, but I do for some reason.  I bought it as a small project bike,  at a very good price.   My thinking was it was something to keep me busy over the winter, ripping it apart and making it like new, or better than new, as in the case of my VFR, then selling it in the spring.    However, the wife is now very much ready to not be a pillion anymore, and she's ready to be a pilot.   Since my love affair with the VFR was hugely fueled by all of the 2-up riding with the Missus,  it seems that may not be happening that frequently, come Spring time.    If that's the case,  there's few times I'd choose the VFR over the 636 mountain carver, which is was most of my riding involves.

That's a very round about way of saying that I'm having thoughts of selling the Viffercrab 800!   I think most people who followed this great build from inception to completion,  are probably already VFR owners and wouldn't be interested, but I dunno.   I also have mixed emotions about it, because it's a stunner, and a conversation starter everywhere I take it.   Something I put a lot of love and busted knuckles into,  and with my narcissistic and needy personality, I love it when that happens.  :)

What does the membership here think the machine is worth.   There's enough info in here to know how meticulous I was during the build but some other things to note would be that it would come with:

All of the OEM Italian Red fairings.  No cracks, but some minor scuffing  (Proves that it wasn't a rebuild due to accident)

BRAND new front/rear Qualifier Q3 tires

Can be sold with or without the Sargent seat

8 spoke rear

Delkevic carbon fiber exhaust

Fender eliminator

+2 Vortex rear sprocket (throws speedo off about 8%)

D.I.D. chain

Fresh Amsoil change

ummmmmm, what else....

It's nearly flawless.  Hell, I'm not even sure there's a spec of dirt on it to be honest.  

OOOOOH!   And something i like to call the "little porthole of orgasmic visual spinning thingy" most commonly referred to as the Sebspeed custom clear clutch cover.    EVERY single VFR owner should do this.   I can't tell you how often I get asked about it.

I basically replaced or upgraded most every single part of the outward facing parts of the bike.   It starts and runs flawlessly.    Hell, it only has 14,500 (ish) miles

Oh, and also have the stock rear wheel, and OEM exhaust.  

Again, not sure this forum would be my target audience, since most here are already blessed with a VFR of their own.  But I'm very much confused on what it'd be worth to someone.    This doesn't strike me as a Craigslist bike,  since I think that's a place for when you're ready to sell at wholesale or for when you're really looking for a quick flip.   This is not that type of bike.   Or maybe I just think that because I'm emotionally invested in it, and it's really only metal and plastic to whomever the new owner would be.  

So this very long winded question is:  Any thoughts from the very smart people here of what this thing is worth, in real American dollars?     I'm all ears...

Thanks gents...  

There's already a crapload of pics in this thread, here's the latest one posted a page or two ago.   I have 1.2 million more pics of it, if it's really needed. 

62E826BA-AA93-47B2-B821-B8F4E3270ECC_zps

• Member Contributer

I had a, '03 636 for a bit as a track bike. Turned out I was an idiot to think I could trust a guy I knew because it needed a transmission rebuild and a head rebuild. But it was a great learning experience! I split the cases to fix the trans and also did a head swap from an '05. I thought it was a great track bike, but on the street it felt like sitting on a stack of 2X4s. Very hard, and wanted to tip over. 

I had a, '03 636 for a bit as a track bike. Turned out I was an idiot to think I could trust a guy I knew because it needed a transmission rebuild and a head rebuild. But it was a great learning experience! I split the cases to fix the trans and also did a head swap from an '05. I thought it was a great track bike, but on the street it felt like sitting on a stack of 2X4s. Very hard, and wanted to tip over. 

I've put about 200 miles on this 2006 636, and I really like it. Has some miles, but runs smooth as butter. Maybe it's because I have a smaller frame, but it just seems to feel more like a tool, than the VFR. I absolutely adore my Viffer, especially for 2-up, but I can't keep buying bikes and not sell any. Decisions....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
I can't keep buying bikes and not sell any.

Now where did you get a dumb idea like that? He that dies with the most toys wins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived