Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Taking the 8 spoke to have junk tire removed, tomorrow, then headed out to powder coat. I then have an appt moved up on this Friday to have the front wheel removed, tire removed, and wheel broken down. I'll drop that one off Friday to the powder coater. Should have both wheels back on the bike early next week. Not really gonna match the current fairings too well, but at least that'll all be done by the time the fairings make it.

Grips and ends should be here in a day or two.

Gonna go ahead and order a new clean chain. Was gonna do a whole 3pc upgrade, but I actually need to start hiding stuff from the wife. She's wise to my hijinx. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be patronizing, but make sure the someone tapes off the bearing area of the wheels before they're powder coated.

It's one of those obvious steps that sometimes gets forgotten.

• Member Contributer

Taking the 8 spoke to have junk tire removed, tomorrow, then headed out to powder coat. I then have an appt moved up on this Friday to have the front wheel removed, tire removed, and wheel broken down. I'll drop that one off Friday to the powder coater. Should have both wheels back on the bike early next week. Not really gonna match the current fairings too well, but at least that'll all be done by the time the fairings make it.

Gonna go ahead and order a new clean chain. Was gonna do a whole 3pc upgrade, but I actually need to start hiding stuff from the wife. She's wise to my hijinx. ;)

Not to be patronizing, but make sure the someone tapes off the bearing area of the wheels before they're powder coated.

Bearings are being pulled on the front. Just dropped rear off at for powdercoat.

No, he's saying to make sure that the surface area where the bearings will be re-installed into are taped off. Getting new bearings back in with the added thickness of the powder coating is impossible. Keep the powder coating off of that area with tape, or you will have to spend a lot of time removing it to be able to install the bearings.

Bearings are being pulled on the front. Just dropped rear off at for powdercoat.

No, he's saying to make sure that the surface area where the bearings will be re-installed into are taped off. Getting new bearings back in with the added thickness of the powder coating is impossible. Keep the powder coating off of that area with tape, or you will have to spend a lot of time removing it to be able to install the bearings.

Ahhhh, got it. The wheel comes from the factory powder coated, correct? When they strip that off, then re powerdercoat it, it's a net zero, I'd think. Unless that area is left bare metal from the factory? I see your point though. This place does lots of motorcycle and car wheels, I'm sure they're familiar, but I'll remind them just in case. Thanks for the info...

• Member Contributer

Ahhhh, got it. The wheel comes from the factory powder coated, correct? When they strip that off, then re powerdercoat it, it's a net zero, I'd think. Unless that area is left bare metal from the factory? I see your point though. This place does lots of motorcycle and car wheels, I'm sure they're familiar, but I'll remind them just in case. Thanks for the info...

I'm not sure, but I think they come from the factory with paint. But even so, the bearing (and I think rotor) mounting surfaces are paint/coating free. (Or, at least that's what the old rims in my garage look like.) Check those areas after you have removed the tire, rotors, and bearings. You want them to come back from powder coating in the same condition. A good shop should be careful about those areas, but it never hurts to ask them before the work is done.

• Member Contributer

Never hurts to take some pics too... Before and after just to make sure. Even in front of the shop manager. Just to be sure. Just saying. And just for us too... Hehehe.

Bike is now at shop having front wheel taken off and broken down. The front wheel reunites with the rear wheel at the powdercoater tomorrow. With the holiday, I'd expect the wheels done and bike put back together early next week.

Haven't heard from the fairing vendor for a few days now. China is celebrating the 70th anniversary of VJ Day, or something like that. Whole country is shutdown.

Another package came...

126cdb6234742d0f4c48c227ff79be8d.jpg

From Auctmarts this morning:

"The paint job will be finished no later than Friday this week. We will keep you posted with updated pictures."

Should be able to pick up the bike tomorrow I'm hoping with freshly powder coated wheels, at least. Not really going to match, but at least that part will be done when the fairings arrive.

Corrections made to the 3 pieces. Ships tomorrow...

Wheels are done today, they got backed up over the holiday. New DID black/gold chain going on today, along with new front and +2 rear sprocket.

Here's the corrected pieces. Hopefully have in a week or so...

I'm hoping the funny looking striping on the cowl is just a reflection. From the cast of the shadows, it appears the sun is directly overhead...

2c818713ab69b6e76b1062248ce7836c.jpg

• Member Contributer

Those look absolutely too good to put on a bike send them to me and I can mount them on the wall in my shop .

Thanks guys, I'll just leave this picture here, to kind of give an idea of final(ish) draft. Once things start arriving, I'll of course add more pics. Wheels have been reunited with the bike, and the new sprockets with DID black/gold chain are being installed as I type this. Picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I WAS going to have the outer lips powder coated red to bring some of that color down onto the wheels, but apparently, it's much more difficult to do tape jobs and two-tones with powder, vs paint. The powder shop took the time to educate me, and actually show me what happens when you try to tape off with powder and do two colors, it wasn't pretty. They would do it, if I green lit it, but I wanted perfect, and they couldn't guarantee perfect. So, if I want that look, I can either take it and it do PAINT on the outer lips leaving the centers white powder coat, and that's still in play down the line. But for now, I'm just ready to get it all installed and get some time in before the weather turns cold on me, here in Maryland. I could always do the "Time Attack" wheel stripe tape, that seems to be very popular, but I like to be different. Anyway, It's probably gonna look a bit goofy until the new plastic arrives, but my excitement is now palpable. I've got TWO more aesthetic changes I'd like to give a shot at before I'm calling it done. I'll update with those as pics become available, but only if I pull it off successfully. :goofy:

3CD94C3A-9859-4795-B18A-D97EBA23B679_zps

• Member Contributer

Corrections made to the 3 pieces. Ships tomorrow...

Wheels are done today, they got backed up over the holiday. New DID black/gold chain going on today, along with new front and +2 rear sprocket.

Here's the corrected pieces. Hopefully have in a week or so...

I'm hoping the funny looking striping on the cowl is just a reflection. From the cast of the shadows, it appears the sun is directly overhead...

2c818713ab69b6e76b1062248ce7836c.jpg

There picture studio leaves alot to desire .

• Member Contributer

You don't like the cracked concrete backdrop? Pffft...

At least put a towel down or something, right? LOL... I thought the same thing... whacha gonna do? $479.00 shipped, with custom paint. :)

You gotta wonder what the paint booth look like .

But if the finished product is good i guess it does not matter .

You don't like the cracked concrete backdrop? Pffft...

At least put a towel down or something, right? LOL... I thought the same thing... whacha gonna do? $479.00 shipped, with custom paint. :)

You gotta wonder what the paint booth look like .

But if the finished product is good i guess it does not matter .

I'm guessing I won't be entering it into the Concours d'Elegance anytime soon. Everyone that's posted on other bike forums about buying these things all say the paint is like a 9/10... I'll take it.

I will say the wheels are a 10/10. That shop killed it.

• Member Contributer

Anyway, It's probably gonna look a bit goofy until the new plastic arrives, but my excitement is now palpable.

It won't look goofy. Red VFR's with white wheels look pretty awesome...assuming the wheels aren't covered with brake dust. :)

Archived