Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

I took two laps around Retard Park with them thru clearly written emails. They failed both times. The fault is not mine. Remember, I didn't assume they could understand English: they made that fact known on their website.

Retard park?

So... how well do you speak Chinese?

I don't. Here's the difference: I don't claim to either.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience was significantly different. Maybe you could've just sent the pics?

Meh, better off. My guess is you'd find something wrong with it.

After finally pulling it out of the garage for the first dry day since all of these east coast storms. I did find one small spot in the clear coat that's not awesome. You really have to pick it apart to find something wrong. But, this is a budget replacement, so always keep that in mind. I'm extremely happy, and think they did an excellent job fulfilling my needs. After my ride, I confirmed the paint didn't fly off, and all fairings made it back attached to the bike. Not bad... :)

I got the windscreen to fit, there's a small gap at either side of the very top point. A few mm's on both sides. I did notice on my first ride, that the airflow over the windscreen hits my dead square in the helmet now. 60-70 mph speeds resulted in turbulence that jostled my head a bit. Order proper double bubble probably here shortly.

YMMV

Three phases, not including stock. Tank gets dropped at paint, late this week.

b1b92cb56f0e6e71b888b31239640b41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong: I'm impressed with everything about it. Don't mistake that I'm not a fan of what they have seemed to do at an attractive price point. I am.

I remain not a fan of the way they handle email correspondance for a company that purports otherwise. Like you said: 9 out of 10.

Is the screen they sent you differently shaped from the one you had on it? You had...the OEM one? Is their's a direct copy of the OEM? If so, wonder why there is such a difference in how the wind hits you now with the new one. Or maybe your original one had the same issue?

It's a bit shorter double-bubble sport "type" knockoff. It's bolted up, albeit a few mm's off at the top corners. It was a freebie throw in, so wasn't expecting much. Could probably be heated and massaged into place. Not really my thing... I'll either spray paint my OEM one and see how it looks, or just get a real quality screen.

• Member Contributer

I've read that spraypainting the inside of a stock screen flat black works well... from the front of the bike it appears shiny and black with the natural reflection of the plastic, though you can't see thru it anymore

• Member Contributer

Maybe the USA should "liberate" China and bring proper command of the english language to them eh?

Also bring them our standard of working hours; in China is is deemed ok for students not to exceed 60 hours factory work per week beside their study.

Oh no wait. that will increase the prices of Chinese goods... But the time then spend on english classes will improve their communication skills with the world....

:lobby:

simply sending a picture would have clarified matters...

• Member Contributer

Before you go and paint your stock screen, try Plastidip. Give the back side a liberal coating.

Here's my stock screen :

P1030371%202_zpse1m7hbdp.jpg

Before you go and paint your stock screen, try Plastidip. Give the back side a liberal coating.

Here's my stock screen :

P1030371%202_zpse1m7hbdp.jpg

Welp, that did it for me. I'll off to Home Depot this afternoon, they have a house brand that's very similar to plastidip. I have a can of it in matte grey, that I used for the rotor hats on my SL600.

Thanks for sharing.

Don't get me wrong: I'm impressed with everything about it. Don't mistake that I'm not a fan of what they have seemed to do at an attractive price point. I am.

I remain not a fan of the way they handle email correspondance for a company that purports otherwise. Like you said: 9 out of 10.

Is the screen they sent you differently shaped from the one you had on it? You had...the OEM one? Is their's a direct copy of the OEM? If so, wonder why there is such a difference in how the wind hits you now with the new one. Or maybe your original one had the same issue?

So the communication thing, isn't that bad, if you go into not expecting English grammar majors. Their English was perfectly acceptable to me, the only thing I caution against is asking too many questions per correspondence. I figured out early, that ONE email ONE question, and you'll get a succinct answer, maybe missing a verb or two. The replies took no more than 24 hours during the ordering phase, and no more than 48 hours during my 'bitching' phase about why it was 2 weeks late in shipping. I felt like I always got replies from the same person, for some reason. Just felt that way, I liked it. They were never rude, never complained about me constantly changing my mind, and always gave me the sense I was in Jamaica with a "No problem, mon" type reply. That kind of worried me, to be honest.

In the end, everything turned out fine, as you can see. Except the tank cover, but we've covered that ad nauseam already.

As always, YMMV.

To elaborate on the clear coat imperfection while I'm at it. At the seam where the front fairing meets the nose fairing, on the right hand side, you can see an accumulation of too much clear coat on the side fairing. This appears to be from hanging during the spray/dry process. Looks to me, a little more than what was needed, was applied and it collected at the bottom while it was hanging. I never saw this at all during the install. Wasn't until I finally rode it yesterday in the sun, and I really decided to try and pick apart any imperfections. That's the only one that kinda bothered me a bit. If I was a betting man, which I am, I'd reckon nobody will ever notice it. I can live with that.

• Member Contributer

No problem mon.....

It might be your Trinidad and Tobago paint scheme made him think that everyone in the Caribean/USA uses that phrase :-)

No problem mon.....

It might be your Trinidad and Tobago paint scheme made him think that everyone in the Caribean/USA uses that phrase :-)

Ha! I know, right?

Little tidbit of information that may only interest me. Before meeting my Trinidadian wife, I thought Jamaica and Trinidad are very similar in culture, vernacular, phrases, etc... I couldn't have been more wrong. They actually sound nothing like each other, Trinidadian's speech is very sing/songish, if that makes sense. Pitchy, if you will. And both Jamaicans and Trinis don't like to be compared to each other. They both turn their nose up at the other for some reason. No clue why. Trini's actually have a huge British and East Indian and Asian influence, and they're right off the coast of Venezuela, which pumps out the hottest women on the planet. As you can see by the pics of my wife, not a bad mix. :)

We went for Carnival a few years ago and "played mas" and J'ouvert with these guys... Good lord...

HD is your friend on this video.

You're welcome. ;)

Tank is off, and heading to paint...

Used my topside oil extractor that I use to change the oil in a couple of my cars, via its dipstick hole. My fuel gauge had just started blinking after my ride yesterday to burn fuel. Still has a lot in the tank when it's blinking...

b409a78375a9e69c7661ad051cb10291.jpg

6fc07fffded01e27c7b3efb6359627e3.jpg

a812300b176e922f371df6667e928106.jpg

8b45ef09fff98c5f06d710757936f94c.jpg

Golf tees are useful.

2bb2bf1b0638182b65d8cd2288da4224.jpg

690398eea0ea8f2d3ce80e12fb524db3.jpg

5829bcadbd258f8fe91de80f0416be2e.jpg

• Member Contributer

Do I foresee a window to your V4 soul in the near future?!?

BTW... ya Mon, HD a good ting!

• Member Contributer

I think you'll be glad you painted the tank - it will tie it all together and give you a one of a kind bike!

Some weirdo guy named Seb says "Hey, I can do cool chit to your cover, mail it to me" ;)

I think he's gonna paint SpongeBob on it or something. Fingers crossed.

Close up pic of all the voodoo that goes on in there.

1cd4747c49aa0bb8f3cdca555177f0d1.jpg

You should put heavier clutch springs in, while you're in there.

And a new fuel filter, while the tank is off.

Not a bad idea... Only has 10K miles on it, but as you've seen, I like doing stuff, just to do it. So, maybe... Thanks for the input, good stuff.

• Member Contributer

If anyone has been trying to order from auctmarts and have not received any order confirmation or answers to their questions in the last few days, I just realized it has been a Chinese Holiday from Oct 1 till today.

• Member Contributer

A whole week? That's a hell of a holiday!

that is nothing, I get 30+ days paid vacation...

Archived