Viffercrab's Chinese Fairings Build Thread

VifferCrab

• Member Contributer

Quick check with Partszilla and cowls are not that expensive , sure not $2500.

Add up the cost of all the plastics on a VFR - even discounted - and it's scary, actually.

On my 8th gen, replacing all the significant bits of outer plastic adds up to about $2100 via Service Honda (including a $129 windscreen).

Your model has a whole lot more parts than a 2012 CBR1000RR.

I couldn't stand to sit through the video but I take it as an example.

Look at the exploded drawing of the mid-cowl for a 2012 RR and it's not that much less, um, granular than the VFR. The uppers are simpler for sure.

Looks to me like Service Honda could do the major bits on the RR for a bit over $1700 plus shipping.

Still nothing to sneeze at!

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked up solely the plastics on my VFR on Service Honda. For the two side fairings, the front upper and the rear with the two grip cover plates and the seat cowl, it is $1223. Sure, less than the $2500, but that is also two to three sets of chinese farings and you could have different colors and still have/store your factory fairings, which if in excellent condition, would greatly increase the sale value if you wanted to change bikes.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I,ve bought those cheap Chinese fairings and as for fit they are painted ok but the mounts are poorly done ,you would be better of getting some spare stockers and have them painted the way you want learn from my mistake don't buy them the fit sucks.

• 1 month later...

Quick check-in since it's warmed up in the Washington DC area this week. Got her out for a few miles. Nothing disintegrated over the winter, and this thing still starts conversations with people, at a rate that baffles me. Seb's clutch cover is still the star of the show, but that's always followed by the paint scheme and what they initially think is a very expensive custom bike.

Color me satisfied. Still. Hope all is well here at VFRD

4d7382c1644c495d39e91be510a3687b.jpg

e2b679d50ac072cd29a77d760920dccd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I like the "props" to Seb with his SebSpeed decal next to the clutch window... the red pressure plate goes nice with the paint scheme. Nicely done!

• Member Contributer

I like the "props" to Seb with his SebSpeed decal next to the clutch window... the red pressure plate goes nice with the paint scheme. Nicely done!

+1 The decal gives it a subtle custom touch. Looks very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick check-in since it's warmed up in the Washington DC area this week. Got her out for a few miles. Nothing disintegrated over the winter, and this thing still starts conversations with people, at a rate that baffles me. Seb's clutch cover is still the star of the show, but that's always followed by the paint scheme and what they initially think is a very expensive custom bike.

Color me satisfied. Still. Hope all is well here at VFRD

4d7382c1644c495d39e91be510a3687b.jpg

e2b679d50ac072cd29a77d760920dccd.jpg

I did a similar scheme on my vfr to break up the yellow. d41947b171b3156983bf076186d3d6d4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally starting to log some miles this year. Poor girl has just been sitting. Put about 300 miles on her over 3 days or so...

Nothing has changed. Damn near every time I stop somewhere, someone asks what it is, why does it sound so unique, and what the hell is that spinning thing in the porthole. :)

e3f9ae42d9e6e07a618d1dcad9024eba.jpg

• Member Contributer

Get hold of member "Seb" on here. I've got one, great piece of work.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

After some time and sending in a paint chip sample from my destroyed lower fairing, I have the fairings in my possession.  Unfortunately, they remain in the box.  I was asked not to open them if the "tampering sticker" below was missing or broken.  I emailed them and the reply was "what sticker?"handle_with_care.JPG

Any ideas?  What happens if I open the box, and someone switched out my colors for yellow (gasp!)?  Here are the teaser pics they sent before mailing:

Auctmarts Chinese Fairing 6E96A8D6@A784AA3E.B555C657.jpgAuctmarts Chinese Fairing 8D041240@A784AA3E.B555C657.jpg

Surely customs opened the box.

So if the sticker is already broken, what does it matter if you open the box too? They could never know. Photograph the broken sticker and just open the box and carefully check for damage.

How could they ever know if you photographed the sticker as it was broken on arrival or after breaking it yourself?

• Member Contributer

Looks like a " dont drop glass inside sticker" to me Steve. If you are worried about tampering make a video log of the opening of the box. Don't know if it would help tho.

36 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Joining in a bit late.

VifferCrab, it looks great!

Just curious about the hugger you mentioned much earlier. 

Thanks...

yeah, hugger doesn't fit.  I still have it brand new, sitting in my toolbox somewhere.    I suppose I could take up Jai Alai, and use it for that.   :)

On October 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM, fonque said:

I have read thorugh almost all 40+ pages of this thread. I only have 1 negative comment.

I love the bike and the paint scheme. I am in the middle of collecting parts for a similar build myself. Your build gives me something to keep me motivated.

The only bad comment I have about your bike are the Driven D3 grips are garbage. They will wear out in less than a season. and you wont be able to remove them without cutting the metal collars in half with a dremel. I have owned 2 sets of them, And both had to be cut off. The collars, over time, will lock the grips in place. I tried to remove them with WD-40 and air and the grips twisted and tore in half right at the metal collar. I learned the hard way that $50 grips makes no sense.

I also forgot to add that the red will fade into pink with relatively little use. The anodized layer is very thin.

I should also circle back on this....

You were indeed correct.   The grips have indeed worn out already after about 5000 miles, maybe a little less.     I really only ride twisty mountain roads, most of time so lots of off/on throttle,  rev-match blipping etc...   the rubber part of the grip, started to split on the clutch side, and has mostly worn out on both sides.

You were right.

The kit looks great... just the rubber inserts leave much to be desired I guess.   The good news is, they sell replacement inserts for relatively cheap if I decide to keep the current kit.  

• Member Contributer

So I broke into the box after encouragement by the rebels on VFRD.  The first fairing out is the left lower and it looks fantastic.  I'm hoping the all-paint Chinese fairing takes more abuse than the stickers from the OEM RWB fairings.  They seemed to get scratched just looking at them.  I will take the rest out tomorrow at some point and probably stick them on the bike.  Or go ride.  So many good choices.

Congrats. I'm glad to see my work here has hopefully led to a at least a few happy customers. For the price, it's hard to find fault with this particular undertaking.

I've learned a lot from this forum. Glad to have contributed back to the membership.

Enjoy your new fairings. I'm sure they'll look amazing.

Archived