New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Good solution, but any reason not to just dremel out the sides of both openings ("speed holes") a little wider to allow the clearance and have a visual match?  Seems to me it may look better than bent plastic. 

Trying to save up the $ myself for a set for my 6g...

4 hours ago, rhoderage said:

Good solution, but any reason not to just dremel out the sides of both openings ("speed holes") a little wider to allow the clearance and have a visual match?  Seems to me it may look better than bent plastic. 

Trying to save up the $ myself for a set for my 6g...

I didn't want to cut away material. 

I gave some consideration to going the Dremel route but decided to keep all of the original strength that the fairing chin insert had.  I just wasn't in the right mood to start cutting on things (in the past I've done a lot of Dremel modifications to motorcycles, but so far I haven't done any to either of my 5th Gens, maybe that was a factor in today's choice).

My opinion on the Dremel vs. heat-bending situation is that neither solution will leave the chin insert "speed holes" looking as good as they did in their OEM profile.  So definitely go with your personal preference.  Either way the fairing chin insert isn't something I notice when I look at a VFR, it's pretty much out of view from almost any angle.

And if someone does notice the bent area it'll give me the perfect opportunity to bore the pants off them by telling all about my totally bitchin' stainless steel performance exhaust system.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, eyrwbvfr said:

With all the talk of the one 5th gen pipe interference with the fairing cover, will it or can it be corrected in the next production batch run?

I had that talk with sfdownhill and we are going to bring this and a few other little quirks up with Wade. My guess is any issues we had will be resolved if/when we can get the next minimum order fulfilled.

• Member Contributer

Sorry if I missed it, lots of activity in this thread since I checked last, has anyone done a before and after dyno run and if so what were the gains? 

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

Sorry if I missed it, lots of activity in this thread since I checked last, has anyone done a before and after dyno run and if so what were the gains? 

Yes there were two done, one for a 5 Gen and one for a 6 Gen. Check pages 7 and 14. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dyno run done today 2002 vfr800 with a Tinyminds map, four short velocity stack, pipercross, new header and a Austin racing muffler.  Need to sort out fueling I assume.

Scan_0001.jpg

Scan_0001.jpg

• Member Contributer

Finally got around to installing the new headers on my 5th generation yesterday. My nephew helped me and it was still a pain in the ass. Is anyone else experiencing this pipe melting into the fairing? Also, knowing others had trouble aligning the fronts to the bolts my nephew just stretched those apart using brute force- they then lined up fairly well. 

20190803_170518.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 3:42 AM, sfdownhill said:

Duc2V4 and I got the first nasty surprise of this project when we went to pay Wade the balance due and pick up the headers VFRD members had ordered and paid for.

Our group had ordered a total of 24 sets of 5/6 gen headers, but the amount due was the balance on the cost of 25 headers. The extra cost - $760, equal to the price of one set of headers at the beginning of the project - was Wade's charge for building the fixture/jig from which the headers were built. This blindsided Duc2V4 and I more than a bit, but it became clear that Wade was not pulling a fast one; he simply charges one unit cost to build a jig. We simply had not understood this until the eleventh hour. We were 130 miles from home, and were not going to be able to take delivery of our 24 headers unless the fixture charge was paid along with the cost of the headers.

Duc2V4 stepped up big time and personally paid the $760 fixture charge. This was above and beyond the set of headers he was getting for his 5 gen. He saved us all from a minimum two week delay to sort out the additional cost and ask all purchasers for an additional payment.

Here is my request: Most of us are going to receive our headers this week, so this is a good time to ask that each of us who ordered headers now send Duc2V4 $32 per set of headers to pay him back. I used my personal paypal to send $32 to Duc2V4 at the vfrheaders@gmail.com paypal account.

[$32 is the nearest whole dollar amount to $760 divided by 24 - the number of headers we ordered]

Thank you very much, everybody.

This needed to be reposted as I've just learned that only a few people stepped up and took care of their extra burden. Lance and Darryl have put a huge effort into getting this done and I find it quite insulting that there are people in this community willing to take advantage of these 2 hardworking generous guys. How many other people here would literally spend thousands of dollars of their own money to get some cool stuff for the small group of buyers here? The answer is very few! 

Does it suck that the price went up? Of course! Is it fair to make these 2 nice guys bite the big one for the sake of a dozen ppl saving $32? Uh no!! 

Let's get this done folks.  It's the right thing to do, and it may just bring that wind back to the sails of additional header production.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
I had that talk with sfdownhill and we are going to bring this and a few other little quirks up with Wade. My guess is any issues we had will be resolved if/when we can get the next minimum order fulfilled.
One other issue I experienced was the right fairing melting onto one of the pipes due to how far to the right one of the header pipe protrudes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I can’t believe I’m seeing what I’m seeing.... actual, live in the flesh (stainless steel), new performance headers for the VFR800’s!

I hope the more recent owners of VFR800s appreciate the gravity and significance of this accomplishment!  If I had any plans for more kids I would name them after these two fine gentlemen!

Thank you seems like too small an acknowledgment.... we should have a ride, throw a party, and consume mass quantities!

All I can do for now is thank you and acknowledge and support your efforts.  Next time I’m in your area of the country dinner and drinks are on me!

Please put me down for two sets of headers; a 5th gen full system and an 8th gen version... I already told the book keeper (wife) I’m getting them so let me know where to send the money.

I know I’ve been gone for a while... I’d like to let my friends on VFRD know that everything is ok now and I’m stoked to be back!

BTW... it took me three days to read through this thread!

.... and I loved every minute of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Good to have you back Russ and that everything is OK.

It sure has been a while, but it seems you're back rite where you left off, ready to purchase the unobtainium. 

Cheers bo 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, eyrwbvfr said:

So still waiting to see how far off we are on kicking off the next batch for the 5g headers.    How many do we have with deposits or how many more do we need?   This season or next?

Sorry, life, work balance isn’t where we like it to be at the moment. SF and I have been busy with other things at the moment but we’ll be posting up soon, most likely in a new thread. We are also trying to negotiate with the builder to see if we can lessen the minimum order but that negotiation is still on going. If the minimum doesn’t change, then we will need 15 to get the next run in and depending on how soon we can collect 15 orders will dictate whether is this season or the next. Right now with the few inquiries being made, it looks like we are still needing double digits to complete a 15 order minimum.

• Member Contributer

I installed the new headers and I just want to thank the two fine gentlemen who generously donated their valuable time and not insignificant effort to get these headers fabricated, built and shipped. I cannot stress how much better the bike pulls now, especially after around 5k rpm. I hope everyone who ordered the 1st batch of 5G headers chips in to not only help defray the extra costs not anticipated but to reward these 2 guys who did all the hard work. And man these new headers look great!
1c8bf4ce2be50b09f2c40380fc9c4232.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I got my bike back yesterday.  Hoping to take it out tomorrow or Friday.  Just wanted to say MUCHAS GRACIAS!! to SFDownhill and also to Duc2V4 for all their hard work, dedication, patience, and attention to detail.  It was a pleasure meeting and working through the process with SF and I'm looking forward to meeting up with him and Duc for a ride someday!  Crappy cell phone pic below, better pictures to follow...

1258387133_20190813_080144sml.jpg.ea9219a8c75b4b987fba214c42290f86.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
On 8/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Sorry, life, work balance isn’t where we like it to be at the moment. SF and I have been busy with other things at the moment but we’ll be posting up soon, most likely in a new thread. We are also trying to negotiate with the builder to see if we can lessen the minimum order but that negotiation is still on going. If the minimum doesn’t change, then we will need 15 to get the next run in and depending on how soon we can collect 15 orders will dictate whether is this season or the next. Right now with the few inquiries being made, it looks like we are still needing double digits to complete a 15 order minimum.

You can change my order to two (2) 5th/6th headers if that helps move the needle closer to production.  I’ll buy an 8th gen for front rads at a later date. Let me know where/when/how to place deposit or pay in full.

• Member Contributer
On 8/8/2019 at 8:20 PM, Rush2112 said:

I can’t believe I’m seeing what I’m seeing.... actual, live in the flesh (stainless steel), new performance headers for the VFR800’s!

I hope the more recent owners of VFR800s appreciate the gravity and significance of this accomplishment!  If I had any plans for more kids I would name them after these two fine gentlemen!

Thank you seems like too small an acknowledgment.... we should have a ride, throw a party, and consume mass quantities!

All I can do for now is thank you and acknowledge and support your efforts.  Next time I’m in your area of the country dinner and drinks are on me!

Please put me down for two sets of headers; a 5th gen full system and an 8th gen version... I already told the book keeper (wife) I’m getting them so let me know where to send the money.

I know I’ve been gone for a while... I’d like to let my friends on VFRD know that everything is ok now and I’m stoked to be back!

BTW... it took me three days to read through this thread!

.... and I loved every minute of it!

So glad to have you back! You were missed and we have some catching up to do when you get down (strike that now) up to the Eastern TN area ping me.

• Like 1