sfdownhill

New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

Good solution, but any reason not to just dremel out the sides of both openings ("speed holes") a little wider to allow the clearance and have a visual match?  Seems to me it may look better than bent plastic. 

Trying to save up the $ myself for a set for my 6g...

4 hours ago, rhoderage said:

Good solution, but any reason not to just dremel out the sides of both openings ("speed holes") a little wider to allow the clearance and have a visual match?  Seems to me it may look better than bent plastic. 

Trying to save up the $ myself for a set for my 6g...

I didn't want to cut away material. 

I gave some consideration to going the Dremel route but decided to keep all of the original strength that the fairing chin insert had.  I just wasn't in the right mood to start cutting on things (in the past I've done a lot of Dremel modifications to motorcycles, but so far I haven't done any to either of my 5th Gens, maybe that was a factor in today's choice).

My opinion on the Dremel vs. heat-bending situation is that neither solution will leave the chin insert "speed holes" looking as good as they did in their OEM profile.  So definitely go with your personal preference.  Either way the fairing chin insert isn't something I notice when I look at a VFR, it's pretty much out of view from almost any angle.

And if someone does notice the bent area it'll give me the perfect opportunity to bore the pants off them by telling all about my totally bitchin' stainless steel performance exhaust system.

• Like 2

Would bigger speed holes help your heat issues?

I just took a box cutter to it and was done in 60 seconds, looks just fine and it's not like anyone will be looking there anyway lol3a4fee5f6ed52dc1616f7644c7aa5e83.jpg8d634806ee479d1e496ae28672c5394e.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With all the talk of the one 5th gen pipe interference with the fairing cover, will it or can it be corrected in the next production batch run?

12 hours ago, eyrwbvfr said:

With all the talk of the one 5th gen pipe interference with the fairing cover, will it or can it be corrected in the next production batch run?

I had that talk with sfdownhill and we are going to bring this and a few other little quirks up with Wade. My guess is any issues we had will be resolved if/when we can get the next minimum order fulfilled.

Sorry if I missed it, lots of activity in this thread since I checked last, has anyone done a before and after dyno run and if so what were the gains? 

4 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

Sorry if I missed it, lots of activity in this thread since I checked last, has anyone done a before and after dyno run and if so what were the gains? 

Yes there were two done, one for a 5 Gen and one for a 6 Gen. Check pages 7 and 14. 

• Thanks 1