Jump to content
sfdownhill

New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the heads up!

 

Where in So Cal - is there a reason why the name of the shop is not listed/mentioned?  I'm assuming it's in Orange or San Diego county?

Re: Note a - Can an 8th gen order be included in the initial group order or does he require an additional 15 orders solely for 8th gens? 

Do the two O2 sensor locations from the 6th gen also work properly for the 8th gen?

Also just curious, will the exhaust system differ based upon what kind of fuel management, what kind of muffler, or whether or not dyno tuning will be performed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Re: Note c - can we have Wade perform the expansion of our midpipe connector for an additional fee? (applies to local members only I'd imagine)

1a) Re: Note c-  Possible to pay extra to have the 49mm midpipe connection as modifying a Staintune may be out of the question for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Thanks for the heads up!

 

Where in So Cal - is there a reason why the name of the shop is not listed/mentioned?  I'm assuming it's in Orange or San Diego county?

Re: Note a - Can an 8th gen order be included in the initial group order or does he require an additional 15 orders solely for 8th gens? 

Do the two O2 sensor locations from the 6th gen also work properly for the 8th gen?

Also just curious, will the exhaust system differ based upon what kind of fuel management, what kind of muffler, or whether or not dyno tuning will be performed?

 

 

Good questions, Samuel.

1 - we have chosen not to list the fabricator’s website or exact location because, in the past, several potential manufacturers and distributors of headers have been driven away when multiple enthusiastic VFR owners - with only the best of intentions - went around the member already in contact with the supplier, directly calling and emailing the supplier into a frustrated state of disinterest.

 

2 - on Note a, we have discussed with Wade  the differences between 5th/6th gen headers and those for 8th gen. Because the headers will be constructed on an assembly line in jigs/fixtures that facilitate a specific confguration, production runs of 15 units will happen for one configuration at a time. Part of producing the 8th gen header will probably be making the front primaries modular so that a rear primary/collector assembly can be designed to fit all three gens - 5th/6th gen or 8th gen front primaries can then be selected depending on which gen the customer has requested headers for. Getting Wade to buy in to the viability of this project was tough. The more we demonstrated a fully developed objective with no complicating variables, the more willing he became to participate. As a result,  distilling the first production run to a single configuration that matched the sample TBR we had on hand was mandatory.

 

3 - nope, each 5th/6th gen header will be exactly the same. Detailed specs are listed in the original post.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thtanner said:

1) Re: Note c - can we have Wade perform the expansion of our midpipe connector for an additional fee? (applies to local members only I'd imagine)

1a) Re: Note c-  Possible to pay extra to have the 49mm midpipe connection as modifying a Staintune may be out of the question for me.

 

Hi Tanner

1 - on Note c, yes, purchasers of headers can send or bring their midpipe/slipon to Wade’s shop to have it expanded. Expansion is literally a 5 minute task with the right tool - a hydraulic pipe expander. I’ve watched Wade do it. It will be much more cost and time efficient to stop by a quality local exhaust shop that has a hydraulic expansion machine and hire them to expand a midpipe as described in OP.

 

1a - the tough answer is that no changes will be made to the specifications of units in the first production run. It will help if all of us, as a single community, think of our group as being in a position to respect the fabricator’s process and continue to earn his trust as we simultaneously motivate him to take on a second production run of VFR headers. There may be a possibility of opting for a 49mm exit pipe in later production runs, but probably not.

The pleasant answer is that like you, I have a Staintune slipon and will be having its clamp end expanded to fit the new headers. I will report back to you as soon as my pipe has been modified. For expanding mine, I plan to use a known auto muffler shop within 2 miles of my home that has done automobile catalytic converter work for me, friends, and family members.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in for the 8th.  no questions asked.

Also let wade know I have the modded airbox,  rapid bike race with ignition timing/fuel control,  pipercross air filter,  short med. and long mufflers standing by for tuning once he gets the 8th header out.  I could take some leave maybe if you guys need a bike.  or if you had a VFR in trade for a week or two while fabbing.  ^_^ Cause I daily drive the '14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Lance and Duc2V4 - you guys are AWESOME! 

 

Congratulations on succesding where so many others (including myself!) have failed. You’re a credit to us and I’m very grateful - I know you’ve been beavering away at this for a long, long time. 

 

When the 8th gen run begins I’ll put my name down for one (want a front-mount rad on my 5th gen). 

 

Once more: WELL DONE AND THANKS! 

 

Stray

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

 

Great going with this.  It has been a looooong road to get to this point.

 

I too am interested in an 8th Gen set due to my modded radiator setup with now no side rads at all.

 

Keep us informed as to when it is getting towards the 8th Gen set heading to production and I'll chip in my deposit.

 

I'd need to get is shipped to New Zealand, would that be possible?

 

Cheers

Phil

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voided 76, Stray, and HighSideNZ - we are getting a lot of responses from 8th gen owners, which is very cool! I'll add you three to the list I'm about to start; the B-list [no offense intended if you end up on the B-list] which will consist of people who are interested in purchasing a header, but would prefer to wait before placing a deposit.

 

Check out my response to Samuelx 3 or 4 posts up from this one - it includes information about developing this header for the 8th gen.

 

HighSideNZ - I'm sure shipping to NZ can be arranged. Maybe you could PM with some coaching on the best way to accomplish this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In for 5th gen full system. What's the muffler gonna be? I like the sound of my Delkevic 8" slip-on, so I'd like something similar with minimal baffling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Airisom said:

In for 5th gen full system. What's the muffler gonna be? I like the sound of my Delkevic 8" slip-on, so I'd like something similar with minimal baffling.

 

Hi Airisom - thanks for your interest! As Note h in the OP vaguely states, we have not pinned down the 5th gen full system specs or pricing beyond "It can be high or low mount, and the muffler canister can be metal or carbon". Sorry. We're doing our best not to tip the boat with any variables until we have the prototype in our hands, but we'll get on the 8th gen header, 5th gen full system, and, if at all possible, a 6th gen full system once the prototype testing is done and the first production run is under way. [ps on the QT, I'm leaning toward a full system for my 5th gen and once we get to that point, will attempt to nudge the design toward spring tension fittings between the header and the midpipe]

 

PM for info on making a deposit or to be added to the B list, which is the' interested but not quite ready to make a deposit' group. Include answers to the informal survey so we can keep our thumbs on the pulse of the project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like highside NZ, since ive got a front mount rad, and low mounted oil cooler, the 8th gen splayed pipes would come in handy for me  and my 5th gen too.

Nice work, we are almost up and running.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SFD I have the money up front if need be.  again.  I got money,  AND time,  currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Voided76 said:

SFD I have the money up front if need be.  again.  I got money,  AND time,  currently.

 

Cool - thanks Voided76. PM sent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, sfdownhill said:

 

Good questions, Samuel.

1 - we have chosen not to list the fabricator’s website or exact location because, in the past, several potential manufacturers and distributors of headers have been driven away when multiple enthusiastic VFR owners - with only the best of intentions - went around the member already in contact with the supplier, directly calling and emailing the supplier into a frustrated state of disinterest.

 

2 - on Note a, we have discussed with Wade  the differences between 5th/6th gen headers and those for 8th gen. Because the headers will be constructed on an assembly line in jigs/fixtures that facilitate a specific confguration, production runs of 15 units will happen for one configuration at a time. Part of producing the 8th gen header will probably be making the front primaries modular so that a rear primary/collector assembly can be designed to fit all three gens - 5th/6th gen or 8th gen front primaries can then be selected depending on which gen the customer has requested headers for. Getting Wade to buy in to the viability of this project was tough. The more we demonstrated a fully developed objective with no complicating variables, the more willing he became to participate. As a result,  distilling the first production run to a single configuration that matched the sample TBR we had on hand was mandatory.

 

3 - nope, each 5th/6th gen header will be exactly the same. Detailed specs are listed in the original post.

 

 

Thanks for the reply/info!  Will PM you over at VFRW...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duc2V4 and I are looking for a set of used 6th gen performance slip-on midpipe/mufflers to purchase, borrow, or have donated for use dyno test/tuning the prototype new VFR800 performance header. Our test 6th gen has gutted OEM mid pipe/mufflers, and those won't flow enough exhaust gas to take best advantage of the new header.

A cosmetically damaged 6th gen slip-on would be great if fully functional. Any brand or model that is open flowing is fine; Two Brother Racing, Delkevic, Micron, Leo Vince, Akrapovic, Scorpion, Staintune, etc

We would prefer to accept a generous donation or loan and will pick up in southern California or pay for shipping [pay shipping both ways if the slipon is a loan], but we are willing to purchase.

WE ARE NOT PICKY. Thanks for considering this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably worth noting that the donated/loaned slip on will not be usable after being loaned, unless it is then used in conjunction with one of these headers or a custom gasket is made to fit the newly expanded end. On the up side, a good way to ensure good fit is having the fabricator fit them personally. lol 

 

I have a set of Remus carbon pipes hanging on the wall in my shop. I'm thinking about it, but, I couldn't really be any further away. I'm also unsure if I want the 5/6 gen configuration or the 8th, as I haven't sorted my cooling system plan 100% yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for considering it Seb. I'll PM you in case it works out to purchase your Remus mufflers or use them for testing and fit a new set of headers to them for your 6th gen. Here's a thought - Wade suggested that one way to properly match the large outlet of the new performance header would be for him to fabricate midpipes.

 

Remus sounds great in two ways [1] just the sound of the VFR V4 running through them [2] as an outlet for our test 6th gen's burned gases.

 

I hope you noticed that we corrected our grave error of leaving you off our initial 'grateful thanks' list...you're first on the list now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like (many) others, I'm pretty happy to see something like this looking like eventuating. It's taken a long time to be potentially this close (not for lack of effort on behalf of a number of people!)

 

While I've put my hand up as interested in the headers themselves, "if" there is a full system eventually available with Carbon slip-on, I'd almost certainly be interested in the whole thing. (Will need to get a handle on shipping to Oz, though).

 

Given that the $AUD is falling against the $USD, I'd also be very keen to pay for the header/system in $USD if at all possible. (I guess the question there revolves around methods of payment available).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi EX-XX  - sorry to hear about the $AUD tipping downward. I'll PM you and let's set something up to preserve your valuation.

 

HighSideNZ informed that NZ Post has a 'drop point' [for lack of a better term] in Portland Oregon USA, where private US shippers can have parcels sent. Then the NZ Post relays the packages through customs and on to New Zealand at reasonable cost. Perhaps there is a similar Australian service available for us small independent shippers and receivers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Hi EX-XX  - sorry to hear about the $AUD tipping downward. I'll PM you and let's set something up to preserve your valuation.

 

HighSideNZ informed that NZ Post has a 'drop point' [for lack of a better term] in Portland Oregon USA, where private US shippers can have parcels sent. Then the NZ Post relays the packages through customs and on to New Zealand at reasonable cost. Perhaps there is a similar Australian service available for us small independent shippers and receivers?

Aus Post refers to a service called "ShopMate" for this purpose. I haven't used it, as I'd either have the person ship it direct, or use another service (Shipito etc.) for the purpose.

 

Have any of the other Oz members used ShopMate for US-based purchases...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, EX-XX said:

Aus Post refers to a service called "ShopMate" for this purpose. I haven't used it, as I'd either have the person ship it direct, or use another service (Shipito etc.) for the purpose.

 

Have any of the other Oz members used ShopMate for US-based purchases...?

I haven't used it but I just read thru it and we would need the boxed dimensions and weight for shipping rate. From what I also understand is that if a single item is valued at over a AU$1000 additional import duties apply, so at our current exchange rate maybe we could separate into 2 parcels. 10% Gst is also applicable ontop of purchase 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EX-XX and boOZZIE, the dimensions of the shipping package for one set of headers will be 95cm x 60cm  x 45cm [or slightly less] and will weigh 7kg [or slightly less]. 7kg includes 1kg of protective packing material and the box.

 

Thanks for being willing to check out shipping to Australia!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sfdownhill said:

EX-XX and boOZZIE, the dimensions of the shipping package for one set of headers will be 95cm x 60cm  x 45cm [or slightly less] and will weigh 7kg [or slightly less]. 7kg includes 1kg of protective packing material and the box.

 

Thanks for being willing to check out shipping to Australia!

I punched those dimensions into the Auspost shipping calculator and they are to big. Will not ship. So not sure, ill call them and see if they can do something else or point me in another direction.

Just to be clear

95cm is the length

60cm is the. ...?

45cm is the. ...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call it 95cm length, 60cm width, and 45cm depth.

 

If that's still too large, try 95cm length, 45cm width, and 40cm depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.