Jump to content
sfdownhill

New 5th/6th/8th gen performance header now in production in USA

Recommended Posts

If the 8th Gen number of orders is only 3 or 4, then I'm fairly certain they are all custom jobs. Seems like no 8th Gen riders are actually interested...?

They seem like a group that is really satisfied with slip ons and their superior charging systems...😆:beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

If the 8th Gen number of orders is only 3 or 4, then I'm fairly certain they are all custom jobs. Seems like no 8th Gen riders are actually interested...?

They seem like a group that is really satisfied with slip ons and their superior charging systems...😆:beer:

At least 3 of those 8g headers are for 5th/6th gen bikes because we want the splayed front tubes to accommodate a low mounted front radiator. To me it makes more sense to batch these with the 5/6 header run. 

 

I owe an update on centerstand stops. I've been busy bouncing around other jobs in my shop but I will get to them!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SEBSPEED said:

At least 3 of those 8g headers are for 5th/6th gen bikes because we want the splayed front tubes to accommodate a low mounted front radiator. To me it makes more sense to batch these with the 5/6 header run. 

I think that is what HighSideNZ is looking for as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

I think that is what HighSideNZ is looking for as well.

Has it been confirmed that the splayed 8th gen tubes will clear 6th gen bodywork?  My gut reaction is that they should ,  but it would be a major bummer to have them and find out otherwise.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Has it been confirmed that the splayed 8th gen tubes will clear 6th gen bodywork?  My gut reaction is that they should ,  but it would be a major bummer to have them and find out otherwise.  

 

I'm 99% sure the oem 8g  front pipes will clear, based on studying pictures and judging where the pipes are in relation to the motor.

 

It remains to be seen if Wade's pipes will leave enough clearance. I do have a plan A and B roughed out, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have a set of Shark RC45 headers on my Gen 6 so if they clear the body work then the 8th Gen pipe should be a shoe in.

Remember that the 8th Gen does not have side rads so the body work is more narrow than a 6th Gen from the start.

What I'm after is to get the headers merging correctly for the 180 deg crank as my current pipes merge both fronts together and both rears together.

Not a biggie but it would be better for mid range if they merged correctly I feel.

I'm with SEB. It would be pretty easy I expect to run these splayed front pipes in with the 6th Gen batch.

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably best off to see/beg/bribe 😉 sfdownhill  to test fit the 8g pipes to 6g as there were also some differences with the rear downpipes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be that "1" 8th gen guy y'all speak of. Hope we can come up with a plan to get the next run done. 

I know these things are a pain and a lot of work/time to put together. The effort  is outstanding .

Thanks to everyone trying to come up with a solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished bike for road america front right header melted plastic.  Incorrectly bent.  Disappointed

20190628_133137_Film3.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just finished bike for road america front right header melted plastic.  Incorrectly bent.  Disappointed
20190628_133137_Film3.thumb.jpg.49ded63c6afd15b57bd17d4c68b5808f.jpg
Mine also just barely touched the plastic shield there, I just trimmed a 1/4" section near the pipe and have had zero problems

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

Just finished bike for road america front right header melted plastic.  Incorrectly bent.  Disappointed

20190628_133137_Film3.jpg

 Yeah, you're probably right; those headers are rubbish. I'll give you five bucks for them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not completely rubbish i can pop clutchless wheelies now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You sure I can't tempt you? I mean, it melted your little plastic doofer and everything. Five bucks and a packet of Cheetos, that's my final offer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ What he said. They are performance headers NOT OEM replacements, there may be minor clearance issues. 

 

I’ve never looked closely at an 8th gen fairing lower V, but I’m stunned by your picture & how big those holes are, Honda must have no faith in their own exhaust manufacturing now, if you compare those with the pipe cooling holes on 5/6th gens !

 

What’s a little melted plastic when you get such benefits !?

 

YCMV. ( your clearance may vary !)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

^^^ What he said. They are performance headers NOT OEM replacements, there may be minor clearance issues. 

 

I’ve never looked closely at an 8th gen fairing lower V, but I’m stunned by your picture & how big those holes are, Honda must have no faith in their own exhaust manufacturing now, if you compare those with the pipe cooling holes on 5/6th gens !

 

What’s a little melted plastic when you get such benefits !?

 

YCMV. ( your clearance may vary !)

 

Pretty sure he's got a 5/6 - 8th has radiator down there and therefore larger holes in the vee, to allow air flow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a lot of activity since I was last staying up with events on this thread - all good stuff, even the teething problems. I sincerely apologize to everyone here for being off the reservation. I am currently in the high Colorado mountains and clinging to a one-bar signal that literally blows away when the wind moves. I will be back on reliable internet Monday and will thoroughly flesh out the points below.

 

 I have not been idle...Wade and I have been talking regularly about:

 

(1) plans to finish the production run of 8 gen headers and sell from stock without waiting for 15 deposited orders. Wade is considering this.

 

(2) modifying his jigs to move cylinder #1 primary 1/4” to the right, as there is slight interference with the center stand at the bottom of its arc. This occurs on my bike and the 8 gen w prototype headers, perhaps others?

 

(3) gearing up further to do another run of 5/6 gen headers.

 

On 5 and 6 gens cylinder 4 (front right) clearance with the inner half ‘chin’ cowl is a problem. The TBR headers get very very close at this point, and our production headers touch the chin cowl. Here are the TBR installed on a 5 gen:

BDBF9D83-1F23-49F1-9A33-073937D9FDFE.jpeg.bd9d8e3444894358863a966b9fbc59db.jpeg

 

On my 5 gen heating the chin cowl with a heat gun and flexing it forward where the headers touch provided enough clearance to avoid melting plastic. The blue tape is how I marked the area to heat and flex:

31043DB5-274B-419C-BC48-7E09263453C3.jpeg.6a034622024e9c32ee91cbb98b6660d4.jpeg

 

I just found out this internet connection can’t handle full res photos, so I’ll reduce the image sizes and insert then into this post as an edit later today.

 

More to follow.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, vfrcapn said:

I may be in for a 5G set too...

So, SFDownhill hooked me up with a Wolf exhaust and my thinking was it wouldn't mate to my TBros header so I'd need a stock or equivalent header replacement. No oem fitting pipe I ever tried would work with the TBros header outlet that is angled to work only with their mid-pipe.

 

But, with just a little fiddling, the two-piece Wolf pipe allowed me to get everything turned and lined up with the TBros. :beer:

 

Long story short, I probably won't be in for one of the new headers but I'll keep an eye on developments in case a new 5G batch gets going.

 

wolf.jpg.179e027b0779b313cc6a3fec08195ee0.jpg

 

Many thanks to SFDownhill for the Wolf, it is literally like new and sounds great.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SEBSPEED said:

 

Pretty sure he's got a 5/6 - 8th has radiator down there and therefore larger holes in the vee, to allow air flow

Doh, sorry I never looked past the plastic & exhaust, I’ll blame it on target fixation !   So same applies to 6th gen then. But being a long production model, then no worries, just buy a spare bit of plastic & be happy 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 6:15 PM, VFR750F3 said:

Not completely rubbish i can pop clutchless wheelies now.

That's the spirit, i'd take my little bit melted v-dam with these performance headers over a stock header with clean v-dam any day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

So, SFDownhill hooked me up with a Wolf exhaust and my thinking was it wouldn't mate to my TBros header so I'd need a stock or equivalent header replacement. No oem fitting pipe I ever tried would work with the TBros header outlet that is angled to work only with their mid-pipe.

 

But, with just a little fiddling, the two-piece Wolf pipe allowed me to get everything turned and lined up with the TBros. :beer:

 

Long story short, I probably won't be in for one of the new headers but I'll keep an eye on developments in case a new 5G batch gets going.

 

wolf.jpg.179e027b0779b313cc6a3fec08195ee0.jpg

 

Many thanks to SFDownhill for the Wolf, it is literally like new and sounds great.

 

 

Looks great capn. I never got to hear the Wolf with the new packing installed and quiet inserts removed - I bet with the TBR headers it is schweeet!

 

Getting to have a listen to your bike is another reason for us to get out on a ride together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've put my deposit for a set of 5th gen headers!   Took plunge and will set aside for this winter project, along with upgraded suspension.     How many is this now on the 5g header list?

 

How about we just make an updated list and everyone who deposited just fill it out. Copy and paste and pass it on.

 

1. eyrwbvfr

2.

3.

4.

5.

6. 

7.

8.

9.

10.

 

 

Edited by eyrwbvfr
added deposit list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, eyrwbvfr said:

I've put my deposit for a set of 5th gen headers!   Took plunge and will set aside for this winter project, along with upgraded suspension.     How many is this now on the 5g header list?

 

How about we just make an updated list and everyone who deposited just fill it out. Copy and paste and pass it on.

 

1. eyrwbvfr

2. adkfinn

3.

4.

5.

6. 

7.

8.

9.

10.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can i say i was just pointing out the obvious. I am vey happy with the header nevertheless i have purchased several headers for my other motorcycles  kerker, akra and hindle and never had clearance issues. I applaud the commitment to get the header into production and to rectify the issue in other runs. I just don't understand the snide comments.

I don't recall anyone jumping all over the guy who was aggravated over the exhaust gasket size.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VFR750F3 said:

What can i say i was just pointing out the obvious. I am vey happy with the header nevertheless i have purchased several headers for my other motorcycles  kerker, akra and hindle and never had clearance issues. I applaud the commitment to get the header into production and to rectify the issue in other runs. I just don't understand the snide comments.

I don't recall anyone jumping all over the guy who was aggravated over the exhaust gasket size.

I don't think anyone meant to come across as too harsh, mostly just having a poke. I think most people consider this small batch replica header to be a different animal than a production piece, hence the different expectations. The 'other guy' actually took way more guff in another thread, but you both seem to have weathered it just fine. If we all agreed all the time this place would be pretty boring. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have already said, I like the "new header" enough that I'm willing to live with a little inconvenience.  Here are pictures of my work to provide clearance for the header from the #4 cylinder.

 

I imitated sfdownhill's solution to the problem, I used a heat gun to soften up the plastic so it could be re-formed with an outward bend that gives the #4 cylinder's header about the same amount of clearance as the #2 cylinder's header pipe.

IMG_20190708_140106_zpsyhsip0n0.jpg

 

IMG_20190708_140115_zpsryordtmb.jpg

 

IMG_20190708_140125_zpsqoqvvkdw.jpg

 

IMG_20190708_140231_zpsnxtklcfg.jpg

 

 

Installed on the bike you can see that I've managed to achieve the same amount of fairing-to-header pipe clearance on both the #4 and #2 headers.

IMG_20190708_151121_zps34kfruv5.jpg

 

IMG_20190708_151257_zpsthueynzq.jpg

 

 

I happened to have some high temperature heat reflecting tape on hand so I added it to the work I did.  I figured why not, regardless of whether the situation really needed this amount of protection

IMG_20190708_140157_zpsz3a9f3o6.jpg

 

 

Maybe I got a little carried away with the heat reflective taping...

IMG_20190708_140212_zpsmlnnzwrw.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.