New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Member Contributer

Don't like it. My favorite feature of the 6th gen is the undertail exhaust. This exhaust looks almost as bad as the 7th gen exhaust but not quite. Don't like the instrument panel. Old school I guess, I want to read a "real" speedometer not a stupid digital number.

Lets wait until somebody rides one and gives some feedback before we get too giddy? Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

My toaster is reliable . . .

So is mine, it's 47 years old. Maybe Honda should have had GE design their electrical systems...

I do sort of like it but it doesn't generate that excitement that makes you want to go out and get it immediately. Maybe a used one down the road if it makes it over here.

• Member Contributer

I'm with the faction that says it's great to have the 800 back. I don't share the insatiable desire for increased displacement. My 6th gen will break every speed limit I've encountered with ridiculous ease. But better suspension, less weight, better instrumentation, greater range, better electrics, etc., are all good. (My VTEC transition is smooth and controllable, so I'm not a hater.) If Honda is still building the 800, there's hope for more improvement. It's a good news day! :cheerleader:

I do like what I see, be it a parts been bike or not.

I wounder when we will se this bikes sexy swingarm first on a 6th or 5th gen?

Seem the fork is a evolution of the old whit radial brake callipers, nice.

I didn't see the adjustable rebound though.

This looks like rebound damping to me, not stepless spring preload as mentioned in the text (all VFRs have come with stepless spring preload):

Screenshot_from_2013_11_04_15_32_49.png

as the cap says TEN, it indicate tension (spring) not damping, but sure starnge its adjusted whit a flat scruvdriver.......

A thing that is not possible more (but is on my 5th gen, dont know about 6 gens) is twisting the clipons to suit your hand angle, thats a pity.

• Member Contributer

TC saved me twice riding my brothers ST1100 on a slippery surface. On my VFR am sure I would have lost it.

And that is the risk here, that you start taking liberties cos "abs tc will look after me".....

Looks like a great bike that Honda wisely has decided to sell to markets that are more appropriate for this bike. Automobiles are the big sellers for Honda in the US, not motorcycles.

as the cap says TEN, it indicate tension (spring) not damping, but sure starnge its adjusted whit a flat scruvdriver.......

That is ten (10) positions. On my 3rd gen it looks exactly the same and that slotted screw is for adjusting rebound damping:

ten.jpg

On here I read a lot that this bike is considered a parts bin. I don't get that. Yes, the engine and main frame remain unchanged (mostly, as the engine has new cams and engine management) but everything else is brand new:

-wheels

-suspension: new fork with rebound damping & new even more beefy swingarm.

-bodywork

-engine management (according to Honda they have further refined VTEC transition, it is now supposed to be seamless. We´ll have to wait for the first real world test to see if that's true).

-added TC

-LED head- & taillights

-seat height adjustment

-radial brakes

-lightweight exhaust

-heated grips

-dry weight minus 10Kg

From Honda's Press Release:

1. Introduction

The V4 engine configuration is a special one for Honda, going back nearly 40 years. A complex, yet compact unit, it has a unique power delivery and a soul all its own. Honda’s current RC213V MotoGP machine uses a V4, as does the flaghip sport-touring VFR1200F. It’s a powerplant woven tightly into Honda’s engineering DNA.

And nowhere has the V4 engine been more at home than in the legendary VFR800F series – a truly all-round motorcycle that’s always done sport as well as it tours, and all areas in between, with or without a pillion. It has inspired huge loyalty among owners over the last two decades and it’s estimated there are still 75,000 VFRs in regular use across Europe.

The legion of VFR800F fans know exactly what they like about their bike and also what they’d like more – and less – of in a new model. With such an important model Honda has listened intently to customers’ views; in essence they want a high-quality motorcycle with strong low and mid-range torque, light and slim but just as capable and adaptable, with a return to the evocative look and feel of VFRs of the past.

I think they listened well and this new VTEC incorporates a lot of the customers' wishes. Just search for topics on peg lowering, weight saving, adjustable suspension, vulnerability and bad airflow of the side mounted radiators, people paying premium prices for a 20 y/o 8 spoke rear wheel, better brakes etc..

I think Honda did well with the new VTEC. Yes, no USD fork and no extra HP, but who needs that when most just prefer to ride all day(week) long at a leasurely pace though the twisties:

gallery_5444_3979_26810.jpg

• Member Contributer

TC saved me twice riding my brothers ST1100 on a slippery surface. On my VFR am sure I would have lost it.

And that is the risk here, that you start taking liberties cos "abs tc will look after me".....

TC or ABS? I know some years had ABS, but not TC.

• Member Contributer

My toaster is reliable . . .

Good point...I will wind up with an RSV4 next...not even saying that it is a bike in the same category as the VFR but that is the direction I have been trending for several years now and the timing is right for me.

I like it. I like it a a lot! I'm happy to see that Honda has not abandoned the VFR platform.

Alas, I don't see any reason to upgrade from my 01. It is a step in the right direction. They have addressed some issues like suspension, brakes..Vtec..but there is one GLARING problem. I think you all know what that is.

Sorry Honda. Good, but not great.

217 missing CC's? USD forks? Styling not stolen from the rest of the Honda lineup? No GDC's?

How about one street/sport-tour "F" model with the ABS, TC, Heated Grips, Saddlebags, and one sportier "R" model which hearkens back to the RC30 and RC45 and VF1000R?

And it STILL isn't under 500 Lbs wet.

• Member Contributer

How about one street/sport-tour "F" model with the ABS, TC, Heated Grips, Saddlebags, and one sportier "R" model which hearkens back to the RC30 and RC45 and VF1000R?

I thought that's what they were doing? This is the F, and the R is the RCV1000RR or whatever that will be out of reach for everyone but the wealthiest.

I thought that's what they were doing? This is the F, and the R is the RCV1000RR or whatever that will be out of reach for everyone but the wealthiest.

The MotoGP inspired RCV whatever it is will share NO parts with this new VFR800.

I'm talking about two closely related models that share a lot of parts commonality, engine, etc, but retooled for different purposes.

The VF1000R and VF1000F are the best examples I can think of at the moment.

Kawasaki C14 and ZX-14R are another. (But not quite as good an example as I'm reaching for)

That is ten (10) positions. On my 3rd gen it looks exactly the same and that slotted screw is for adjusting rebound damping:

ten.jpg

On here I read a lot that this bike is considered a parts bin. I don't get that. Yes, the engine and main frame remain unchanged (mostly, as the engine has new cams and engine management) but everything else is brand new:

-wheels

-suspension: new fork with rebound damping & new even more beefy swingarm.

-bodywork

-engine management (according to Honda they have further refined VTEC transition, it is now supposed to be seamless. We´ll have to wait for the first real world test to see if that's true).

-added TC

-LED head- & taillights

-seat height adjustment

-radial brakes

-lightweight exhaust

-heated grips

-dry weight minus 10Kg

From Honda's Press Release:

1. Introduction

The V4 engine configuration is a special one for Honda, going back nearly 40 years. A complex, yet compact unit, it has a unique power delivery and a soul all its own. Honda’s current RC213V MotoGP machine uses a V4, as does the flaghip sport-touring VFR1200F. It’s a powerplant woven tightly into Honda’s engineering DNA.

And nowhere has the V4 engine been more at home than in the legendary VFR800F series – a truly all-round motorcycle that’s always done sport as well as it tours, and all areas in between, with or without a pillion. It has inspired huge loyalty among owners over the last two decades and it’s estimated there are still 75,000 VFRs in regular use across Europe.

The legion of VFR800F fans know exactly what they like about their bike and also what they’d like more – and less – of in a new model. With such an important model Honda has listened intently to customers’ views; in essence they want a high-quality motorcycle with strong low and mid-range torque, light and slim but just as capable and adaptable, with a return to the evocative look and feel of VFRs of the past.

I think they listened well and this new VTEC incorporates a lot of the customers' wishes. Just search for topics on peg lowering, weight saving, adjustable suspension, vulnerability and bad airflow of the side mounted radiators, people paying premium prices for a 20 y/o 8 spoke rear wheel, better brakes etc..

I think Honda did well with the new VTEC. Yes, no USD fork and no extra HP, but who needs that when most just prefer to ride all day(week) long at a leasurely pace though the twisties:

Roger that on the adjuster, I´was wrong.

Never less, I agree fully to you comment. A lot of new stuff, and whats old is refined. A VFR800 has a lot more to give what many need I think, and 10kg lighter, well it will be faster, even thro the twists as the suspension will proberly be better and more tunable!

all that and has what 7 more hp then the 1986 750-- really?? arggghhhh honda stroke out the 750 gear cammed bike of old- stick it in a modern frame get the f1 right (man i hated that stumble on the 6th gen i sold ) and there you have it-- that gear driven cammed 800 new engine should have at least 130 hp and 65lb torque-- would be awesome-

As much as I would love it, I doubt you will ever see gdc's again. As far as the weight, it's not all that bad. Close to 5th gen specs. My biggest issue is that I ride two up 50% of the time. When I'm by myself, I'm relatively happy with the power. It's not great, but acceptable. Throw a passenger on, and it flat out sucks. I don't want to move up to a boat anchor to satisfy my power needs. My 01 would be for sale today if this THIS BIKE had 125 hp..70 ft/lbs. Easily obtainable with nothing more than a boring bar.

• Member Contributer

TC or ABS? I know some years had ABS, but not TC.

Both!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_ST1100

• Member Contributer

I would have to see one in person. Things I immediately consider perks from what I have read so far:

• standard ABS
  • traction control
  • adjustable seat height
  • standard heated grips
  • no more side mounted radiators
  • narrower
  • supposedly 10kg lighter
  • LED technology
  • larger fuel tank
  • 10 spoke rims
  • SSA - still easier maintenance

Not really cons but not really improvements:

• VTEC - means still expensive valve adjustments
  • side mounted exhaust - that beautiful wheel gets wasted by that can
  • still going to be heavy but I am already used to my VFR so one that is 22 lbs lighter is still an improvement

As far as cosmetics go I can already see where I would change the paint up a bit and seriously consider a modified exhaust setup. Strip off all the unnecessary CA emissions junk, move over as many of the accessories I have on my current VFR, and add the Givi brackets when they come out and call it a day. My biggest question is seating position. Other than that I would put this on the short list if my 6th gen ever needs to be replaced (assuming it makes it to the US).

• Member Contributer

As much fun as it is to crunch numbers, the best argument always comes when the bike gets ridden. It will be interesting to see some ride reports compared to the 6th gen.

I am not a gigantic fan of the new VFR.....BUT, it is a damn sight better than the "all new" Harley Davidson:

HDStreet1.jpg

It isnt like Honda built this bike 30 years ago or anything...........................................

32253950001_large.jpg

Archived