New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Member Contributer

So if this model doesn't come to the US, or doesn't until several years from now, what does the US get?

- Lotsa new parts ideas to farkle with ! :smile:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That will be a good thing for sure. One other good thing is that US buyers are exempt from the VAT - but the exchange rate is a killer. Maybe we can get a group buy from David Silver for a batch of those 10 spoke wheels and some hubs - there should be plenty of interest in that.

• Member Contributer

So if this model doesn't come to the US, or doesn't until several years from now, what does the US get?

Probably an updated Ruckus..

honda-ruckus_blue_7.jpg

I bet that my 2004 with its Ohlins shock and front suspension mod and PCIII with custom map is better than this motorcycle. If I am right, that's just sad that a bike a decade removed is better. We will see.

And I bet my 1999 Frankenviffer is better too:)

I will be test riding the new one when it lands down here though...

there is also a CBR300 and a CBR650f in the works,

Yes, a few models got 50cc extra displacement (CBR250=>300, CBR600=>650, CB600=>650, NC700(X)=>750) I haven't seen all the specs but I don't think it will also mean more HP for all as then they do not fit the latest tiered licensing scheme.

An overview of the new models is available at Honda's website: http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/comingsoon/

How about one street/sport-tour "F" model with the ABS, TC, Heated Grips, Saddlebags, and one sportier "R" model which hearkens back to the RC30 and RC45 and VF1000R?

I thought that's what they were doing? This is the F, and the R is the RCV1000RR or whatever that will be out of reach for everyone but the wealthiest.

The MotoGP inspired RCV whatever it is will share NO parts with this new VFR800.

I'm talking about two closely related models that share a lot of parts commonality, engine, etc, but retooled for different purposes.

The VF1000R and VF1000F are the best examples I can think of at the moment.

Kawasaki C14 and ZX-14R are another. (But not quite as good an example as I'm reaching for)

The RC 45 and RC 46 is what you should be reaching for. :)

My first post here in what, 4 years? And look what brought me back. :)

I'm currently straddled on a RSV4F, but feeling the need for something with bags and a much bigger tank.

Unless you are allergic to other bike brands why continue whining and pining for something Honda has no interest in making?

Aprilia has a great v4 if you must have one. Waay to many bikes on the market with all the power and suspension you can handle.

Aprilia is a little pricey, no? also, are they as comfy as my 86? :P

their v4 makes 170hp with 1000CC... wtf honda

Looks like they're keeping their 1000 V4s Off the Streets for now...

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Honda+Racing+Corporation+unveils+RCV1000R+for+2014

post-13109-0-75946800-1383839197.jpg

• Member Contributer

So can we allagree this is the Gen 8? And what is its nickname?

Gen 5 = Klingon

Gen 6 = Origami

Gen 7 = Veefalo

Gen 8 = VFRucati!!!!!!!

Fixed that for ya.... ;-)

• Member Contributer

TC saved me twice riding my brothers ST1100 on a slippery surface. On my VFR am sure I would have lost it.

And that is the risk here, that you start taking liberties cos "abs tc will look after me".....

TC or ABS? I know some years had ABS, but not TC.

Both!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_ST1100

Not that I would doubt the veracity of Wikipedia but ....

I do not believe that is correct. Please show evidence from Honda marketing material that Traction Control was optional (even on the Euro only model) of the ST1100.

As much as I would love it, I doubt you will ever see gdc's again. As far as the weight, it's not all that bad. Close to 5th gen specs. My biggest issue is that I ride two up 50% of the time. When I'm by myself, I'm relatively happy with the power. It's not great, but acceptable. Throw a passenger on, and it flat out sucks. I don't want to move up to a boat anchor to satisfy my power needs. My 01 would be for sale today if this THIS BIKE had 125 hp..70 ft/lbs. Easily obtainable with nothing more than a boring bar.

I too don't think we will see the day where Honda return to GDC on a street bike but why foist this ignorant version of Vtec on us? I have yet to read an objective report of where it improves the motorcycle power plant much less the essence of riding a motorcycle.

All I read is how they have improved it and refined it to eliminate any feeling of the transition point...which was never more than mildly entertaining (or annoying depending on your personal preference).

Just get rid of it and give me a variable intact tract any day over the cost, complexity and maintenance schedule of Vtec valves.

• Member Contributer

I do not believe that is correct. Please show evidence from Honda marketing material that Traction Control was optional (even on the Euro only model) of the ST1100.

How about my brother's ST1100? :goofy:
post-8974-0-14498700-1383842294.jpg
post-8974-0-74012000-1383842303.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hmmm...I was not expecting a reduction in displacement. Heck, I was wondering whether they'd continue producing the VFR as it just hasn't been selling well. Glad to see it's still alive but would have liked to see more, although it's not bad by any means. The wheels look great and I happen to like the tail section. No more split radiator. Swing arm looks fantastic and the dash is really nice. Standard ABS is also a welcome addition and stock heated grips are nice too. The stock clip-ons look really nice but I couldn't go without my Convertibars. It will be interesting to see the luggage and if there is a taller/wider windscreen (my only complaint about my current 6th gen). I was hoping for shaft drive personally as I'm just tired of chains.

VFRMike.

Honda offers an optional bar riser (15mm I think) that fits beneath these new clip ons...

• Member Contributer

Hmmm...I was not expecting a reduction in displacement. Heck, I was wondering whether they'd continue producing the VFR as it just hasn't been selling well. Glad to see it's still alive but would have liked to see more, although it's not bad by any means. The wheels look great and I happen to like the tail section. No more split radiator. Swing arm looks fantastic and the dash is really nice. Standard ABS is also a welcome addition and stock heated grips are nice too. The stock clip-ons look really nice but I couldn't go without my Convertibars. It will be interesting to see the luggage and if there is a taller/wider windscreen (my only complaint about my current 6th gen). I was hoping for shaft drive personally as I'm just tired of chains.

VFRMike.

Honda offers an optional bar riser (15mm I think) that fits beneath these new clip ons...

Must be twins ....

• Member Contributer

So can we allagree this is the Gen 8? And what is its nickname?

Gen 5 = Klingon

Gen 6 = Origami

Gen 7 = Veefalo

Gen 8 = ???

It is definitely a Gen 8 - there are more differences between this model and the 6G than there were between the 3G and 4G models...

I personally don't consider the 2014 an 8 Gen but maybe a 6.1 Gen as it is more evolutionary than revolutionary. Most of the generation differences were a dramatic change from the previous. For example. from the 4th to 5th, larger displacement (750cc to 800cc), EFI, linked brakes, 5th to 6th, saw no more GDC but instead VTEC engines. The difference between the 2014 and the current 2009 (in the states) 2013 (elsewhere), only minor changes IMO. Most are styling and minor improvements for comfort/ergonomics, kind of like when then changed the VTEC engagement RPM.

See above...this bike is definitely another generation VFR, not as close to a 6G as the 3G is to the 4G.

• Member Contributer

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Pricing, I think, will be the deciding factor for me. (Other than that major deciding factor of not being available here.)

• Member Contributer

It sure impresses me differently from the 7th Gen. Positively, in fact. I wonder what it well cost.

• Member Contributer

Also, while I am at it. what is the big deal with gear driven cams? Do they increase performance or is it tradition and sound? Being late to the party, I am not that interested in tradition and the little I have heard of the gdc up close has annoyed me. I can understand that others like the sound, but if that is all there is to it. then I am glad this new one does not have them.

A) It's mechanical beauty and music

B) Aprilia got 6ish HP gain when they switched to GDC (it was a kit for racing, production bikes don't have them)

C) Lose the CCT

If I remember correctly, the generations and RC designations follow the frame. Since the frame is the same, this is still technically a 6th gen, and an RC46. So probably 6.1 gen.

Except 3G and 4G are both RC36 frame designation and the 5G is a RC46 as well as the 6G...this is the 8G VFR.

When the Aprila v4 came out, one of the cams (I forget which) was driven from the crank by a chain and that cam drove the other cam via a gear.

The race kitted Aprilia's had cams that were driven from the crank by gears and did give a few more HP but the main result was better drive train reliability at race RPMs,

Honda (and others) have a reputation for chain tensioner issues with chain driven cams but the aftermarket has solutions for that as well.

"Are chain driven cams an improvement in any way over gear-driven cams?" NO.

• Member Contributer

Started saving those coins, should have enough by 2016 when it shows up in the US.

So if this model doesn't come to the US, or doesn't until several years from now, what does the US get? Continuation of the 1200? Or . . . nothing . . . or . . . the finger from Honda? Enquiring minds want to know.

The 800 is presently listed on Honda's UK website, but the US website has a mix of '13 and '14 models, the VFR remaining the 1200 listed as a '13. Maybe Honda's got a warehouse of 1200's to clear out before bringing the new model in to the US.

We get BNG.....

Bold

New

Graphics....

Maybe......what is the Dutch translation of TCS? Are you sure it doesn't mean something else? :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Unless you are allergic to other bike brands why continue whining and pining for something Honda has no interest in making?

Aprilia has a great v4 if you must have one. Waay to many bikes on the market with all the power and suspension you can handle.

their v4 makes 170hp with 1000CC... wtf honda

Looks like they're keeping their 1000 V4s Off the Streets for now...

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Honda+Racing+Corporation+unveils+RCV1000R+for+2014

attachicon.gifrcv1000_02_original.jpg

why isn't this on the street? imagine that in RWB... ugh

• Member Contributer

their v4 makes 170hp with 1000CC... wtf Honda

Aprilia have reduced the cost of the bike by about $5k and added traction control and abs....this is the year to buy. I made an appointment with the Aprilia dealer for a test ride.

• Member Contributer

Aprilia have reduced the cost of the bike by about $5k and added traction control and abs....this is the year to buy. I made an appointment with the Aprilia dealer for a test ride.

But what about all those poor Honda V4 projects that will be abandoned after you get an RSV4 in your garage?

Aprilia have reduced the cost of the bike by about $5k

Where did you get this info? Aprilia site still lists ABS at $14,499.

Cycletrader doesn't show any 2014's at a price lower than that either. Just wondering ('cause I'd buy one at $5k off).

• Member Contributer

But what about all those poor Honda V4 projects that will be abandoned after you get an RSV4 in your garage?

Currently 9 V4 Hondas in the garage (and driveway...) but sure I will have to shift a few of those to new owners...I just have to have a proper V4 sport bike again...and I don't see an RC30 in my future.

Now that Aprilia has sorted the issue with the plastic fuel tanks vs ethanol gas I think it is time, was going to hold for Nicky Hayden edition RSV4 Factory (like the 848 Ducati sold) but Honda (and Ducati) even managed to screw that up for me. :goofy:

from the Honda "Operation Manual" :

TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM (TCS) For model equipped with CBS/ABS/TCS:

The Traction Control System (TCS) assists you in maintaining traction while accelerating on slippery surfaces by regulating the engine's power output when it senses the rear wheel starting to lose traction.

TCS automatically turns on when the ignition is turned ON. You have the option of turning TCS off by using the TCS ON/OFF Switch.

Riding with TCS requires no special skills or techniques. TCS does not affect braking and cannot prevent loss of traction if you enter a corner too fast. It is still your responsibility to ride at reasonable speeds for weather, road surface, and traffic conditions, and to leave a margin of safety.

When riding on loose, slippery, or uneven surfaces, you may notice the engine does not respond to the throttle in the same way it usually does. This is a sign that TCS is activated and operating. The TCS Activation Light will flash on to signal you.

• Member Contributer

from the Honda "Operation Manual" :

TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM (TCS) For model equipped with CBS/ABS/TCS:

The Traction Control System (TCS) assists you in maintaining traction while accelerating on slippery surfaces by regulating the engine's power output when it senses the rear wheel starting to lose traction.

TCS automatically turns on when the ignition is turned ON. You have the option of turning TCS off by using the TCS ON/OFF Switch.

Riding with TCS requires no special skills or techniques. TCS does not affect braking and cannot prevent loss of traction if you enter a corner too fast. It is still your responsibility to ride at reasonable speeds for weather, road surface, and traffic conditions, and to leave a margin of safety.

When riding on loose, slippery, or uneven surfaces, you may notice the engine does not respond to the throttle in the same way it usually does. This is a sign that TCS is activated and operating. The TCS Activation Light will flash on to signal you.

Carver got :owned:

and this text is from the ST1100 operation manual?

Archived