New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

Honda has never been obsessed with trying to always be HP king like Kawasaki and to some extent, Suzuki had been since anyone could remember.

I still remember being always disappointed even back in the late 70's when Honda's always tested as having the lowest HP numbers in buyers guides and magazine comparo articles...... Although Honda had always been the leader in build/finish quality, year after year, nothing seems to have changed through the years in the HP department.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Do those disappointed with the looks of the new VFR800 prefer the new MV Agusta Tourismo Veloce? Fyi, I don't.

There's something off about the front fairing on the Tourismo Veloce; it looks a bit jarring. Kinda like someone put a windjammer fairing on a Kawasaki ER6N.

I agree that the new VFR has 5th gen styling, and I like that. I always liked the compactness and simplicity of the 4th and 5th gen bikes. I think I like this new version. Seems more taut than the 6th gen. Surprised they couldn't pump up the power a bit more and/or refine the vtec further.

I'd would also like to see if Staintune can come up with a nice pipe for it. Unfortunately a high pipe would be out because of luggage fitment, right?

• Member Contributer

The tail really confuses me... it looks like you could almost still put the 6th gen mufflers in there.

There are things that I really do like about this bike, but so many important things that aren't an improvement unfortunately. I don't expect much different from Honda these days really, they are playing things safe and conservative. I have no doubt it will be a great bike, just not what so many of us VFR owners desire.

Any news of the supposed VFR based naked? Based on what Honda has been doing It wouldn't surprise me if they came out with one that's almost identical minus front fairing and clip ons. And then an X version with 1 inch more suspension travel...

PS the "TEN" does stand for "tension" which is what Honda refers to Rebound damping as. My 954 forks have the same thing and they are a stepless adjustment.

as the cap says TEN, it indicate tension (spring) not damping, but sure starnge its adjusted whit a flat scruvdriver.......

That is ten (10) positions. On my 3rd gen it looks exactly the same and that slotted screw is for adjusting rebound damping:

ten.jpg

Actually, that "TEN" denotes TENSION, which is engineer speak for the REBOUND stroke of the suspension travel, where the spring action pushes the stanchion outward.

The opposite is "COMP" or COMPRESSION.

A lot of bikes have rebound adj only.

• Member Contributer

The one thing that is missing for me is the SEX. There's just no sex in this bike.

Well, let me rephrase that. Not enough sex to get me excited enough to consider trding in my 6th gen.

The rear is almost there with the new swinger and the very sexy wheel, but it is let down by the very uninspiring exhaust.

Why not the high mount??? It is glaringly obvious from the first look. That or that CBR-style integrated exhaust.

By far the biggest visual dissapointment for me is the front end. It looks like it came off of a 250CC bike. Maybe b/c black lowers make them appear slimmer than they actually are. While I understand the need to save money, they should at least make the beefier Ohlins forks available as an option or an accesory.

As to the VTEC and the old frame, I don't find anything wrong there. Enough power and assuming that they got the low RPM fueling sorted, I'll be more than happy with that setup. BUT again - No sex in the 12 Y/O technology.

• Member Contributer

needs center mount exhaust, and 115+ hp, and a RWB scheme.

Once I get settled in at my new job.... that is what I'll be looking for in a new viffer... unless I find a S/C 6th gen :P

• Member Contributer

As much as I would have loved a full liter, my guess is that Honda corporate looked at the clean sheet design of the 1200 and realized they'd made a great bike that was underwhelming when it came to sales numbers - it wouldn't surprise me if Honda lost money on the 1200. I doubt dealers made much money stocking them - at least in the U.S. Rather than take the risk of another clean sheet design, they reached for parts they were still making and updated the 800. A full liter motor would have likely had to be designed from scratch - I'm not sure there's enough meat in the 800's block to get that kind of displacement. Same for resurrecting GDC's - more re-design of the motor. If they ever did a clean sheet re-design of the 800 though, they could easily incorporate GDC's and get around noise regs by using spiral cut gears rather than straight cut. As for TC, ABS, noise limits (big mufflers), emissions, etc etc - much of that is being driven by gov't regs - not much Honda can do about it. What I find baffling, is that for Honda's "do it all sport touring machine", even after 20+ years there still is STILL little to no adjustability in the clipons, brake and clutch lever angles, and apparently little or no underseat storage. Honda - WTH is up with you guys?? :blink: Whatever though - this is probably the VFR (maybe with subtle revisions) for the next 4+ model years.

Two things make the VFR better than the Aprilla, reliability, and sport bike ergos. I don't understand (at 5'5") the need for a 34.3" seat height. Thank you for making bikes I can't ride. It is far easier to add a taller seat if you are tall, than the lower the bike if you are short. The VFR still has the best ergos for this type of bike. I still wish it had 20 more HP, and a newer updated V-4. I don't give a crap about price, come on Honda just do it right. I do like some of the added features, but here's my list:

Add 20 hp, or more torque down low.

cruise control, ABS, TC standard

loose the ugly can

adjustable bars, so I can set it for touring, or sport riding.

standard bags.

premium electronic suspension option, again so I can customize for my riding. this is supposed to be the do all bike.

under 15K, sold!

Honda, are you listening?

FYI, some fun with photoshop. Hard to see, but previous gens overlaid.

post-23737-0-70079200-1383670854.jpg

post-23737-0-38551800-1383670861.jpg

post-23737-0-02402900-1383671379.jpg

The rear is almost there with the new swinger and the very sexy wheel, but it it let down by the very uninspiring exhaust.

Why not the high mount??? It is glaringly obvious from the first look. That or that CBR-style integrated exhaust.

Thats exactly what I was wondering as well. I like the integrated exhaust a little better than the undertail. Undertail would take up room that can be better utilized by owners for storage or modifications.

They're not changing (or even boring/stroking out) the engine of the Gen 6 or 7 (or ST1300, for that matter.) any time soon. Too much money in R&D, recerts for emissions etc etc etc. They're going to cheap out and keep using the same shit, but wrap a new bike or updated bike around them. Just get used to it. Maybe in 2020 they'll make bump the 800 up to 900 and the 1200 up to 1300, but don't hold your breath. Want leading edge performance and still to be a Japanese manufacturer? Buy a Kawasaki.

This Gen 5.5 is proof of that. It looks pretty good, but the updated doo-dads (lights, turn signals, weight, standard abs, adj seat etc) are this bike's selling point for the Europeans and Australians.

• Member Contributer

They're not changing (or even boring/stroking out) the engine of the Gen 6 or 7 (or ST1300, for that matter.) any time soon. Too much money in R&D, recerts for emissions etc etc etc. They're going to cheap out and keep using the same shit, but wrap a new bike or updated bike around them. Just get used to it. Maybe in 2020 they'll make bump the 800 up to 900 and the 1200 up to 1300, but don't hold your breath. Want leading edge performance and still to be a Japanese manufacturer? Buy a Kawasaki.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sorry bro, I saw the avatar and had to :goofy:

Archived