New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Love reading all the varied opinions on this.

Curious who's going to be the first to pull the trigger on getting one and eagerly awaiting the ride report.

Hey Dutchy, get out to one of the Euro-dealers for a test run for us!

:lurk::woohoo:

• Member Contributer

Is the pillion seat a removable item?

That could be a nice upgrade for solo riders to replace it with a cover and have extra storage in the hump.

• Member Contributer

Hey, just thought of another plus..... my Sebspeed fancy clear clutch cover will be a straight accross swap on this bike! :cheerleader:

(This bike is growing on me by the minute, can you tell?)

As for first ride report:

"Rides like a 6th gen" is my prediction

I wonder if the new VFR has the same wheelbase as 6th gen?

Hard to tell in the pictures I have seen: is the lower fairing a seperate part, or do the fairing halves split the same way as a 6th gen does? Would be nice to have a seperate bottom plate for easier maintenance.

Unless you are allergic to other bike brands why continue whining and pining for something Honda has no interest in making?

Aprilia has a great v4 if you must have one. Waay to many bikes on the market with all the power and suspension you can handle.

I could not agree more.

Being a 3rd, 4th and 5th Gen VFR fan I am stoked that Honda has moved back closer to the VFR roots. Sure this is not perfect but it sure beats the direction the VFR has been going since 2002. This is the first new honda I have seen in twelve years that I will consider buying when it comes stateside. Way to go Honda.

• Member Contributer

Curious who's going to be the first to pull the trigger on getting one and eagerly awaiting the ride report.

:lurk::woohoo:

My local dealer is 2 miles from my house..............

So as soon as he has a demonstrator available I will be on it......

I was hoping for shaft drive personally as I'm just tired of chains.

VFRMike.

I would love to have a shaft drive VFR800! Not so much that I am sick of chains, but I like the low maintenance aspect of it.

:lurk:  :woohoo:

My local dealer is 2 miles from my house..............

So as soon as he has a demonstrator available I will be on it......

Not if I beat you to it...

• Member Contributer

I was hoping for shaft drive personally as I'm just tired of chains.

VFRMike.

I would love to have a shaft drive VFR800! Not so much that I am sick of chains, but I like the low maintenance aspect of it.

..As the VFR1200 sits in the corner, forgotten and unloved.... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

America wants a bike that doesn't hurt your back after 1 hour of riding, has power, can handle well, and your girl on the back doesn't bitch because of the seat going up her behind like sitting on a road cone (see GSX/NINJA rear seats).

That is why I love my 86. Comfy, great back seat, good power (could always use more, duh), and it looks awesome :P

This new VFR is a step in the right direction, the 1200 just isn't my cup of tea

• Member Contributer

I kinda chuckle at the dichotomy of wishes here for the VFR. Half want more touring features such as cruise control, wider windscreen, adjustable clip-ons, shaft drive, and (add your feature here......) and the other half wants a more sport bias bike with the reasonable ergos, USD forks, maybe Brembos, full adjustable suspension, drop 40 lbs, 120 hp.... a sport bike that you can go for a multi day haul, a VFR848R ----- (I'll take the 848R)

Honda is really treating us with magnesium clutch and valve covers and wheels. Just like the $40k panigale superlegaga, definitely worth waiting 12yrs..

I recently sold my 07 VFR. Every time I rode that bike, it felt too heavy, too soft, too top heavy, too twitchy, and too slow. I fully understand that it has more than enough of everything for the streets - but it never 'felt' right. I considered many mods suggested on this site, but in the end I felt that I shouldn't spend all that effort to make it something that it clearly isn't.

I need a more upright bike (bad back), and like the V4 concept. This new VFR, although the weight loss does not seem like much, and the new forks still are conventional - maybe its better. I like the looks, except the Gen 5 headlights and the stupid exhaust completely blocking that awesome new wheel.

I will reserve judgement until I ride one someday. But the engine seems largely unchanged, and I hated that 07 engine with a passion.

Honda needs to go farther.

• Member Contributer

I kinda chuckle at the dichotomy of wishes here for the VFR. Half want more touring features such as cruise control, wider windscreen, adjustable clip-ons, shaft drive, and (add your feature here......) and the other half wants a more sport bias bike with the reasonable ergos, USD forks, maybe Brembos, full adjustable suspension, drop 40 lbs, 120 hp.... a sport bike that you can go for a multi day haul, a VFR848R ----- (I'll take the 848R)

It is kind of funny.... but sad too.

Honda comes so close to doing the right thing but messed it up with both models. I'm not sure what owner groups they claim to be listening to, but they still haven't quite gotten what their customers are saying they want.

And yet I still find myself strongly considering a purchase of one of these two models, but price is a major consideration for me with so many other manufacturers stepping up and making some really good products to compete.

The VFR1200F:

- Ugly styling. I thought it would grow on me more, and WANTED to like it because of the flowing lines and great airflow characteristics it supposedly has, but I still don't care for it At least they dared to be different. I won't even get onto rant about the exhaust can or the weird windscreen.

- Fuel range. This was the bike that the more touring crowd was asking for, but this is such a major miss for Honda with the fuel tank. And because of the fairing design wrapping into the tank, it is gonna be REALLY hard to come up with an enlarged tank unless Honda themselves care to do it

- Engine note: they lost the character of the V4 that most of us loved with the 800, gear driven cams or not. I know it sounds more like the RC30, RC45, NR "big bang" engines, but this was never the sound that I lusted after.

The VFR800F (Gen 6.5 or whatever you want to call it):

- Same old V4 we love. Great, but we are getting tired of the same thing and most of us want a bit more. Couldn't they have upped the power somehow by boring / stroking it? Something close to 1000cc would have been the right thing to do. Ninja 1000 and FZ1 are capitalizing on Honda's unwillingness to be in the same ballpark. Most of us would welcome the extra power and some better handling.

- If Honda was going to keep the same old V4, they could have put the VFR on a better diet and done away with any of the heavy crap that isn't needed and get the weight under 500lbs

We want a bike that does it all, isn't that why we bought the VFR in the first place? I would have bought a super sport if that is what I wanted, or a full touring bike. I wanted something in between, a sport touring bike. A little more of both please. I think the weight is fine, too light and it make a poor touring bike. I looked a both ends of the spectrum, and ultimately bought the VFR because it hit the mark, but I want something now that is beyond my 15 year old bike. With drive by wire throttles, cruise control and traction control should be standard on an ST bike. A really nice electronic suspension setup would be a nice option. 20 hp more from the same mill is not asking too much 15 years later is it? Fuel injection has come a long way.

I love my bike, but it could be better at everything. More comfortable, better suspension, more power. I do like a lot of the features they added, but I still expect more, depending on the price. With the 1200 I would have expected perfection for 16K, and it was no where close.

But, the feature I want most of all is, a cup holder. Haha

Well said mello. In fact, I bet that is what makes the VFR so hard to please everyone. I bought mine for the upgraded touring capability from my CB750. Others want more sport. There is just no way to please both camps so it has to be a compromise. Hopefully as platform, it can be tailored to ones desired state.

• Member Contributer

We want a bike that does it all, isn't that why we bought the VFR in the first place? I would have bought a super sport if that is what I wanted, or a full touring bike. I wanted something in between, a sport touring bike. A little more of both please. I think the weight is fine, too light and it make a poor touring bike. I looked a both ends of the spectrum, and ultimately bought the VFR because it hit the mark, but I want something now that is beyond my 15 year old bike. With drive by wire throttles, cruise control and traction control should be standard on an ST bike. A really nice electronic suspension setup would be a nice option. 20 hp more from the same mill is not asking too much 15 years later is it? Fuel injection has come a long way.

I love my bike, but it could be better at everything. More comfortable, better suspension, more power. I do like a lot of the features they added, but I still expect more, depending on the price. With the 1200 I would have expected perfection for 16K, and it was no where close.

See? Your in the more ST crowd. I always have thought if you want that, why not look at the ST1300 or FJR1200 or that class of bikes?

Really looking at it, it wouldnt be all that hard to have 2 versions of the VFR with the same base engine and frame. One equipped with the stronger Touring bias and the other equipped with the heavy sport bias. Heck, that is similar to what Honda did with the 1st gen products with the Sabre, Magna and the VFR750 and the 700s.

• Member Contributer

^Glad someone recognizes 'me'. :wink:

Outside of the "shut the F**k up Donny's" my favorite part is discussing Lebowski's wife. Walter says "That ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuu*************ing biiiiiiiiiiii***ch"

Every time it's on cable I get absolutely nothing done :offtopic:

there is also a CBR300 and a CBR650f in the works, and the US gets neither. I havent seen the "X" version of the new VFR800, but Honda says it is making one............

See? Your in the more ST crowd. I always have thought if you want that, why not look at the ST1300 or FJR1200 or that class of bikes?

Really looking at it, it wouldnt be all that hard to have 2 versions of the VFR with the same base engine and frame. One equipped with the stronger Touring bias and the other equipped with the heavy sport bias. Heck, that is similar to what Honda did with the 1st gen products with the Sabre, Magna and the VFR750 and the 700s.

You're right, and I strongly looked at the FJR, but I also commute every day, and the FJR is too large to lane share. My plan is to get an FJR for touring, and keep the VFR for commuting and weekend rides. I think most VFR owners use their bike for a little of both, and are limited in their ability to buy multiple bikes to meet all their needs, thus buying a do all bike. The VFR fits the bill for most activities. I work with a VFR owner who leans towards the sport side of things, and we are both happy with the bike.

I agree with you, Honda could offer two versions: A VFR800S (sport) and a VFR800ST (sport touring)

One reason I'm interested in the new bike, is I will be ready for a new bike in a couple years. If the VFR fits the bill, I will buy another one, and sell mine. Otherwise, add the FJR, or get a 6th gen with factory luggage and ABS.

^Glad someone recognizes 'me'. :wink:

I think I recognize you from your profile photo. Complete the rest of your profile. :-)

I like my anonymity. :tongue2:

Walter: Those rich fucks! This whole fucking thing-- I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that this fucking strumpet--

Dude: I don't see any connection to Vietnam, Walter.

Walter: Well, there isn't a literal connection, Dude.

Dude: Walter, face it, there isn't any connection.

Archived