New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carver got :owned:

and this text is from the ST1100 operation manual?

You have to ask its TIMMY ....

"...

All information in this publication is based on the latest production information available at the time of approval for printing. HONDA MOTOR CO., LTD. reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice and without incurring any obligation. No part of this publication may be reproduced without written permission.

© Honda Motor Co., Ltd 1996

WELCOME

The motorcycle presents you a challenge to master the machine, a challenge to adventure. You ride through the wind, linked to the road by a vehicle that responds to your commands as no other does. Unlike an automobile, there is no metal cage around you. Like an airplane, a preride inspection and regular maintenance are essential to your safety. Your reward is freedom.

To meet the challenges safely, and to enjoy the adventure fully, you should become thoroughly familiar with this owner's manual BEFORE YOU RIDE THE MOTORCYCLE.

When service is required, remember that your Honda dealer knows your motorcycle best. If you have the required mechanical "know-how" and tools, your dealer can supply you with an official Honda Shop Manual to help you perform many maintenance and repair tasks.

Pleasant riding, and thank you for choosing a Honda!

Following codes in this manual indicate each country.

Sales Name: Pan European AR Austria E UK ED European direct sales; Belgium Holland Portugal F France FI Finland G Germany IT Italy N Norway SP Spain SW Switzerland Sales Name: ST1100 U Australia

The specifications may vary with each local.

Following words in this manual indicate each mechanism: CBS Combined Brake System ABS Anti-lock Brake System TCS Traction Control System

..."

• Member Contributer

The 2014 VFR will not be imported to the U.S. according to rideapart.com. I can see wanting more power if you're like 400lbs with a spouse to match but we're talking a freaking STREET bike, an 800cc softly sprung STREET bike that in properly trained hands can STILL keep up with most anything on the street despite the vtec, weight, suspension, and so called lack of power. At least that has been my experience in the 4 years of riding my '07 vfr. I've ridden with many guys on the latest and greatest flavor of the month bikes and they never had to wait for the old man on the vfr. Unless you are allergic to other bike brands why continue whining and pining for something Honda has no interest in making?

Aprilia has a great v4 if you must have one. Waay to many bikes on the market with all the power and suspension you can handle.

Finally, another voice of clarity, Honda improves ( via evolution) a great all-rounder, and keeps it in the do-it-all class and all we get from the masses is whining that it is not sporty or touring enough. And all this on a site filled with people who bought the bike for that very reason.

LMAO! Was thinking the same damn thing. Sport/Touring is why I am passionate about the the VFR! Nebraska is 500 miles from everywhere!

• Member Contributer

When they made the 1st through 4th gens, and even the 5th gens, the way you found out about them was by going to the newstand and picking up a magazine to see what the editors said about them. If they couldn't test ride one, most riders bought one based on those reviews. Along with their favorite brand, they may have gone to a Kawi or Suzuki dealer or whatever, kicked a few tires, talked to a salesman and bought what spoke to them. They probably liked it for what it was, forgave its shortcomings and never gave it too many second thoughts. If you owned a VFR, you might (emphasize might) know 1 or 2 others that did as well, and traded what info, knowledge, likes/dislikes, etc that you had about them. Now with the internet Honda's head must be spinning over all the opinions - riders that want this, that and the other, higher seating, lower seating, sportier, more touring, less touring, bigger engine, engine's fine, love the styling, hate the styling - on and on and on. They would have to make numerous models to keep everyone happy. Since they can make only one or at most two versions of the same one, not everyone - maybe not even a majority - is going to be happy. They have to come as close as they can. That's what I take from it - it has enough of what I like (V-4, etc) that I'll put up with what I don't like or I'll change it to my taste. Hell, that's what keeps a lot of us busy over the winter - customizing these things to our liking. I'm already licking my chops over the prospect of figuring out how to get the 10 spoke wheels on my 6th gen . . . :wink:

• Member Contributer

When they made the 1st through 4th gens, and even the 5th gens, the way you found out about them was by going to the newstand and picking up a magazine to see what the editors said about them. If they couldn't test ride one, most riders bought one based on those reviews. Along with their favorite brand, they may have gone to a Kawi or Suzuki dealer or whatever, kicked a few tires, talked to a salesman and bought what spoke to them. They probably liked it for what it was, forgave its shortcomings and never gave it too many second thoughts. If you owned a VFR, you might (emphasize might) know 1 or 2 others that did as well, and traded what info, knowledge, likes/dislikes, etc that you had about them. Now with the internet Honda's head must be spinning over all the opinions - riders that want this, that and the other, higher seating, lower seating, sportier, more touring, less touring, bigger engine, engine's fine, love the styling, hate the styling - on and on and on. They would have to make numerous models to keep everyone happy. Since they can make only one or at most two versions of the same one, not everyone - maybe not even a majority - is going to be happy. They have to come as close as they can. That's what I take from it - it has enough of what I like (V-4, etc) that I'll put up with what I don't like or I'll change it to my taste. Hell, that's what keeps a lot of us busy over the winter - customizing these things to our liking. I'm already liking my chops over the prospect of figuring out how to get the 10 spoke wheels on my 6th gen . . . :wink:

Dont forget the about front forks .. God help us when the first member installs a set on his 6gen. Game On ..

• Member Contributer

When they made the 1st through 4th gens, and even the 5th gens, the way you found out about them was by going to the newstand and picking up a magazine to see what the editors said about them. If they couldn't test ride one, most riders bought one based on those reviews. Along with their favorite brand, they may have gone to a Kawi or Suzuki dealer or whatever, kicked a few tires, talked to a salesman and bought what spoke to them. They probably liked it for what it was, forgave its shortcomings and never gave it too many second thoughts. If you owned a VFR, you might (emphasize might) know 1 or 2 others that did as well, and traded what info, knowledge, likes/dislikes, etc that you had about them. Now with the internet Honda's head must be spinning over all the opinions - riders that want this, that and the other, higher seating, lower seating, sportier, more touring, less touring, bigger engine, engine's fine, love the styling, hate the styling - on and on and on. They would have to make numerous models to keep everyone happy. Since they can make only one or at most two versions of the same one, not everyone - maybe not even a majority - is going to be happy. They have to come as close as they can. That's what I take from it - it has enough of what I like (V-4, etc) that I'll put up with what I don't like or I'll change it to my taste. Hell, that's what keeps a lot of us busy over the winter - customizing these things to our liking. I'm already liking my chops over the prospect of figuring out how to get the 10 spoke wheels on my 6th gen . . . :wink:

Dont forget the about front forks .. God help us when the first member installs a set on his 6gen. Game On ..

My wallet already hates me . . . :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Looks like Peg Blocks a VFRD exclusive product will fit the new VFR...which is good

news for the long legged owners who wish to keep their knees in the breeze

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/44940-peg-lowering-blocks/

• Member Contributer

Aprilia have reduced the cost of the bike by about $5k and added traction control and abs....this is the year to buy. I made an appointment with the Aprilia dealer for a test ride.

But what about all those poor Honda V4 projects that will be abandoned after you get an RSV4 in your garage?

Currently 9 V4 Hondas in the garage (and driveway...) but sure I will have to shift a few of those to new owners...I just have to have a proper V4 sport bike again...and I don't see an RC30 in my future.

Now that Aprilia has sorted the issue with the plastic fuel tanks vs ethanol gas I think it is time, was going to hold for Nicky Hayden edition RSV4 Factory (like the 848 Ducati sold) but Honda (and Ducati) even managed to screw that up for me. :goofy:

RC30 would be nasty. I love my 86 to death, and I couldn't imagine this bike with more power. It is already enough to get me into trouble, and it's right along newer 600-750s in the twisties. What is the power difference between them? Does anyone here actually have an RC30?

• Member Contributer

Good find!

I am actually a bit surprised to see Honda update our trusty VFR. Hopefully they expand the range and introduce the naked v-four 800 also.

- The new swingarm is dead sexy (very MV Agusta-ish)

- Beautiful rear wheel

-Upgraded suspension and brakes

-Upgraded dashboard including GPI- very helpful since most of us add these anyways. I know I love mine

-More fuel range

-LED headlight

-Turn signals integrated into the mirors

-Heated grips standard (hopefully the USA gets this also)

-Adj seat height

-Traction control (although I have never really needed this on my bike with good tires)

Dislikes:

-I am personally not in love with the new fairing shape. Still looks a bit too much like a VFR 1200 to me with its "slab siding". I like the 6th gen look better (yea, obviously biased)

-Another high mount exhaust bites the dust- thanks to EPA and noise regulations. Yeah it helps with weight, but sure is ugly stock. Keeps the exhaust companies busy though.

-Where is the luggage? Hopfeully its as good as the 6th gens- and actually holds a full face helmet in EACH bag.

Hopefully there will be some interchangability between this VFR and other gens- at least the 6th gen. The wheel, swingarm, forks, etc.

If they can keep the price (with luggage) below $10k in the US it should be marketable. I wonder if the 1200 will continue.

That leads to the next obvious question-So what generation does this make this VFR?

What's the story with the disappeared high mount? Are you saying that is because of the EPA noise regulations? Seems kind of odd to me that the "gentlemen's bike" quieter than any others, would have such a problem.

• Member Contributer

What's the story with the disappeared high mount? Are you saying that is because of the EPA noise regulations? Seems kind of odd to me that the "gentlemen's bike" quieter than any others, would have such a problem.

I think it is more to do with reducing weight, only one can vs two and lowering or centering the center of gravity. Additional weight loss for the single low mount can comes from the fact that you no longer that 20lb steel sub frame to support it and the hard bags as the bags now mount ala the VFR1200...

• Member Contributer

Looks like Peg Blocks a VFRD exclusive product will fit the new VFR...which is good

news for the long legged owners who wish to keep their knees in the breeze

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/44940-peg-lowering-blocks/

I was wondering about those..... was thinking they should work. Thanks for clearing that up!

Doing the math in my head already, trying to "justify" a new VFR. A surprising number of things should be able to swap over to the newer bike.

One of the other most important mods (my cruise control) should work as long as I can find room to shoehorn the crap under the fairing.

My conversation to the boss will go something like this:

"But hon, all the old parts will just swap right over!" :wink:

LMAO! Was thinking the same damn thing. Sport/Touring is why I am passionate about the the VFR! Nebraska is 500 miles from everywhere!

I feel your pain. Maybe not 500 miles in my case, but 1/2 day to ride to the good stuff. Long live the Racing Couch! (It's what my buddy with an RC51 calls my VFR)

• Member Contributer

I think it is more to do with reducing weight, only one can vs two and lowering or centering the center of gravity. Additional weight loss for the single low mount can comes from the fact that you no longer that 20lb steel sub frame to support it and the hard bags as the bags now mount ala the VFR1200...

Agree with weight reduction and also... one can is cheaper than two. It seems like the "dry" weight would be simular to the 5th gen now.

Would like to see it with a Two Brothers carbon fibre can on it.

• Member Contributer

The 3rd to 4th gen VFR750 got a new frame, brakes, wheels, and bodywork. Same forks, same engine, and same performance.

Honda designation: RC36

The 5th to 6th gen VFR800 got a new frame, bodywork, exhaust, Vtec. Same forks, same performance.

Honda designation: RC46

The 6th to the 8th (2014) gets new swing arm, forks, wheels, and bodywork. Same frame, brakes, and engine. Performance?

Honda designation: ?

The 3rd to 4th gen VFR750 got a new frame, brakes, wheels, and bodywork. Same forks, same engine, and same performance.

Honda designation: RC36

The 5th to 6th gen VFR800 got a new frame, bodywork, exhaust, Vtec. Same forks, same performance.

Honda designation: RC46

The 6th to the 8th (2014) gets new swing arm, forks, wheels, and bodywork. Same frame, brakes, and engine. Performance?

5th gen = 41 mm forks

6th gen = 43 mm forks

To reiterate, this is a major disappointment. This is a 2002 motorcycle on life-support. Honda, you cannot keep recycling this 2002 motorcycle and call it "new" every time. I am on to you.

• Member Contributer

I don't think radial mount calipers, dropping linked brake system and ABS/TC standard qualifies as same brakes.

Plus auto shift is optional.

The RC56 is born.

• Member Contributer

I don't think radial mount calipers, dropping linked brake system and ABS/TC standard qualifies as same brakes.

Plus auto shift is optional.

The RC56 is born.

You got me. The ABS is about the only part of the brakes held over from the previous version. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

My point remains that these changes easily make for a new generation, and the guys claiming it is a point release, i.e. gen 6.1, are sipping a bit too much schnapps.

• Member Contributer

Other than the VFRucati, I suggest her nickname is "Scarlett" for you guys in the USA.

Like Johansson, you can lust all you want but will never get your hands on her............ :-)

post-8974-0-49666500-1383899477.jpg

Archived