Are 5Th Gens Really The "best" Of The Vfr's?

marriedman

I want to establish that this is not another 5th Gen vs 6th gen thread. Well, at least I don't want it to be one. I think we can all agree that popular opinion states that the 5th gen was the pinnacle of VFR's. The perfect balance of sport and touring. And again, popular opinion is that the 6th gen was more refined and more touring than sport. I have found that most of the pictures that I have saved on my computer are of 6th gens rather than 5th.

I am still a relatively new rider. I have only had 3 years of riding experience. I started on a 250, moved up to a 750 Nighthawk and finally my 99. The 250 was great at learning the basics of motorcycling. The 750 was perfect at letting me discover what kind of rider I wanted to be. The 5th gen VFR is almost the perfect bike for me. There were many factors on the reason I purchased my VFR. Primarily because of the popular opinion that the 5th gen were "the best". The rest of the reasons apply to both the 5th and 6th gens. Now that I am getting more serious about riding, I am finding that some of my notions were based upon opinion and not fact.

One thing that bothers me is that if the 5th gen were truly the best, why was it only made 4 years and the 6th were produced for twice as long? Yes the sound of the gear whine is cool, but I find that I am more attracted to the sound of the exhaust. And speaking of exhaust, I think we can all agree that the 6th gen is just sexy as hell. The undertail exhaust helps show off the SSSA too. Accessories for the 6th gen are also far more accessable than for my 5th. The 6th also has some advances technologically speaking that are compelling. I would really love to have ABS. And from what I have read, maintenance is about the same level of difficulty for both generations. I have come to the conclusion that the VTEC issue is not really an issue at all to me. If it was really so bad, it wouldn't have been used for 8 years. That and Honda makes a quality product.

I am seriously considering attempting to trade my 5th for a 6th. But honestly I don't know if I am just pining for something I don't have. Sometimes wanting something is better than having it. I am not an agressive riding really. Sure I have hit 100 mph, but that is rare. More often than not I just cruise around if I am not taking trips.

What do you guys think, does it sound like a 6th gen would be a better fit for me, or am I just wanting something because I don't have it?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If you look to the other side of the fence, you will see the grass IS greener.......

The-Grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-fence.jpg

But if you carefully, you will see that for VFR's, the grass really IS greener on the other side of the fence....

Here you go, the true pinacle for the VFR's.........

HPIM7484.jpg

:tour:

• Member Contributer

Just to address one point. I think the reason the 6th gen has ran so long is because it wasn't a profitable market enough to develop a new one after 4 years. That, and VFR's were already pretty close to being as best as they could, minus the improved suspension of course.

If the 6th gen is more touring than sport, it is only because of the factory bags. It didn't lose any of the sport the 5th gen had. Might even be better. I'll leave that to the track guys to determine.

The 5th gen had a lot of great changes and updates that may make it the pinnacle of VFR's, depending on your definition of pinnacle. Maybe it's the pinnacle in the fact that it had FI, kept the gear driven cams, slightly larger and improved engine, linked brakes, and wasn't as technical as the 6th gen. Personally, I think adding the VTEC to an engine that's supposed to be known for it's low and midrange grunt was silly.

And that's my one point.

• Member Contributer

Can't say much more then the 5th gen is a bike to get used too.

Never tried other VFR's as I'm comming from a GSX750F and it's quite a different ride.

But I won't trade my 800FI for 4 cil in line, no way sir, this bike rides like a 2 stroke, from nothing to full-power, just the way I love it :tour:

• Member Contributer

I have a couple of 5th gens (2001) and have never ridden a 6th gen so my view is a little biased. I do love my machines.

I believe the 6th gens had to deal with tighter emission regulations, hence the VTEC. And there is no doubt in my mind the 6th gen exhaust arrangement, exposing the SSSA, is better looking.

On the other hand, I like the less angular look of the 5th s. Most of the spec sheets I see give the 5th gens better hp and torque values. And valve inspection and adjustments are cheaper for 5th gens. And it seems the 5th gens get considerably better gas milage.

At one time I considered selling my original '01 and getting an ABS model 6th gen. I eventually decided I could work on my braking and enjoy all the benefits the 5th gen.

And they are currently cheaper to buy.

Max - I agree that the less angular look is appealing, at least in the front half of the bike.

Another consideration on my part is that I plan on having a VFR for a long time, my 99 is already 13 going on 14 years old. Granted she is low miles, but before me she was not pampered nor well loved. For longevity sake, the 6th gen looks more appealing.

• Member Contributer

The sixth gen is better in some regards ABS, integrated panniers, improved fork diameter. They sound almost as amazing as the gear driven cams. I was on the path toward buying one just like you where. I don't think you'd be disappointed but to me the differences weren't great enough for me to jump ship from my suspension modified 5th gen. and power commander tuned EFI. I rode one and immediately thought about buying one. They are both great bikes. I thought the Vtec kick was sort of neat too.

I agree with those who say both models represent the best of the VFR multi task bike. From there you could only build seperate models like Sport, Touring, and Adventure tourer. I think we may see a v four super bike from Honda in time.

• Member Contributer

IMHO the only downside to the 5th gen is the suspension, and that can be fixed. I will ride mine until I can't ride it anymore. No other bike comes close in the do-it-all dept.

You have to consider how you actually ride, and what kind of bike makes you want to ride. The 5th gen does it for me on both points. Sporty/sexy enough to light the fire, and comfy enough to keep it burning.

• Member Contributer

Max - I agree that the less angular look is appealing, at least in the front half of the bike.

Another consideration on my part is that I plan on having a VFR for a long time, my 99 is already 13 going on 14 years old. Granted she is low miles, but before me she was not pampered nor well loved. For longevity sake, the 6th gen looks more appealing.

Hey Marriedman, my original '01 has 105,000 miles on it. Inspite of several crashes (none harmed the frame or engine) it has been extreemly reliable, and still runs like a Swiss watch. The only serious problems with the bike has been a rectifier and a R/R. I think both generations are longevity champions. To this date, parts avaliability has never been a problem.

• Member Contributer

I want to establish that this is not another 5th Gen vs 6th gen thread. Well, at least I don't want it to be one. I think we can all agree that popular opinion states that the 5th gen was the pinnacle of VFR's. The perfect balance of sport and touring. And again, popular opinion is that the 6th gen was more refined and more touring than sport. I have found that most of the pictures that I have saved on my computer are of 6th gens rather than 5th.

Well you do have the general consensus down. I have riden both and and came to the same conclusion. I liked the 5th better. You may like the 6th better. But I'l tell you what, - come spring we can swap rides for awhile and you can see how an upgraded suspension on a 5th gen feels. That will help you point to whether you are more a touring rider or not. -- You may even be more bias to go for an ST1100 or ST1300.

- I'll buy you a beer if you get loose sometime. :smile:

I purchased my 5th gen, new from the dealer, in March of 1998 and the reason that I still own it is because the 6th and 7th gen VFR's just didn't do it for me. Since I bought the VFR and the only bike that has tempted me is the Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and I'm glad that I have kept the VFR after reading about some of the issues related to the Sprint. If you decide to keep your 5th gen, I would recommend that you contact Jamie Dougherty to have the stock suspension reworked for your riding style. I had this done 2 season's ago and it is amazing how different the bike performs and I spent less than $650 to have the forks and the rear shock resprung and revalved. I do think that the 2007 Red,White and Blue VFR is pretty. You probably can't go wrong either way.

Thanks mello - I actually thought about you the last week. I took a day off and rode down to Oregonia finally. I am glad I went by myself for the first time though, there are some serious curves that I surely would not have wanted to have been following someone and trying to keep up with them.

Max - at my current rate of freetime/riding time, it'll take me until 2030 to reach that many miles! Damn!

• Member Contributer

I did a lot of research before getting my 99 5th Gen. All signs pointed to that bike. I am sure the 6th is a great bike. Same quality, same beefy good looks and similar pull at the throttle. I want technology without overkill. I wanted a bike that I would feel comfortable swapping parts on and off and servicing without additional electronics and gadgetry. The 5th seems to be a perfect bridge from the classic golden age sport bikes to the new generation of technology. The styling is slick but doesn't feel dated to me. I feel it isn't "trendy" for the date is was created and doesn't have any "in your face" design features. A huge leap from the 4th Gen but I feel the gap is smaller to the 6th Gen. I have had FZR's YZF's BMW... The 5th is by far my favorite of them all. Get on and ride a fast and short ride or an all day tour.

All this may seem obvious to us but it is worth noting. It is one great bike. And for some reason I don't understand, they are very affordable to buy.

• Member Contributer

My favorite of the VFR's is my 5th Gen. I've ridden a 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th. Owned only the '99. I think the 5th is a more raw feel, which translates to me as a more sporting orientated ride. I haven't heard anything better than an 800 breathing through a single Staintune. I've sorted the suspension with a rebuilt and converted 929 rear shock and RC51 forks, and raised the rear and lowered the front for more aggressive handling and turn in. I may even lower the hand position to further enhance this.

That said, there are plenty of 6th Gen riders who can leave me behind at will in the twisty bits, as well as most crotch rocket riders who think they are riding the best, latest, fastest "race bike with lights" on the market.

Comparing stock to stock, I don't think you'll find a great deal of difference in them while riding. ABS is nice to have, but I've never had it on a bike. So I don't really miss it. I've got a GIVI rack with three bags. Doesn't have the integrated look of the 6th Gen, but does the trick and I can't see it while riding anyway. I don't have any of the VTec benefits or issues. Take your pick, I think the jury's out on both counts on that one.

As far as motor simplicity, nod goes to 5th gen. As far as Chassis ,suspension, electrics and lighting, nod goes to 6th gen, those Itiems are all beefier on the 6th gen, aand 06+ 6th gens are the most reliable vfr ever made, all retrofits and upgrades are included from the factory.

• Member Contributer

If you look to the other side of the fence, you will see the grass IS greener.......

The-Grass-is-always-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-fence.jpg

But if you carefully, you will see that for VFR's, the grass really IS greener on the other side of the fence....

Here you go, the true pinacle for the VFR's.........

+4 on what HE said! NACA's forever.

HPIM7484.jpg

:tour:

As far as motor simplicity, nod goes to 5th gen. As far as Chassis ,suspension, electrics and lighting, nod goes to 6th gen, those Itiems are all beefier on the 6th gen, aand 06+ 6th gens are the most reliable vfr ever made, all retrofits and upgrades are included from the factory.

I agree with the above, having owned a 5th gen and 2 6th gens, (02 and 07), definitely better handling on the 6th gens, better looks (subjective, I know) but I'm not a fan of vtec, unnecessary overcomplication IMO, although it has proven reliability.

The story I got was that the gear driven cam 5th gen engine didnt pass euro standards for engine noise, ie the gear whine, but the truth is more likely that its manufacturing costs were too high.

I dont buy the story that vtec got it through the euro emmissions standards, there are plenty of Hondas without vtec.

The 6th gen vfr would have been a lot better bike if it just had 4 normally operating valves per cylinder, I wouldnt care if they were chain driven or gear driven, just my 2c worth

Purest don't even like the 5th gen as there Injected! The 4th gen being the best Carb'ed 750 VFR.

5th gens are awesome bikes, I have two. But the stock chassis improvements of the 6th gen won me over instantly(also loved the under tail exhaust and more angular shape), I was quicker and more confident in the first 5 miles on the 02 and now just under 100,000 miles later I still love the bike. :tour:

ALL VFR's need suspension work IMO.

VFR's Rock, any VFR! :tongue:

BR

^ Agreed, all VFRs are the bomb, and all of them need suspension mods! :wink:

I've ridden 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Gen and the 6th Gen definitely has the handling, even stock it is far better than an earlier Gen with mildly modded suspension eg. fork internals and aftermarket rear shock. Honda really got it right for the 6th.

(but 4th Gens are the best of the best)

:cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

5th gen was the best at the time for the kind of rider i was, and age. NOW, the 6th gen is preferred as I like the refinements, the vtec, the more stable feel and so on. We can't declare one better than another since we all change over time and become different riders. Although I would love to do a side by side ride comparison to judge for myself (its been too long since I rode a 5th gen!). That's probably the best method.

• Member Contributer

The 5th and 6th gens both have their desirable qualities, that's why there is one of each in my garage. I love the 5th gen motor, it has more character. I prefer the looks of the 6th gen, and the handling does seem to be more confidence inspiring to me. I am not a gifted enough rider to really discern a marked difference, I just feel more comfortable in the twisties on the 6th. My dream bike would be a 6th gen chassis with a 5th gen motor. I'm waiting for one of our mad modders to figure out how to do that.

My VFR is the BEST VFR !!! Hands down!!! :tour:

I think you will find the same true across the board, whatever gen you happen to have with be the BEST for you!

No other conversation needed unless your Trolling of course! :ph34r:

BR

Archived