Are 5Th Gens Really The "best" Of The Vfr's?

marriedman

mello - you ever consider a 6th gen rear swap? I think it is VeeferCanuck that has that and it is sharp!

Nein, not I. Member FROZEN (he's from Israel) has a 6th gen tail on his 5th gen.

I only have the 6th gen gas tank.

gallery_554_5200_5175564.jpg

gallery_554_5200_1144904.jpg

Frozen's how-to 6th gen rear section swap:

http://www.vfrdiscus...to/#entry665717

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

mello - you ever consider a 6th gen rear swap? I think it is VeeferCanuck that has that and it is sharp!

Nah - Mostly I have already had this bike stripped to bare bones and added a bunch of farkles. I'm not in any hurry to do another project outta this bike. I need to get some real miles on it. ---- My mileage is way down from normal in the last 3 (4?) years from shoulder issues and just plain life gets in the way stuff. Next season I'm gonna fix that!

- Veefers bike is incredible!

• Member Contributer

Nein, not I. Member FROZEN (he's from Israel) has a 6th gen tail on his 5th gen.

gallery_554_5200_5175564.jpg

gallery_554_5200_1144904.jpg

Frozen's how-to 6th gen rear section swap:

http://www.vfrdiscus...to/#entry665717

Pure art!!! Top notch 5th gen. Sorry to say I will need to steal a few of your ideas. I wanted to do a number plate look on the tail as well. I am looking to break up the massive slabs of Red on mine. I will be using a matt black vinyl and creating custom panels for a few locations. Thank you for posting quality photos of your machine. Impressive!

Pure art!!! Top notch 5th gen. Sorry to say I will need to steal a few of your ideas. I wanted to do a number plate look on the tail as well. I am looking to break up the massive slabs of Red on mine. I will be using a matt black vinyl and creating custom panels for a few locations. Thank you for posting quality photos of your machine. Impressive!

Thanks, there's more in my gallery if you wanna go fishin.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/album/5200-vfr-rebuild-album/page__sort_order__asc__st__120

I think what is very nice and unique about VFRs is that they are simmilar enough that you know you are going to love it (and you will), yet they are different enough to where you want one of each. I rode Kanadian Ken's 6th gen and loved it. Like a more refined 5th gen. I rode Dutchy's 4th gen and loved it. Like a thinner, more raw 5th gen. I ride my own 5th gen and love it. Etc, etc.

One of each please, but if I had to choose one, it would be the vey same bike I own now.

To answer one of the OP's questions, why was the 5th gen only produced 4 years?

Well, The VFR had typically run in 4 year cycles between redesigns:

1986, 87,88,89

1990, 91, 92, 93

1994, 95, 96, 97

1998, 99, 00, 01

As for the VTEC, there were a host of European emissions and noise laws coming on the scene after 2001 that required a redesign of the VFR, for a few reasons. The noise of the geardrive cams being one, and emissions another. The '00 and '01 bikes got catcons and closed loop FI, but it was a stopgap measure until the '02s came out with similar technology, plus the 12 hole injectors which atomized the fuel into finer droplets, ensuring more complete combustion and therefore, lower emissions. They were also quite lean running, which leads to the surging so many owners complain about, and fit power commanders to fix.

The chain drive cams were quieter, plus I had read directly on the World Honda site back in 2002 in a press briefing that "the VTEC system reduces sound pressure levels in the combustion chamber" presumably when the bike is in 2-valve operation.

So why didn't they redesign the bike again in 2006? Well they did a model update, with the revised fuelling and VTEC engagement points, but that was it.

Maybe Mother Honda had other priorities, the cash flow was going to other projects, maybe the VFR was selling well enough (in markets other than the USA) that a redesign wasn't warranted, etc. We will never know for sure, only the bigwigs at Big H know for sure.

• Member Contributer

If ask Honda which is the best VFR you won't get a silly political correct answer... they will hit the

track with all the VFRs and one with the lowest lap wins... that would be your 5th gen because its

based on their exotic RC45...

gallery_3131_4864_153485.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_83569.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_338719.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_28938.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_141679.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_192277.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_397506.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_254147.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_354256.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_469908.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_322737.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_12912.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_391370.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_261536.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_282721.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_236866.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_501032.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_275387.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_485353.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_279721.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_12702.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_235751.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_396223.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_173748.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_347337.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_38346.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_259431.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_14030.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_224739.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_75301.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_502202.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_247911.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_354039.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_474374.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_220476.jpg

gallery_3131_4864_164370.jpg

• Member Contributer
:computer-noworky: ummm ... come on guys ... no more pleeeassse ... enough torture already .... I want my 5th gen baaaaaccckk!!!!! :pissed:

I too believe the whole question on which gen was better is strictly a personal thing, and has a lot to do with which gen you currently own.

Once you own a 7th gen all the others seem to fade into the past, never to be thought of again.

• Member Contributer

Larry, thanks so much for posting up that historic article. Modern day moto-journalism is so lacking compared to that...

• Member Contributer

Twelve pages this time. I recommend we dispense with the arguing over which gen is best and settle this like real men.

q3743012_1057216_4139ruler.jpg

or for the rabid 5th gen'ers out there.

micrometer1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd be interested in seeing which was faster around a track. All things being equal, I think the 6th gen would eek out a win, just. The VTEC should only hurt performance at the lower half of revs, where you wouldn't spend too much time anyways.

• Member Contributer

I love my 6th Gen and plan to keep it until the wheels fall off, but if I was going to chose one Gen or the other as a track/sport bike, vice a commuter/sport, I would go with the 5th Gen. It would need a few improvements, they both would actually, but I think the 5th Gens link to the RC30/45 lineage is more intact and that with the gear driven cams and lack of VTEC components, I would feel better pushing it on the track. As a commuter/sport bike the 6th Gen feels right at home, but the last time I rode a 5th Gen was so long ago, I really can't do a fair comparison on its commuter/sport abilities. Of course, this is just my opinion and YMMV.

<snip>

I had not seen Fronzen's thread, I think I was confused with your exhaust. Your must be a Wolf exhaust system then? Either way, it looks fantastic. I actually found your restoration thread on another forum and kept thinking, "Man, I gotta show this to the VFRD guys..." Then I realized who you were! You did a fantastic job on your bike.

You ceramic coated your exhaust all the way back to the silencer, didn't you? I actually called a place here and they quoted me $225 to completely clean/blast and coat it. But they would have to skip the catcon naturally. I am up in the air whether to go with the chrome look or flat black. I love the look of yours, thats why I ask.

I'd be interested in seeing which was faster around a track. All things being equal, I think the 6th gen would eek out a win, just. The VTEC should only hurt performance at the lower half of revs, where you wouldn't spend too much time anyways.

6th gen guaranteed... I'm talking stock set up here... I owned both for a few years and put them both to the test.

The improved chassis, braking and front forks on the 6th gen allows you to squeeze more out of the 6th gen... BUT... I bet Canuk's 5th gen would get even better laptimes (given the same rider, that is to say, ME!!)... sometimes it is NOT an advantage to be up in the higher RPMs and somtimes you need more pull from down low.

All that time up in the VTEC RPM range will take its toll on the cam chains, valve and general engine wear...

Also, both the 5th gen and 6th gen overheat far too much on the track... one needs to override the fan circuitery and have a manual OFF and/or ON at will option, or, if used exclusively on the track, invert the flow with an SP01 helix... and even so, my '03 ended up with warped heads from overheating (120 deg Celsius, at which point the display console starts blinking madly, 5ºC more and I believe the engine would cut out on you as a failsafe measure).

Like many have said, the ideal VFR (among available characteristics) would be 6th gen rolling chassis and 5th gen motor... and a front rad hehehe.

• Member Contributer

It's just a fan, if you mount a relais between the wires you can switch from automatic to manual. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

I had not seen Frozen's thread, I think I was confused with your exhaust. Your must be a Wolf exhaust system then? Either way, it looks fantastic. I actually found your restoration thread on another forum and kept thinking, "Man, I gotta show this to the VFRD guys..." Then I realized who you were! You did a fantastic job on your bike.

Thanks. It's not a WOLF system, I wanted one, but first I couldn't afford one, then by the time I could, they had stopped making them.

A few came up on Ebay from time to time, but they wanted Mucho Dinero for them, for (mostly) dirty old exhausts. Forget that!

So I made my own. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/28435-custom-devil-dual-underseat-exhaust-system/

You ceramic coated your exhaust all the way back to the silencer, didn't you? I actually called a place here and they quoted me $225 to completely clean/blast and coat it. But they would have to skip the catcon naturally. I am up in the air whether to go with the chrome look or flat black. I love the look of yours, thats why I ask.

Yes, it was all ceramic coated. Info in the link above.

$225 is a good price, as long as they do a GOOD job on the sandblasting. It's gotta be right to white metal everywhere, or you're gonna get rust bleeding through. I did my own, at work. Took a VERY long time to get it perfect, as it's a fairly small cabinet, I was JUST able to fit the exhaust in there, and flip it around as needed.

As for the CatCon, since yours is a 1999, it doesn't have one. There is a bulge where the pipes merge, but there's nothing inside there.

2000-2001 have Cats, 1998-1999 do not (except overseas models, which do, if they have a HECS decal on the sidepanel).

hecs3_2000119.jpg

It's just a fan, if you mount a relais between the wires you can switch from automatic to manual. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

It's not hard to do with a DPDT switch you can have all three possible options at the flip of a switch.

I had not seen Frozen's thread, I think I was confused with your exhaust. Your must be a Wolf exhaust system then? Either way, it looks fantastic. I actually found your restoration thread on another forum and kept thinking, "Man, I gotta show this to the VFRD guys..." Then I realized who you were! You did a fantastic job on your bike.

Thanks. It's not a WOLF system, I wanted one, but first I couldn't afford one, then by the time I could, they had stopped making them.

A few came up on Ebay from time to time, but they wanted Mucho Dinero for them, for (mostly) dirty old exhausts. Forget that!

So I made my own. http://www.vfrdiscus...exhaust-system/

Yes, it was all ceramic coated. Info in the link above.

$225 is a good price, as long as they do a GOOD job on the sandblasting. It's gotta be right to white metal everywhere, or you're gonna get rust bleeding through. I did my own, at work. Took a VERY long time to get it perfect, as it's a fairly small cabinet, I was JUST able to fit the exhaust in there, and flip it around as needed.

As for the CatCon, since yours is a 1999, it doesn't have one. There is a bulge where the pipes merge, but there's nothing inside there.

2000-2001 have Cats, 1998-1999 do not (except overseas models, which do, if they have a HECS decal on the sidepanel).

hecs3_2000119.jpg

Here is the place I got the quote from. Mello dude, maybe you have heard of them? Aesthetic Finishers in Piqua Ohio.

http://www.afipowder.com/motorsports/photo-gallery-2/

They come highly recommended from a guy I know that restores classic exotic sports cars professionally. He works on Ferrari's, Porsches, Pantera's... you name it. He has used them for some classic muscle cars in the past. This place also has a contract for corvette headers coatings. Plus the owner was the guy who gave me the quote. Said he has never done a VFR before, so I would be the guiniea pig. If he did a good job, I said I would sing his praise on this forum. That is my one project for this winter. Never take the exhaust off of anything in my life, so this should be interesting!

Oh, one more question - Jet coat = ceramic coat ?

• Member Contributer

.Here is the place I got the quote from. Mello dude, maybe you have heard of them? Aesthetic Finishers in Piqua Ohio.

http://www.afipowder...hoto-gallery-2/

They come highly recommended from a guy I know that restores classic exotic sports cars professionally. He works on Ferrari's, Porsches, Pantera's... you name it. He has used them for some classic muscle cars in the past. This place also has a contract for corvette headers coatings. Plus the owner was the guy who gave me the quote. Said he has never done a VFR before, so I would be the guiniea pig. If he did a good job, I said I would sing his praise on this forum. That is my one project for this winter. Never take the exhaust off of anything in my life, so this should be interesting!

Oh, one more question - Jet coat = ceramic coat ?

- Yes - Jet coat is simular or is a ceramic coat. The main thing is its about reducing the temperatures with a good finish. The preparation makes or breaks it. I have heard of a few complaints with Jet hot in that the prep wasnt good enuff and rust came through. I dont know how common that is.

-- -I have heard of the place in Piqua, but no experience with them. Some of the squids on ohioriders have said their work was very good.

- There are several competitors on this stuff, do your homework.

Jet Hot

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Couple others --

http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

http://swaintech.com/

-- I have to qualify my experience is zilch, I just did a strip, sand down and repaint. Not gonna chase this until I get a rust hole. Planning on Motads after that.

Sorry, I had a change of heart over my earlier comments. The 5th gens suck, you should all go buy 6th gen VFRs. As a service to my fellow VFR riders that are woefully suffering on their 5th gens, I will graciously dispose of them in my garage.

Someone has to make the sacrifice, and I am good to go on the sacrifice front. I know, no need to thank me, it's just the burden I carry. :sad:

So... what are you drinking tonight? I may be PUI, but this is some tasty Bud. :beer:

Archived