Are 5Th Gens Really The "best" Of The Vfr's?

marriedman

• Member Contributer

5th gen engine with 6th gen "stuff" would be the absolute best.

Absolutely! I was going to post the very same thing if nobody else did. There's no substitute for gear cam whine!!! :tour:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, shucks, you can agonize all day long about what bike is best, I just buy what fits my needs at the time, is within budget, and isn't a total trainwreck. (At least not a trainwreck that I can tell after a couple hours of Googlin')

Sling yer leg over and ride! Mind you I parked an '07 ST3 shortly after I picked up my '99 that had about 70k more miles, and have had a blast after only doing basic maintenance. Haven't even gotten around to changing the fork oil, and the forks compress enough under hard braking I probably need to have them re-done completely. I'm so satisfied with my VFR and having enough fun with it that it is hard to motivate myself to fix up the ST3, and do the valve adjustment it needs every bloody time I change the oil! :rolleyes:

...In other words, I'm probably not a good person to ask about the finer points of handling a bike, I just enjoy the lighter "feel" even if it about the same weight. :laugh:

::EDIT:: Actually, I DO have fairly picky requirements for a "best bike". Namely it has to get me to work in the morning!

• Member Contributer

My VFR is the BEST VFR !!! Hands down!!! :tour:

I think you will find the same true across the board, whatever gen you happen to have with be the BEST for you!

No other conversation needed unless your Trolling of course! :ph34r:

BR

But it can really only be the best if you're running the best oil in it.

Aww, shucks, you can agonize all day long about what bike is best, I just buy what fits my needs at the time, is within budget, and isn't a total trainwreck.

Truer words have never been spoken. The VFR fit my needs and my budget at the time I bought it. I am happy with it, but I am just having the "what if" conversation with myself.

I owned a 5th Gen for 24k miles, and currently have my 6th Gen that I've owned for 23k miles.

To be perfectly honest, except for the VTEC, it's really tough to tell the difference between the two engines. Yes the gear whine is awesome on the 5th gen. I loved that sound along with an aftermarket exhaust. Sounds like a NASCAR engine. Having said that the 6th Gen exhaust sounds pretty good too!

Going from the 5th to 6th, the biggest difference I noticed was the chassis. You can push the 6th Gen pretty hard in the twisties and it will reveal its shortcomings much later than the 5th gen. It feels like the 6th gen has a firmer suspension and greater ground clearance.

Having said that I wish the 6th gen didn't have the VTEC....I just don't get the point of it when it has the same power. Then again I love the look of the 6th gen especially the sharp edges of the bodywork and that undertail exhaust.

If you're in love with the look of the 6th gen then just go for it. There are still plenty of them at relatively low miles so this is the time to get one.

About that gear whine, I get more comments from people thinking my engine is about to explode than comments about the very sexy full body, high-vis riding suit I wear.

"Loud gears save lives!" is my personal motto. :smile:

Might be good to clarify "Loud camshaft gears save lives." Or something along those lines.

Might as well add it to my more somber "Nothing but the rain."

• Member Contributer

The '01 is the best bike I've ever owned and possibly ever will. Can't comment on 6th, though - never ridden one.

Hi-rise Hindle and Racetech full mod with Elka 3-way shock. I was as crushed (figuratively) as the bike was (literally) when it was totalled by a blind cager.

post-8780-0-95810000-1354394899.jpg

• Member Contributer

Do you prefer a Quarter Pounder or a Big Mac? Same difference.

About that gear whine, I get more comments from people thinking my engine is about to explode than comments about the very sexy full body, high-vis riding suit I wear.

Whiners get slapped in the grocery store, is my motto.

• Member Contributer

The '01 is the best bike I've ever owned and possibly ever will. Can't comment on 6th, though - never ridden one.

Hi-rise Hindle and Racetech full mod with Elka 3-way shock. I was as crushed (figuratively) as the bike was (literally) when it was totalled by a blind cager.

Outstanding example! That was alot of silver! Q-tips to clean it looks like. Well done :fing02: I thought mine was clean.

• Member Contributer

You hear that cam gear whine... it means good things are about to happen... 5th Gen gets my voteas the best of the VFRs... no one ever asked Honda for VTEC or a 1200 shafty... what they did ask for was something like the Aprilia Tuono V4... more sport less foof...2011-aprilia-tuono-v4-r-2.jpg

Pardon me, but you should enjoy your VFR and don't worry about it. If you insist on exploring the differences, ride someone's 6th Gen. It's all good, especially if you consider the modifications that riders make. Personally, I think that gear drive vs. chain drive is a red herring. Each works. Each gets the job done. Only pikers who care about form over function give a crap about the difference

I like my 6th Gen, but I enjoy riding a 5th Gen as well. I wouldn't make a big deal out of switching from one to the other. But note that these bikes require suspension/fueling mods to unlock their potential. The 5th Gen and the 6th Gen have abysmal stock suspensions, and the stock fueling is awful on the 6th Gen. Just my opinion.

• Member Contributer

It's way better than a rattly loud clutch! I got an RC51 and 5th Gen, love the cam gears! :cool:

• Member Contributer

You hear that cam gear whine... it means good things are about to happen... 5th Gen gets my voteas the best of the VFRs... no one ever asked Honda for VTEC or a 1200 shafty... what they did ask for was something like the Aprilia Tuono V4... more sport less foof...2011-aprilia-tuono-v4-r-2.jpg

If I had the $$. Award for the ugliest badass bike I want to own!

A guy over in the UK did the 5th gen motor to 6th gen bike swap, I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Cam Gear Whine Obsession = BullShit that Matters to Folks who Elevate Form Over Function.

Can we have an honest discussion of the meanimgful differences between the 5th Gen and the 6th Gen?

The answer to that question is likely, "No."

• Member Contributer

Cam Gear Whine Obsession = BullShit that Matters to Folks who Elevate Form Over Function.

Tell that to the guys that have cam chain tensioner issues.

• Member Contributer

Tell that to the guys that have cam chain tensioner issues.

Or to the 5th gen'ers whose RRs lost their magic smoke out on the road somewhere.

Are 5th gens the best VFRs? If you have one, absolutely!

• Member Contributer

Outstanding example! That was alot of silver! Q-tips to clean it looks like. Well done :fing02: I thought mine was clean.

Actually, just the local washwand & wax! $4 and 5 minutes.

• Member Contributer

NanNook of the north says Cam Gears are like white show... Cam Chains are like yellow snow...

• Member Contributer

So is that why Aprilia used cam driven gears in their SBK race bike? For the form, not for the extra power gain from being able to run tighter valving on the engine? Geared cams have some very nice advantages over chain systems. The biggest problem with them is the extra rotational weight.

The gears driven cam noise is just like an exhaust note. Some people like it, some don't. I like the sound of it. I also like the whine from a supercharger.

Can we have an honest discussion of the meanimgful differences between the 5th Gen and the 6th Gen?

The answer to that question is likely, "No."

This isn't a 5th vs 6th gen thread, so you would be right there. But no one has been smashing any of the bikes either.

Archived