Are 5Th Gens Really The "best" Of The Vfr's?

marriedman

• Member Contributer

@BLS: Geeze Larry. Nothing in moderation, huh? I predict the bandwidth police will be at your door shortly.

No moderation and no mercy... especially when the thread gets jacked by silly French Fries and Cars...

Larry, thanks so much for posting up that historic article. Modern day moto-journalism is so lacking compared to that...

You're welcome... before they went out of business they covered one other Honda V4 but I think

there should have been more at least do the RC30...

1497688377_2a6bc16e2e_o.jpg

1814949696_cc25753159_o.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be sacrilegious but I can't help but remember how Honda tried to conquer the world with v4 powered standards, cruisers and sport bikes in the 80's. Some great bikes with some thoughtful engineering but early cam failures and Kawasaki's Ninja 600 & 900 revealed the buying public at large wanted performance in a familiar I4 package. Honda never admitted defeat with their V4 design but they did come out with the seminal Hurricane 600 & 1000 in 1987 to take back sales lost to Kawasaki and Suzuki ( something named GSXR).

Years down the road we have a lovely vfr1200, refined vfr800 series and serious sportbikes in the form of the cbr 600/1000. V4 domination never really happened but that's ok. I love my '07 for what is, a fun, nimble comfortable all rounder. Maybe it's just me but I found that after several thousand miles my 6th gen seemed to smooth out quite nicely. Or maybe it's the throttle control learned from riding my Suzuki Bking.

• Member Contributer
V4 domination never really happened but that's ok.

The competition saw plenty of V4 domination why between the RC30 and RC45 alone exist more

than 60 titles that no I4 ever came close to matching...

Mr.Honda's RC45 score card...

4 Isle of Man TT F1 titles...

3 Isle of Man Senior titles...

3 World Endurance Championships...

5 Suzuka 8 Hour wins...

2 AMA Superbike Championship...

2 Daytona 200 wins...

1 World Superbike Championship...

2 Australian Superbike Championships...

1 Macau Grand Prix...

1 Ulster Grand Prix

1 24 Hours of Lemans

4 NorthWest 200

WSBK wins by engine configuration...

V4 5 (3)Honda (2)Aprilia...

I4 4 (1)Kawasaki (1)Honda (1)Suzuki (1)Yamaha

V4s dominate except in cost...

1471045062_791f0f912f_o.jpg

1471045056_273d1ca2a5_o.jpg

1471045046_f0ca65ffd9_o.jpg

1471045040_7a494523d6_o.jpg

No?????

U prefer ketchup with your fries??? :laugh:

I don't think Rupert Paul knows the difference between those fries and a motorcycle.

Is he a celebrity chief or something? Sure doesn't know a thing about bikes based on his read.

5th Generation is the definitely the best so far.

The Japanese Police Force was still riding them as of 2011. I did not make it over there this year.

IMG_2490-XL.jpg

• Member Contributer

The Japanese Police Force was still riding them as of 2011. I did not make it over there this year.

I have a feeling they kept them so long more because they are reliable and did the job than they are the best bikes in the world. They might not have wanted the full touring sized bikes like the ST or a BMW like some other countries that aren't as dense.

I don't think Rupert Paul knows the difference between those fries and a motorcycle.

Is he a celebrity chief or something? Sure doesn't know a thing about bikes based on his read.

If you look at the photos again you might notice that he isn't looking through rose-tinted glasses.

Archived