New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

There's a new ho in town

Eveybody is talking about the new ho in town.....

:-)

• Member Contributer

So a nun walks into a whorehouse with a duck under her arm....

What? You don't like duck jokes???

Agree on under tail exhaust. That's a radiator mounted properly, btw (threw me off too).

On a serious note, can someone who has owned (or owns) a fifth gen and a sixth gen provide an objective ride report when the 8th gen is available for test rides? I would like to know the merits of each, and what each offers. My fifth gen is getting tired, and I should have the money to replace it in a year or two, so I would like some information to help me decide what to buy.

The key is an objective report. What does each offer, and is it worth the price to get the new one, or just buy a clean sixth gen? It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a low mileage example with luggage and ABS, and I like shiny new things. On paper I like all the little features the 8th gen adds, but saving 6 grand is always good.

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

• Member Contributer

I will post my ride report findings after the test in April/May.

You can take what I say with a grain of salt and make certain your refresh your memory by reading my past posts on the merits of Honda's faux Vtec/cam chain 6G engine vs the pretty much perfect 5G engine based on the RC45 architecture.

That aside, Honda do appear to have tried to make improvements within the economic scope of using a 12 year old frame and engine for the new 800.

We shall see.

• Member Contributer

I will post my ride report findings after the test in April/May.

You can take what I say with a grain of salt and make certain your refresh your memory by reading my past posts on the merits of Honda's faux Vtec/cam chain 6G engine vs the pretty much perfect 5G engine based on the RC45 architecture.

That aside, Honda do appear to have tried to make improvements within the economic scope of using a 12 year old frame and engine for the new 800.

We shall see.

We trust your opinion BUT I'm gonna ride it also. I hope theres a Honda Engineer there so i can confirm the rumor about why Honda did not put the VTEC on the 5th Gen motor

Because the gears could not take the stress ..

I hope theres a Honda Engineer there so i can confirm the rumor about why Honda did not put the VTEC on the 5th Gen motor

Because the gears could not take the stress ..

Gears could not take the stress, but a chain could? Now, I am not very knowledgeable about engineering... but that just doesn't sound right. Especially when Honda non-VTEC bikes have such a cam chain failure reputation.

• Member Contributer

^ No, 52 posts away and the post count is tracking at approximately 10% of views so this thread should hit 1,000 posts and 100,000 views at roughly the same time!

• Member Contributer

The front rebound damping on the 8th gen is a welcome improvement. The 6th gen front suspension sucks.

I wanna test ride this thing already!

I really like my stock 6th gen suspension. I like the character of the VTEC engine and the way it feels like an old 2 stroke so maybe that says a lot.

Neither one keeps from having a great time on the bike and the faster I go the better both of them work. Maybe if I go 1 mph faster the whole thing will get evil.

KEB

• Member Contributer

So I just got back from the Seattle M/C show (Friday). I was one of the first at the gate and made a beeline to the Honda pavilion (well, sort of - I got sidetracked at the Ducati display by their well, ehhmm - "talent"). The Honda reps were all milling around trading lies when finally one of them looked at me and said "can I help you?" I replied "only if you have the new VFR here". There was a silence when the district rep spoke up and said "it's not in the U.S. yet". I replied "WHAT - are you kidding me?" Nope. According to him, they're not on US soil yet and no ETA on when that might be. I still can't decide if Honda truly keeps these guys in the dark of if they're just holding back. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the latter . . . :ph34r: Honestly this seems like a case of "Ready, Fire, Aim" on Honda's part. Why would they delay the introduction in to the US market so as to miss the winter M/C circuit? They should have at least had one on hand for display purposes. If they keep going like this, they'll get it here about October so they can get them on dealer's floors just in time for winter and they can get to discounting them right away. :wacko:

So I changed the topic on him and asked him if he's seen this thread. No. Then I went on to mention that he should check it out, as it has nearly 100,000 hits since it was first posted when the EICMA announcement was made. "Really? Wow - that's a lot!" I was thinking "don't you guys look at these websites???" Apparently not. Then I went on to ask him if Honda takes any feedback from shows about what buyers want. "Absolutely" (more lies, probably). Great - I figured I couldn't make the list too long as I'm not sure how much mental RAM he was packing - but here was what I gave him. "Start with the new model and give it fully adjustable suspension front and rear, a 90 degree V, 1 full liter displacement, lose the VTEC and . . . (emphasis added) Gear Driven Cams. Got it? If you build that bike in this formula, chain final drive, similar styling, I will buy one." Whether that does any good, I don't know - but I did at least get my $.02 in as directly as I can with the mother ship. I did mention the steps they have taken that are positive, such as the bag mount system that does away with the external roll cage, so I wasn't totally bashing the new bike

Another bit of intel is that he said that the parts fiche will not be made available on line until the bikes are released to the dealers. I mentioned that as soon as that happens, the parts swapping shall begin!

Lastly I asked him if they have officially put a bullet in the 1200 as they did not have one on hand (I think he said it's in the brochure still). They all took their turn saying that they didn't have any direct intel on that, but certainly looked like that's the way it's going - they'll clear out remaining inventory and that will be the end of its run. So no VFRs whatsoever at the show. :sad2: I did get in to a discussion at the Arai display with the rep. I bought my Signet Q in a color called "Diamond White", which is just a metallic white. His face lit up and he replied "Arai did that to match the 2006 VFR color". I had no idea. That got us in to a whole discussion of all the VFR's he's owned, his favorite being a '93 which he sold to a kid that promptly wrecked it (wishes he still had it).

Overall, the show seemed smaller than I recall past shows being, but maybe that's like remembering everything being bigger when I was a kid. At the entrance Progressive had some girls handing out bags with a giant "Flo" photo on them . . . I have to wonder if Progressive really thinks most riders want their image to be of flaunting a big "Flo" photo to their fellow riders. If someone had been with me I would have turned to them and said "if you see me carrying one of those around, promise me you'll just shoot me and put me out of your misery!"

That is all.

I want to like it, I really do but...

It's looks are growing on me and its got some good features.

The VFR used to be a technological leader, but the engine is the same, the frame is the same, VTEC is is something no one wants or needs, we all want GDC's back.

Is the suspension good enough?

I can't help but feel Honda have missed the mark here. Perhaps this is the bike we should have got in 2002?

Archived