New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

Agree with CornerCarver. I have never been happy with the weight, the suspension, or the engine of the last bike. Seems like those still got minimal attention since 2002. They changed things that are mostly cosmetic, but when you are actually riding the bike, you may think you are still on the 2002 bike if you didn't look down. Obviously I am speculating since no one has ridden it, but nothing I've read would suggest much of a difference. EDIT: It will feel thinner between the knees, which is about time.

Still, I will check one out, but not getting my hopes up. I think the BRAKES may be an improvement though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who will be the first?

My union contract just got hosed, so will there be a drive to "Buy Timmy's New Bike" ? ?????

It will hopefully be next year for me. This years tax return and bonus are already spent = (

I can't believe how many people are complaining about the price. My 1998 had an MSRP of 9.5K, so 13.5K for all the upgrades seems like a bargain. That is only an average increase of 250.00 per year or less than 3%. So when factoring in inflation, it has actually gotten cheaper.

What exactly are the upgrades that you perceive? I'll spot you the traction control even though it is not a traction control per se but uses the ABS to prevent wheel slip.

Are you talking about the warmed over 12 year old engine?

The fake Vtech that does nothing like the real Vtech in Honda cars (variable vale timing and lift would be unique)?

I can only think of the fact that in 2014 Honda has finally decided to allow purchasers of the halo model VFR to have the same fork adjsutments of a CBR600F3 from what 20 years ago?

The weight loss is mostly from the alloy rear sub frame (possible now that they are using VFR1200 style bag mounts), the loss of the centerstand and the loss of the second exhaust can that is no longer under the tail.

When you look at the weight of the (YeeHaa) Deluxe model (with centerstand added) it exceeds the 5G weight.

Tell what improvements I am missing. I will let you know in May after my test ride whether the no longer linked brakes are improved or you can look at the published stopping distances from (IIRC) NMotorcyclist and see that the 5G VFR was top 10 all time tested in stopping distance from 60mph.

All that being said, it is still a new VFR and cause for celebration. It will have to be really crappy for me to not continue my 31 year love affair with the bike.

I think it is a lot of nice little upgrades. ABS, TC, LED lights (my 5th gen's lights suck), heated grips, nicer dash, better integrated luggage (no ugly brackets), better brakes, pro shifter option, adjustable seat (I'm 5'5", so a 31" seat height is worth a lot). Sum of parts theory I guess. Sure, there is more I would like to see, but nothing else I can buy that is a VFR except a used VFR. At least I can now consider (pending a ride) a new one with 90% of the mods I would want from the factory. Still needs that ugly can replaced, and maybe some more power.

The VFR is like the Porsche 911, change it too much, and everyone hates it, so just make small improvements with time.

For me, my bike will need replacing in a couple years, and I can't find another bike that I like better. Was going to just look for a 6th gen (5th gens are too hard to find in good condition with low miles), but now I can consider this. What else is there in the 800cc sport touring category? BMW f800? Less power, no thanks. Ninja 1000, expensive insurance and it is ugly, but maybe work a look. No V-4 though. FJR? Talk about heavy, don't want to hustle that beast between cars to work every day. Tiger 800XC? Too tall for my short legs. Basically, I want my bike, but new.

Hey, I keep checking the classified, but no one here is unloading their nicely farkled 6th gens yet. ; )

BTW, maybe the 1000th poster should win the new VFR to review on this thread?

• Member Contributer

who will be the first?

My union contract just got hosed, so will there be a drive to "Buy Timmy's New Bike" ? ?????

It will hopefully be next year for me. This years tax return and bonus are already spent = (

I can't believe how many people are complaining about the price. My 1998 had an MSRP of 9.5K, so 13.5K for all the upgrades seems like a bargain. That is only an average increase of 250.00 per year or less than 3%. So when factoring in inflation, it has actually gotten cheaper.

What exactly are the upgrades that you perceive? I'll spot you the traction control even though it is not a traction control per se but uses the ABS to prevent wheel slip.

The fake Vtech that does nothing like the real Vtech in Honda cars (variable vale timing and lift would be unique)?

I can only think of the fact that in 2014 Honda has finally decided to allow purchasers of the halo model VFR to have the same fork adjsutments of a CBR600F3 from what 20 years ago?

The weight loss is mostly from the alloy rear sub frame (possible now that they are using VFR1200 style bag mounts), the loss of the centerstand and the loss of the second exhaust can that is no longer under the tail.

When you look at the weight of the (YeeHaa) Deluxe model (with centerstand added) it exceeds the 5G weight.

Tell what improvements I am missing. I will let you know in May after my test ride whether the no longer linked brakes are improved or you can look at the published stopping distances from (IIRC) NMotorcyclist and see that the 5G VFR was top 10 all time tested in stopping distance from 60mph.

All that being said, it is still a new VFR and cause for celebration. It will have to be really crappy for me to not continue my 31 year love affair with the bike.

I have to totally agree with Corner Carver. I'm disappointed again, after hearing about a new release VFR, but it has been 15 yrs now, and i think my annual anticipation has turned into anxiety. That each year, they may be coming out with a true, current, VFR "SPORT" tour bike, that i will have to have, ending my daily love affair with my 99. The one i have spent all my time and money on over the years, trying keep her current instead. So another year goes by, and it looks like it is still going to be me and old 99"

• Member Contributer

In 2001 when i went from a CBR to the VFR, i did not feel as though i was giving up the sport, only gaining the tour w/ more comfortable ergonomics and torque. The 1200 felt like more of a ST update than our VFR, and Im happy to see the 800 back, but as CC said it feels like a 10 year old bike with fresh lipstick; But it is back. :smile:

• Member Contributer

feels like a 10 year old bike with fresh lipstick; But it is back. :smile:

So you're saying it's like a cougar?

I can dig it...

:smile:

Or a pig with lipstick ....

• Member Contributer

Maybe this is just to tie us over till we get a new race-dervived model ala the RC/VFR relationship.This would be modern if it was 2009,but Honda is following the pack instead of leading as they did from 69-mid 90's.Improved brakes and suspension will be welcomed,but hope the VTEC is greatly evolved.... :happy:

• Member Contributer

CBR is Honda premier platform ...

Whaaaaat????? a mass produced disposable repli-racer is Honda's premier platform?

Then they must be about to but Acura badging on the VFR800.

• Member Contributer

CBR is Honda premier platform ...

Whaaaaat????? a mass produced disposable repli-racer is Honda's premier platform?

Then they must be about to but Acura badging on the VFR800.

Honda Powersports ....

• Member Contributer

who will be the first?

I think it is a lot of nice little upgrades. ABS, TC, LED lights (my 5th gen's lights suck), heated grips, nicer dash, better integrated luggage (no ugly brackets), better brakes, pro shifter option, adjustable seat (I'm 5'5", so a 31" seat height is worth a lot). Sum of parts theory I guess. Sure, there is more I would like to see, but nothing else I can buy that is a VFR except a used VFR. At least I can now consider (pending a ride) a new one with 90% of the mods I would want from the factory. Still needs that ugly can replaced, and maybe some more power.

You make some good points here. Nice post.

• Member Contributer

At last, the true "7th Gen " is here.

That 1200 cc thing is now just another Honda.

After having a ride on one I decided I would head on down to Chattanooga this weekend and pick me up one of them there 1200cc Hondas. Switchblade and I will figure out whether it is worthy of the VFR moniker this spring.

Weekends at the gap will look different this year.

KEB

• Member Contributer

After having a ride on one I decided I would head on down to Chattanooga this weekend and pick me up one of them there 1200cc Hondas. Switchblade and I will figure out whether it is worthy of the VFR moniker this spring.

KEB

I am hoping to stop in there tomorrow on my way home from Nashville and put my name on the list for the '14 800 when it arrives in May for a test ride.

• Member Contributer

KEB

AMEN to that !!!!

• Member Contributer

KEB

I am hoping to stop in there tomorrow on my way home from Nashville and put my name on the list for the '14 800 when it arrives in May for a test ride.

Now wait a minute why would you want to ride the bike that you know your not gonna buy .

I know so you can give us a nonpartisan opinion .

• Member Contributer

KEB

Now wait a minute why would you want to ride the bike that you know your not gonna buy .

Maybe I don't know it , know it - you know?

I really want a Honda RSV4 Factory but....

• Member Contributer

KEB

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Hey HS. Heads up. When post # 999 pops up everyone will have the 1000th post already prepared and the whole VFRD family is going to hit POST simultaneously. Could we bring the server down trying to win the new VFR? Sounds like fun! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

KEB

:beer:

So May test rides in Chattanooga...Nice little TMAC twist eh? I bet we could make an interesting day of VFR test ride abuse to talk about for years to come. Would love to get the new 14 on that gocart track behind the hotel.

KEB

• Member Contributer

KEB

Amazing how the same guy ^^^ can say all of these things:

1. A certain trio of riders on Ninja 300s would drive Switchblade nuts on the Dragon

2. Less power can be more fun

3. Time to slow down

4. I don't know how to slow down; just go faster and faster

5. The K1200S is like a faster VFR

6. Time for a Veefalo

Does this mean the Anniversary VFR is up for sale or will you have 4 bikes in the stable now? Can I get a discount on it if it is for sale?

• Member Contributer

KEB

1. A certain trio of riders on Ninja 300s would drive Switchblade nuts on the Dragon

3. Time to slow down

6. Time for a Veefalo

Does this mean the Anniversary VFR is up for sale or will you have 4 bikes in the stable now? Can I get a discount on it if it is for sale?

Drive me nuts , good luck with that , I'm married ...

Hey Steve time to trade the Beamer for the new VFR ?

• Member Contributer

They should have announced its arrival to the US sooner. I just bought some shiny new toys for the K12S around the time we were all debating about whether or not the VFR would come to the US in 2014. I might have held off had I known. As it stands, I will probably stretch another 15K miles out of the current ride: just in time for the next valve check and Ohlins refresh. That will put me in line for a new bike in the Spring of 2016, when there should be some leftover 2014 VFRs for cheap, or maybe a lightly used one ready for some suspension mods. Unless I buy a motorcycle shack for the backyard and keep the K12S and then stick the FZ09,Tuono, Street Triple R, and/or Ninja 300 in it muahahahahaha.

• Member Contributer

They should have announced its arrival to the US sooner. I just bought some shiny new toys for the K12S around the time we were all debating about whether or not the VFR would come to the US in 2014. I might have held off had I known. As it stands, I will probably stretch another 15K miles out of the current ride: just in time for the next valve check and Ohlins refresh. That will put me in line for a new bike in the Spring of 2016, when there should be some leftover 2014 VFRs for cheap, or maybe a lightly used one ready for some suspension mods. Unless I buy a motorcycle shack for the backyard and keep the K12S and then stick the FZ09,Tuono, Street Triple R, and/or Ninja 300 in it muahahahahaha.

Sounds like a good plan ...

• Member Contributer

KEB

3. Time to slow down

6. Time for a Veefalo

Everything is slower than the Interceptor so the 1200 is technically slowing down. And I still think Dave would kill the Ninja 300s but it would be awesome to drive him crazy if we all showed up on em. 800 stays.

I have been trying to work a deal on the VFR1200 and they have rejected my first offer so I know they have common sense.

KEB

Archived