New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So I just got back from the Seattle M/C show (Friday). I was one of the first at the gate and made a beeline to Honda pavilion (well, sort of - I got sidetracked at the Ducati display by their well, eeehm - "talent"). The Honda reps were all milling around trading lies when finally one of them looked at me and said "can I help you?" I replied "only if you have the new VFR here". There was a silence when the district rep spoke up and said "it's not in the U.S. yet". I replied "WHAT - are you kidding me?" Nope. According to him, they're not on US soil yet and no ETA on when that might be. I still can't decide if Honda truly keeps these guys in the dark of if they're just holding back. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the latter . . . :ph34r: Honestly this seems like a case of "Ready, Fire, Aim" on Honda's part. Why would they delay the introduction in to the US market so as to miss the winter M/C circuit? They should have at least had one on hand for display purposes. If they keep going like this, they'll get it here about October so they can get them on dealer's floors just in time for winter and they can get to discounting them right away. :wacko:

So I changed the topic on him and asked him if he's seen this thread. No. Then I went on to mention that he should check it out, as it has nearly 100,000 hits since it was first posted when the EICMA announcement was made. "Really? Wow - that's a lot!" I was thinking "don't you guys look at these websites???" Apparently not. Then I went on to ask him if Honda takes any feedback from shows about what buyers want. "Absolutely" (more lies, probably). Great - I figured I couldn't make the list too long as I'm not sure how much mental RAM he was packing - but here was what I gave him. "Start with the new model and give it fully adjustable suspension front and rear, a 90 degree V, 1 full liter displacement, lose the VTEC and . . . (emphasis added) Gear Driven Cams. Got it? If you build that bike in this formula, chain final drive, similar styling, I will buy one." Whether that does any good, I don't know - but I did at least get my $.02 in as directly as I can with the mother ship. I did mention the steps they have taken that are positive, such as the bag mount system that does away with the external roll cage, so I wasn't totally bashing the new bike

Another bit of intel is that he said that the parts fiche will not be made available on line until the bikes are released to the dealers. I mentioned that as soon as that happens, the parts swapping shall begin!

Lastly I asked him if they have officially put a bullet in the 1200 as they did not have one on hand (I think he said it's in the brochure still). They all took their turn saying that they didn't have any direct intel on that, but certainly looked like that's the way it's going - they'll clear out remaining inventory and that will be the end of its run. So no VFRs whatsoever at the show. :sad2: I did get in to a discussion at the Arai display with the rep. I bought my Signet Q in a color called "Diamond White", which is just a metallic white. His face lit up and he replied "Arai did that to match the 2006 VFR color". I had no idea. That got us in to a whole discussion of all the VFR's he's owned, his favorite being a '93 which he sold to a kid that promptly wrecked it (wishes he still had it).

Overall, the show seemed smaller than I recall past shows being, but maybe that's like remembering everything being bigger when I was a kid. At the entrance Progressive had some girls handing out bags with a giant "Flo" photo on them . . . I have to wonder if Progressive really thinks most riders want their image to be of flaunting a big "Flo" photo to their fellow riders. If someone had been with me I would have turned to them and said "if you see me carrying one of those around, promise me you'll just shoot me and put me out of your misery!"

That is all.

I gave my input to the rep at the Charlotte MC show last year (that show was not on the tour this year, to my disappointment). It was almost identically the same (gear driven cams, no VTEC, fully adjustable and modern suspension). Someone may be listening, but I don't think anyone is taking notes or applying them to the future designs. They had no idea that our site existed.

FWIW, I also was distracted by the Ducati "display."

• Member Contributer

I want to like it, I really do but...

It's looks are growing on me and its got some good features.

The VFR used to be a technological leader, but the engine is the same, the frame is the same, VTEC is is something no one wants or needs, we all want GDC's back.

Is the suspension good enough?

I can't help but feel Honda have missed the mark here. Perhaps this is the bike we should have got in 2002?

Or at least for the 2006 upgrade.

So what we need is a worldwide campaign to lobby Honda for a VFR with adjustable suspension, no VTEC, GDC, and more hp.

Perhaps a Bookface campaign??

Well I don't think more hp or 1000 cc is on the table as that would make the blade redundant and Honda will not take that. So it needs to be a sport tourer just with GDC and proper suspenders. Maybe a performance kit for those wanting more go.

No point lobbying dealers. Honda don't listen to them.

I want to like it, I really do but...

It's looks are growing on me and its got some good features.

The VFR used to be a technological leader, but the engine is the same, the frame is the same, VTEC is is something no one wants or needs, we all want GDC's back.

Is the suspension good enough?

I can't help but feel Honda have missed the mark here. Perhaps this is the bike we should have got in 2002?

Or at least for the 2006 upgrade.

What 2006 upgrade? The new colours?? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Show me the Bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95% sure they are the same as the 1200.

I am the other 5 % bunch . Probably wrong tho .

So I just got back from the Seattle M/C show (Friday). I was one of the first at the gate and made a beeline to Honda pavilion (well, sort of - I got sidetracked at the Ducati display by their well, eeehm - "talent"). The Honda reps were all milling around trading lies when finally one of them looked at me and said "can I help you?" I replied "only if you have the new VFR here". There was a silence when the district rep spoke up and said "it's not in the U.S. yet". I replied "WHAT - are you kidding me?" Nope. According to him, they're not on US soil yet and no ETA on when that might be. I still can't decide if Honda truly keeps these guys in the dark of if they're just holding back. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the latter . . . :ph34r: Honestly this seems like a case of "Ready, Fire, Aim" on Honda's part. Why would they delay the introduction in to the US market so as to miss the winter M/C circuit? They should have at least had one on hand for display purposes. If they keep going like this, they'll get it here about October so they can get them on dealer's floors just in time for winter and they can get to discounting them right away. :wacko:

So I changed the topic on him and asked him if he's seen this thread. No. Then I went on to mention that he should check it out, as it has nearly 100,000 hits since it was first posted when the EICMA announcement was made. "Really? Wow - that's a lot!" I was thinking "don't you guys look at these websites???" Apparently not. Then I went on to ask him if Honda takes any feedback from shows about what buyers want. "Absolutely" (more lies, probably). Great - I figured I couldn't make the list too long as I'm not sure how much mental RAM he was packing - but here was what I gave him. "Start with the new model and give it fully adjustable suspension front and rear, a 90 degree V, 1 full liter displacement, lose the VTEC and . . . (emphasis added) Gear Driven Cams. Got it? If you build that bike in this formula, chain final drive, similar styling, I will buy one." Whether that does any good, I don't know - but I did at least get my $.02 in as directly as I can with the mother ship. I did mention the steps they have taken that are positive, such as the bag mount system that does away with the external roll cage, so I wasn't totally bashing the new bike

Another bit of intel is that he said that the parts fiche will not be made available on line until the bikes are released to the dealers. I mentioned that as soon as that happens, the parts swapping shall begin!

Lastly I asked him if they have officially put a bullet in the 1200 as they did not have one on hand (I think he said it's in the brochure still). They all took their turn saying that they didn't have any direct intel on that, but certainly looked like that's the way it's going - they'll clear out remaining inventory and that will be the end of its run. So no VFRs whatsoever at the show. :sad2: I did get in to a discussion at the Arai display with the rep. I bought my Signet Q in a color called "Diamond White", which is just a metallic white. His face lit up and he replied "Arai did that to match the 2006 VFR color". I had no idea. That got us in to a whole discussion of all the VFR's he's owned, his favorite being a '93 which he sold to a kid that promptly wrecked it (wishes he still had it).

Overall, the show seemed smaller than I recall past shows being, but maybe that's like remembering everything being bigger when I was a kid. At the entrance Progressive had some girls handing out bags with a giant "Flo" photo on them . . . I have to wonder if Progressive really thinks most riders want their image to be of flaunting a big "Flo" photo to their fellow riders. If someone had been with me I would have turned to them and said "if you see me carrying one of those around, promise me you'll just shoot me and put me out of your misery!"

That is all.

I gave my input to the rep at the Charlotte MC show last year (that show was not on the tour this year, to my disappointment). It was almost identically the same (gear driven cams, no VTEC, fully adjustable and modern suspension). Someone may be listening, but I don't think anyone is taking notes or applying them to the future designs. They had no idea that our site existed.

Was the new Yamaha there ?

• Member Contributer

What new Yamaha? FZ-09? Every dealer here in Knoxville has at least one and some have more. Run over to Honda Yamaha of Knoxville and test ride one, they have demos. I took one out last Monday, was a fun ride. Would spank my Tiger 800 in a drag race but the Triumph is 5 times more plush.

Back to the 14 VFR.

As much as I prefer the idea of a gear driven cam V4 I have to say the 6th Gen VTEC motor is still superior in most ways that count. Plus it is just as durable and reliable in spite of the CCTs that will wear out. And the 6th gen suspension and frame are much more robust and refined. I for onr am glad they didn't take a step backward with the 14 model.

You happy now Dave?

• Member Contributer

That's the year that the lowered the VTEC transition and ever so slightly beefed up the wiring.

I can't wait for the parts to become available. I need that radiator and subframe ASAP.
And the front forks
That's the year that the lowered the VTEC transition and ever so slightly beefed up the wiring.
Actually they lowered the VTEC actuator rpm and made the deactivating rpm even lower creating dieresis: 6400 - 6100. When both entry and exit used to be at 6800 rpm.Honda claim they studied the VFR fan base when conceptualizing this version.Maybe they were referring to the radiator fan airflow issue.Arf Arf!

• Member Contributer

Ducati displays are always "interesting..............."

0263e5f2.jpg

• Member Contributer

0263e5f2.jpg

Yea I Agree.....tough to make it to the Honda display right away.

My post is really in response to Timmy's Bags reply. I raise him a pair. The shot below is from the 2013 N. American Ducati Dealer show in San Diego. No bags at the show either.

med_gallery_2144_2760_398325.jpg

My Honda dealer says he has a new gen VFR on order with expected arrival in the May timeframe. Not sure about the bags???

• Member Contributer

Did this monster thread crash the home page? It's not loading as a current topic in the list.... Did Honda highjack ? :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

The Italians definitely know what their customers want...

Without a doubt. I was on a mission to get to the Honda display, when it was - uh, uhm . . . hmmmm . . . let's see, maybe I'll wander over here to the Ducati's for a bit. Now, what exactly was it I was looking for . . . ?? Oh yeah . . .

As for the home page, working fine here.

0263e5f2.jpg

Yea I Agree.....tough to make it to the Honda display right away.

My post is really in response to Timmy's Bags reply. I raise him a pair. The shot below is from the 2013 N. American Ducati Dealer show in San Diego. No bags at the show either.

My Honda dealer says he has a new gen VFR on order with expected arrival in the May timeframe. Not sure about the bags???

I wonder how a dealer would have more intel on arrival dates than Honda factory reps and regional sales managers. Either the dealer(s) or factory reps are full of it - just need to figure out which one. :dry:

• Member Contributer

-- I have to say the 6th Gen VTEC motor is still superior in most ways that count..

Oh, please, what BS. I'm not going into a 5th engine vs 6th engine. But superior? Nada

• Member Contributer

-- I have to say the 6th Gen VTEC motor is still superior in most ways that count..

Oh, please, what BS. I'm not going into a 5th engine vs 6th engine. But superior? Nada

Hey man it got post 970

• Member Contributer

Just wow, nice pic. What were we talking about?

I was comparing the red OEM factory bags that I found compared to the ones Timmy the Cop found....but let me think????? And post 973!

• Member Contributer

Just wow, nice pic. What were we talking about?

I was comparing the red OEM factory bags that I found compared to the ones Timmy the Cop found....but let me think????? And post 973!

See I was right they do wear red .......974

• Member Contributer

True True

I like them both ..

• Member Contributer

I wonder how much those Ducati bags cost. I would love to mount a pair of those on my bike. :goofy:

Btw, is anyone having problems with quoting another poster? The pictures of the "bags" did not show up on this post.

• Member Contributer

I wonder how much those Ducati bags cost. I would love to mount a pair of those on my bike. :goofy:

Btw, is anyone having problems with quoting another poster? The pictures of the "bags" did not show up on this post.

Try "Compatibility Settings View" in your Tools Menu if using Internet Explorer?

• Member Contributer

Let me check...

Nope, no problems... :goofy:

Archived