I am going to shut down vfrd soon

• Member Contributer

My scary red https in red crossed out letters is gone!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 6/9/2023 at 4:42 PM, thtanner said:

Nothing has changed as of yet; the certificate is still expired. Some browsers will ignore it after a certain period of time (still will show Not Secure in the address bar) and load the site without prompting. 

I'm currently in a holding pattern waiting for contact back. 

I know you haven't been contacted yet, but If you think I can help contribute, please let me know. I'm not a web wizard but can help somewhere I'm sure. I would love to keep this site going as well. It's been on my mind but I have been working 12 hour days (5:30A to 5:30P, M-F) the past two weeks and just kept slipping my mind when I get home. This are coming back to normal so I should be more available soon.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Yep, i have https the top of my screen. :beer:

Perhaps a global email to all members telling them we're back running again. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Skids said:

And the padlock

• Member Contributer

Miguel,

You have been very quiet since your first announcement about closing VFRD, but if you have been reading all the posts you should feel very proud that you created a site that so many people feel is a treasure trove of information AND camaraderie. Please don't let it go!

This is truly the best VFR forum! In fact, the best and friendliest forum that I belong to!

Ross

• Like 5

• Forum CEO
12 hours ago, Skids said:

If I was a glutton for verbal abuse I would. Last time I sent out emails I had a huge number of returns with nasty grams telling me not to email them again. 

• Sad 2

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, HispanicSlammer said:

I replaced the expired ssl certificate, and renewed the software licence. Looks as if the current system will not need to be completely upgraded as I thought. Which triggered me in the first place. That is a couple day affair and a hugh pain in the ass, Linux always has something extra you have to do to get what used to work to work again when you upgrade. 

The problem is I just don't have the time I used to for this. I got about 100 or so messages I have yet to wade thru. But my weekend is almost over. It's been raining relentlessly so I can't even go for a ride on my new bike. 

I am a bit confused as to my resolve, my feeling is I don't want to give up my baby, but I just don't have the time I to put into it this place deserves. 

I had a few offers to take over..but I..I don't know these folks. Bottom line. 

Glad the site is back in action!

My offer still stands as I don't mind the long term work and fiscal investment. I have ridden with many members here and am no stranger. Don't hesitate to reach out to discuss if you begin to consider to shut it down again as I'd love to indefinitely ensure that doesn't happen. 

13 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

I know you haven't been contacted yet, but If you think I can help contribute, please let me know. I'm not a web wizard but can help somewhere I'm sure. I would love to keep this site going as well. It's been on my mind but I have been working 12 hour days (5:30A to 5:30P, M-F) the past two weeks and just kept slipping my mind when I get home. This are coming back to normal so I should be more available soon.

Luckily I think we are sorted for now. *cheer*

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, HispanicSlammer said:

If I was a glutton for verbal abuse I would. Last time I sent out emails I had a huge number of returns with nasty grams telling me not to email them again. 

Bugger. 

Sorry m8, clearly we don't know half of the issues you've had to put up with. 

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, HispanicSlammer said:

I replaced the expired ssl certificate, and renewed the software licence. Looks as if the current system will not need to be completely upgraded as I thought. Which triggered me in the first place. That is a couple day affair and a hugh pain in the ass, Linux always has something extra you have to do to get what used to work to work again when you upgrade. 

The problem is I just don't have the time I used to for this. I got about 100 or so messages I have yet to wade thru. But my weekend is almost over. It's been raining relentlessly so I can't even go for a ride on my new bike. 

I am a bit confused as to my resolve, my feeling is I don't want to give up my baby, but I just don't have the time I to put into it this place deserves. 

I had a few offers to take over..but I..I don't know these folks. Bottom line. 

You could always delegate some tasks to capable people around here instead of giving anything up completely. There are definitely other options to get some of the work off of your plate. This place is an information source for more than just people who sign up, for sure. 

• Member Contributer

Gods, I'm glad we're back. The F-book site isn't very useful and the alternate forum is helpful, but seems to contain a large number of folks who spend their day looking for things to take offense to. Phew...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, bmart said:

Gods, I'm glad we're back. The F-book site isn't very useful and the alternate forum is helpful, but seems to contain a large number of folks who spend their day looking for things to take offense to. Phew...

I'll echo that set of thoughts exactly.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Presson said:

I'll echo that set of thoughts exactly.

Same here! Thank you , thank you,  thank you! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Thank you Miguel!!!! So happy this site will continue to be a resource and gathering place us like minded VFR-loving folks

• Like 3

Thanks for all your work over the years.

I've learned a lot, made some great friends, short-term acquaintances for a beer and a chat, and travelled to places I otherwise hadn't been. This site has been a tremendous social outlet and source of knowledge and wisdom.

I totally understand. When it's time, it's time...

But I'll continue to enjoy and support the site while you keep it going.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Many Thanks for having a rethink and keeping this site up and running. As VFR resources go, this is, and has been, my go to site for reliable and trusted information for my bikes. It has also allowed me to meet and ride with some great like minded induviduals over the years. That's a hard act to follow, so again, Thank You!

I'll echo the past comments of others, let us know what we can do to assist you to ease the load and keep this place going.

• Like 2

Honestly the input and others experiences from this site helps ya look into places ya didn't think to look, or forgot about (these are vfrs after all) for some issues. Its rare ya gotta work on them, so ya forgot unless yer wrenchin on the daily. 🤣

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I LOVE THIS SITE and I am so very pleased to read that it's going to be around for a while longer. I'm not currently active on VFRD and I'm bikeless for the first time in 20+ years (wife, toddler, baby, dog, house, business) but knowing that VFRD is alive and well makes my heart happy. I've met several wonderful people via this forum, benefitted greatly from the technical information/advice etc, and I hope to utilize the site more again soon (I see an awesome 5th gen for sale south of chicago....). THANK YOU SO MUCH, HISPANICSLAMMER for your continued dedication and hard work.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I read about Miguel’s decision to close the site about 3 weeks ago and I couldn’t come back here to even write a thank you post. It seems like all the things I loved from the 90s (print motorcycle magazines) and early 2000s are being phased out and I really dislike that feeling.

I sold my VFR1200 back in 2017 when I purchased my KTM SA-S but I still came back to read posts every now and then. I could see the activity was significantly less than before, and I always chalked that up to the “emergence” of social media. However it’s also a result of Honda giving up on the V4 concept as well as Miguel stated in his post. 

I now understand that the site will be around longer (whew!) and other people have volunteered to help which makes me very happy. I hope this site lives on since I think it’s a lovely place with great people who love sharing their knowledge and experiences. Paypal is banned in Turkey (long and stupid story) but I’d be willing to try Patreon (I think that works) to donate to this site to help in any way I can.

Thank you so much Miguel for this incredibly long run and thank you all VFRD members!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe I've been on here since 2005.  Ended up meeting my good friend Tracy aka Trace here.  And a host of others. What a great experience this has been.  Miguel what a fantastic job you have done this entire time. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2023 at 3:40 AM, Captain 80s said:

Not in my world.  FUCK FB.

Noe mine! I totally agree on this Cap'n!  Here's my FB experience: When i actually managed to speak with someone at FB regarding my business page [a serious problem we were having], the 'lady' was very, very rude and abruptly HUNG UP! Not resolving the issue we had! A most horrid company! (i don't use it personally, but as a small business we somewhat had to at the time - now, much less so).

Hi Miguel and everyone!

I only joined a couple of years ago, then had personal issues to sort, so never came on as much as i wanted to. Again, now back on, was saddened to read the post, but pleased the site is up and running again.

I also repeat the post to Miguel - As many others have said. Thank you so much for just everything you have done.  I know perfectly what you mean about age, riding and difficult circumstances; feeling it myself but we all must keep going. There's that old saying 'you never fail, until you give up', so i might be older (and thought of giving up riding....but you know what?....I just ain't gonna stop!

As i read earlier about one 'friend on here' he said he has 2 viffers which will probably outlast him!! And that made me smile 🙂 

Being busy i don't come on here much, but am sure, like many other have said, a small contribution from everyone might help 'someone' to keep this going. Are donations still being given/taken? What's the future here do we think?...

I fully understand Miguel's comment 'he doesn't know some of us personally' in order to simply hand the baby over...

• 3 months later...

Late to the party and just now reading the entire shut down drama and glad to see it is resolved, for now, seems like. 

Miguel, we’ve never met but please know you have done an absolutely tremendous job starting this site and nurturing it. No one would ever deny how well you have done unintentionally becoming a sort of “global moto-matchmaker” for all of us. Sure, it’s bike info but it’s so much more than that. I appreciate the clearinghouse for info to allow me to work on my two 1st gens, my 4th gen, and my color-matched anniversary 6th gen in my garage but to be honest, a dealer could do all of that. I've finally reached the point where I can pay for that.

Much more importantly to me is the people I’ve met here, both just in the forums as well as in actual real life on rides. 

That part is priceless and is worth so much more than the info to me. A younger me would fight back on that point but the current me with 50 consecutive years as a motorcyclist in a dozen US states so far knows it as truth. Bikes and esp the VFRs are cool but they come and go for many of us. The stuff that remains between bikes and when we are bike-less and when we move on with new bikes and brands, THAT’S the stuff I come here for. 

I know you mentioned all is well for now bc..well..as admirable as the numerous offers to help run the site seem you said you simply don’t KNOW the folks offering to help you run it or possibly take over the reins. I get it. But I’d say this: in the end it’s just a website. Others can run it if needed by you. It’s not a kid or a spouse or a pet. It could surely continue right along A-OK in other hands. I suppose I’m saying…don’t sweat it if you have to pass it along. You certainly have done your part. The legacy, to me, is the initial work and how awesome it has become under your care. All things to be immensely proud of. If it’s drama you don’t need, then we understand and it’ll be fine. 

If anything changes in the future as far as the site running/upkeep/certs/fees etc and/or your thoughts on any of it, be sure to let us know. We all have a vested interest in the site, but more so in you. You’ve earned it, Mijo. 

• Like 5