Motogp 2015 Season . . . Five Manufacturers! W/spoilers

choco

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I think the issue was that everyone was saying VR forced MM off the track then kicked him off. That's what got the VR fans worked up.

He's culpable without doubt, but not for the above.

MM escapes with no sanction though? I don't get that.

JL passes under a waved yellow and gets no sanction? I don't get that either.

You can kinda see why VR fans are so upset.

And it's pretty much ruined the last race too. Valencia has always been a great track for JL, it's his home circuit and his biggest rival now starts from the back of the grid. It'll be a damp squib end to what had been a great season so far.

JL is a tosser!

Something no-one's mentioned is that from Rossi's rant before the race about Marc Marc Marc (Marc) Marquez, he's obviously feeling very frustrated about his hopes of getting a 10th world title slipping away. Despite both Marc Marc Marc (Marc) Marquez and Lorenzo on fire this season (and the rebuilt Pedrosa!), he could see he was very close to getting the title, but for Marc Marc Marc (Marc) Marquez being on his case all the time. I think that he knows if he doesn't win it this season, it's unlikely to happen.

But... apart from all that, his rant to the cameras before the race about Marc Marc Marc (Marc) Marquez setting out to ruin things for him was very ugly, (and VERY uncharacteristic of someone who's normally very positive and light!), as was the incident itself. I must admit that despite being a Rossi fan since he started in the 125s, I've lost some respect for the man. I guess this behaviour is just a measure of the pressure he feels.

As for Lorenzo, his statements and attitude were very much 'sour grapes'. I suspect that he is envious of Rossi and the huge fandom he has, and his antics earlier in his career when he tried to "do a Rossi" with 'Lorenzo Land' and whatnot were an attempt to be as 'big' as Rossi.
All of this would be moot, if Rossi hadn't gone to Ducati; he'd have had 10 titles by now. I think maybe it was a misguided repeat of when he went from Honda to Yamaha to prove to the naysayers that it was him that won the races, not the bike.

Let's hope things are better from here on out.

Oh yeah; I forgot to say, "At least no-one crashed, died, burst into flames and died all over again." That would have REALLY sukt.

• Member Contributer

That is indeed, a very good article.

Thanks for the link.

• Member Contributer

MM qualified with a 1:59.4 so why was he running 2:02 laptimes only when in front of Rossi?

qvj55gm.jpg

Matches my notes below...

Why isn't anybody talking about what happened before the crash?

I guess I am one of the few that sides with Rossi. If you look at what race direction said then you can see that Marquez was in fact trying to deliberately slow the pace, just like Rossi accused him of doing at Philip Island.

"Despite what Marquez said, we think he was deliberately trying to affect the pace of Valentino." -MotoGP Race Director Mike Webb

"It's my opinion on the way he was riding, the lap time, my perception is that as many riders do he (Marquez) was trying to change the race." -MotoGP Race Director Mike Webb

On top of that I personally think Marquez was deliberately trying to create contact scenarios. Of course Rossi didn't want to crash because he had a championship at stake.

In regards to the incident, I believe Rossi obviously had the line and did in fact choose to run Marquez wide and slow him down enough to try to get away from him. I believe his three looks towards Marquez was to make sure he avoided contact while trying to run him wide while at the same time saying "stop doing what you are doing". At that point I believe Marquez CLEARLY ACCELERATED AND LEANED INTO ROSSI (see clip below) setting up contact for sure this time, trying to make him crash, but caused his own crash (Marquez helmet to Rossi's knee and Rossi's knee reaction).

WATCH THIS CLIP! Pay attention to the :17 second mark.

I am sure Rossi regrets running him wide.

Not sure Marquez regrets his part in it.

Australian GP race notes:

3 laps to go: marquez in 2nd with rossi in 3rd ; notably marquez is not making attempts to catch lorenzo at the front or even bridge the gap....

2 laps to go: rossi passes marquez and iannoni passes both (rossi 3rd, marquez 4th)

marquez passes rossi

1 lap to go: marquez passes iannoni

half lap to go: rossi passes iannoni

iannoni passess rossi

a few corners left: marques bridges the gap and passes lorenzo

last lap of australian gp was the fastest lap of the race for marquez

immediately after the finish line, Marquez looks at Rossi who gestures back like WTF was that with 3 laps to go if you could pass them all so easily.

Marquez and Lorenzo are laughing after the race in the winner's circle - wouldn't you think Lorenzo would be upset he was so easily passed?

If Marquez is that fast, why did he wait to pass all 3 riders in the last lap?

Malaysian GP race notes:

Marquez and Pedrosa lead the race initially

Rossi in 3rd

Marquez makes no attempt to pass Pedrosa

Lorenzo passes Rossi in a block pass

Marquez makes no attempt to pass Pedrosa and continues giving him space.

Marquez runs wide in an unusual move and Lorenzo passes.

Marquez falls back and does not attempt to pass Lorenzo (falls a half second back), continues to run wide in several corners, announcers report issues with "front end grip" and a "full tank" of gas for Marquez.

Rossi passes Marquez and the announcers comment "When was the last time we saw Marquez going backwards in a race?" Suddenly Marquez becomes incredibly more aggressive. Power sliding the rear on the gas and backing it in hot to get in front of Rossi. Marquez is all over Rossi, suddenly no longer "falling back."

Marquez is taking defensive lines and running wide in nearly every corner when he is in front of Rossi, but miraculously can hold a tighter line when needing to pass Rossi. Marquez also appears to not accelerate as much when he is in front of Rossi during sections of the track that are not passing zones, with Rossi nearly up his tailpipe. He passes Rossi, then slows down.

Rossi catches on to this nonsense and waves at Marquez as if to say lets catch the leaders. Marquez is riding on the limit, but not in an apparent attempt to catch the leaders, but only to screw with Rossi.

If DORNA wants to penalize anyone for slowing down or running wide, there will be a lot of penalties to hand out to Marquez for doing the same.

To those who claim Rossi slowed illegally to mess with Marquez - WHAT IS ROSSI's BENEFIT TO DO THIS? Rossi has everything to lose getting caught up in this nonsense, Marquez has nothing to lose (and every motivation to keep Rossi from yet another championship).

It seems more likely that Rossi intended to run wide OFF THE RACING LINE MIND YOU so Marquez could pass him on the inside, since he was tired of fooling around and didn't want to wreck. Why would Marquez follow him outside EVEN FURTHER OFF THE RACING LINE? To pass him off the course? He then clearly accelerates into Rossi's leg. I would move my leg, too, if someone is screwing with me then rides into me.

To those who think Rossi should have been accelerating rather than slowing down try this: while riding your bike prior to an upcoming hairpin going in hot on the brakes, turn around over your outside shoulder just before the turn-in point, then see how quickly you make the corner. My guess is you would be going slower, and running wide...

If I am biased in any way, I actually prefer to see Marquez, who is the better rider, win the race on the Repsol. Although it was fairly clear he was using his talent just to screw with Rossi for the last two races. Rossi knows this. If anything, Rossi deserves a freaking medal for dealing with this nonsense and Marquez should be suspended for the finale.

Or maybe the whole thing is all a show. MotoGP and DORNA have been losing out on a lot of money, and something needed to happen to spice it up. What better way than pitting Spaniards vs Italians, stirring the pot, and seeing what happens.

I admire Rossi even more now.

He showed that he too is only human.

That makes his achievements even more remarkable.

Amen.

• Member Contributer

If anyone else had done what Valentino did we would have been black flagged immediately, no questions asked.

3,222 retweets2,442 favorites

Retweet

Favorite

More

• Member Contributer

If anyone else had done what Valentino did we would have been black flagged immediately, no questions asked.

3,222 retweets2,442 favorites
Retweet
Favorite
More

Nobody else at that level would have had a faster guy buzzing around him like that. You have to look at Moto3 to find that kind of racing. :wink:

• Member Contributer

THE FULL STATEMENT FROM REPSOL

Dani Pedrosa achieved a great victory today in the Malaysian Grand Prix — a win that was unfortunately overshadowed by the unacceptable and unsportsmanlike conduct of Valentino Rossi against Repsol Honda Team rider, Marc Marquez. On the seventh lap of the race, with Marquez and Rossi immersed in a battle for third place that involved several overtaking moves between the two, the Italian — in an absolutely intentional action — dealt an unsportsmanlike kick to the Repsol Honda rider that knocked him to the ground. Although Marquez was fortunately able to escape unharmed from the attack, for Repsol the conduct of Rossi is absolutely unacceptable because it endangered — in a premeditated and unsportsmanlike manner — the safety of the Repsol Honda team rider. Repsol consider this an unsportsmanlike act incompatible with the values of sport and competition.

Repsol are deeply saddened that situations like that which occurred today in Sepang exist, especially as the company feel proud of sporting values: Companionship, competitive spirit and commitment from riders. Without these values, it would not make sense for Repsol to participate in the sport as a sponsor.

Repsol also call for a clear and strong regulation in the interest of the safety and physical integrity of the riders, which punishes behaviour like that seen today clearly and decisively.

The positive thing about this race was the great performance of Dani Pedrosa, who gradually pulled away from his rivals to score his second win of the season — following that achieved in Japan two weeks ago.

After this race, Marquez remains third in the overall standings with 222 points. Pedrosa moves up to fourth with 190 points. The World Championship will conclude in two weeks’ time, with the Valencia Grand Prix.

• Member Contributer

THE FULL STATEMENT FROM REPSOL

Dani Pedrosa achieved a great victory today in the Malaysian Grand Prix — a win that was unfortunately overshadowed by the unacceptable and unsportsmanlike conduct of Valentino Rossi against Repsol Honda Team rider, Marc Marquez. On the seventh lap of the race, with Marquez and Rossi immersed in a battle for third place that involved several overtaking moves between the two, the Italian — in an absolutely intentional action — dealt an unsportsmanlike kick to the Repsol Honda rider that knocked him to the ground. Although Marquez was fortunately able to escape unharmed from the attack, for Repsol the conduct of Rossi is absolutely unacceptable because it endangered — in a premeditated and unsportsmanlike manner — the safety of the Repsol Honda team rider. Repsol consider this an unsportsmanlike act incompatible with the values of sport and competition.

Repsol are deeply saddened that situations like that which occurred today in Sepang exist, especially as the company feel proud of sporting values: Companionship, competitive spirit and commitment from riders. Without these values, it would not make sense for Repsol to participate in the sport as a sponsor.

Repsol also call for a clear and strong regulation in the interest of the safety and physical integrity of the riders, which punishes behaviour like that seen today clearly and decisively.

The positive thing about this race was the great performance of Dani Pedrosa, who gradually pulled away from his rivals to score his second win of the season — following that achieved in Japan two weeks ago.

After this race, Marquez remains third in the overall standings with 222 points. Pedrosa moves up to fourth with 190 points. The World Championship will conclude in two weeks’ time, with the Valencia Grand Prix.

Repsol's statement brings to mind the "Better to remain silent..." quote.

To those who claim Rossi slowed illegally to mess with Marquez - WHAT IS ROSSI's BENEFIT TO DO THIS? .

Umm, pretty sure it was Rossi that claimed he slowed to mess with MM.

"I just want to make him lose time and go out of the line and slow down because also this time, a lot worse than in Australia, he make his dirty game no? When I go wide, wide, wide, I slow down, we almost stop and I look at him to say, “F**K, what the f**k are you doing?”

-Valentino Rossi

To those who claim Rossi slowed illegally to mess with Marquez - WHAT IS ROSSI's BENEFIT TO DO THIS? .

"I just want to make him lose time and go out of the line and slow down because also this time, a lot worse than in Australia, he make his dirty game no? When I go wide, wide, wide, I slow down, we almost stop and I look at him to say, “F**K, what the f**k are you doing?”

-Valentino Rossi

The carnaval is over... Rossi admitted to acting against racing regulations... that he intentionally ran wide and slowed down to get Márquez off his back. He claims he didn't want Marquez to fall but no-one can prove whether this is a lie. No.-one can prove that Marquez deliberately battled with Rossi to favor Lorenzo... Race Direction thinks he may have wanted to influence the race results... I reckon focusing on either Rossi's or Marquez' INTENTIONS is just distracting us from the demonstratable facts:

Rossi gains the inside line on turn 14 and slows up, lifts the bike up and lets it run wide out to where Marquez is (having gone deep into the corner from his last overtake), Rossi admits this so there is no conjecture, it's fact... all the while Rossi is looking over at Marquez, not once, but three long insistant looks... when he SHOULD be on the throttle, looking for the apex and exit... and running the racing line... yet he is off the throttle, lifting the bike up to vertical and drfiting way out wide to meet with Marquez while staring him down. This leads to contact and results in Marquez falling... this last fact, Marquez' fall, cannot be proven to be Rossi's intention but is clearly evident in the footage that Rossi's decision to run wide off the racing line leads to the end result of MM down (even if he had tried to claim he wasn't intentionally wide, the fact he stares at hime all the while makes it patently evident and Rossi knows that so he doesn't try to hide this fact)... in THE SAME WAY it cannot be proven that Marquez was deliberately trying to slow Rossi up (whenever two riders find themselves at a crossroads in both space and time during a race, in terms of performance, lap times worsen, for both of them)... and due to camera angles it cannot be proven whether Rossi kicked Marc's bike or not.

In order to accuse and sanction someone it is wise to apply assessment according to concepts similar to those existent in Civil Liability law:

Action/Omission: Rossi deliberately runs wide as admitted by him and evidenced by footage

Detriment/Damage: Marquez unable to finish the race (and potential of bodily harm)

Causal Nexus: If Rossi had not deliberately run wide Marquez would not have fallen (at that point in the race).

The rest is gossip and heresay. I'm reading so much hate in social media, it's incredible!! It's somehwere in between gossipy housewives and Yihad fanatacism.

• Member Contributer

-Valentino Rossi

At the time, yes, he was attempting to slow down Marquez to say what the f*ck are you doing. I meant, in the grand scheme of things he has no benefit to making a mess of the race.

The rest is gossip and heresay. I'm reading so much hate in social media, it's incredible!! It's somehwere in between gossipy housewives and Yihad fanatacism.

LOL. I thought about not commenting for that very reason. I don't read hardly any of the circus, just watch the races to appreciate incredible riding, then turn it off. Having not heard any of the pre-race nonsense (except for what was posted on Facebook in my feed), I was sucked in only because it seemed a bit different than what was being portrayed leading up to the final moment of the Marquez crash. I was also disappointed that the two weren't able to continue this duel for the remainder of the race, which was incredibly boring except for fueling of aggravation from the incident.

On the football field, we were always taught "the second guy gets caught." In other words, the first player can do small and annoying things to the second player throughout the game without penalty, but when the second player acts out and grabs the first player's facemask and throws the first player to the ground at the end of the game, this will result in a penalty. Lesson learned. Signing back off.

PS: I hope no one was offended by my analysis. Overall, I hate to see childish non-sense in racing (arguably by both riders). Love VFRD!

• Member Contributer
In order to accuse and sanction someone it is wise to apply assessment according to concepts similar to those existent in Civil Liability law:

Action/Omission: Rossi deliberately runs wide as admitted by him and evidenced by footage

Detriment/Damage: Marquez unable to finish the race (and potential of bodily harm)

Causal Nexus: If Rossi had not deliberately run wide Marquez would not have fallen (at that point in the race).

Nah, Rossi running wide did not cause Marc to crash. It preceded Marc's crash, but the crash was Marc's doing. The video evidence shows that Marc deliberately leaned into Rossi and crashed shortly after doing so.

And as others have pointed out, there is nothing against the race rules about running someone wide. Unsporting, perhaps, but then, so is deliberately messing up/interfering in someone else's championship...

The initial video replays (emphasising the "kick") suggested that Rossi had instigated and initiated the contact that caused Marc to crash. But subsequent video angles demonstrated that black-flagging Rossi during the race, as many have called for, would have been an injustice. It took time for the whole situation to become clear, so Race Direction did manage that aspect of this incident properly.

However, I think Rossi should still apologise to Marc, to Honda, to Yamaha, to DORNA, and to MotoGP fans worldwide for allowing himself to succumb to paranoia and silliness. An apology is necessary for him to remove the taint from any possible championship victory in Valencia. Which is still possible, depending on how strongly others race. And if it rains...

(Btw, I am a fan of both Rossi and Marquez. But definitely not of Lorenzo! And I think Dani deserves more respect than he gets--especially from Americans!)

Ciao,

Of course mm leans into Rossi, in fact he makes the gesture to lean in several times because he would be expecting Rossi to do the same; to lean INTO the corner, no-one would expect another rider to deviate SO FAR from the race line INTENTIONALLY and one can imagine the first instinctual reflexes are that your rival has gone a bit wide, like me, but will recover and continue with race as soon as he's got the bike under control... What?! Let's go... He's... No!! Forward... What the #&@#? Nanosecond... Forward...

The instinct and the rules and the paychecks demand you get back on race line and race.

Sorry to say but it IS against race rules to do what Rossi did intentionally and that's why he got the sanction.

You CANNOT intentionally deviate another rider from the race line and deliberately slow him down so drastically and obviously. It is extremely dangerous and unsportsmanlike in professional racing.

You can't even intentionally slow down to wait for your riding buddies at an amateur trackday... It's extremely dangerous as other riders are coming from behind at full throttle... Let alone obliging another rider to deviate to the edge of the track... Even if MM hadn't fallen, VR's action is sanctionable.

• Member Contributer

Of course mm leans into Rossi, in fact he makes the gesture to lean in several times because he would be expecting Rossi to do the same; to lean INTO the corner, no-one would expect another rider to deviate SO FAR from the race line INTENTIONALLY and one can imagine the first instinctual reflexes are that your rival has gone a bit wide, like me, but will recover and continue with race as soon as he's got the bike under control... What?! Let's go... He's... No!! Forward... What the #&@#? Nanosecond... Forward...

The instinct and the rules and the paychecks demand you get back on race line and race.

Sorry to say but it IS against race rules to do what Rossi did intentionally and that's why he got the sanction.

You CANNOT intentionally deviate another rider from the race line and deliberately slow him down so drastically and obviously. It is extremely dangerous and unsportsmanlike in professional racing.

You can't even intentionally slow down to wait for your riding buddies at an amateur trackday... It's extremely dangerous as other riders are coming from behind at full throttle... Let alone obliging another rider to deviate to the edge of the track... Even if MM hadn't fallen, VR's action is sanctionable.

+1 and the comments he made the day before the race .

• Member Contributer
however, I think Rossi should still apologise to Marc, to Honda, to Yamaha, to DORNA, and to MotoGP fans worldwide for allowing himself to succumb to paranoia and silliness. An apology is necessary for him to remove the taint from any possible championship victory in Valencia. Which is still possible, depending on how strongly others race. And if it rains...

No way. Marquez's actions were very deliberate. 007's long detailed response is pretty accurate. I've re-watched these few laps and Marquez was deliberate trying to get Rossi's front wheel to hit his rear and put him in the litter. There is hard passing and there is deliberate action to cause a fall. Marquez was way over the line and has been pulling his crap for multiple races on end. If anyone should apologize it should be MM for riding like an idiot. He could have got someone hurt or killed at Sepang.

Archived