Pr4S Are Here!

Africord

• Member Contributer

Just received my first e-ad today for Pilot Road 4s. Now, who will be the first to try them? I probably won't put a new one on until May for the MSTA STAR ride in June.

Standard, for all around sport touring use.

GT, which offers a stiffer casing for heavier bikes, riding two up with luggage, etc. These are going to be the standard issue tire for the BMW R1200 RT.

Trail, which is NOT an off-road tire, but a tire designed to be used on trail bikes that are ridden 100% on the road. The main difference in the trail version is the compounds are softer in the rear.

• Member Contributer

I'll give them a go when my PR3s are done. They only have 1800mi on them so it'll be end of season I'm sure.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I just put PP3/PR2 combo on in September last year so I'll have a while before I'm ready for a set. The PR4 rear looks like a combination of the PP3 (tread pattern) and PR3 (x-sipes).

My tires are shot. I was just going to throw on a set of trusty PR2s, but the PR4s look intriguing. Should I be looking at the PR4 GT for the vfr1200?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What about using the pilot road gt's for a 4th gen in that they don't make a PR 4 in a 170, whereas they do make the PR 4 gt in that size. My pilot road 3 rear is toast (couple of skids today on the Sunday Morning Ride) and I'll have to get something that'll work w/ the PR3 front. I only got about 3000 miles out of the rear,mmm , maybe I should go back to PP's I got @ least 2500 mi and they stuck much better than the PR3's

• Member Contributer

I only got about 3000 miles out of the rear,mmm , maybe I should go back to PP's I got @ least 2500 mi and they stuck much better than the PR3's

Wow wonder why the low mileage? I have 5k miles on my PR3s and they look fairly new. They have tons of life left in both front and back.

As far as stickyness, this was taken yesterday. I haven't had an issue!

GM_38458.jpg

Looking forward to getting PR4s when these finally wear out..

The PR4 do look tempting, I guess its a evolution of the PR3 that might not been as good as the PR2 in all areas. But locally the PR4 is very high in prize, actually you get a set of the first gen PR for same money as a PR4 rear! So for me the first gen PR is more tempting as budget is low and the bike is on the sale list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Any other feedback on the PR4? I'm looking for a new set but read the PR4 rear is 20% hard/40-40% medium compound, where the PR3 was 80% medium/10-10% soft. Front compound distribution appears unchanged.

• Member Contributer

Michelin improved the front tire a bit over the PR3. Some riders complained that the PR3 front was "squishy" in the corners. Michelin also beveled the edges of the siping on the front tire. You have to look really close to see it. Overall the tire stops a bit shorter in the wet and dry over the PR3. For the minimal price difference, I would go with the PR4. Michelin is keeping the PR3 around for awhile since they have sizes that fit some of the older ST bikes.

If you have a VFR 1200, the PR4 GT is the tire to get. For the 5th and 6th gens, the regular PR4 should be fine even if you are carrying a passenger and loading the bike down.

• Member Contributer

Just finished off a rear PR4. It yielded 6000 of great times (1000 more than previous PR3). It had very little cupping and much more side tread at the end than the PR3 (i.e. controllable all the way to end of life). The front will probably last till 6500.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

A question for those who have used Pilot Power 3: do the PR4 have a similar feel to the PP3?

Michelin have been my favourite tires since 2000. The Pilot Sport + Pilot Power feel better, to me, than the equivalent Bridgestone/Dunlop/Pirelli.

PR4's on the 03 Tuono and the VFR now.

Too new to talk about mileage, but they work good on both bikes.

Don't ask me about in the wet though. :rolleyes:

Motorcycle super store, is showing the road 2 as a close out item, this doesn't bode well and may have to try the road 3 or 4, but I haven't researched exactly what the intent of the road 4 is.

I just received a close out road 2

Archived