Tyga Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

thanks.  I thought I rememberd his was a Two Brothers system.  At least I wasn't dreaming...  Was it just wishful thinking that he had realized impressive HP gains with that system?  From what I've read in this forum the stock diameter headers won't improve HP.  

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, interceptor69 said:

thanks.  I thought I rememberd his was a Two Brothers system.  At least I wasn't dreaming...  Was it just wishful thinking that he had realized impressive HP gains with that system?  From what I've read in this forum the stock diameter headers won't improve HP.  

Fellow member CandyRedRC46 can fill you there, he has some good intel on the header systems. If he doesn't chime in soon and if you're bored, this thread might even have all of the info for you!

• Member Contributer

TBR's VFR systems were more cosmetic than performance.  Very few VFRs were raced (!), so there was no need to spend much R&D time developing performance exhausts for them...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Denny Fair had the full TBR...with proper PC tuning and dyno time his made 109 where as he was 100/101 before on same dyno.

Matt

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, zupatun said:

Denny Fair had the full TBR...with proper PC tuning and dyno time his made 109 where as he was 100/101 before on same dyno.

Was that a comparison between "proper PC tuning and dyno time" on the stock exhaust and "proper PC tuning and dyno time" on the TBR full system?  People usually compare the stock exhaust/stock tuning with new, aftermarket exhaust and several hours of dyno tuning--apples vs oranges, in other words.  A proper comparison would require spending the time tuning the stock exhaust, first, but nobody does that because it is a waste of money if you're already going to fit a full exhaust.  And how much of the increased performance would have been due to the less-restrictive aftermarket end can, or to the free-flowing air filter? 

Moreover, even doing a proper comparison as mentioned above only tells you that the stock exhaust was unnecessarily restrictive--it tells you nothing about what a well-designed, fully tuned full exhaust would have produced.  TBR once admitted that their NC30 full system was simply a replication of the stock design in thin-wall stainless--my suspicion is that they (and, indeed, most other "high performance" exhaust manufacturers) did the same with their other VFR exhaust designs, simply to satisfy consumer demand.  Without racing to truly push the envelope, there was no need to do anything else.

Ciao,

19 hours ago, gig said:

My dyno with full system TBR and custom PC map is 108.5 

In my notes. My bone stock '07  It only made 92 HP and 51 lbs of torque. Then I found the the problem. Mouse nest, 3 dead mice. Then it made 107 HP and  55 lbs of torque after cleaning the air filter.  Click on the last picture for the video.

DSCN0322.jpg

th_DynoRun10-7-08Gearsrear.mp4

Factory catted headers have an inner diameter of around 30mm. 1998/1999 catless headers and other catless ebay headers like the motad/delkivic etc all have inner diameters of around 32mm. Two brothers racing and Erion racing headers have inner diameters of around 35mm. Other variances worth noting between the various headers are secondary and collector diameters, merge angles and merge internals, weld quality etc...The Delkivic systems have awful merges and the motad systems have merges packed full of sound absorbing chicken wire. I think all the non-race headers either have cats or some means of sound absorbing within the collectors/merges.

After years of bolt ons, drag nights, tuning etc, the best run with BMC air filter, PC3 and dyno tune, motad header, two brothers slip on, sprocket kit, all the pair/flapper/snorkel/evap can etc, lithium battery, deleted mirrors/pegs/handles, lowering straps, GP shift/quick shifter and other stuff was around 10.99 at 120. Following adding the Two brothers header my times improved to around 10.8 at 128 (that was without tuning and not in winter. After tuning and on a winter night, I am hoping for 10.7s in the 130s).

There is no doubt in my mind that a proper racing header adds a significant amount of mid-range and top end to these bikes. Unfortunately, I have auto-tuning with Rapid bike, so i have no dyno sheets, but if anyone wants to come to orlando with a non race header vfr, we can do some back to back dyno pulls, for comparisons.

• Member Contributer

Back in the day dyno runs & my own modern day run with the TBR added 8hp, just changing the headers & adjusting the fueling to suit took mine from 112hp to 120hp on a well respected dyno.

If TYGA only copy the TBR they have been sent, but perform their usual magic on the merges with their very high quality craftsman ship they should be equal to or probably better than the TBR they are based on.  Just have a look at their site at the VFR400 & the NR750 systems they already make, they are works of art !

YMMV

One can at this time hope and pray it all pans out with TYGA. My last try to have one made failed,  due in part I'm 8 months too late,  the gentleman has moved on. first off looks at what he had made told me  I had landed the Holy grail there for a minute or two. all I'd like is another 8hp,  that ain't asking to much is it :)

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Back in the day dyno runs & my own modern day run with the TBR added 8hp, just changing the headers & adjusting the fueling to suit took mine from 112hp to 120hp on a well respected dyno.

If TYGA only copy the TBR they have been sent, but perform their usual magic on the merges with their very high quality craftsman ship they should be equal to or probably better than the TBR they are based on.  Just have a look at their site at the VFR400 & the NR750 systems they already make, they are works of art !

YMMV

Have they -TBR - been sent?

• Member Contributer

I believe it was arranged to send a TBR & a 98/99 set. I think they have been sent but no confirmation yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/23/2016 at 5:58 AM, JZH said:

Was that a comparison between "proper PC tuning and dyno time" on the stock exhaust and "proper PC tuning and dyno time" on the TBR full system? 

Ciao,

I will ask Denny. I assume they put the bike bone stock on the dyno, then swapped out headrest, exhaust, added pcii etc...I remember seeing white a bit of dyno runs as they wor ked on the map...and the first and last dyno runs as well.  But, memory is a funny thing. ..will ask.

• Member Contributer

This has got to get rolling fairly soon ... I am going for major teardown #2 on my '98 and the header swap would fit in nicely for the winter work... I am afeard that I may end up passing on this if it dont make it by spring..... 

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, mello dude said:

This has got to get rolling fairly soon ... I am going for major teardown #2 on my '98 and the header swap would fit in nicely for the winter work... I am afeard that I may end up passing on this if it dont make it by spring..... 

There's always Black Widow Headers, I hear they unleash all that factory power! 

• Member Contributer
Just now, Duc2V4 said:

All that factory power - whoo hoo! lol....:beer:

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Dear Lord, don't start!  lol

• 2 weeks later...

Awe Ha,    a bit of news,  But first,  anyone here have CCs phone number?  or has direct contact on a normal bases?  I've emailed him using the email I have, but haven't heard back, nor the PMs sent from here. From that I heard back from TYGA. it's still on the shelve to do, But?   Yea there's a but. Apparently from the conversation I had with TYGA they asked for Photos of the headers he was ready to ship. Matt nor Paul at TYGA  have received them. At last contact I had given CC the information to be able to get what he has shipped off and let CC and TYGA work out the details.  But guess they wanted proof they where the right header (s) this time,  before shipping them,  that being said I can only assume the last set wasn't what they where looking for? Odd.  Any way wanted to throw this out just in case.

PS of sorts, FWIW,  I've started the process to get a one of header made by a skilled and knowledgeable exhaust craftsman locally, we've talked it up, he's on board,  we've discussed  specs and design since this TYGA build wasn't looking to be going where it was intended.  Gabe the gentleman that's doing this asked about if there where more folks interested.  I filled him in on the interests here, but really didn't have an exact feeling. So not to run this TYGA off the track for you guys, as it could be a good thing? gods know we've waited patiently,    but again me being sort like impatient,  I'm running with it,  if anyone else could be interested drop me a pm, or maybe I should start a new thread? IDK other than I know what I want,  not sure whats best for the masses if..  Gabe and I have talked about it being only 4 months out. 

Archived