K&N Oil Filter Failure

lazyeye

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wow, just put one on the race bike. After I got home I was looking for more track days, and found a website (all east coast tracks) and they said they would not let you on the track with a K&N filter, as they have had several on-track failures. I guess I will remove it and put a stock Zuki one on......glad nothing bad happened!

On 6/17/2016 at 8:41 AM, V4 Rosso said:

On the K&N website it does mention that the nut can be used for both installation and removal.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-204

There is a user rating right there on the site. Anyone who has personally had a problem should rate the filter on their site! So far they are all five stars. Or, maybe others did rate them, and the low ratings were removed. Here's to conspiracy theories.

On June 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM, fink said:

This is on their website as i type this (bold and underscore added for emphasis)

K&N powersports oil filters contain a modern synthetic filter media, designed for ultimate flow with less pressure drop, yet engineered for outstanding filtration. K&N powersports 'spin-on' oil filters feature a heavy-duty metal can. Most of these have a 17 mm nut affixed onto the end that allows for easy installation and removal. The 17 mm nut is crossed-drilled so racers can safety wire the filter to their bike.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Shinigami said:

This is on their website as i type this (bold and underscore added for emphasis)

K&N powersports oil filters contain a modern synthetic filter media, designed for ultimate flow with less pressure drop, yet engineered for outstanding filtration. K&N powersports 'spin-on' oil filters feature a heavy-duty metal can. Most of these have a 17 mm nut affixed onto the end that allows for easy installation and removal. The 17 mm nut is crossed-drilled so racers can safety wire the filter to their bike.

Hmmm......Key word:  "safely".  

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Shinigami said:

I realise what you are trying to say. 

Did you read the 3 links I put up?   

Not it one of them states what you have highlighted in bold.

Reason being because they are from the UK website.    May I suggest that you have a look at them a bit closer and you will see where I am coming from.  

You have quoted from the American website and it is only on that page it mentions what you have copied in bold. Follow the rest of the filter links and see if it is repeated.  You will also see that they are called wrench off filters on the other pages. US site.  :wink:

• Member Contributer

Hi Fink.

The second link you posted states "17mm Hex Nut Allows Easy-On, Easy Wrench-Off*". Guess without reading the fine print it would be extremely logical that you could both tighten and remove the filter via the hex nut and wrench. I've never used one BUT the packing should state something like WARNING - Hex nut is for REMOVAL only 

• Member Contributer

For oil filters, this old saying rings true as welL

"been messing up my day, spoiled all my plans.

So I say to myself: I Can Still Use My Hands"

YMMV

:-)

13 hours ago, fink said:

I realise what you are trying to say. 

Did you read the 3 links I put up?   

Not it one of them states what you have highlighted in bold.

You have quoted from the American website and it is only on that page it mentions what you have copied in bold. Follow the rest of the filter links and see if it is repeated.  You will also see that they are called wrench off filters on the other pages. US site.  :wink:

9 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Fink.

The second link you posted states "17mm Hex Nut Allows Easy-On, Easy Wrench-Off*". Guess without reading the fine print it would be extremely logical that you could both tighten and remove the filter via the hex nut and wrench. I've never used one BUT the packing should state something like WARNING - Hex nut is for REMOVAL only 

res ipsa loquitur, fink.  

• Member Contributer

VFRD is a very odd place to hear Latin quoted, much less Latin associated with common law jurisprudence.  Has this phrase somehow entered common usage?  :wink:

Cheers,

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, JZH said:

VFRD is a very odd place to hear Latin quoted, much less Latin associated with common law jurisprudence.  Has this phrase somehow entered common usage?  :wink:

Cheers,

Ipso facto it has...?

Why even bother justifying their existence. Plenty of other good filters to choose from. I used ONE years ago, without a problem, but after reading horror stories, I quickly switched. I have used their air filters for years, so I was drawn by the name, not the product. 

On 7/14/2016 at 1:50 PM, fatshoutybloke said:

quod erat demonstrandum

who said that  people from UK don't like the EU... They even quote famous sentences in a european dead language

• 11 months later...

I think I experienced a failure last night. All of a sudden I saw smoke streaming, pulled over and noticed oil dripping out onto the exhaust. Oil seems to be coming out from the oil filter area. Will pull plastics and photograph this evening. Wish I had known about these failures, I bought the K & N based on brand recognition, but now that I think about it, I had another fail on my Ninja after an oil change last summer, though fortunately I didn't make it out of the driveway.

• Member Contributer

I'm still amazed at how many riders don't know about the K&N issue(s). With all of the oil threads and what's the best "this or that", the K&N issue would be more widely known. Well hopefully Cujo, your lesson wasn't an expensive one.

• Member Contributer

I just did an oil service and replaced a K&N with a Honda OEM one. I have to admit that I had forgotten I had one but fortunately it hung in there for 16K km and 3 years. 

The nut sure made it easy to remove though. :-)

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, cujo said:

I think I experienced a failure last night. All of a sudden I saw smoke streaming, pulled over and noticed oil dripping out onto the exhaust. Oil seems to be coming out from the oil filter area. Will pull plastics and photograph this evening. Wish I had known about these failures, I bought the K & N based on brand recognition, but now that I think about it, I had another fail on my Ninja after an oil change last summer, though fortunately I didn't make it out of the driveway.

Based on brand recognition I stick with OEM filters, brake pads, clutch plates, etc.

Just sayin'.

46 minutes ago, auggius said:

I just did an oil service and replaced a K&N with a Honda OEM one. I have to admit that I had forgotten I had one but fortunately it hung in there for 16K km and 3 years. 

The nut sure made it easy to remove though. :-)

16K KM and 3 years?!!!!!

That's way too long between oil changes...according to the vast majority of experts and owners manuals.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, DriverDave said:

16K KM and 3 years?!!!!!

That's way too long between oil changes...according to the vast majority of experts and owners manuals.

So I've been told. I didn't do it on purpose, just forgot, but I do use Motul 5100 4T oil. I even posted in this thread in June 2016 that I may even have a K&N filter on there. Turns out I did.

Archived