Photo of Your Bicycle and VFR

indianagenius

I had my two favorite bikes in the garage at the same tiime so shot a pic. I enjoy both for different reasons. It is a good day when I get to ride both of them. Post a pic of your favorite bicycle and VFR.

post-3159-0-51438700-1347879387.jpg

Stuck in the 90's....

My 98 Honda VFR with my 96 Schwinn Homegrown Mountain bike.

My 4 yr old is learning to ride the black 97 Dyno VFR.

My 5 yr old rides the 95 chrome Dyno VFR.

I think that the chrome bike may be the coolest! :tour:

attachment=19393:ixrace 006.jpg]

post-21620-0-28197100-1347907930.jpg

post-21620-0-37264800-1347908025.jpg

In the background you can see my 20yo BMX sidecar with Sturmey-Archer 3spd hub. Needs some TLC, thinking of converting her to electric. Have a stack of suitable batteries.

vfr750f-1-SML.JPG

My other wheels while I was on 6month licence suspension was an SE Bikes OM Flyer, 26" BMX cruiser. Loads of fun!

7997943994_a80d0eb8ed_z_d.jpg

Here's my 95 VFR:

Franco001.jpg

And here are my other 2 wheeled babies!:

DSC02363.jpg

1972 Line Seeker Carbon Fiber race bike (USA) (Resto in progress) +-20 -21 pounds projected

DSC02364.jpg

1984 Peugeot PSV steel race bike (France) 19.25 pounds

DSC01853.jpg

1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7 Carbon Fiber race bike (France) 17.15 pounds

DSC02367.jpg

1986 Alan Record Carbonio Carbon Fiber race Bike (Italy) 18.25 pounds

All bikes except for the Peugeot which was my bike since I was in college, were restored/re-built in the last two years.

Restoring and riding these 80's classics is my new found passion!

Beck

95 VFR

Thanks to MOST of the bicyclist around here " I hate You!!!" so I'm not a real fan of the idea behind this thread! I was a huge biker in CO with bike paths Everywhere, but theres something wrong with most of the none motorized two wheel Clowns around here out on my favorite back roads! :pissed:

BR

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks to MOST of the bicyclist around here " I hate You!!!" so I'm not a real fan of the idea behind this thread! I was a huge biker in CO with bike paths Everywhere, but theres something wrong with most of the none motorized two wheel Clowns around here out on my favorite back roads! :pissed:

BR

I hear 'ya, It's the exact same here in Louisville...

• Member Contributer

Only 3 of my 5 bicycles shown. Favorite bicycle? Maroon Van Dessel cross bike in the background. Not shown, Felt TT and restored 73 Legnano.

Never mind hte bikes. What's that nice Porsche between the two-wheeled things??

C

• Member Contributer

BR

No pic for now. My mountain bike (Gary Fisher) is hanging in the top of the garage with my kayaks, fishing poles, and camping gear.

I'm all about mountain bikes but have never understood the idea of road bikes. - not AGAINST them but I don't get it. The auto vs. road cyclist battle is a bitter one here in Colorado. We even have a new "3 Foot Law" that requires drivers to allow a 3 foot buffer between an auto and a cyclist which I do think is a reasonable idea. This state, especially the Denver-Boulder metro area is blanketed with bike trails and dedicated bike lanes but the narrow roads in the mountains are where things get nasty. I know the terrain is IDEAL for cyclists but most of those roads have minimal to absolutely no shoulder which puts the cyclists in harms way. We have a close family friend that was killed on his road bike in 2013, business owner, father of three, taken out by > surprise < an auto that made a left turn in front of him coming down a canyon road at approximately 40 mph. Motorcyclists aren't the only ones facing that issue. If drivers can't see you coming on a motorcycle with two bright headlights and fairly large visual profile, an oncoming bicycle is 100% invisible. I'm not sure our new law will help anything as most drivers move left for cyclists anyway and those that don't won't just because there is a new law.

Cyclists here want their legal protection for safety and we even have special edition license plates that say "Share The Road" for cycling safety awareness but then you have cyclists that split active lanes, run stop signs/red lights and give you the finger or pound on your car as they pass in tight quarters. They bring much of the vile responses on themselves.

Then we have DRIVERS who purposely graze cyclists and then there are those who won't pass a bicycle because they can't allow the 3 feet without crossing the double yellow line so you have a parade of cars coming down a canyon only at the speed of the cyclist. AAARRGGHHH!!!!

Aside from riding motorcycles, riding my mountain bike is one of my favorite ways to relax and get some exercise. I don't see any relaxation or enjoyment in riding narrow, heavily trafficked roads just inches from front bumpers of cars. RANT OFF! :0)

Here's my 95 VFR:

Franco001.jpg

And here are my other 2 wheeled babies!:

DSC02363.jpg

1972 Line Seeker Carbon Fiber race bike (USA) (Resto in progress) +-20 -21 pounds projected

DSC02364.jpg

1984 Peugeot PSV steel race bike (France) 19.25 pounds

DSC01853.jpg

1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7 Carbon Fiber race bike (France) 17.15 pounds

DSC02367.jpg

1986 Alan Record Carbonio Carbon Fiber race Bike (Italy) 18.25 pounds

All bikes except for the Peugeot which was my bike since I was in college, were restored/re-built in the last two years.

Restoring and riding these 80's classics is my new found passion!

Beck

95 VFR

Update:

Here's the 1972 Line Seeker resto/build, all finished up.....

DSC02375_zpsc6f785e8.jpg

A historically significant bike as it was the first carbon fiber framed bicycle produced, Bicycle historians estimate that a maximum of 200 - 300 of these frames were built by the Engineer who designed it built them (at his house) and eventually sold the design to Exxon who built and sold slightly modified versions as the Exxon Graftek, a couple of years after this one was produced.

This is frame #22 produced by the Engineer. This is the only complete/rideable one I know of.

Here's a project frameset I acquired over a year ago.....

DSC02317_zpsfc0966a1.jpg

A 1987 (est.) Medici "Aerodynamic" custom built race bike with "Hellenic" seat stay design and a forward sloping top tube for better aerodynamics.

The last owner I bought the frameset from had tracked it down to the actual builder, and the builder remembered the bike as one he built specially for a high placing Iron Man event Triathlete in the 80's. The paint/finish was pretty much gone and it is now just in primer to eventually be refinished by a professional bicycle restorer/refinisher.....when I ever find the money to have it done...... :rolleyes:

This will take some time and big money to finish....... :sad:

Here's my newest classic racing bicycle resto/build project......

DSC02611_zpsd32cc5d2.jpg

A 1984/85 Peugeot PY10FC Carbon Fiber framed bike as issued in the mid-80's to the Peugeot Factory Pro team and raced at races like the Tour de France.

A grail bike for me since I first saw one in the bicycle mags in the mid 80's

I'm still building it up with the correct components and the build had progressed a bit more since I took this pic....

Beck

95 VFR

• 5 months later...

My latest completed Classic French Racing bike build........

20150621_134016_resized_zpspurjqijs.jpg
20150621_134400_resized_zps4n3dqmw2.jpg
20150621_134519_resized_11_zpsvvqz2say.j
20150621_134439_resized_zpszsltwaco.jpg
20150621_134502_resized_zpsb6kv9bjd.jpg
20150621_134540_resized_zpsz54djojq.jpg

A personal "Grail" bike, a mid 80's Peugeot PY10FC Pro Team replica race bike. FC for "Fibre de Carbone". One of the very first carbon fiber framed bikes used extensively by a Professional race team (Peugeot factory team) in mid 80's races like the storied Tour de France.

Took a year and a month to finish the build/restoration as the parts and components were hard to find and very expensive, plus I had to do custom mods to some components as the Pro factory shop did, to make things fit on the oversized CF tubed frameset.

Build is very close to 100% French and period correct, using mostly NOS components and parts sourced carefully ad slowly (because of budget limitations) from many countries, mostly Europe. I'll take these classic 80's bikes over modern ones any time as I think they look so much better. Race bike aesthetics mostly went to pot after the 80's IMO.......

• Member Contributer

That's beautiful! Agreed - something has been lost in the past 15 to 20 years in the design of bicycles. They used to be works of art. Now they seem more like rolling billboards for the manufacturer. In 2014 I restored a 1970 Peugeot Mixte for a family member. I was surprised how easily I was able to obtain the correct graphics for it. It made the whole project. Now I'm working on my 1996 Klein Quantum II. Like you, I've source my components (Dura Ace) and am working on final assembly. I would like to ride it, but not sure I'll be able to bring myself to do it!

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

With the large Ultegra 52Tfront sprocket (I use most of the time in flat Netherlands) looking like this

post-8974-0-64189300-1453561812.jpg

Sourced a (cheaper) 105 50T blade and cleaned the rear cassette

post-8974-0-52014500-1453561877.jpg

post-8974-0-99134900-1453561909.jpg

post-8974-0-58891900-1453561932.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just cleaned up my Wilier Cento Uno after getting on the road with VFR the last few days. Toronto streets are killing the rims on this bike so will head north to let it stretch it's (my) legs.

Wilier Cento Uno.JPG

Wilier Cento Uno 2.JPG

Archived