Jump to content
ohwhell

Oil Filter Leaking...........

Recommended Posts

I have used K&N and a generic brand name to change filters an I keep getting an oil leak.  does anyone else have this issue.  I feel it's blowing passed the rubber seal/seat an then oil just drips down on exhaust.  Some give me Ideas on how to fix is what seems to be a very stupid issue..     UGH.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're changing filters and are seeing the same leak then its possible your oil leak maybe not the filter but above the filter and its dripping onto the filter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OEM filters only ..... K&N are known to explode of VFRs

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

OEM filters only ..... K&N are known to explode of VFRs

Negative...

There was a K&N safety recall back in 2016 for certain K&N oil
filters, Part Nos. KN-204 (black) and KN-204C (chrome), manufactured
between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016 can leak oil at the area
where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine
oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter. If there is such a
leak, oil could come into contact with the rear tire or rear brake of
the motorcycle on which the filter is installed. If this were to
occur, it could lead to a loss of control or a crash. Therefore, K&N
offered to replace the affected oil filters at no charge...


I continue to employ a K&N 303 filter on Mr.RC45 and I have used OEM and High Flow with equal satisfaction...

KN303a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14 May 2020 at 4:08 AM, ohwhell said:

I have used K&N and a generic brand name to change filters an I keep getting an oil leak.  does anyone else have this issue.  I feel it's blowing passed the rubber seal/seat an then oil just drips down on exhaust.  Some give me Ideas on how to fix is what seems to be a very stupid issue..     UGH.....

What filter part number are you using? Are you tightening the filter adequately? On my 8gen (or any of my bikes and cars) have never had an oil leak from the oil filter, used either OEM or Hiflo HF204.

It would be a surprise if you have a leak from somewhere else, 8gens are relatively new, but, it's a possibility I guess. Has there been any other major maintenance done on the bike recently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you change filters, you need to make sure the mating surface that the rubber seal contacts is nice and clean; any grit left here can cause a leak. Lightly lube the o-ring seal, and wind on firmly hand tight. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been using OEM filters and it’s happened twice where the oring from the old filter sticks to the case. My bike dumped out the oil after an oil change due to a “double oring”.

I would check that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use OEM filters because they're good, cheap and I don't worry about oil filters.   I think Honda knows what filters to brand for their motorcycles.  Just another opinion.  Let us know what is causing your leak.  That one sounds strange.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, EvanVFR750 said:

Ive been using OEM filters and it’s happened twice where the oring from the old filter sticks to the case. My bike dumped out the oil after an oil change due to a “double oring”.

I would check that. 

This is an easy mistake to make if your last filter got the seal stuck on the motor. If you're not paying attention it's really easy to miss the old seal stuck on their and put on a new filter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Thank you everyone, I've been looking over the bike again and again. an all seems to be coming form the oil filter.  (at first a very small leak) so I tightened the filter to give a better seal/seat (maybe 1/8 more turn) really snug.  well HUGE Failure.  only 5 miles down the road an oil all over exhaust and back tire is now coated with oil I need to clean.  without rechecking again. the only thing I did was tighten oil filter an now huge oil mess everywhere (It's the filter).  ok so I really like the K&N because of the nut on the end.  does the stock filter have the same nut.  Highflow racing filter doesn't.  (So strange though I've had 3 Highflow filters no issue (just pain changing) an 3-4 K&N and 2 of the K&N where bad).

 

I will be taking some Pictures an hope someone can see what I don't.  THX All

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19 May 2020 at 11:11 PM, ohwhell said:

- Thank you everyone, I've been looking over the bike again and again. an all seems to be coming form the oil filter.  (at first a very small leak) so I tightened the filter to give a better seal/seat (maybe 1/8 more turn) really snug.  well HUGE Failure.  only 5 miles down the road an oil all over exhaust and back tire is now coated with oil I need to clean.  without rechecking again. the only thing I did was tighten oil filter an now huge oil mess everywhere (It's the filter).  ok so I really like the K&N because of the nut on the end.  does the stock filter have the same nut.  Highflow racing filter doesn't.  (So strange though I've had 3 Highflow filters no issue (just pain changing) an 3-4 K&N and 2 of the K&N where bad).

 

I will be taking some Pictures an hope someone can see what I don't.  THX All

Did you tighten the K&N by the nut? It's only supposed to be used for filter removal.

Just avoid the K&N Oil filters with the spot welded nut on top, they can fail even if the nut has not been used to tightened it. 

Stock filters (fortunately) do not have the nut.

There are other ways of removing a tight filter if that is what you're concerned about. There are large adjustable gripping type pliers and filter end cap fittings that grip the flats of the filter which you connect to a .5inch drive socket wrench. Like these. Note - Pliers are for REMOVAL ONLY.

image.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nut on those K&N  filters damn near killed a 6th gen owner on here and came close to doing so to a friend of mine who owned a 5th gen.  Both cracked at the nut and soaked the rear tire while they were going down the road at speed.  I know that in at least the 2nd instance the nut was not used for installation.  Both were very lucky.  Maybe K&N has changed them since  - I have no data on that.   But having seen it twice I'm not willing to gamble my life on it.   

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2020 at 2:08 PM, ohwhell said:

I have used K&N and a generic brand name to change filters an I keep getting an oil leak.  does anyone else have this issue.  I feel it's blowing passed the rubber seal/seat an then oil just drips down on exhaust.  Some give me Ideas on how to fix is what seems to be a very stupid issue..     UGH.....

 

7 hours ago, Cogswell said:

The nut on those K&N  filters damn near killed a 6th gen owner on here and came close to doing so to a friend of mine who owned a 5th gen.  Both cracked at the nut and soaked the rear tire while they were going down the road at speed.  I know that in at least the 2nd instance the nut was not used for installation.  Both were very lucky.  Maybe K&N has changed them since  - I have no data on that.   But having seen it twice I'm not willing to gamble my life on it.   

 

 

That nut on the K&N filters is is a well known failure point, the weld is a weak area and eventually cracks and then leaks oil ..... too many guys have gone down because of it.

 

Stop using the K&N oil filters!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well to get back on the road I needed to replace the filter on there...….Unfortunately it was another K&N 204-1 (An yes I did tighten it with the nut...…..) I know better now.  I just found it very difficult to remove and tighten filter without the nut.(I'm Lazy......well not really) I just find changing an oil filter shouldn't be difficult, I do have a oil filter wrench but was so difficult to move around an get in placed on the filter.  I do like the small wrench you pictured GRUM Thx Ill try that (stop at local store or auto parts store to find one) Yes the other day I was very lucky my whole back tire was coated with oil. Lucky I didn't have many turns to my house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ohwhell said:

well to get back on the road I needed to replace the filter on there...….Unfortunately it was another K&N 204-1 (An yes I did tighten it with the nut...…..) I know better now.  I just found it very difficult to remove and tighten filter without the nut.(I'm Lazy......well not really) I just find changing an oil filter shouldn't be difficult, I do have a oil filter wrench but was so difficult to move around an get in placed on the filter.  I do like the small wrench you pictured GRUM Thx Ill try that (stop at local store or auto parts store to find one) Yes the other day I was very lucky my whole back tire was coated with oil. Lucky I didn't have many turns to my house. 

Just only use those gripping type adjustable pliers for Removal Only. The end cap type can be used for both install and removal. Firm hand tight is all that's required to install.

Seriously glad you're still around to tell the story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even post recall, those K&N filters garbage. I ran OEM for years without a single drop of oil. I installed one of the K&N ones on my bike at the end of last season because that's all they had at Autozone at it leaked immediately.  Got a replacement from Autozone and it was okay for a few rides this year, but now after about 500 miles it's leaking worse than the first one.  Bought an OEM one today.  Never again, K&N. Never again. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are a lot of "OEM only" types here, but I've had excellent luck with Napa filters. Never had any leaks and I've never had any issues with removal.

 

I use this technique that I've developed: I grab the filter with my hand and I turn it counter clockwise. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a moose. Interestingly, I'm still stymied by the occasional pickle jar... 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a similar experience with a hi-flo oil filter that my shop installed. I kept thinking I smelled oil. It was leaking at the junction

 

where the nut is welded on. Had a scary ride with a lubed rear tire . That was the only time I didn't use a OEM Honda filter.

 

That's what I would stick with. The Oil Filter location is a PITA. My 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On these K&N's.... on those with leakers, did you tighten the filter using a wrench on the nut?  Not that I see the need to ever use one (unnecessary feature to me), but the nut is only intended to be used at removal... another question, what if any are the instructions on the filter box it comes in?  I didn't find anything on the website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I experienced an oil filter leak when I powered up my VFR800 back in April. It was a very small leak where the filter mates to the engine. I torqued it with my hands and I guess it wasn't a good seal. I ended up using an oil filter wrench to snug it down a bit more, maybe a 1/32 of a turn and it stopped. 

 

I would just stick to K&N air filters. Heard too many horror stories with their oil filters. YMMV.

 

FWIW, I plan on getting the adapter for the filter so I torque it to spec. Never did this before to any other vehicle but don't want to take another chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wrap sand sand paper around the filter to hand tightten  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gig said:

wrap sand sand paper around the filter to hand tightten  

Sorry got to disagree with Gig. Sandpaper will damage the paint & filters are only made of cheap mild steel, I’ve seen then rust out in a year once the paint is damaged. Hence the hand tighten. 

 

I your filter is leaking at the seal it’s not due to lack of torque, more likely lack of cleanliness & not lubing the rubber gasket with clean oil before fitting the filter. It’s that lube that allows Han tight to be tight enough & stops the gasket grabbing until it’s tight enough. 
 

YMMV
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Sorry got to disagree with Gig. Sandpaper will damage the paint & filters are only made of cheap mild steel, I’ve seen then rust out in a year once the paint is damaged. Hence the hand tighten. 

 

I your filter is leaking at the seal it’s not due to lack of torque, more likely lack of cleanliness & not lubing the rubber gasket with clean oil before fitting the filter. It’s that lube that allows Han tight to be tight enough & stops the gasket grabbing until it’s tight enough. 
 

YMMV
 

+1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, Mohawk said:

Sorry got to disagree with Gig. Sandpaper will damage the paint & filters are only made of cheap mild steel, I’ve seen then rust out in a year once the paint is damaged. Hence the hand tighten. 

 

I your filter is leaking at the seal it’s not due to lack of torque, more likely lack of cleanliness & not lubing the rubber gasket with clean oil before fitting the filter. It’s that lube that allows Han tight to be tight enough & stops the gasket grabbing until it’s tight enough. 
 

YMMV
 

Solo? Is that a specific spec?😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you lube the gasket with engine oil or even grease, standard thing is to install until gasket contacts base, then 1/2 - 3/4 turn more.  Should be no leaks and it will be easier to remove next time.  I have a filter wrench that looks like a curved jaw channel-lock kind of thing, can usually get them off without much effort.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.