Oil Drip At Front Wheel?

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

I'm thinking it's brake fluid. It was all over left tube and all over that brake metal block where multiple brake lines join that's bolted right above the left front caliper. A nice big black puddle on the concrete and that metal block was soaked. Can't tell if it goes any higher than that.

I did notice my font brakes seemed a bit "wooden" but just thought it was the pads being old and glazed. How hard is it to change out the two rubber lines that meet at that block? I know refilling the lines and getting the air out can be a pita.

• Member Contributer

Brake fluid has a very distinct odor. In addition to fork oil as a possibility, the oil cooler line connects to the cooler just above and slightly behind that location. How does that look?

• Member Contributer

I replaced the fork seals a couple years ago and they dont have that many miles. When the origunals went, the fork oil was just on the smooth tube and a tiny streak down the rough tube. I dont see how it could have sprayed all over the brake line area.

Plus the bike has been sitting in the same spot for over a month with the spot on the concrete getting bigger.

• Member Contributer

Brake fluid has a very distinctive odor. You should be able to tell right off if it's brake fluid. Also, if it's that wet the level in the master cylinder should be down, and if there was a puddle, waay down. My vote is for leaky fork seal too.

However if it is the brakes, you need to determine exactly where the leak is. Clean everything off, and degrease it and then put some flour on the area where you think it's leaking. That should pinpoint the spot. In the meantime I know I wouldn't be riding it until I fixed the brakes, if that's what it is.

It shouldn't be hard to change the lines, just be careful not to get any brake fluid on plastic or painted parts. Bad news.

Looking at Partzilla all three lines are only about $75 or so. Of course if you end up needing to replace them you might check into the stainless braided lines. Work great and look cool.

You probably should replace the brake pads on that side too if they got wet.

• Member Contributer

Its the forks. You got to be kidding me. They're not that old. Even the covers are cracked. Winters around the corner, my garage isnt finished, and everyone around here charges a butt load to changed the seals even if you bring them in yourself.

I think I used All Balls seals. I did it myself last time and the only help I need was getting the seal pressed in all the way. The PVC trick didnt work. Even the moto mechanic said they were a tad hard getting to seat.

• Member Contributer

When you get them apart, get a very fine hard Arkansas stone and check the fork legs for burrs in the area where the seals move. Could have a small stone ding that did in the new seals. You'll feel the ding with the stone, but it won't scratch the chrome surface. That's why you use a very fine hard Arkansas stone.

• Member Contributer

Even the moto mechanic said they were a tad hard getting to seat.

Seals hard to sit??

not really..... :goofy:

seal-versus-sea-lion-1.jpg

:offtopic:

Back on topic. thank you for posting this, for it strengthens my idea of having this kind of work done by someone who knows what he/she is doing (eg not me!)

• Member Contributer

Where in Texas are you? I recently had Roger Albert with OnRoad OffRoad Cycles do some suspension work for me. I'm going to have him redo my forks pretty soon. He's based out of Austin but he does mobile work at all the Texas race tracks.

Stick with oem seals, also you have to be very careful with installation, seals can be damaged very easily. But you have 2 options, typical aftermarket crap seals or poor installation, its one or the other. Cause yeah the vfr seals are about the longest longevity seals Ive seen, so why risk aftermarket crap, I don't see the reasoning.

• Member Contributer

If you've ever thought about a suspension upgrade, since they have to come off again this might be the perfect time to have them done.

• Member Contributer

If you've ever thought about a suspension upgrade, since they have to come off again this might be the perfect time to have them done.

Im a small guy. Ive never hated the stock ride. Plus I wouldnt know what to change.

• Member Contributer

When you get them apart, get a very fine hard Arkansas stone and check the fork legs for burrs in the area where the seals move. Could have a small stone ding that did in the new seals. You'll feel the ding with the stone, but it won't scratch the chrome surface. That's why you use a very fine hard Arkansas stone.

+1 make sure there are no burrs on the tubes. Put some plastic wrap over the tube ends when sliding the new seals on, and use plenty of fork oil as lube. Pack the space between the oil, and dust seals with grease to catch anything that gets past the dust seal. Lastly keep the tubes clean, and use a little fork oil on the dust seals to keep 'em from drying out. BTW I learned all this the hard way.

• Member Contributer

I've used SKF seals and so far so good. They are 2x OEM prices, but figured I'd give them a shot on the track bike. Used OEMs on the VFRs before no problems.

Don't forget to check your bushings if you didn't the first time around.

• Member Contributer

If I could add my 2 cents worth...

Fork seals that sit unused for long periods of time can start to leak all on their own. It is a common issue for motorcycle dealers with stock that sits on the showroom floor. Something you could try (costs nothing and won't make it worse) is to slide a very fine feeler gauge between the fork leg and seal and work it around the tube. This can (sometimes) dislodge a little bit of grit that is causing the leak. Here's an article that talks about the very same idea:

http://rideapart.com/articles/easy-fork-seal-repair

The second point I will make is that fork oil leaking into the brake calliper is a Bad Thing; the oil soaks into the brake pad and causes a loss of friction, which might explain your comment about "wooden brakes". You could try pulling the pads out and hitting them with brake cleaner but in my experience that doesn't completely restore the pads, so I'd be thinking about some new pads at this point.

If you do replace your seals just make sure that you install them the right way up. Go on, ask me how I know!

A decent length of PVC pipe and a rubber mallet make for an easy fork seal driver. Just make sure the PVC pipe is cut off very square. You can put the old seal on top of the new seal to drive on; that avoids the possibility of damaging the new seal. You can use a little rubber grease on the new seal to help it into its new home smoothly.Another tip is to put a piece of plastic bag over the top to the fork tube when you slip the new seals on; again that avoids the chance of tearing the lip of the seal on the top of the tube.

• Member Contributer

I use 35mm film to get funk out.

I have one oem set when I bought a binch of spare parts from a guy but I dont k iw how old the kit is. Its been sealed this how time. Of course we dont know how old any of rubber oem parts are.

In case you weren't convinced, I'll also recommend oem seals.

And if it helps at all, I charge $200 to refurbish VFR forks with oem seals, bushings and oil. Not saying I can do them right now, just saying it might help for comparison's sake.

Archived