Front end conversion - was yours worth it ??

Renevator

• Member Contributer

I've got 2 4th gens, 1 w/ GSXR front end & 6 piston PM calipers squeazing 330mm full floating iron rotors and fox racing shock in the rear and I can't use it to its potential on the roads, whereas the other on has a stock front end w/ gold valves and a penske shock and its definately good enough for hard street riding (riding @ the pace). I have approx 1/8" chicken strips on the stock VFR rear and about 1/4" on the front and go thru my Pilot Powers about every 2500 miles. On the modified one , I run PP 2ct's and go thru them about every 1500-2000 miles and it seems to be harder on the front tire & no chicken strips on the rear(190 on RC 45 wheel). I feel for street riding a stock gold valved front end w/ a decent shock is your most bang for the buck. See my gallery pictures for pics of both.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Its pretty fun, was built as a AFM / AMA open superbike racer , than they changed the rules to allow 1000cc's , so I cut a hole in the fairing for a headlight and it's a potent backroad weapon

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

So far I like the F4i using 6th gen triples onto my 5th gen. However, I only have 0.95 springs up front and I'm currently 235lbs...at the start of last year I was 255 lbss...so I'm gradually going toward the correct front spring rate for my weight...problem is I always ride (except trackdays) with Givi bags and a tank bag.

The other thing that is now more apparent with the F4i forks is that I re-set the sag and set the comp and rebound in the middle of settings and I notice the rear end isn't following the front. Seems that the code on the Ohlins rear says the spring rate is stock...that HAS to change. I've ridden around this before and now how to manage this but I would be better suited and have a more stable bike tipping in and coming out of corners if the rear spring rate and fronts matched the bike well...

If anyone knows someone in Northern Virginia who can swap out an Ohlins spring (must have the Ohlins style spring compressor tool) let me know...maybe that Ducati dealership in Winchester?

Matt

For me, Wilbers springs & RaceTech valves combined with a Wilbers rear (with separate reservoir) did the trick nicely. I got it set up acc to my needs & I'm happy. I will not look too soon for another fork upgrade.

Last year I rode 700+ km/day twice on dry & pouring rain never losing traction or missing my intended trajectory. Even on the mountain trails (no tarmac but rocks & light mud) my front never faltered on both dry & wet - I did used Pirelli Scorpion Trail rubber :) . See relatedpics in the link bellow.

1525700_577365729000207_268795658_n_zps6

I am running 2005 R1 forks in cbr954 triple trees with 2mm axle and rotor spacers, dan moto clip-ons and R1 wheel/brakes.

Its awesome, with 7 wt fluid and 1.1 kg/mm springs, rides smooth with no fork dive under braking. Brakes are phenomenal by the way.

The rear tire will lift effortlessly.

Edited by CandyRedRC46

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thought I'd add my R1 conversion to the mix.

Details are here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77541-another-r1-front-end-conversion/

As I outlined in the post specifically about the conversion, I'm in complete agreement with the major change to the bikes handling.

It has built greater confidence and as someone else on this post has stated, with greater confidence comes better safety margins.

Must add that I've got an Ohlins on the rear as well.

I would do it again in a flash. Well worth it.

Here's a pic of the finished product.

Cheers

Phil

post-25941-0-12081300-1404465318.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Chanting frantically....

"My redslut doesnot need USD"

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

It's not working .

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

"Dutchy needs USD"

EVERY single time I try to improve the performance of the front of my 4th gen, I regret it. For me, it just isn't worth it. I had an F4 front end on my last 4th gen, but other than the brakes, I hated it. Of course I didn't have time to properly set it up, but I digress. I drop the front 6 mm, change the fork oil and called it good on Charlotte. I can't haul A$$ here in VA like I use to in CA anyway

Thought I'd add my R1 conversion to the mix.

Details are here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77541-another-r1-front-end-conversion/

As I outlined in the post specifically about the conversion, I'm in complete agreement with the major change to the bikes handling.

It has built greater confidence and as someone else on this post has stated, with greater confidence comes better safety margins.

Must add that I've got an Ohlins on the rear as well.

I would do it again in a flash. Well worth it.

Here's a pic of the finished product.

Cheers

Phil

attachicon.gif20140629_131238-sml.jpg

Damn Phil you got me beat! lol that's the 07 plus R1 front end huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

It's a 2010 model with the R1 front end.

We were lucky enough in NZ to still have them available new up until last year.

There are some dealers still with Gen 6 new stock on there floors.

R1 front end make a huge difference.

Phil

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Did the VTR front on my 5th gen. Don't even bother this one unless you are getting new springs made for you. My couch has better springs. Whatever you are swapping. Get springs made.

Did the VTR front on my 5th gen. Don't even bother this one unless you are getting new springs made for you. My couch has better springs. Whatever you are swapping. Get springs made.

Rider weight and preferred riding style may have some bearing on this.

The VTR is a bit lighter than the VFR so yep it probably runs a lighter spring.

• 3 months later...

my 95 with an 09cbr600rr front end. its a direct swap, nothing special needed. the whole thing bolts off the 600rr and onto the vfr and even the fork stops are perfect. The only thing I did was cut off the tab for the 600rr steering stabilizer or it would hit my tank.

20141023_080905_zps9bofqgty.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

my 95 with an 09cbr600rr front end. its a direct swap, nothing special needed. the whole thing bolts off the 600rr and onto the vfr and even the fork stops are perfect. The only thing I did was cut off the tab for the 600rr steering stabilizer or it would hit my tank.

Have some details on that big wide rear wheel??

• Member Contributer

i think your the first to do a 600RR swap. Good to know ..

For me, Wilbers springs & RaceTech valves combined with a Wilbers rear (with separate reservoir) did the trick nicely. I got it set up acc to my needs & I'm happy. I will not look too soon for another fork upgrade.

Last year I rode 700+ km/day twice on dry & pouring rain never losing traction or missing my intended trajectory. Even on the mountain trails (no tarmac but rocks & light mud) my front never faltered on both dry & wet - I did used Pirelli Scorpion Trail rubber :) . See relatedpics in the link bellow.

One option for you would be to use F4i internals in your VFR forks, this would gain you rebound adjustment only.

• 1 month later...

I just finished updating my 97 VFR with 01 CBR 929RR front Forks and 06 CBR 600RR fairings. The 929 forks are about as easy a swap as possible however it fits pretty tight in relation to the radiator, both in lock to lock turning and full compression. I cut and clocked the upper radiator mounts to pull it in tighter and pulled the bottom in tighter to finally get everything to fit. The change in offset and height shortened the wheelbase a tad but the bike turns in like a proper sportbike now and both the handling and brakes have much more confidence. I have the 929rr rear shock as well but wanted to put time on just the front end first to understand the difference in feel between the two changes.

97 VFCBR Hybrid

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So instead of reading impossible volumes of threads, I figured I'd throw out this question:

Is it possible to drop the F4i internals + fork cap into my 6th gen's forks to gain rebound adjustability?

Or is swapping out the entire fork(s) necessary (i.e. tube-cartridge assy and brake callipers)?

That way I could keep the original CBS brake set-up (roadworthy inspections are getting stricter and stricter in Spain)

I've put up with the sloppy front end on this thing for too long now and seeing how the new 8th gen has rebound adjustment I figure that's all that's really missing.

• Member Contributer

here's the thread where one guy does his F4I internals swap:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/53881-what-fork-oil-wt-with-f4i-internals-mod/

Posts #17 and #18 have some key issues noted with this "swap". You do retain "adjustability" but I think you don't have adjustability on the FLY if you swap the VFR forks with the F4i forks...

Have fun and be safe.

Matt

FWIW I did the complete F4i swap on the front end of my 2000 5th Gen...I run 6th gen triples and use F4i forks, the 5th gen front wheel, F4i brakes, F4i MC and a F4i front fender. Here's the thread where I started asking...BTW I didn't document my swap very well...I'm not the greatest poster on the forum...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72069-6th-gen-f4-fork-swap-questions/

This post has a pic of a dude who had his innards swapped out by HK in Holland: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/69986-front-end-conversion-was-yours-worth-it/?p=830492

The think that's neat is they separated Rebound from Compression - one fork handles Reb and the other comp...so you can adjust both comp and reb on the fly instead of having to take internals out of both forks and adjust then put back in...

Edited by zupatun

• 9 months later...

While with limited budget and skill, I did nothing more than swap the fork lowers with the Firestorm ones to get the 4-pots on my Gen 4. Internals remained the same. The brakes are better, it looks OEM and helped me bond that little bit more with the motorcycle. In my mind, it makes it more 'mine'...

DSC00457%20Small%202_zpsj5zzxdlf.jpg

• Like 2