Considering a VFR... help

Hello all. I was hoping to get a bit of advice about buying a VFR 800 from some folks that have them, as I am considering getting my first real street bike since my twenties. I am trying to decide if this is the right bike for me. I am in my mid fourties and have been racing forever (road racing, motocross, and supermoto). After a lot of injuries, surgeries, metal implants, and spending a fortune, I have decided to stop road racing (but will I definitely keep doing moto a few times a week).

Anyway, I think I may have talked my wife into letting me ride on the street (even though the thought terrifies her) and I am wondering if a VFR would be capable enough for fun/spirited riding. I would probably commute once in a while, ride on some twisty mountain/canyon roads weekly, and do five or six track days a year. I don't plan to ride at race pace, but still want to be able to go at a decent clip, dragging knees, and having fun. Also, not trying to be full of myself, but I think my 7/10ths canyon pace is still pretty quick. I have no ambition of ever touring or going on rides longer than a few hours. 

I found a 2015 VFR with low miles for sale, but it is about six hours away and I have never ridden one (and probably won't get to unless I buy one). I am trying to decide if I should pull the pin and head up there to buy it. Do you all find that your VFRs are fun for spirited riding or do you think a middle weight sport bike would be more appropriate and more fun? I sat on Suzuki GSX-S1000GT and a Ninja 1000SX at the dealer and was shocked by how big, heavy, and upright they felt, but I would assume the VFR is lighter and sportier than that, right? I've owned a lot of Hondas and I have always thought they have been great bikes. I know the VFR isn't going to be fast, but does it handle well? Is it fun to ride at pace? Does it do okay at a trackday at intermediate pace?

Thank you

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD Johnnie. The question you're asking is almost impossible to answer as it comes down to personal preferences and expectations.

I think everyone on here is by definition a fan of the VFR line. I'll try to offer my perspective and I'm sure others will chip in.

The VFR is a fantastically well designed and built machine and the 8 Gen you are thinking about includes a number of improvements on niggles from earlier versions. It handles very well in a neutral way and can easily walk tall among sportbikes on the road in the right hands. The VTEC transition is almost negligible now and in my mind gives you 2 engine characters in one machine; a softer response below 6500 for cruising about (and circa 60mpg), or a bit of a hooligan from 7000 up if you're going for it and plenty fast enough for the real world if you value your licence. Bags or torque and sublimely smooth. 

It is quite heavy compared to a GSXR or R1 but the weight disappears when moving. It's also a taller riding position than a superbike or supersport. This makes initiating turning a little bit more effort but it's also more stable - particularly noticeable when it's windy. The higher seat height also means you probably won't and don't need your knee on the floor with one cheek off the seat unless you're really pushing.

So it really depends on your personal preference. If you want race style flickability and raging superbike acceleration in a light package that has you lying on the tank testing your knee and wrist joints on every ride, the VFR ain't it. On the other hand if you want a well mannered road bike that will get you where you want to go in comfort and then offer good scratching potential and fun on your favourite curves, the VFR fits the bill. If you can, try to ride before you buy.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

PS. The Kawasaki 1000SX, Suzuki GSX1000GT and VFR800F all lie in the 225-228kg weight range. Google it.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/110277-2014-vfr-800-cycle-world-test/

A read of this thread might help

• Member Contributer

It is a highly personal decision. It isn't a sport bike, but I've had mine at many track days and it does just fine. As you likely know, much of that is down to the rider. 

Comparing specs, IMHO, isn't going to be worth much either, as you can change so much, from power to ergonomics, and even weight if you really wanted to. 

I'm comfy running around on mine, two up, full knee down mode, and it never hiccups or complains, and that's on sport touring rubber. 

What else have you ridden, on track and off? 

N2_CMP-20190901095641-6345sm.jpg

58 minutes ago, bmart said:

What else have you ridden, on track and off? 

Thanks for the response. I'm quite glad to see you can still ride your bike on track. That makes me feel better about it.

Off track, I haven't ridden much in 15 years, with the exception of gooning on my Honda Monkey, and I'm not sure that really counts for much. My last street bike was an early BMW S1000RR... as I remember, it was quite good, but always felt kind of dull and sterile. I have fond memories of my first street bike, an F4i, but that was over 20 years ago and time may have me wearing rose-colored glasses.

On track, I've had an SV650, CBR600RR, Triumph Daytona 675, and R1. My current motocross bike is a Husky 350 and my supermoto bike is a Husky 450. Of the road bikes, I think the Daytona was my favourite because it handled neutrally, controlled a slide well, and was stable, but that was after a lot of suspension and chassis work. I only rode it once or twice before the work was done and, I think, it was pretty slow to turn stock.

4 hours ago, Presson said:

This makes initiating turning a little bit more effort but it's also more stable - particularly noticeable when it's windy. The higher seat height also means you probably won't and don't need your knee on the floor with one check of the seat unless you're really pushing.

Thank you. The stability in the wind would be nice, it gets super windy here and I hate riding in that stuff. Turn in effort would be annoying... does anyone raise there rear end up and maybe lengthen the forks to help that?

I tend to like my knee down in corners just because it makes me feel more comfortable... it's just a habit at this point. Totally unnecessary, but I feel a little weird if I don't have that third point of contact.

On a 6th gen, you can slip a fender washer or two under the upper shock mount to raise the rear and then pull the forks up to lower the front. It only takes a small change to make a big difference. I think mounts on the 8th gen are the same so it should be possible to make simple adjustments. A VFR is hard to be for riding to and in the mountains. It rides much lighter than it is and the weight makes it much more comfortable on the open road or in the wind. You can't beat the build quality of the VFR. I've had several newer Hondas and they are just not the same. They are built to last a lifetime...or two.

I've never considered the VFR to be a knee-down bike on the street. Seems unnecessary. 

While it'll certainly embarrass full-on sports bikes in the right hands, it isn't a full on supersport but I would argue it doesn't pretend to be and it's all the better for it. 

See can you get a test ride on one and see how it feels. If you do purchase one there's a great community on here with loads of mod expertise etc.

Best of luck! 

• Member Contributer

Hiya Johnnie...

Even though Freddie Spencer had an RC45 during his High-Performance
Riding School days he would instead dice with the students on his
VFR... I think that the 5th gen VFR (98 to 01) has more sport and less
tour than the other generations...

Freddie Spencer's RC45 serial number 6...

FreddieSpencerRC45.JPG

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Hiya Johnnie...

Even though Freddie Spencer had an RC45 during his High-Performance
Riding School days he would instead dice with the students on his
VFR...

Years ago I bought Feddies 6th gen VFR that he used for two-up rides at the school. Other than the suspension and stickers it was stock, and he could fly on that bike. Me, not so much.....

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

I remember reading a story about Freddy Spencer riding a '98 VFR just after they were released around Laguna Seca and posting a respectable lap time.  I bought one right after reading that story.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I remember reading a story about Freddy Spencer riding a '98 VFR just after they were released around Laguna Seca and posting a respectable lap time.  I bought one right after reading that story.

One of the times I attended his school in Vegas was right at that time.  He used it as his coaching bike.  Watched him left hand throttle, knee down, reach under his left arm with his right hand and point at the apex.

He said he also RAILED the new aluminum framed Goldwing and scared some of the journalists and Honda reps, 2 up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

One of the times I attended his school in Vegas was right at that time.  He used it as his coaching bike.  Watched him left hand throttle, knee down, reach under his left arm with his right hand and point at the apex.

Insane! Bubba Shobert and that sound sold me on my 86 and that sound at the track..."WTF was that!"

Welcome to the forum, Johnnie!

I've never done track days, but I rode a 6th gen. VFR for over 14 years for a great variety of uses - commuting, touring, sport-riding in the twisties, and even lazy Sunday fun rides for a few hours.  In my opinion, the VFR's strength is its all-arounder-ness.  It's capable enough to embarrass less experienced or talented riders in the corners, but if they're on newer liter bikes, they'll probably whiz right past you in the straights.  But if you're only doing track days and not racing, I think you'd have a blast on a VFR on the track and on the street.  The V4 engine is just a terrific blend of power and character, especially when revving it from mid to high rpms.

The big plus for many VFR owners are its ergonomics.  I can't imagine riding a supersport more than 30 minutes at a time, but on my old VFR I frequently did all-day rides and trips where I rode 400+ miles a day.  It's a bike that will get you to the good mountain roads comfortably enough, rather than having to trailer it, so you can enjoy the ride to and from, not just in the twisties.

VFRs are not light, but the others above are right - once you're moving the weight is a non-issue.  And the additional heft does make it more stable, including in high winds.  And as others said above, too, it will run forever.  And the wealth of information on this forum is a huge plus to VFR ownership.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

I actually have 2 VFRs, a 5 Gen and a 6 Gen. I set them up slightly different and for two specific purposes. My 5 Gen is setup for sport/track riding and my 6 Gen for touring/commuting.

When I first set them up, the first thing I concentrated on was suspension. For the 5 Gen, I went with a fully adjustable rear shock and added rebound adjusters to the forks. Again, this is for my sport riding intentions. Though I initially kept the rear passenger pegs for my wife, she didn’t care for riding on this bike. But for me, it is great on the track and on canyon roads.

On the 6 Gen, more closely related to the 8 Gen 2014 model, I went with a more ergonomic approach and tailored the suspension to touring and commuting. There I added a remote preload adjustable shock, due to my varying cargo I might haul and the on and off my wife being a passenger. With the top case (with back rest) my wife finds it a lot more comfortable. The ergonomics part, I installed Heli-bars, which have a higher rise and more shift towards the rider. This along with a touring wind screen made the ride much more comfortable for me too.

All that said, I’ve ridden both bikes at the track and on canyon roads and both are very capable in those situations.

Once the suspension was upgraded, I turned my focused on other “performance” upgrades but with just the suspension upgrades, both bikes became much more enjoyable.

I hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

D

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Hey Johnnie, a final thought. Hopefully the bike you are considering is the Deluxe version as it has preload and rebound adjustment at both ends with a remote preload adjuster on the rear. The standard version only has preload adjustment; on the rear that is via use of C spanners. The Deluxe also has heated grips. Cheers 

Arguably one of the best motorcycles ever made.

I never thought an 11.3 sec quarter mile time was slow or 0-100 mph in 7.5 sec. (Cycle World Test)

The engine is so refined and the quality of assembly is so above most bikes.

Just riding it slow makes me Grin. Engine noise and smoothness and qaulity of controls and paint.

Its not the lightest bike but I ride with Ducati V4s and V2 and Aprilia Tuonos  and my buddies bikes are always having problems or waiting for parts.

In the twisties on the street I'm there with them and if they want to lose me they are going to crash. LOL

Its so stable at 140 mph.

VTEC noise transition.

Good luck, my VFR is my sportbike that I can ride for 4 hrs.

And the looks , nuf said.

20220501_165741.jpg

• Like 5

One last thing. I met Freddie Spencer in person at a motorcycle show before Covid. We had a great convo and he luved the fact

i was riding a RWB VFR 800 25th. I told him I always pretended I was him when I attack the corners. We had a great laugh.

When asked what do you ride on the street back home?

He replied with a grin and a smile:  RWB 25th like you.

and thats how he signed his book (Freddie Spencer: FEEL) for me;

Hey John, keep enjoying your VFR I have one too. Freddie Spencer.

F'N Priceless.

VFR 800 RWB.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Member Contributer
On 3/16/2024 at 8:30 PM, johnnie903 said:

Hello all. I was hoping to get a bit of advice about buying a VFR 800 from some folks that have them, as I am considering getting my first real street bike since my twenties. I am trying to decide if this is the right bike for me. I am in my mid fourties and have been racing forever (road racing, motocross, and supermoto). After a lot of injuries, surgeries, metal implants, and spending a fortune, I have decided to stop road racing (but will I definitely keep doing moto a few times a week).

Anyway, I think I may have talked my wife into letting me ride on the street (even though the thought terrifies her) and I am wondering if a VFR would be capable enough for fun/spirited riding. I would probably commute once in a while, ride on some twisty mountain/canyon roads weekly, and do five or six track days a year. I don't plan to ride at race pace, but still want to be able to go at a decent clip, dragging knees, and having fun. Also, not trying to be full of myself, but I think my 7/10ths canyon pace is still pretty quick. I have no ambition of ever touring or going on rides longer than a few hours. 

I found a 2015 VFR with low miles for sale, but it is about six hours away and I have never ridden one (and probably won't get to unless I buy one). I am trying to decide if I should pull the pin and head up there to buy it. Do you all find that your VFRs are fun for spirited riding or do you think a middle weight sport bike would be more appropriate and more fun? I sat on Suzuki GSX-S1000GT and a Ninja 1000SX at the dealer and was shocked by how big, heavy, and upright they felt, but I would assume the VFR is lighter and sportier than that, right? I've owned a lot of Hondas and I have always thought they have been great bikes. I know the VFR isn't going to be fast, but does it handle well? Is it fun to ride at pace? Does it do okay at a trackday at intermediate pace?

Thank you

If you're interested in how one will do on the track, have a look at this video of John McGuinness riding a 5th gen at a track day.  This one has 100,000 miles and a luggage rack.  :laugh:  Note that he's passing many sportier, more powerful (probably liter) bikes.   They likely pull away from him down the straights, but in the corners he makes it all back and more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMWXwsGUGM8

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
On 3/17/2024 at 6:33 AM, johnnie903 said:

I tend to like my knee down in corners just because it makes me feel more comfortable... it's just a habit at this point. Totally unnecessary, but I feel a little weird if I don't have that third point of contact.

Lot's of people feel the same way. :wink:  This is another forum member.

large.DSC07246.jpg.da67f3667be35deb668b3

The things the newer bikes are going to have though are the adjustable power modes, TC, WC, ABS, electronic cruise, etc. You don't sound like that is what you're after but may be a consideration. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

Lot's of people feel the same way. :wink:  This is another forum member.

large.DSC07246.jpg.da67f3667be35deb668b3

The things the newer bikes are going to have though are the adjustable power modes, TC, WC, ABS, electronic cruise, etc. You don't sound like that is what you're after but may be a consideration. 

Knee down, toe about to drag, and the peg feeler still has a way to go before it touches.  This one still has more in it re corning before it's at the limit.  These bikes (as most modern motorcycles) are more capable than most of their riders (including me!).  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Knee down, toe about to drag, and the peg feeler still has a way to go before it touches.  This one still has more in it re corning before it's at the limit.  These bikes (as most modern motorcycles) are more capable than most of their riders (including me!).  :rolleyes:

I know all my VFRs are way more capable than me and happy to keep it that way. 😆:beer:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

Its so stable at 140 mph.

Also at 4mph, something I really appreciate in slow traffic. There's no sense of needing to get a foot ready to put down until you properly stop.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:34 AM, Cogswell said:

If you're interested in how one will do on the track, have a look at this video of John McGuinness riding a 5th gen at a track day.  This one has 100,000 miles and a luggage rack.  :laugh:  Note that he's passing many sportier, more powerful (probably liter) bikes.   They likely pull away from him down the straights, but in the corners he makes it all back and more. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMWXwsGUGM8

Not sure that gives me a tonne of insight. Pretty sure John McGuinness could smoke me on a Grom!!!

• Haha 3

• Member Contributer

Me too but it does highlight just how good even an ageing VFR can be.

• Like 2