Maybe sport tourers are not Dead?

VFR80025th

I think I would prefer the bars a tad lower a la VFR.

Colors are underwhelming, maybe a silver or even white would have been nice.

Interesting machine though.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

Suzuki enters the fray for those not seeking and ugly ADV Bike.

What do you think?GSX.webp.35a0e39491b81a603c0a7eadeb8931ec.webp

I have been starting to get the new bike itch....that Suzuki is looking good.

Nothing in the Honda line up covers this....

-> The VFR800 should have evolved into something like that..

• Member Contributer

Very nice Suzuki!  Love the bright blue and even the mocked up candy red. I would like a metal flake deep yellow myself. Really any color, just so very tired of black, grey, silver, gunmetal, white bikes and cars. 

Really like that Guzzi too, just wish it had factory luggage. 

3 hours ago, VFR80025th said:

I think I would prefer the bars a tad lower a la VFR.

Colors are underwhelming, maybe a silver or even white would have been nice.

Interesting machine though.

Looks like the fairing rules out putting clipon adapters on it

• Member Contributer

I think the big black hunk of fairing around the radiator is hideous. I think it may be meant to look like a bastardized MotoGP downforce wing.   Otherwise, it's a decent looking bike, though I'm not into the angular Transformers look.  I'd still love to try it and the Ninja 1000SX out.  I looked for a 1000SX for several months, but none were within several hundred miles of me.  I pretty much gave up and decided I'd have my 6th gens forever.  

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, tbzep said:

I think the big black hunk of fairing around the radiator is hideous. I think it may be meant to look like a bastardized MotoGP downforce wing.   Otherwise, it's a decent looking bike, though I'm not into the angular Transformers look.  I'd still love to try it and the Ninja 1000SX out.  I looked for a 1000SX for several months, but none were within several hundred miles of me.  I pretty much gave up and decided I'd have my 6th gens forever.  

Agree about that black fairing, doesn’t help the looks at all. 

For years I had been trying to find a Kawasaki demo near me that I could attend to try the Ninja 1000. Finally did a few weeks ago. Other than the tech and a bit more comfort it didn’t wow me liked I hoped it would. What I did get a big kick from was the 900RS. 

• Member Contributer

I think its ugly but am glad to see Suzuki throw their hat into the ring, hopefully this inspires Honda to think about coming out with something, maybe a new VFR we can hope. 

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, VifferJ said:

I think its ugly but am glad to see Suzuki throw their hat into the ring, hopefully this inspires Honda to think about coming out with something, maybe a new VFR we can hope. 

I thought they already did.

spacer.png

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/further-confirmation-of-honda-nt1100/

Although I don't think it's what you (and I) were hoping for.

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, Calculon said:

Agree about that black fairing, doesn’t help the looks at all. 

For years I had been trying to find a Kawasaki demo near me that I could attend to try the Ninja 1000. Finally did a few weeks ago. Other than the tech and a bit more comfort it didn’t wow me liked I hoped it would. What I did get a big kick from was the 900RS. 

Was it a 2020-2021 1000SX?  I found some new 2019's still in showrooms in far away places, but the bike was redesigned for 2020 .  I think the Kawi spec's at 140 hp and 82 lbf torque where the Zook is showing 150 and 78 with 5 traction control modes (plus off) and 3 throttle modes.  It might be a tad bit more interesting to ride.   

Not terrible looking IMO, but the upper cowl and headlight combination looks like a duckbill.  Very odd looking.  But still better than the new Katana, which looks awful.

My biggest gripe at first glance is the lack of a centerstand.  Sport-touring motorcycles should have centerstands, especially chain-driven bikes.  😕 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tbzep said:

Was it a 2020-2021 1000SX?  I found some new 2019's still in showrooms in far away places, but the bike was redesigned for 2020 .  I think the Kawi spec's at 140 hp and 82 lbf torque where the Zook is showing 150 and 78 with 5 traction control modes (plus off) and 3 throttle modes.  It might be a tad bit more interesting to ride.   

Yes, it’s the latest model. Don’t misunderstand me, it was a fun and engaging bike and I needed to do two demo loops just to adjust to it and had far more fun the second try when I knew the route and bike better. The 900RS felt more torquey and responsive (more like a VFR) while the 1000SX was super smooth, maybe even a bit detached from road feel.  My thoughts after the demo rides were wishing Kawasaki would make the 900RS into a retro or neo-retro sport tourer, similar to the Guzzi posted above with the nice touring features of the 1000SX. 

• Member Contributer

Got my modern sport-tourer sorted already...could do with a taller screen and a bigger tank, but it is light, comfy and fun...

IMG_1982.jpg

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Terry said:

Got my modern sport-tourer sorted already...could do with a taller screen and a bigger tank, but it is light, comfy and fun...

IMG_1982.jpg

I gave one of these a go a few years ago at a demo event in Laconia. Loved it!  Such a great ride in every way. I’m not a fan of the design but you could say that about all Yamahas these days from my point of view but the bike was great. Talking with one of the Yamaha reps that owned one and his only negative comment was the range as you mentioned. It’s shockingly small to use as a tourer. 

At first I thought the new Suzuki in the original post above was a sneak preview or concept bike.  There's a particular website that claims to show new or future models, but sometimes it's just a mockup and not actually real.  But today I happened to be on Suzuki's website and the new bike is listed among the company's streetbikes.

That's not a knock on @VFR80025th or @slo1 of course!  I just didn't know the source of those photos.  I'm glad they posted them here.  😉

I think this new bike is looks pretty good, except for the headlights.  I can overlook the duckbill upper cowl design, but why are motorcycle companies so keen on putting weird looking headlights on so many new bikes?!

I like it, but I don't think they will sell well.  Maybe I'll buy one on clearance in a few years when my vfr is ready to retire.

The real question is how happy can you be with an inline 4 after years of riding a Honda v4?

On 9/24/2021 at 6:32 PM, Sparkie said:

The real question is how happy can you be with an inline 4 after years of riding a Honda v4?

I couldn't do it.   I bought a BMW boxer twin to replace my VFR.  And to be honest, I don't think I even considered any bikes with inline 4s when I was bike shopping last year.  I wanted a motorcycle with an engine that has some character.  I'm not saying I couldn't be happy with an inline 4, but I just prefer a more interesting engine.  😉 

• Member Contributer
On 9/23/2021 at 6:01 PM, Terry said:

IMG_1982.jpg

My buddy has an MT-10. I absolutely love the bike. He added the comfort seat and I convinced him to throw on a Madstad windscreen. It’s the most compelling, modern bike I’ve ridden. If Yamaha would just come out with a Tracer GT-10, I’d be all over one. 

On 9/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, TimC said:

I think this new bike is looks pretty good, except for the headlights.  I can overlook the duckbill upper cowl design, but why are motorcycle companies so keen on putting weird looking headlights on so many new bikes?!

Agreed. These tiny headlights are a safety issue, IMO. What I noticed about the MT-10 is the spread of light is non-existent. Without a sizable reflector, headlight performance suffers. Second, oncoming traffic only sees a slight sparkle, at a distance, meaning the motorcyclist is mostly invisible. I told my buddy he needs to figure out an auxiliary light setup, so he has a triangle of lighting for oncoming traffic to see. If it wasn’t for me knowing he was a motorcyclist, I wouldn’t know what he is either, the times I’ve met him on the road. Large reflectors create a sizable light source oncoming traffic will notice. 

As for the new Suzuki, I love the concept. That platform is a solid foundation and I believe it’s going to be a worthy bike to own and ride. Like some of the others, I’m not crazy about the leading edge of the nose. I think, the stylists could’ve done a better job with that area. 

The Guzzi looks as dated as the company, itself. The legacy and history thing is played out, as proven by their abysmal sales numbers. 

• Member Contributer
On 9/27/2021 at 1:38 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

My version of Sport Touring was heavy on Sport and not much on sight seeing...

Mr.RC45RapidTransit.jpg

MrRC45NevadaRoad11.JPG

I ABSOLUTELY love that front cowl and the round headlights. :wub:

• Member Contributer
On 9/27/2021 at 7:46 AM, ducnut said:

Agreed. These tiny headlights are a safety issue, IMO. What I noticed about the MT-10 is the spread of light is non-existent. Without a sizable reflector, headlight performance suffers. Second, oncoming traffic only sees a slight sparkle, at a distance, meaning the motorcyclist is mostly invisible. I told my buddy he needs to figure out an auxiliary light setup, so he has a triangle of lighting for oncoming traffic to see. If it wasn’t for me knowing he was a motorcyclist, I wouldn’t know what he is either, the times I’ve met him on the road. Large reflectors create a sizable light source oncoming traffic will notice. 

and if they do see the tiny lights, such small size would give impression that bike is further away than actual. Increases risk of them pulling out in front of you.

Archived