OOooooerr... Something's happened

So, there I was, minding my own business, when something happened to VFRD while I was away. Scary... Took me a while to get unlost.

Anyway, this may well be a "Hello!" + "Goodbye" sort of post. Probably accompanied by permanent flambeau (I *HATE* it when that happens:mad: )

T'other day, I rode the VFR for the first time in a couple of months. The last time before that was the day I quit my job. Yes, now I'm unemployed, because although I get food and board (and bored) being a Domestic Slave, I don't get paid. That's about an UnZud$90k drop in income, so the chances are, my beautiful blue 2001 VFR will be stuck on the selling forums here, once/if the warmer weather returns.

So, that's about it. The End of an Era, and all that. The first time in nearly 20 years I won't have a V4, and the first time in over 30 years without a bike. It'll be weird, as I've been riding for  43 years, so it'll be kinda like cutting off one of my hands. Oh well, c'est la vie, and all that.....

OH man, one thing you need to try and do, don't beat yourself up.  Hang onto that 5th gen while you can,  they don't make em like that one anymore,  so be tough on yourself on hanging on. we've all been there one time or another, just keep faith,   it will get better.

• Member Contributer

You know, selling your VFR will not likely get you far. They don't go for much these days where I live. Can you hang in there and weather the storm? Sorry about you losing your job though... 

C

• Member Contributer

Quitting your job sounds like you choose to; I hope so. For that is a hell of a lot better than being told..... 

18 hours ago, enzed_viffer said:

So, there I was, minding my own business, when something happened to VFRD while I was away. Scary... Took me a while to get unlost.

VFRD crashed. As part of the restoration Miguel applied a major software update and purged years of messages.

18 hours ago, enzed_viffer said:

...The last time before that was the day I quit my job. Yes, now I'm unemployed, because although I get food and board (and bored) being a Domestic Slave, I don't get paid. That's about an UnZud$90k drop in income, so the chances are, my beautiful blue 2001 VFR will be stuck on the selling forums here, once/if the warmer weather returns.

I wish you the very best with your situation.

• Member Contributer

Hmm...domestic slaves are obligated to not get bored or be boring so giving up the bike may interfere with your duties.

It's hard to put out quality stuff when you're missing key things that make you whole.

Best wishes for a smooth bounce back.

• 3 months later...

Well... it's true that selling the VFR won't net  much moolah, but on the other hand, the insurance and registration is expensive - about a third the value of the bike. Anyway, something else has happened that has now forced my hand (bike is now listed for sale). I've got summat wrong with my brain (Yeah - I Know; I meant MORE wrong than normal, smarty-pantses). Going to the GP tomorrow, to find out if it's summat like Early Onset Alzheimers, some sort of depression-related thing, or summat else. I keep doing mental things (MORE mental than normal), like going to the supermarket with a list, and buying other things and ignoring the list. Or asking the same question two or three times in a row. Or (the latest thing), packing up to go away, and arriving to find I'd packed everything except MY clothes. Oh well - I needed new underwear, socks and sweatshirt...
So, the nett result is She Who Must Be Obeyed says I must sell my bike. :(  Just in case I make a fatal mistake, I guess...

• Member Contributer

4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

I will drink a single malt to your health tonite sir!

Well put Dutchy, I second that! From one Jafa to another, best of luck Enzed.

So the upper case on "forgot to pack MY clothes" means you packed someone else's... Don't worry, crossdressing is widely accepted these days.

Chin up and if the world turns it's back on you, smack it on the bum!!

BOLA

A day we all don't want to see. Time just seems to pick up speed. I hope you find another hobby to entertain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

enzed - If it's any consolation to you I am in a similar situation wrt contemplating having to give riding away due to a dodgy back, which whatever I do gives me grief after riding.

I am sorry for you and I have enjoyed your many posts and flaming deaths over many years and have always valued your technical contributions whilst reverse engineering our wonderful bikes to sort out some quirky problem, either self inflicted or Honda inflicted.

There is a price to pay for success in longevity and it can be hard, some good things have to be sacrificed sensibly.  I feel your anguish and wish you well.

• Member Contributer

From a medical perspective, there are about a million things that need to be ruled out before a diagnosis of Alzheimer's, which is a diagnosis of exclusion.  Make sure your doc gives attention to potential confounding problems, including medications, alcohol, vitamin deficiencies, and a host of medical problems.  At least in the US, I have seen too many patients who managed to accumulate 10+ medications and clear up a lot with removal or reduction of the offending agents.  There are also several types of dementia, and each one should be considered. 

Be well, sir.  I appreciated a number of your posts over the years.  I hope I know when to walk away when it is my time.

Whelp, I sold my bike to a very nice Ukrainian gentleman this morning. He came to inspect it, sat on it, and said "Yes, I will buy this bike (before even test-riding it!). No negotiating, just sold.
He was so pleasant I gave him one of the two VFR hats I had made a few years ago.
Today I went and had a blood sample taken, which was interesting because as I was walking back to the car, my arm felt cold. Blood all down my arm.
A new experience; in over 25 years of blood donations, and many blood tests, I've never sprung a leak before. :wacko:

So, I dunno. This could well be the end of an era. I started riding in 1973, I've owned 8 bikes, all Hondas, and three of those were V4s. Dunno if I will ever get another one, but if my brain comes right, and my four wrecked spinal disks miraculously repair themselves, then who knows? At least in the meantime I will have a break from crashing, dying, bursting into flames, and dying all over again. I *HATE* it when that happens! :mad:

• Member Contributer

Congratulations and commiserations mate. I saw your TM ad, I'd say you sold for a pretty good price. Make sure you check in on us occasionally.

Cheers, Terry

32 minutes ago, Terry said:

Congratulations and commiserations mate. I saw your TM ad, I'd say you sold for a pretty good price. Make sure you check in on us occasionally.

Cheers, Terry

Thanks, Terry. A pity I never bothered to catch up with you for a ride or whatever before I sold the bike. My wife was happy with the price (which is the main thing), but I reckon I could probably have got more for it.
I was after a sale that wasn't long and drawn out, and it was pretty quick. Now I just have to sell all the other stuff: a whole bunch of Sena gear (love that stuff!); two helmets, two jackets, a whole bunch of gloves, wet-weather gear, back protector, tank bag, blah blah blah.
Or I could just enjoy my MotoGP subscription and procrastinate about everything else...

1 hour ago, enzed_viffer said:

crashing, dying, bursting into flames, and dying all over again.

If your riding days are over, I hope they are not, at least you survived the crashing and dying and burning.

Good wishes coming your way. :beer:

Archived