Vfr's Are Quiet* ?

raoufhakam

is it just me, or other fellow VFR owners seem to ask the same question:

..... is she quiet or a screamer?

having owned 2 CBRs before my VFR ('00 CBR600F4 w/ Hindle exhaust & '06 CBR600RR w/ Yoshimura exhaust), i frankly think/believe the VFR is somewhat quiet! my VFR came with a Delkvic slip-on when i bought it which has a nice tone to it when i start the bike and standing next to it but when i'm riding it, i mostly hear the cam gear whining (which sounds like meowing kittens when u let go off the throttle) but i barely only hear the exhaust tone when i wide open the throttle on acceleration.

by far i think my previous RR w/ Yoshimura sounds the best (deep idling growl, and furious scream above 10k rpm) but obnoxiously loud and annoying on long rides. but the VFR just nowhere nearly as loud (which i kinda like TBH) and at first was thinking of switching back to stock can but i'm happy with it,

so what do you think fellow VFR owners, do you think your VFR is loud, ok, quiet ? what exhaust system you got on yours?

7R91jyZ.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

raoufhakam, If you think it's QUIET now, the only way to tell if it's even running with the stock can is to look at the tach. I would also venture to say that 99% of the VFRD members don't want a furious scream. Most of us aren't in the "loud pipes save lives" crowd nor are most of us obnoxious-screaming-swarm-o-bees racers either. Yes, the VFR is quiet and while I did add a Leo Vince exhaust, I would rather focus on fast-n-smooth than hey look at me decibel levels.

• Member Contributer

Soooo... Mailman, if you are using 'me' there, shouldn't it read: "that (?) hey look at me decibel levels, mate'ey... ahhhhrrrrrrrrrrr!" :laugh:

LOL! (Maybe we should ask Pirate Rider Ben!!!)

ded

My 95 sounds quite sexy, especially on overrun as the burbling sound from the high right Staintune bounces back to my ears in the tight forest twisties I ride in..... Certainly not quiet though, but loud enough so everyone can notice the beautiful sounds it makes.....

• Member Contributer

Soooo... Mailman, if you are using 'me' there, shouldn't it read: "that (?) hey look at me decibel levels, mate'ey... ahhhhrrrrrrrrrrr!" :laugh:

ded

thaN........Damned voice com crap! lol Just about the time I trust it, it goes putting words into my mouth....or pulling them out of my finger! Hey, anybody wanna pull my finger?

• Member Contributer

My 95 has the stock muffler but with an exhaust leak somewhere in the 18 year old pipes, it sounds louder than I like. I prefer the stealthness of the oem setup. I've only ever an aftermarket exhaust on any my 3 bikes, and that was my first one, a 1987 Kawasaki EX500. I put a Supertrapp muffler on it.

• Member Contributer

To respond to the original question--yes, I find the stock exhaust on the 6th gen to be deceptively quiet. I accidentally ran the bike up to 100 mph on my first day riding it because it was so quiet, smooth and planted. The only time it sounds like it's slightly angry is when the VTEC kicks in.

I've thought about getting an aftermarket exhaust, but everything I've read says there are very few ponies to be gained on the 6th gen, mostly it's better sound. Much as I like the sound of many of the bikes with aftermarket pipes, I have too much Scottish blood to spend $1,500 just for the sound. I have been sorely tempted though ... I heard a lovely set of Laser exhausts in Nelson a few years ago. But that's $940 USD just for the pipes ... I'm guessing a Power Commander and some other mods would be necessary to get it all working properly.

To respond to the original question--yes, I find the stock exhaust on the 6th gen to be deceptively quiet. I accidentally ran the bike up to 100 mph on my first day riding it because it was so quiet, smooth and planted. The only time it sounds like it's slightly angry is when the VTEC kicks in.

I've thought about getting an aftermarket exhaust, but everything I've read says there are very few ponies to be gained on the 6th gen, mostly it's better sound. Much as I like the sound of many of the bikes with aftermarket pipes, I have too much Scottish blood to spend $1,500 just for the sound. I have been sorely tempted though ... I heard a lovely set of Laser exhausts in Nelson a few years ago. But that's $940 USD just for the pipes ... I'm guessing a Power Commander and some other mods would be necessary to get it all working properly.

yeah, "accidentally", i like that :pinocchio:

i too "accidentally" ran my VFR to 220 km/h (137 mph) yesterday :woohoo:

mine is a 5th gen so i cant speak much about sound/performance of the 6th, but i personally think the stock pipes looks better than any aftermarket pipe on the 6th :warranty:

• Member Contributer

I've been considering this aspect of VFRs for quite a while. I'm surprised it has not come up more often. I have noticed how quiet sixth gen stock exhaust are.

On the other hand, my fifth gens, with stock exhaust, are another matter. Everywhere I ride, if I look in my rearview mirrors, most traffic behind me falls as much as one quarter to one third of a mile behind me. Much if the time the traffic behind me is almost out of sight. After a little consideration, it is obvious to me that they feel compelled to slow down to avoid all the noise, from both the exhaust noise as well as the gear whine. When I had Staintune, without the plug, it was much worse. Even with the plug in, on the highway the traffic void behind me was noticeable.

Has no one else noticed this?

Fifth gens are not at all quiet! At least from other motorist's point of view.

But from a riders viewpoint, esp. with earplugs, the sound is intoxicating

• Member Contributer

I've been considering this aspect of VFRs for quite a while. I'm surprised it has not come up more often. I have noticed how quiet sixth gen stock exhaust are.

On the other hand, my fifth gens, with stock exhaust, are another matter. Everywhere I ride, if I look in my rearview mirrors, most traffic behind me falls as much as one quarter to one third of a mile behind me. Much if the time the traffic behind me is almost out of sight. After a little consideration, it is obvious to me that they feel compelled to slow down to avoid all the noise, from both the exhaust noise as well as the gear whine. When I had Staintune, without the plug, it was much worse. Even with the plug in, on the highway the traffic void behind me was noticeable.

Perhaps they were fading into the distance because of you wringing your wrist...

GDC!!!! :wheel:

It's only as loud as the exhaust you put on it~

I think that does sound a bit louder/deeper than mine (i'll try to upload a video tomorrow)

I also thought that 98-99 (no cat) could be a bit louder than 00-01 (with cat), but again, my '06 CBR had cat but was way too loud.

though it seem the cat in the VFR is pretty big (size of a big lettuce head) compared to the compact-ish cat in the CBR (size of a can of pop)

ded

Ye would be correct! Don't forget the g in your AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHH! :goofy:

Seriously though I have that Delky pipe on my 5th gen and love it. Its plenty loud. Plenty.

-PRB

Obviously they slowed down to allow the deer room to get into position to run you over. :beer:

• Member Contributer

It's only as loud as the exhaust you put on it~

A friend of mine had me check out a '98 that had a D&D on it.

As I was driving around, they swore it was louder than my Wolf under seat system.

• Member Contributer

If you pull off the muffler/slipon whatever and start it it the loudest symphony you'll hear, made a couple mile ride like that was like a dragster but it made no power over 5k. After making my yoshi more stub like i still wish for a few more db's but it is what it is now and i still like it.

Archived