Vfr's Are Quiet* ?

raoufhakam

• Member Contributer

Do we need db meters for loudness comparisons? That Wolf did not sound that loud.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I think the standard is 1 meter 45 degrees out from center of the rear tire. I didnt find specific db meter angle so i went with db meter 90 degrees from the bike direction pointing across exhaust flow.

• Member Contributer

So, what dB's did you register... inquiring minds want to know!

• Member Contributer

I have yet to revisit things now with some miles. I only measured at idle and 3.5k but i was a little stunned at that point with no miles there was almost no difference between the yoshi as shipped and cut down in length. Although i measured in both hi/low ranges the high range came out as 93db idle and 103db 3.5k. To me it sounds different maybe deeper than before and i notice it more when passing cars. I may have used too much packing on the rebuild but dare i say i was afraid it being cut down stub like would be to loud. After this weekends riding maybe i will measure again for any change.

• Member Contributer

Try a Danmoto GP pipe and you won't think your VFR is quiet! Nice fit but obnoxiously loud.

• Member Contributer

One problem with measuring fifth gen noise is that while rev'ing in the parking lot, under no load, they are fairly quiet. However, under load at WFO, they sing a different tune. Beautiful but LOUD. Maybe all the deer I've ridden past in the past are now deaf and don't hear me coming any more.

• Member Contributer

I put a Staintune on my 5th gen. Loved it. Have the 'tunes on my 6th gen too. I will share that it took me a long time to do this, but the snorkel mod is highly recommended as the intake growl it gives is just ace. They work in concert to make our beloved V-4 what it is. Totally addictive, and btw, there is NO cure. :musik20:

• 4 weeks later...

I actually UN modded my airbox and put the stock pipe back on. I LOVE stealth mode. I can do whatever I like and pedestrians don't even turn their heads. And it still sounds fantastic. Of course be on your toes at all times making sure nobody steps out or pulls out in front of you while in stealth. But I can go through quiet neighborhoods without ruffling any feathers. I'm not on the planet to annoy people. That said I love to hear bikes at full howl. All bikes. Just not mine thanks.

I gave my pipe and modded airbox lid to an inmate. Waiting for pics!

I actually UN modded my airbox and put the stock pipe back on. I LOVE stealth mode. I can do whatever I like and pedestrians don't even turn their heads. And it still sounds fantastic. Of course be on your toes at all times making sure nobody steps out or pulls out in front of you while in stealth. But I can go through quiet neighborhoods without ruffling any feathers. I'm not on the planet to annoy people. That said I love to hear bikes at full howl. All bikes. Just not mine thanks.

what kinda "airbox mod" you had? just removing the snorkel and unplugging flapper valve? or was there something more sophisticated done to it?

what kinda "airbox mod" you had? just removing the snorkel and unplugging flapper valve? or was there something more sophisticated done to it?

The snorkel was gone and the flapper was gone and the flapper valve was gone. That's the way I received the bike. The intake was VERY loud and raspy sounding. I have no need for the extra bit of power. I got plenty enough for me. And the air intake is still plenty noisy really.

I picked up a complete box on ebay for 12 bucks shipped. Found the flapper hose hanging with a screw in the end. All back to stock in 10 minutes.

When I buoght my 5th gen it came whit a DINO muffler that had no stamps that s was legal, so a race can. My 2000 5th gen has a catalyst that take some sound off also, and it had a nice sound that I tought was not to loud. Then the carbonfiber scheld broke and I replaced it whit a stock muffler that I got cheap even it was like new. Now as I start the bike and as I ride to work in the mornings, wife before woke up, but the first morning I had the stock exhaust on she didn´t and wounder how far I pushed the bike before I fired it up, so yes, its loud whit a aftermarket open muffler. Also the cam gears are very loud on a 5th gen compare to other VFR´s (perhaps not the RC45 that have same design) and not just for the ones you ride past, also for you riding the 5th gen.

When I buoght my 5th gen it came whit a DINO muffler that had no stamps that s was legal, so a race can. My 2000 5th gen has a catalyst that take some sound off also, and it had a nice sound that I tought was not to loud. Then the carbonfiber scheld broke and I replaced it whit a stock muffler that I got cheap even it was like new. Now as I start the bike and as I ride to work in the mornings, wife before woke up, but the first morning I had the stock exhaust on she didn´t and wounder how far I pushed the bike before I fired it up, so yes, its loud whit a aftermarket open muffler. Also the cam gears are very loud on a 5th gen compare to other VFR´s (perhaps not the RC45 that have same design) and not just for the ones you ride past, also for you riding the 5th gen.

Very true. My girlfriend now sleeps through my leaving for work. I used to have to push the bike to the end of the driveway and go.

• Member Contributer

The snorkel was gone and the flapper was gone and the flapper valve was gone. That's the way I received the bike. The intake was VERY loud and raspy sounding. I have no need for the extra bit of power. I got plenty enough for me. And the air intake is still plenty noisy really.

I picked up a complete box on ebay for 12 bucks shipped. Found the flapper hose hanging with a screw in the end. All back to stock in 10 minutes.

I'm with you on the noise issue JG. When I bought my VFR a few months back it was bone stock, and I was keen to "unleash the beast within" sound-wise, so I bought a Delkevic slip-on, and I de-activated the flapper valve. While I like the "small block V8 on open pipes" sound-track, it gets tiresome after a while, so at present the Delkevic is hanging on the garage wall and the stock muffler is back in place. The really good thing about the VFR muffler set-up is that switching back to the noisy pipe is just a few minutes work, so when my inner child re-awakes I can easily indulge him. I should add that I put a new muffler gasket into the stock muffler and added plenty of copper anti-seize compound, so it is really easy to get on and off.

I tried the flapper deactivation for a few weeks and all it added was a more hollow intake sound at 3-4000, so I've put that back to stock too and don't think I'll bother with that any more. I guess I think of the VFR more as a gentleman's express, and I like it sophisticated and smooth rather than sounding like some racetrack refugee. YMMV.

I'm with you on the noise issue JG. When I bought my VFR a few months back it was bone stock, and I was keen to "unleash the beast within" sound-wise, so I bought a Delkevic slip-on, and I de-activated the flapper valve. While I like the "small block V8 on open pipes" sound-track, it gets tiresome after a while, so at present the Delkevic is hanging on the garage wall and the stock muffler is back in place. The really good thing about the VFR muffler set-up is that switching back to the noisy pipe is just a few minutes work, so when my inner child re-awakes I can easily indulge him. I should add that I put a new muffler gasket into the stock muffler and added plenty of copper anti-seize compound, so it is really easy to get on and off.

I tried the flapper deactivation for a few weeks and all it added was a more hollow intake sound at 3-4000, so I've put that back to stock too and don't think I'll bother with that any more. I guess I think of the VFR more as a gentleman's express, and I like it sophisticated and smooth rather than sounding like some racetrack refugee. YMMV.

Ya know I was listening to my bike idle as I was gearing up to come home around 9 PM. What a nice LOW deep thumpy rumble. You can't make these bikes sound bad. Just louder or softer.

Yes slip on's slip on in moments. Very cool. I decided I didnt want the temptation of switching back and forth so off the carbon can went to a new home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I know I posted this before but if the stock box is too quiet and as I found a desnorked, deflapped and deshelved box gets old quick with its loud overshadowing hollow sound. I now run this and love it, it compliments the sound of the bike without being overwhelming, its a shortened shelf and snorkel, still no flap.

post-24095-0-58066200-1407711088.jpg

post-24095-0-56548900-1407711107.jpg

Considering I am open cat, with completely hollowed out aftermarket cans... it's kinda loud. I absolutely love it though. it's STILL quiet on trips. I can't hear it over wind @ 70 so who cares.

Put a Jardine slip on that I got from a member here a few years ago.

A bit louder than stock VFR, but not bad. :smile2:

My aprilias are somewhat louder. The '07 was way too quiet stock.

A pair of GPR cans took care of that. Thunder! :woohoo:

Before I installed them you could look straight through to daylight.

Good thing they included metal cones with lots of holes in them for "DB killers". :laughing6-hehe:

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is fairly loud with the Staintune on it. WIth the baffle in it, I can ride around town without making too much of a racket, but if I hit 5k rpm all hell breaks loose. It gets really raunchy.

It's a pain in the ass riding in the city without the baffle in as the sound bounces off everything and gives me a headache. Plus it is obnoxiously loud. People wil turn and stare as I ride past.

I rode past a police station one afternoon and there were about 8 plod standing outside having a discussion. No baffle in the bike I rode past, nice and gentle. They all turned to look and watched me ride past. I was waiting for a car to come after me.

Saying all that, I do love the sound it makes.

Archived