Not Again! Another Deer Slayed! Better Outcome This Time.

• Member Contributer

More proof of the animal attraction of 5th gens. While riding from Minneapolis to Duluth to Aerostich to exchange my new Transit Pants for a different size, a deer appeared mid-road and, with no time to adequately respond, I nailed the 100 lb. forest rat in the neck. I was on a narrow two-lane road, MN23 northbound, going about 60 mph. I was very much aware I was in deer country, keeping a watchful eye on the shoulders. I must have glanced in my mirror or been looking at my speedometer, or some momentary glance away from straight ahead because I did not see it come out of the ditch. First I saw was the deer in the on-comming lane with it's head at the centerline. Then we were eye-to-eye; then my front cowl explodes, then I feel a huge impact against my left side (ankle to shoulder) and a large wobble in the clipons. First thought: Oh no! Not again! Second thought: I didn't go down!

I came out of it quiet well considering last time (nine broken bones, five days in the hospital, and two surgeries - three monts of no riding). I only broke my pinky finger on my left hand. Four weeks in a splint.

My '01 's front cowl area is totally smashed above the fender and ahead of steering head. No sign of the headlight, other than a few slivers; the rest must be imbedded in the deer.

The Highway Patrolman responding drove me and my hard bags drove me to a near-by hospital where x-rays revealed a severly broken left pinky finger. Doc says we need to pull on and straighten it. He finally persuaded me to allow it without a nerve block, so I extended my hand toward the doc and he passed it to his observing student.

Doc: "Pull hard on it."

Me: "OH NO! THE ROOKIE'S GOING TO DO IT! OW! NOW IT REALLY HURTS!"

Doc: (To the student) "Did you feel it pop?"

Student: "No."

Me: "Now I DO need a block."

Doc: "Okay."

They left the room and after a minute the pain subsided and I stepped ont of the room to tell the doc. He said the finger needed further adjustment and they were getting the needle ready. Two injections, one to each side of the wound, and I was free of pain. The finger was manipulated and splinted and I was discharged. Four weeks in a splint with a chance of small impairment. Doc said it should not be significant. "The least important bone in your body."

So I've got that going for me. :ph34r:

I do have a backup '00. I will be going to T-Mac.

MaxSwell DeerSlayerII :wheel: :3:

• Member Contributer

Terry, good to hear you are basically ok after an actual deer hit.

Strange to think, but could it be you didn't overreact because you experienced before? How does one smash the front of the bike and not go down? Your last account was rather scary. Hope your finger heals well.

• Member Contributer

I distinctly remember thinking "I've seen this on youtube." A Yamaha sportbike rider with a helmet cam is shown hitting a deer on his right side and remaining upright. He was able to ride away.

Terry, good to hear you are basically ok after an actual deer hit.

Strange to think, but could it be you didn't overreact because you experienced before? How does one smash the front of the bike and not go down? Your last account was rather scary. Hope your finger heals well.

Could be. If I'd have locked up the brakes I'd have surely gone down. But the bike seemed to take care of itsself. I just needed to Stay Out Of The Way?! (Viewed from hindsight.)

Man, they have it out for you! So glad that this one was nothing like the last one. How long until you heart stopped racing?!

It did not stop racing until I changed my underware. Threw the old ones into the woods, along with the deer.

BTW The patrolman said the rat was probably not eatable. They haul them into the woods for other animals to eat. I'd like to join them for a bite.

Dude you are like a serial target for pine rats... seems like the word got out amongst the rat community and they're beatin' down on MaxSwell... either that or you got some kind of deer-pheromone emmission problem.

So good to read the good news this time around.

(If you go down to the woods today...)

• Member Contributer

Wtf??

Broken finger 4 weeks splint

Ripped tendon in finget, 8 weeks splint....

• Member Contributer

Next time this happens they are going to ask to see your hunting license...

Glad you are much better than last time.

I've been thinking that it would be great to ride with you again at Tmac. Then I read this and thought, maybe not. After some more thought, I think it will be ok. I'll be safe from dear strikes if I ride anywhere near you. :goofy:

Glad you're not broken agian Terry.

SELL - or give away both your bikes, NOW - and buy a big SUV, perhaps a Hummer H1, diesel engine, self inflating tires, etc..... WOW. Glad you are ok - but man - you have got to stay away from the deer!!!

• Member Contributer

I see an honorary award in the near future with your title on it.

Shitty situation, but glad to hear about the result. Looking forward to seeing you at TMac.

• Member Contributer

Not too many deer around here but I have watched a few jumpers on tour. Not sure what you can do except go slow.....behind, ahead does not make a difference does it. I think my Wing would be a better exterminator.

I saw at least five of these critters on one short cruise on RT2 in Washington State a few years back.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1038767.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice of you to thin the herdfor the rest of us here in MN. Seriously, glad you came through it (relatively) okay. Heal quickly!

Glad it wasn't worse. Maybe a scaled down train cow catcher would be in order in deer country.

Something to just biff them off to the side, a deer deflector or guard.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. I'm sort of embarrassed about it, actually. I plan to not make it a habbit. In spite of how it looks.

• Member Contributer

Wow - what are the odds . . . ?? :wacko: Once was bad enough. There must be a secret society of deer where they go to the meetings and take suicide oaths. Glad to hear that you're (relatively) unscathed. Maybe it's time for a sixth gen!

• Member Contributer

Terry, I can't believe the furry bastards got you again, but I'm glad you fared better this time.

Maybe when you have your fairing repaired you should consider some modifications:

1aweird-machine-gun-bike.jpg

Archived