How May K's Are You Running On Your Synthetic Motor Oil?

I am running Mobile 1 10W40 engine oil and am interested in how many kilos fellow VFR riders are riding between changes? I did search the site for an answer to this question but was unsuccessful; my apologies if I did not look hard enough! Regardless, I look forward to your feedback. Paying $100 for a six quart pack makes running this oil expensive, but worth the money. Thank you in advance for your input!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

One year normally as I don't do enough miles to need to change it in a year.

When I was riding all the time as a bike courier, regardless of the bike or service schedule, I always used to change oil every 2500miles (circa 4K/Km) and change filter on every other oil change AKA 5000miles.

Now I'll do 5K miles on a full synthetic oil without any worries. YMMV.

I never had an oil or wear related problem on any bike I ever owned & always used good quality oil. if moneys tight put it in the oil & miss a service etc, but never use cheap oil, its cheap for a reason ! If you do have to use cheap oil, never push it to the service limits

6 - 10 thou depending on brand or quality of oil, time of year, style of riding (ie city, commute, long trips, track days, racey or laid back).

Track day means, if close to scheduled change, new oil before entering and after, in any case always after. If on long trip at relaxed pace will push envelope to change at home.

I used to change filter every time. Now I have a washable reusable oil filter so it still gets "changed" every time but I've always got a new filter on hand. Lol

the first two months I had the bike I put 8,000 miles on it....did the first change early but since I was on the road so much I probably went 5,000 miles on the next one.

on average, between 3k and 4k miles.

$100 for a 6 qt pack?!

Mobil 1 is cheap here....Walmart sells a 5 qt jug for around $22 - $25.

• Member Contributer

$100 does seem steep. I run 5k miles between synthetic oil changes in all my vehicles, but that is more so I'll remember more than anything else.

The manual for my 3rd gen specifies either 6k or 8k. the oil now has got to be better. I don't think its really particular.

• Member Contributer

Running around 5000 miles with Castrol Syntech 10W-40.

If I had to pay $100 for 6 quarts of oil, I'd be changing brands before I'd buy any more. Actually I'd change oil brands before I'd pay that ridiculous price.

• Member Contributer

Are you guys experiencing any clutch slippage with the automotive synthetics that are rated as "energy efficient" and may or do contain friction modifiers?

I run Mobil 1 15W-50 and that does not have friction modifiers or at least it doesn't say it does.

• Member Contributer

What average temps are you running in the summertime at normal highway speeds? Do they seem to be a bit higher than what you would like?

The reason I ask is that I have run a 20W-50 oil in other bikes and it seems to create a rise in operating temperatures. Just wondering if yours is doing similar with the 15W-50.

I realize it's synthetic but still wondering.

If I had to pay $100 for 6 quarts of oil, I'd be changing brands before I'd buy any more. Actually I'd change oil brands before I'd pay that ridiculous price.

$100 does seem steep. I run 5k miles between synthetic oil changes in all my vehicles, but that is more so I'll remember more than anything else.

The manual for my 3rd gen specifies either 6k or 8k. the oil now has got to be better. I don't think its really particular.

the first two months I had the bike I put 8,000 miles on it....did the first change early but since I was on the road so much I probably went 5,000 miles on the next one.

$100 for a 6 qt pack?!

Everything is expensive in OZ! Gas is over $6 a gallon, a six pack of Budweiser is $15. On top of that the Aussie dollar is only worth about .88 of the US dollar. Am loving the opportunity to live here, and at the same time am looking forward to moving back to the US in 2015.

Thank you for everyone's comments!!

• Member Contributer

I run Mobil 1 15w50 automotive synthetic. I don't get any clutch slippage. We used to call it "Mobil 1 red cap" here on VFRD in the old days until they changed the cap color. It had a very big following. Then it disappeared from Walmart shelves for a while. We were sad. Now it's back in select Walmart stores, but many of us old VFRD guys that ran it aren't here any more. Maybe they will come back like the oil did. :happy:

I run it because it makes the bike shift super smooth. I change oil when shifting gets pretty clunky. Mileage varies. I don't think I've ever changed it before 4,000 miles (not counting first oil change), and it's usually longer.

I run Mobil 1 15w50 automotive synthetic. I don't get any clutch slippage. We used to call it "Mobil 1 red cap" here on VFRD in the old days until they changed the cap color. It had a very big following. Then it disappeared from Walmart shelves for a while. We were sad. Now it's back in select Walmart stores, but many of us old VFRD guys that ran it aren't here any more. Maybe they will come back like the oil did. :happy:

I run it because it makes the bike shift super smooth. I change oil when shifting gets pretty clunky. Mileage varies. I don't think I've ever changed it before 4,000 miles (not counting first oil change), and it's usually longer.

I now run Mobil 1 synthetic Motorcycle oil for 4 cylinder bikes.

your post reminded me why...... The bike shifts much better with the Mobil 1 oil. I can't remember have a shift hang on me at speed or any false neutrals with the Mobile 1. I was using Castrol Synthetic before moving on to the Mobil 1 and Motul Synthetic before that. With both of those brands, the bike did not shift as well with hung shifts/false neutrals that got worse with miles....

I guess my 4th gen loves Mobil 1....

I try to chane my oil and filter every season, at least once, regardless of miles.

• Member Contributer

Using Mobil 1 0-W40 European Car forumula. No where does it say energy conserving, but who knows. I'm on my second change with it on my CB1000R, which of course has a stinky inline-4. One day I was riding and thought I felt the clutch slip, but it could have been the rear tire :sleep: . I go about 4k miles with the full synthetics. Before I was using Rotella T6 full synthetic, but the shifting with the Mobil 1 is remarkably smoother. Long time ago I was using Mobil 1 4T, but I can't remember how smooth is was comparatively.

7500 miles, Amsoil 10-40. Dealer put some garbage Hondalube in it (even though I told them not to change the oil) and I couldn't believe how jerky the shifts were. Drained it immediately.

$100 for a 6 qt pack?!

Everything is expensive in OZ! Gas is over $6 a gallon, a six pack of Budweiser is $15. On top of that the Aussie dollar is only worth about .88 of the US dollar. Am loving the opportunity to live here, and at the same time am looking forward to moving back to the US in 2015.

Thank you for everyone's comments!!

I feel your pain... my last two Guzzis were spec'd to run Motorex 20w-60 (or Agip)....which is $19/liter. Took 3.6 qts so you had to buy 4.....add a $10 filter and you were talking an $80 oil do it yourself oil change.

The air/oil cooled heads did appreciate the good oil though....and I used the same in my KTM RFS dirtbikes.

I worked down there a few years ago (east of Melbourne) and went to the big bike show.....was blown away by the prices of new bikes.

The good part was that you saw a lot of vintage iron on the roads in good shape and well cared for.

• Member Contributer

Mr.RC45 has over 57K miles and those are miles not in moderation
either... since 98 I've been running Mobil 1 10W30 Energy Conserving
oil 365 days a year and in 2011 just before my annual pilgrimage to
MotoGp at Laguna Seca in the heat of July I switched over to Mobil 1
0W 30... I have ran my choice in viscosity for as long as recommended
oil change interval of 8K and as low as 600 miles for a Blackstone
comparison test between Amsoil 10W30 and Mobil 1 0-30...

5 quart jug for $27 at Walmart

post-3131-0-56566600-1389250598.jpg

Archived