How May K's Are You Running On Your Synthetic Motor Oil?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a seventh gen. DCT , go about 3,000 mi. on Red Line 10w-30 fully synthetic motorcycle oil. Final drive never goes more than 1,000 mi. on Red Line 80w motorcycle gear oil with shockproof. (the blue stuff) post-24365-0-76032400-1390057478.jpg

• Member Contributer

I thought the whole idea of shaft drive was minimal maintenance. Lots of people go farther without touching their chains!

• Member Contributer

Maybe he is trying to get in front of the issue Honda has had with final drive failure(s) on the 7th gen?

• Member Contributer

Damned expensive way to go about it: 1000 mile oil change of synthetic gear lube.

Was it a widespread problem, and was there a factory fix and/or warranty repair?

Just 1K miles between final drive oil changes?? :wacko:

:unsure: We've seen a few instances of final drive failures with the 7th gen on this forum,.......... but I don't think they are that bad... :unsure:

I think you should just buy more tankfuls of gas for your bike and have more miles of fun on it instead....

i change my final drive lube at 8000 miles with BelRay 80W Gear Saver.... no problems...engine oil and filter every 3000 m... BelRay also

I change engine oil and filter together with final drive oil every 12k km (7.5k miles) as suggested by Honda (for engine) and by myself (for final drive).

Up to now (60k km) no problem at all.

All oils full synthetic (SAE 5W-40 API SM-Jaso MA2 for engine, SAE 75W-140 API GL-5 for final drive)

One quart of gear oil ?

200 cc when replacing the oil, 240 cc after disassembling.

The cost of final drive oil is near zero, so I prefer to change it every time I change the engine oil.

I know that a lot of people do the same, also in this forum.

• Member Contributer

One quart of gear oil ?

200 cc when replacing the oil, 240 cc after disassembling.

The cost of final drive oil is near zero, so I prefer to change it every time I change the engine oil.

I know that a lot of people do the same, also in this forum.

Gotcha i would change it every time to ...

final drive oil isn't subjected to anywhere near the temperatures that the engine oil sees in the cylinders and combustion chamber

final drive oil isn't subjected to anywhere near the temperatures that the engine oil sees in the cylinders and combustion chamber

So, the main thing degrading it is shear? Hypoid type gears = more shear?

What if one increases the volume of oil in the system to extend oil's life?

• Member Contributer

The drive will still generate a certain amount of heat due to the nature of a 90° drive. Gear oil is thick, and will generate heat, and will not shed heat easily. I've heard that gear oil running over 250°-275° can start to break down. With only a cup of oil to break down, it wouldn't take long get in bad shape IMO.

I cannot swear to the veracity of the thermal breakdown, but that's what I've read.

Gear oil is designed to resist the shear of gears so that isn't so much the problem as the break down due to heat would be my guess. Although a cup of oil sure doesn't do much to give me the warm fuzzies in any case..

Never fails... Somebody always worry wayyy too much about things.

The final drive gear oil sees neither the high temps nor combustion byproducts that engine oil does. This is why the final drive gear oil service interval is specified much longer.

I have pointed an infrared temp gun at the final shaft assembly right after a long right in the dead heat of the Houston summer here, and no part of the entire drive shaft + SSSA got any higher than 180F, IIRC. And I suspect most of that temp came from the engine heat been purged and routed under the bike toward the back (and away from the rider is the intent I'm sure).

Lastly, the one shaft failure I read about on these forums appear to have occured on the drive shaft, not at the bevel gears.

Would it hurt to change that gear oil sooner than Honda specified? Of course not. Personally, I've got way too many vehicles and their "scheduled" maintenance already - not to mention all the farkling that I punish myself with. Last thing I have time for is more maintenance than what is necessary. But, hey... don't let me spoil your paranoia.

• Member Contributer

So, the main thing degrading it is shear? Hypoid type gears = more shear?

What if one increases the volume of oil in the system to extend oil's life?

Overfilling gearboxes with too much oil generates more heat... You would need to develop some sort of reservoir and that would create more unsprung weight or a hose system...

besides, to the best of my knowledge, the failures I read about weren't related to oil break down but quality breakdown at Honda... at least that was the buzz from the Euro websites and I think they had more failures across the pond.

Archived