Vote On What Gen The 2014 Vfr Is

AB-Oz

434 members have voted

1. 1. What Gen is it?

• its a 6.3
    • its an 8
    • its something else
    • i dont care

There have actually only been THREE versions of the VFR800. The first was released in '98, the second in '02 and now the third in '14 if you want to categorize them by the 800cc nomer.

Prior to that they were 750s, so you're way offside there.

There have not been 7 generations of 800s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The VFR has always been around a 750 middleweight bike. Jeez the 800 is 781 if you wanna get picky. That's why the 1200 doesnt count.

• Member Contributer

The VFR has always been around a 750 middleweight bike. Jeez the 800 is 781 if you wanna get picky. That's why the 1200 doesnt count.

Except when it wasn't...when it was a 400, 500, 1000 and 1200...just read page three of this thread as all arguments for and against were made there and JZH posts states the primary reason for the confusion, the US started the "Gen" thing and ignored VFR's that were not available here as part of the nomenclature.

This bike could be the 13thGen but unlike US textbooks we cannot revise history (especially a history so recent and fresh) so it is the 8th Gen.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure I read somewhere that Honda call the new VFR800 the 6th Generation?

• Member Contributer

Link?

• Member Contributer

Who at Honda? I've seen UK bike journos using a different "generation" nomenclature (in MCN a few weeks ago and just recently in the article Dutchy uploaded), but the only time I've ever seen Honda use the term "generation" was in relation to the Fireblade series (in an article posted on Honda Japan's Worldwide site). I'd be happy if Honda did "fix" the somewhat flawed US generation "system", but it would totally screw up about 15 years of VFR history in the USA!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Link?

Sorry, itwas just a hazy recollection from an article somewhere. Highly unlikely I'll remember where.

Has anyone seen a 2014 VFR800 in person yet? I've seem a few vids on Youtube from the press introduction in Spain, which were nice. I checked most of the Honda dealers in the Western New York area and none have one on the floor. I was told that they can be ordered and should be able to get one in the dealership in a week to ten days.

My favorite dealer said that he is a little hesitant to put one on the floor - worried its a lot of cash for a warmed over model. I'd really like to see one in person!

Thanks!

We have the first owner of a new one already over here in Spainand there have been multiple test days where the public is invited to test them out... good reviews so far.

• Member Contributer

My local dealer called last week to say the demonstrator was now available for test riding, but I was out of town last weekend. This weekend is a 3-day weekend, so I doubt I'll get a slot, but that reminds me to call him...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Has anyone seen a 2014 VFR800 in person yet? I've seem a few vids on Youtube from the press introduction in Spain, which were nice. I checked most of the Honda dealers in the Western New York area and none have one on the floor. I was told that they can be ordered and should be able to get one in the dealership in a week to ten days.

My favorite dealer said that he is a little hesitant to put one on the floor - worried its a lot of cash for a warmed over model. I'd really like to see one in person!

Thanks!

You haven't read my test ride report?

• 3 weeks later...

The "FIRST ROAD TEST" of the new VFR800 in MCN (our one, not your one) included a timeline at the bottom detailing the VFR through history, in which they unhelpfully used "generation" terminology, but of course, differently than the way it has been used in the USA for ages.

It actually made more sense, though, because the US one has always been messed up in the 1st/2nd places... ,

I agree it makes more sense, just it is not used commonly, therefore as about helpful as Esperanto :) ... especially on this great forum.

Wait, were does the RC30 fall then, if the '86-'87 Was Gen 1, '88-'89 Gen 2, '90-'93 Gen 3, what does that make the RC? It was a VFR750R, maybe Gen 0 since it came out first? ('86 in Japan if I remember correct).

Nothing makes sence, even the name V-Four ROAD 750 RACE.

Even the V does not make sense, except for the 1200. The others are all 90 degrees, makes them right angles, not a V ... Albeit a right angle that is not perpendicular .... I love this argument, completely pointless .... Yet if anyone asked, I believe I own a Gen 1 and a Gen 7 and think I want to trade the Street Triple on a Gen 8, it is so good looking ... But NZ still does not have it ;(

LOL, the 1200 is called a VFR by Honda, guess what, that makes it a VFR not an ST, and its the 7th Gen.

The 2014 is the 8th Gen, democratically endorsed, end of story :goofy:

+ 1

• Member Contributer

I have this rule... if I can't decide between two things, I get the red one. But the new VFR in white might make me re-think that.

John2710, where's your license plate?

I wanted to make a blur in photoshop but then I noticed content aware feature and tried it. After that i liked the result without license plate. I thik it would be nice to have shorter plate holder.

• Member Contributer

I saw two last weekend up on Angeles Crest Highway. I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen!

IMG_1586_zps66808cac.jpg

IMG_1585_zpseb5e92b6.jpg

IMG_1588_zps14be9653.jpg

Oh yeah, and one of these "old" things...

IMG_1589_zps880c66ec.jpg

• Member Contributer

I still think it's a shame that beautiful rear wheel is covered by that big chrome garbage can. If I could put those wheels on my bike.... :wub2:

I saw two last weekend up on Angeles Crest Highway. I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen!

IMG_1588_zps14be9653.jpg

Oh yeah, and one of these "old" things...

Stuff the 8th gen… thats a SAAB Sonnet in the background!

Archived