• its something else
    • i dont care

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
NSRs are also V-twins, as are XLs.

NSR-500 was a V-4, and NS-500 was a two stroke V-3.

NSR-250 was the only V-twin I can recall.

NSR-150 was a single.

NSR-125 was a single.

NSR-50 was a single.

All of the XL's for a couple of decades were singles.

AFIK, the Transalp was the first V-twin XL bike, the XL600V, released in the mid 80's. Since then they've upped its displacement to make it the XL650V and the XL700V. Starting around 2000, they came out with the Varadero XL125V and the XL1000V based on the Superhawk VT1000F 996cc motor. I don't recall them ever being imported to the USA. All the other conventional V-twins I can think of have been designated NT and VT...and then there are the CX and GL transverse V-twins made famous on the CX-500Turbo and GL500/650 Silverwing (before the scooter).

Sorry if this has been hashed out already. I didn't feel like reading through the complete thread.

• Member Contributer

Sure, but the NSR500 was not a Honda...it was an HRC! (Let's not mix up Honda production models with HRC prototypes, shall we?) Maybe you meant NS400R, the production 2-stroke triple?

Anyway, my point (which you have helped prove) was that Honda has never religiously stuck to any kind of "rule" that connected engine configuration with model names or model prefixes. They're all over the board. It's senseless to see patterns where there clearly are none.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I meant all of the NSR's. There's only a handful. The only twin, the NSR250 was also HRC. If we use your logic of HRC being a completely separate entity instead of a division of Honda, then Honda never made an NSR twin at all. The Thailand/Taiwan Honda NSR150 and smaller Honda NSR's were singles. :491:

As to the second point, you're dead on. It seems like different groups over the years jumped back and forth between naming bikes based on engine configuration or intended use or some combination. The XL/XR series used to be single cyl. off-road bikes which they sometimes put lights and blinkers on. More recent big-wigs evidently thought the Transalp should be an XL instead of a VT, even though it is more on-road than off. Makes you want to sit down with them and say, "WTF?" :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Well, the NSR250R, MC18, MC21 and MC28 2-stroke twins were all Honda production models; they were not made by HRC (despite the stickers on some of the race reps). I have the (Honda) parts books to prove it!

94_250SP_rothmans.jpg

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

^^^^^^^

Soooo hot, want to touch the heinie.

Smokin', one might say.... :cool:

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This post is well on its way to a quarter-million views. Honda - ARE YOU WATCHING? Think there's not much interest in the VFR in North America? There is if you get it right!!!

• Member Contributer

This post is well on its way to a quarter-million views.  Honda - ARE YOU WATCHING?  Think there's not much interest in the VFR in North America?  There is if you get it right!!!

The new 800 *is* coming to the US. It should sell well enough (probably better than the 1200).

• Member Contributer

This post is well on its way to a quarter-million views. Honda - ARE YOU WATCHING? Think there's not much interest in the VFR in North America? There is if you get it right!!!

The new 800 *is* coming to the US. It should sell well enough (probably better than the 1200).

I know I dont know everything but instead of VFR1200 I think something like ST1200R would have been better .

• 2 weeks later...

What's this I see about a dry-bone non-ABS version and a deluxe one with all the hi-tech stuff?

We don't get a low-tech version offered here in euroland.

Oh that's right, we're all rolling in it over here, we don't need a cheaper version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll have another look at this bike when they offer it in Red White and Blue. Looking at the CBR250 in RWB has me thinking the new one might really rock those colors. A bump in displacement might just close the deal too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I think since 6gen has been sold in other countries to date ..this is just a updated...newer 6 gen

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

By this logic it would be the 3rd gen or so...as the 94-97 are just updated 90-93 models and the 2002-2009 are just updated 1998-2001 models even down to the RC46 designation by mother Honda...

This bike has less in common with the 6G than exists between the 3G and 4G models.

• Member Contributer

The "FIRST ROAD TEST" of the new VFR800 in MCN (our one, not your one) included a timeline at the bottom detailing the VFR through history, in which they unhelpfully used "generation" terminology, but of course, differently than the way it has been used in the USA for ages.

It actually made more sense, though, because the US one has always been messed up in the 1st/2nd places...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The "FIRST ROAD TEST" of the new VFR800 in MCN (our one, not your one) included a timeline at the bottom detailing the VFR through history, in which they unhelpfully used "generation" terminology, but of course, differently than the way it has been used in the USA for ages.

It actually made more sense, though, because the US one has always been messed up in the 1st/2nd places...

Ciao,

Can you provide a link? I cant find one with my search engines...

• Member Contributer

Sorry, couldn't find it online, either, and I've already binned my copy. Basically, they had the '86-'89 VFR as the 1st gen, and the '90-'93 VFR as the 2nd gen.

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...

Bastard son or not, it's a 7th Gen VFR800. The 1200 would be 1st Gen VFR1200. So I vote for "It's something else". I always think it weird that we lambast a new model, it could be a new bike from the ground up & we would still put shit on it. Honda is 'not the 1st maker to utilise bits from other bikes. The VFR has shared many of its components from other models & vice versa. The VFR's, great bikes that they are, don't sell in huge volumes & I think it's a credit to Honda that they are keeping it going.

The 1200's on the other hand?, they have just reduced the price over here by $10000.

Archived