1. 1. What Gen is it?

• its a 6.3
    • its an 8
    • its something else
    • i dont care

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares? I agree with Privateer (pg 1). It looks better than recent editions imo, but where's the modern front end suspension (to mention one nit pick)?

• Member Contributer

I was there!

We always sat at de Strubben :cool:

In 89, Mamola was pulling a wheelie to entertain the crowd in the warm up lap.

The one in front off us, well, we all know how that ended.... :goofy:

• 1 month later...

I agree with Privateer it appears to be an assemblage of shop parts. Now when you thank about it, if they are VFR shop part, then it would be some generation of a VFR. I thank Honda for trying to keep the badge alive. Most shop owners I have talked to say it is a hard product to move. Most shop owners add that when someone purchases a VFR, they return raving about what a great bike it is.

I think the 2014 will sell. There has been more media exposure on the 2014.

Much less.. there was a whole media build-up campaign for the 1200 which did not happen with the new 800... it just popped up like they were ashamed to admit it... surely went low key due to the recycling of chassis and motor...

• Member Contributer

Most shop owners I have talked to say it is a hard product to move. Most shop owners add that when someone purchases a VFR, they return raving about what a great bike it is.

That's always been a bit of a mystery to me. The V-4 seems like the best kept secret around. I'm just glad Honda has kept it alive.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

That's always been a bit of a mystery to me. The V-4 seems like the best kept secret around. I'm just glad Honda has kept it alive.

Agreed, but I wish that it was VTEC-less and had gear driven cams - says the 4th gen owner.

• 3 months later...

Haha, yeah, though honestly the VTEC doesn't bother me really.

I do still miss my '97 terribly. :sad:

Ha Ha why dont you pick up a used 4th gen then, and use it as a project bike, they are cheap now?

It would also give you a reality check.

I have a 95 which I have just frankenviffered and done just about everything too, and It is a great bike but it is easy to forget the crappy front brakes and suspension in standard form, honestly the 8th gen is a much better bike in every way out of the box, maybe a little too good and lacking the raw edge of the 4th gen but riding the 2 back to back really shows you that the new one is streets ahead in refinement

Even the vtec on this model is a non event and gone are the ridiculous linked brakes of the 5th and 6th gens and much better suspension.

Those that are waiting for gear driven cams to return, dont hold your breath, IMO

• Member Contributer

Ha Ha why dont you pick up a used 4th gen then, and use it as a project bike, they are cheap now?

I have a 95 which I have just frankenviffered and done just about everything too, and It is a great bike but it is easy to forget the crappy front brakes and suspension in standard form, honestly the 8th gen is a much better bike in every way out of the box, maybe a little too good and lacking the raw edge of the 4th gen but riding the 2 back to back really shows you that the new one is streets ahead in refinement

Even the vtec on this model is a non event and gone are the ridiculous linked brakes of the 5th and 6th gens and much better suspension.

Those that are waiting for gear driven cams to return, dont hold your breath, IMO

Parts availability - particularly body panels, which end up being somewhat short-lived in this city - are a big problem. Some are only available from Yurp right now and before long, that too won't be an option.

And I just don't have the time, energy, space or will for a project.

I even had an acquaintance offer me her frankenstein that's been sitting for several years - I forget if it was a '97 with '98 body parts or the other way around - but there's just no way that wouldn't end badly. What a sweetheart though, to make that offer. If I weren't already married... :wink:

Of course I miss the sound of the gear-driven cams but that ship sailed a LONG time ago and I'm under no illusions about it ever making a return. And I agree, the 8th gen is a far, FAR, superior bike. I'm quite pleased with it and really haven't had any second thoughts.

Parts availability - particularly body panels, which end up being somewhat short-lived in this city - are a big problem. Some are only available from Yurp right now and before long, that too won't be an option.

And I just don't have the time, energy, space or will for a project.

I even had an acquaintance offer me her frankenstein that's been sitting for several years - I forget if it was a '97 with '98 body parts or the other way around - but there's just no way that wouldn't end badly. What a sweetheart though, to make that offer. If I weren't already married... :wink:

Of course I miss the sound of the gear-driven cams but that ship sailed a LONG time ago and I'm under no illusions about it ever making a return. And I agree, the 8th gen is a far, FAR, superior bike. I'm quite pleased with it and really haven't had any second thoughts.

Yes I am fortunate in that my 4th gen has all fibreglass panels and the finish is excellent.

• Member Contributer

Yes I am fortunate in that my 4th gen has all fibreglass panels and the finish is excellent.

How does the fiberglass stuff look compared to OEM?

One never forgets their first love(s). So of course every time I see a 4th gen I look on, longingly. It's kinda' the way you keep staring at a fine piece of a$$ after she's walked by, as if somehow staring harder will reveal something juicy that you didn't see initially.

But truth be known, the clock goes back farther than that...

I sport wood every time a fresh looking RZ-350 goes by, or pretty much any 2-stroke street bike. The ring-ding is almost as charming to me as the V-4's gear-driven cams.

And I damn near bought an old GS-850. The bike I learned on. Before I was old enough to get my license. Before I knew what counter-steering was. Or shaft effect. LOL.

And I get a bit jazzed to see KZ-650s. Such nimble bikes, back in the eighties. I had always wanted a 1983 CB1100F, too.

So now I have the 8th gen VFR, and it's really interesting to follow the controversial opinions about it. The saying about not being able to please everyone rings more true here than ever before. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. And the more I'm happy that I chose not to buy an older model or even a different bike altogether.

• Member Contributer
I sport wood every time a fresh looking RZ-350 goes by, or pretty much any 2-stroke street bike. The ring-ding is almost as charming to me as the V-4's gear-driven cams. [...] I had always wanted a 1983 CB1100F, too.

All this reminiscing is also reminding me how jaded we have become.

According to Wackypedia the CB1100F back then was deemed by Cycle World to be the fastest stock bike ever tested.

And the same page sez it makes just a few more peak HP than today's VFR800. :ohmy:

The CB is 535 lbs dry, FWIW.

The RZ back in '84-'85 (and 'til about 1990 in Canuckistan) was 58 HP outta the crate. Something like 70 with a set of hard-edged pipes (Toomey FTW) and a little head milling. Even more if you didn't mind a shorter rebuild cycle. The magic there was in the weight. When the catalytics came off, dry weight was around 320 lbs. I used to go hunting for 600cc bikes (and Interceptors) and f*** with 'em. LOLz. Close in power but the weight advantage was a killer. The ridiculously steep power curve made it feel even more powerful and the wheelie-ability never failed to impress.

But thirty years later the numbers seem far from impressive. Never mind the handling and safety improvements.

In the grand scheme of things I think it's pretty amazing that we have such small things to whine about when new bikes come out.

• Member Contributer

I don't think the Vtec "bothers" anyone from a standpoint of ridability but it rubs a lot of people the wrong way when asked to justify the expense, weight and maintenance of the "advancement" that offers no tangible improvements and adds CCT replacement to your to do list

• Member Contributer

I don't think the Vtec "bothers" anyone from a standpoint of ridability but it rubs a lot of people the wrong way when asked to justify the expense, weight and maintenance of the "advancement" that offers no tangible improvements and adds CCT replacement to your to do list

CCT maintenance is a function of not having gear-driven cams, not a function of having VTEC.

Whether or not VTEC offers tangible improvements depends on your definition of tangible.

How much weight does VTEC really add?

Archived