AB-Oz

434 members have voted

1. 1. What Gen is it?

• its a 6.3
    • its an 8
    • its something else
    • i dont care

• Member Contributer

I saw two last weekend up on Angeles Crest Highway. I know, I know, pics or it didn't happen!

IMG_1588_zps14be9653.jpg

Oh yeah, and one of these "old" things...

Stuff the 8th gen… thats a SAAB Sonnet in the background!
That just was one of many "unique" vehicles that were up there. A couple of car clubs came rolling through as well, but they didn't stop at the Ranch, just drove by. One thing about So Cal during the summer, lots of people out and about in their "weekend" cars and/or bikes! Especially on Sunday.

I've got to buy me a small digital camera to carry around on rides, somehow mom thought that I gave her my camera, not loan it to her. How do you tell your mom she misunderstood and that you want it back? You don't you just tell her enjoy the camera and I'll get a new one! Although the iPhone does take some decent shots, it's a little clumsy when trying to snap a quick picture. Having a dedicated camera will also help document some of these rides better, I'm so bad at capturing the scenery and attendees.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Honda, Listen up. 20 more HP, center stand and Inverted Forks and I'm buying tomorrow, seriously. I even like the VTEC. Love the looks on this new one. really love the looks of it. My 2004 has 70000 miles, no commuting, just mountains and canyon carving. Amazing motorcycle the 800 VFR so you, HONDA, are sooooo close to perfection with the 2014.

• Member Contributer

^^ That's what I told the reps at the Seattle M/C show, though I did toss in gear driven cams. I guess we'll have to see what they do.

Ok Honda, Listen up. 20 more HP, center stand and Inverted Forks and I'm buying tomorrow, seriously. I even like the VTEC. Love the looks on this new one. really love the looks of it. My 2004 has 70000 miles, no commuting, just mountains and canyon carving. Amazing motorcycle the 800 VFR so you, HONDA, are sooooo close to perfection with the 2014.

8th Gen comes with a centre-stand. The reviews in the bike press in the UK, US & Europe have been positive regarding the suspension. Hand-on-heart how often do you find yourself WOT at max revs asking for more? There is always the VFR1200 if you must have inverted forks & too much horsepower, but does that make the riding experience better?

Or, put the 1200 motor in this bike. Supposedly the 1200 motor is smaller because of the cylinder arrangement and call this the VFR Interceptor SST. Super Sport Tourer.

I thought the center stand was an option? Inverted forks should be included on a bike with the history and following of the VFR which is practically their flagship motorcycle. And I'm not asking for 160 HP, just about 20 more would be perfect.

dfh is referring to that in Australia we only get what you call the deluxe version with all the bells and whistles.

Psst. Honda. It's all about the engine. Beef it up. Make it a 130 HP 1000 cc unit. True enthusiasts always upgrade the suspension anyway. It's all about the engine.

The US Deluxe model has heated grips, traction control, anti lock brakes, self canceling turn signals, center stand and front and rear adjustable suspension, the standard does not have this stuff. Aside from the self canceling turn signals which take getting used to, everything is great about the bike.

The bike was designed to perform a certain way by Honda, so aside from appearance how much of a difference would inverted forks make? I know it already handles great, it seems to handle better than my old CBR600 did even when it was new.

I personally was looking for more usable power in everyday riding over my cbr600, more stability, more comfort, and a bike that not every 3rd to 5th 20 something has, and it does all of these things great, in fact a few things far better. I also found it has a better ride, more power, and the sound from that engine is a treat.

Yeah having 120 hp would be nice on paper. Would it realistically improve the bike for use on the road? Maybe, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So the US-spec bikes are "Interceptors" and not "VFRs", according to the fairing badges?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

So the US-spec bikes are "Interceptors" and not "VFRs", according to the fairing badges?

Ciao,

So the new 2014 VFR800 is NOT a VFR? and My 2009 VFR800 has the Interceptor badge on the rear side cowls, is it not a VFR as well? Did I join the wrong forum? Is there an 'Interceptordiscussion.com' or 'Interceptorworld.com'? :goofy:

The US seems to get fancy names for a few Honda bikes, eg CBR600 was a Hurricane and the VTR1000 was a Superhawk IIRC, nowhere else got these either.

The US seems to get fancy names for a few Honda bikes, eg CBR600 was a Hurricane and the VTR1000 was a Superhawk IIRC, nowhere else got these either.

Funny how that works really. Superhawk in the US only name for the VTR1000 due to the cult bike popularity of the 650 Hawk, a NTV650 with chain drive rather than shaft & alloy frame over the NTV's identical looking steel jobbie. VTR1000 was called Firestorm in most markets except Germany as he expression has negative connotations. CBR 900/929/954/1000 series known as Fireblade here & in the UK plus the CBR1100 was Blackbird or XX depending on market. I would guess that Interceptor was USA only as the 'murican name for a fighter plane is interceptor, but for the rest of us its a bit "meh".

• Member Contributer

Funny how that works really. Superhawk in the US only name for the VTR1000 due to the cult bike popularity of the 650 Hawk, a NTV650 with chain drive rather than shaft & alloy frame over the NTV's identical looking steel jobbie. VTR1000 was called Firestorm in most markets except Germany as he expression has negative connotations. CBR 900/929/954/1000 series known as Fireblade here & in the UK plus the CBR1100 was Blackbird or XX depending on market. I would guess that Interceptor was USA only as the 'murican name for a fighter plane is interceptor, but for the rest of us its a bit "meh".

Kind of looks like a Capri but it is in fact "the last of the V8 Interceptors"

mad-max.jpg

• Member Contributer

For a while there I had (one of) the last of the VFR800 Interceptors! Damn 2014 model ended that reign.

Kind of looks like a Capri but it is in fact "the last of the V8 Interceptors"

mad-max.jpg

Yeah I know… Actually was a Ford Falcon Hardtop GT. Owned a tatty one in my yoof. Interceptor name never used by Ford Australia. Car was not an export product but the film was, hence the interceptor tag

• Member Contributer

But I doubt Ford ever used the "Pursuit" name, either... :cool:

I had always assumed those names were applied by the MFP.

Ciao,

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I thought the various Healeys were open-top sports cars? The cars in Mad Max were Australia-only models, according to various knowlegeable Aussies, primarily 1973-74 Ford Falcons Sedans, and the black one was a 1973 Ford Falcon XB Hardtop. And most did have V-8 engines...

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

I owned a 1963 Mk II - the first year with roll-up windows. Very fun! A pebble in the road would upset the suspension, though . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived