Anyone Ever Rebored/overbored A 5/6Th Gen

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Won't know completely until the heads are off.

I'm going to do both with new gaskets from TTS and spray them with Hylomar M at assembly.

I was nearly going to do this the first time but I thought the standard Honda coating would suffice.

We used to use Hylomar back in the day with good success, so I think I'll stick with the tried and true this time around.

It'll give me a good chance to have a look in side as well and see how the bores have come up etc.

Probably not what I envisaged but hey it was an experiment anyway.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I was hoping that there would be enough room to get the rear head off in the frame seeing the 5th Gen is somewhat smaller than the 6th Gen but no luck by the look of it.

I'll have to do a full strip and drop the motor before I can see what damage is done.

This is where an inline 4 is so much easier.

Phil

• Member Contributer

It's going to be an awesome bike when you get the bugs worked out!!! great job on the build

• Member Contributer

Brian Law of Dynamo Humm told me that he used the die grinder method as well. He suggested I could certainly do it myself, so nothing particularly tricky about the process. Good luck.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Not sure about the 5th Gen but the back of the frame, where it joins to the box section for the shock etc., is really narrow.

There is no way that you can get the head up high enough over the cam drive gear cassette to free the head.

The manual outlines that you need to drop the motor to get the rear head off for the 6th Gen but I was hoping that due to the heads being a bit shorter on the 5th Gen, it may have just snuck out.

But that does not seem to be the case.

• Member Contributer

Well I got the engine out and on the bench yesterday and stripped the rear head off first.

Interesting, the gasket was completely stuck to the head but did not stick to the crankcase at all. It is though there is a fault in the gasket coating.

I wonder if I got a dud gasket?

At assembly time, I cleaned both the head and crankcase surfaces with contact cleaner, like I've always done, so there was no oil on them and they were spotless so that is all I can think of.

The gasket seems to be well compressed around the cylinders so I'd have to say the leak is probably due to the coating.

One thing, the bores look good and I'd have to say the rings are well bedded by the look of the crosshatching.

I gave it a cold compression test before pulling the motor out and the figures were: No 1 = 230psi, No 2 = 240psi, No 3 = 235psi, No 4 = 240psi

So it may be that both rear cylinders were leaking a bit. No 1 a bit more that No 3.

Not conclusive as it was cold but I'll see what the front head is like today. If it is stuck both sides then I'd have to say a faulty gasket was the cause.

I'll post more when I find out.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Yep, looks like it was a bad gasket.

The font head was quite a bit harder to get loose.

Gasket was stuck both sides.

Still stuck to the head a lot more than the crankcase but more than the rear.

So, just my luck to get a crook gasket.

Not much more to do than wait for the parts to turn up and start the assembly.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Sorry for the bum luck...

but on the bright side, looks like all your modifications and grinding work were spot on and had nothing to do with the issue!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well the gaskets are on their way from the US.

TTS couldn't get any until mid January so I'll have to modify the new ones myself again.

My other problem is that I broke my ankle yesterday at work and have a moon boot on for the next 6 weeks.

Going to make it pretty difficult to get the bike back together at this rate.

• Member Contributer

^^^ Ditto to what he said...

I know I don't heal like I used to and trying to rush things just makes take longer and hurt more in the long run...

I hope you heal quick and relatively painlessly and get back to 100% real soon...

• Member Contributer

Funny thing is I work in IT these days.

Rolled my ankle on a path in a car park going down a ramp and heard the old "crack".

I use Partzilla for pretty much all my part purchases as the local Honda distributor is hopeless. They hold no stock and everything is "21 days, ex Japan"

Yep you're right, the bone don't heal as well as they used to when I was 20/30.

Don't know how many people of said to me. "Those motorcycles are dangerous things"

I take great pride in saying that the bike had nothing to do with it.

• Member Contributer

Oh, so you're going with stock and cutting them yourself?

Bikes are dangerous! I've had two friends destroy their shoulders/collar bones in bicycle crashes! Stay off a push-bike... :goofy:

If you don't want to mess with modifying stock gaskets again, you can always try Cometic Gaskets (www.cometic.com). I used them once when rebuilding an extremely overbored 1997 ZX-6R. They were the only ones I could find that had or could get me the correct size head gasket.

• Member Contributer

If you don't want to mess with modifying stock gaskets again, you can always try Cometic Gaskets (www.cometic.com). I used them once when rebuilding an extremely overbored 1997 ZX-6R. They were the only ones I could find that had or could get me the correct size head gasket.

I think that was on the list I got from Huey. (Marietta Motorsports)

Damn, sorry, I hear you man. I dropped my bike in the garage the other day, then had half the fairing fly off on the high way at speed. After I repaired the bike and got it 100%, I hit a raccoon the next day and f@#$ed everything up all over again. Trust me, I understand the bad luck, though I still think you have me beat.... :(

wishing you a speedy recovery brother

• Member Contributer

Funny thing is I work in IT these days.

Rolled my ankle on a path in a car park going down a ramp and heard the old "crack".

I use Partzilla for pretty much all my part purchases as the local Honda distributor is hopeless. They hold no stock and everything is "21 days, ex Japan"

Yep you're right, the bone don't heal as well as they used to when I was 20/30.

Don't know how many people of said to me. "Those motorcycles are dangerous things"

I take great pride in saying that the bike had nothing to do with it.

Darn dude .

• Member Contributer

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

This might be a good time to request new safer light weight SSD laptop and work from home voip set up.

Archived