Anyone Ever Rebored/overbored A 5/6Th Gen

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Hi CRRC46

Basically I ended up with the following cam timings, all measured at zero lash and 1mm lift

Inlet

Open BTDC = 12 deg

Close ABDC = 47 deg

Duration = 239 deg

Lift (gross) = 8.3mm

Exhaust

Open BBDC = 43 deg

Close ATDC = 9 deg

Duration = 232 deg

Lift (gross) = 8.0mm

Lobe centres

Inlet 107.5

Exhaust 107.0

Not completely what I originally specced but I feel it is workable.

I had to play with the LC's to get the valve to piston clearance that I wanted on the inlets. Originally it was to be 105 deg.

Cheers

Phil

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So with the vfr being 225 in and ex and the rc45 being 235, that's a decent amount more duration. I can't remember the lift specs, did you pull more lift out of the cams too??

• Member Contributer

No, the list is pretty much as standard.

The valve to piston clearance is pretty tight.

The stock EXH lift on the 5th Gen is 7.9 so went .1 more there.

INL stayed the same.

Looking at the lift to valve head diameter ratios they are:

28.64% for the inlet and 32.24% for the Exhaust, which are pretty good figures.

I think the HRC RC45 get to 32.76% on the Inlet and the Exhaust is the same as I have.

Trying to keep the velocity down is important.

By the feel of it, the cams start to come on song at about 7000 rpm so that is pretty workable on a road bike like ours.

Didn't want to loose too much down low or it would be a bit of a pig in traffic.

Phil

I would think your engine, with the added displacement and compression could get away with some big cams with out losing any bottom end torque and I feel like the VTEC engines could get away with bigger cams being that they are only running two valves most of the time. Or with the vtec engine you could run the low speed lobe at around standard rc45 specs and the high speed lobe with some more duration and lift, maybe a little closer to hrc specs. That's what the new ebr bike is running and its supposed to have a great power band.

• Member Contributer

Time will tell once it's broken in.

That is interesting about the EBR bikes.

Not a bad idea.

I'd hate to think what the cam guys I used would have done it I threw them cams that had different timings per lobe/per cylinder and to make matters worse in different positions on the actual shaft.

They cocked up my pretty straight forward ones, so who knows.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Hey Mohawk,

How does that compare with your custom cams for the standard bore?

Hi Keef, HighsideNZ was supposed to have the same as mine, but his cam guys screwed the pooch, so he ended up having to press the sprockets off & re-centre them.

Mine are:-

Inlet 15/45=240duration, lift 8.2mm measured.

Exhaust 45/10=235duration lift 8.0mm measured

Done by a very good cam company called Piper cams in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well bad new I'm afraid.

Just got home from a 250km blast and found that the coolant catch tanks is full to the brim.

When I left this morning the level cold was at the minimum line on the tank.

Now, cold, the tank id pretty much full.

Looks like a blown head gasket.

Bugger.

• Member Contributer

check the radiator cap before pulling it apart,

I was having the same symptoms and a new radiator cap fixed it.

• Member Contributer

Yep so do I.

I paid particular attention to the cleanliness of the cap seal and the radiator tube but if it is a cap issue I'll be soooo happy.

Not looking forward to stripping and remaking another set of head gaskets.

• Member Contributer

Yep, going to dig in to it tonight, or at least start.

as it stands it looks very much like I've not lost any coolant as I can account for pretty much all I put in, so i don't think it is leaking coolant in to the chambers but it is possibly pressurising the water jacket and pushing the coolant out in to the bottle.

I doubt if i'll find anything on the plugs so that is going to make the direct diagnosis hard.

I'm also thinking of checking the head bolt tension again just to make sure.

Not looking forward to lifting the heads if i need to.

If it is gaskets, i think I'll see if I can get someone to machine the new gaskets instead of me opening them up by free hand like I did these ones.

Maybe the guys in the UK who still offer the big bore kits might be able to assist in that situation.

Time will tell.

Phil

• Member Contributer

I've just email TTS in the Uk as in my last email to/from them they outlined that they will bore the gaskets for 60 pounds plus the gasket costs so I'll see if they are interested in just doing that for me.

I am wondering if I ended up with some cuttings between the gasket segments when I did mine.

That is about all I can think of that would cause the issue.

• Member Contributer

Yep, when I oversized the gaskets maybe something has been lodged in between the gasket layers.

I did this work with a die grinder.

No one to blame but me if it is the case.

Hence why I'm looking at getting it done by someone else

• Member Contributer

...the vtec engine you could run the low speed lobe at around standard rc45 specs and the high speed lobe with some more duration and lift, maybe a little closer to hrc specs. That's what the new ebr bike is running and its supposed to have a great power band.

The new EBR engine has the asymmetric valve timing to create swirl in the large diameter bore of the combustion chamber... EB stated it took months of engineering work then continued trial and error on the dyno to get the power band they were looking for... it is not as simple as taking two existing valve timing profiles and slapping them together

Yep so do I.

I paid particular attention to the cleanliness of the cap seal and the radiator tube but if it is a cap issue I'll be soooo happy.

Not looking forward to stripping and remaking another set of head gaskets.

Sorry to hear of your troubles... hopefully, it will be something simple and easy like the rad cap... fingers crossed!

• Member Contributer

The email reply I got back in July/August outlined that they can do 74mm at 60 quid.

It sounds like what I did but I may err on the side of caution as they have done it a lot more times than I have I'd say.

Just pulled the plugs and it look like there is a bit of discolouration on #1. Bit brown/red around the earth electrode.

All the others are nice and light tan and pretty much all the same colour.

So, I'd have to say it's a head gasket.

• Member Contributer

I was talking over some things with a local shop regarding building an overbore engine. They suggested using a stock gasket and letting the new pistons cut their new holes. :ohmy:

I'm pretty sure they were kidding... :unsure:

• Member Contributer

The email reply I got back in July/August outlined that they can do 74mm at 60 quid.

It sounds like what I did but I may err on the side of caution as they have done it a lot more times than I have I'd say.

Just pulled the plugs and it look like there is a bit of discolouration on #1. Bit brown/red around the earth electrode.

All the others are nice and light tan and pretty much all the same colour.

So, I'd have to say it's a head gasket.

One head gasket is better then cracked head.

Archived