Anyone Ever Rebored/overbored A 5/6Th Gen

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Ouch, hope it gets better as quickly as possible. I sympathise as my knee was knackered for 3 months over the summer :(

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I feel for ya man - I did that to my left ankle some years ago. It seemed like forever before it healed. Take it easy on it so as not to re-injure it and start the clock over! Keep us posted on your progress. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Funny thing is I work in IT these days.

Rolled my ankle on a path in a car park going down a ramp and heard the old "crack".

I use Partzilla for pretty much all my part purchases as the local Honda distributor is hopeless. They hold no stock and everything is "21 days, ex Japan"

Yep you're right, the bone don't heal as well as they used to when I was 20/30.

Don't know how many people of said to me. "Those motorcycles are dangerous things"

I take great pride in saying that the bike had nothing to do with it.

Assuming you've snapped the fibula, among you, me and MM93, one of us was able to recover fully and win a world championship, so it's not the end of the world!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Now you tell me! The broken fibula was the least of my ankle's injuries, actually. I'm going for my second talar dome arthroscopy in January... :mad:

GWS.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Geez

You guys beat me hands down!

I'll never complain to my wife again. LOL

That might be a lie. Sympathy is such a glorious thing!

Hope you all get better soon.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Started back the the workshop today. Had enough sitting around watching the grass grow.

First job I have to do is modify another set of head gaskets.

When I did the first set I clamped them between rag in the vice and ground out the bores to a scribed line. A pretty fiddly job.

Thought I get a little more precise so I've made up a couple of jigs.

The first is just to hold the gaskets and allow me to use a set of engineers dividers to scribe the circle I need to grind to. Not much to this just a couple of accurately drilled holes that locate the gasket thru the dowel holes.

post-25941-0-07244900-1419479429.jpg

The next is a clamp made from 19mm MDF so it is pretty stable.

The gasket goes in between the 2 pieces of MDF with it located on the 2 M12 bolts thru the dowel holes again.

I just bolt the 2 halves together and sandwich the gasket.

Grind via the 2 79mm dia holes out to the scribed lines previously applied.

This way the 3 layer gasket stays nice and compressed and solid so the grinding is much easier.

post-25941-0-22554300-1419479441.jpg

Time will tell.

I hope to get the gaskets ground tomorrow after I get rid of the visitors.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all and it is sooooo good to get back to working on the bike.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Clever solution... as you said, this should keep them nice and compressed and stable during grinding. Looks like a good plan... I look forward to seeing the results.

... and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!!!

This is all way beyond me but I'm loving every inch of this thread and admire your grasp of the topic and perserverance.

I'm bed ridden At the mo due to a recent spinal lesion so it's making for a great distraction method.

Such a high level of scientific application yet explained in such an easy to follow fashion that it becomes a work of art.

• Member Contributer

I wondered about that myself but you are not bolting the jig together like pulling the head down to torque.

I just hand tightened the nuts and gave them about a 1/4 turn more with a spanner.

Ground the gaskets yesterday and the jig worked great.

The gasket was held firm enough to rough out the bores with a carbide rotary burr and then finish them off with a flap wheel.

There seemed to be no loss of the crush areas on the gaskets. I'm sure that the compression between my jig is low compared to cranking the head down to 44 Nm

Heads are now back on and I used Hylomar on the gaskets just as an insurance.

Masked off the oil passage areas before I sprayed them as Hylomar can cause issues with small oilways and blocking.

I'll put the cams back in and time them up today and stitch the engine up ready to go back in the frame.

I've got a Barnett clutch pack to put in as well so may as well do that with the engine on the bench.

I'll keep you all posted.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Good man Phil, hope these last longer than the first set. What's the deal with the Barnett clutch pack ? I've not come across them before.

Archived