Anyone Ever Rebored/overbored A 5/6Th Gen

Mohawk

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am leaning towards a base map that was to far off to properly road tune and allowing too large of changes to be made and too much lower gear data being collected.

I think that if a good base map was made on a dyno, the factory o2 sensors would be able to handle small variations and changes, but when a base map is made and its way off, the narrow band sensors are going to have a hard time sorting it out. On top of this, if you allow the system to make big changes (like more than 5%) from data that has a lot of rapid acceleration in low gears, its easy for the tuning to get way off, very fast.

Before I accept any changes in mapping, I make sure to do a lot of high gear, high speed, highway pulls.

I can honestly Tell a big difference on how the bike performs when I've been doing a lot of lower gear city riding, than when I pull off the highway. I really wish disport was able to tap into our gear position sensor and separate the data by gear, but apparently the GPS connections were buried somewhere in the bike and weren't easily accessible. I'm just going to throw a map switch on there soon so my fuel data will only be used when I flip the switch. Then I'll only tune in higher gears.

• Member Contributer

I tend to think you have a glitch within the rapid bike system mainly because it worked then all of a sudden went haywire.

maybe the auto tune set something out of bounds when it over revved on the missed shift....can you make it unlearn everything and start over?

Yeah its really easy. Just save the maps in a folder anytime before you make changes, then if things ever get weird, you just load one of the old maps from when it was running good. I've done it a few times. Its cake.

I've done it a few times when I was still figuring out the settings. I had the my tuning settings making too large of changes and from too low of an rpm. Plus I made a +20% map to compensate for the big throttle bodies ( terrible idea and the base map was way off). It felt okay at first, but thing started to get weird after accepting changes a few times. Then eventually I had a massive dead spot from 3-6k RPMs and it ran like shit. So I chased problems around in circles for a while and then wound up reloading the original map, set the allowable changes lower (5%), set the my tuning activation a little higher (3400 RPMs), do high way tuning, and the bike and fulling has been perfection ever since.

Last night I finally got to verify the AFR'S in real time, via Youtune and everything is spot on. The AFR is like a rock at WOT at 13.2 and putting around town at variable throttle and shifting it seems to hover around there.

• Member Contributer

It almost sounds like the fuel system injector signal are being delayed by RB race unit. I wonder now if you have some how exceeded the RB unit capabilities.

The more I think about it I believe you have either put the RB race unit into some kind of " Limp Mode" or you have blown it.

$20 bucks says you can load a zero map or supplied rb map, set the my tuning to +/-5% and it will run fine. I think the map that has been created is buggered up.

• Member Contributer

My 09 would start to make electrical smells as the generator output increased near red line. It may be possible that the over-rev you saw drove the output of your stator to a level which affected the RapidBike module in some way.

I know the regulator should be keeping it down, but if you've got a shunt regulator on there an excessively high stator output can result in a bus voltage above the upper limit of the normal range.

I would assume that RB would have onboard regulators and should be okay, but you seem to be eliminating possibilities at an impressive rate of speed. Hopefully a zero map will help out and I'm way off.

• Member Contributer

Hi all

Well after refitting/sealing the exhaust a couple of times I did not believe it was an exhaust leak.

Started down the fueling side of things.

I've had my spare set of injectors cleaned and flowed.

They are all nice and close, and no leaks.

Whilst I was waiting on them to come back went thru the rest of the fuel system.

Checked the fuel pressure regulator first and it looks like the vacuum diaphragm is holed.

Put my MityVac on it and it won't hold a vacuum.

As the fuel system is a manifold referenced system (for fuel line pressure regulation), this makes sense.

At a constant cruise throttle, the manifold vacuum is high so if the diaphragm is leaking, then the line pressure is going to be less than expected and that will lean out the mixture.

I'll know tomorrow when I replace the regulator for my spare.

• Member Contributer

I have a spare FPR off my 5th gen that I removed recently (I replaced it because I thought it might be a cause of high fuel consumption, which it wasn't) which you're welcome to use if it helps.

Also can I ask where you go to get the injectors cleaned?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the offer, but I believe it is a different FPR between the 5th and 6th Gens.

I have a spare so I'm all good.

I used John at Fuel Injection Services in Manurewa

www.fuelinjection.co.nz

He is in the process of building a new dyno room at present so the place is a bit of a mess but he knows his stuff.

$130 NZD to replace the basket filters and ultra clean and flow test/report on 4 injectors.

• Member Contributer

I'm trying to wrap my head around where the fuel psi will be with a leak in the FPR diaphragm... since the diaphragm will "sense" less vacuum due to the leak and have less deflection wouldn't the fuel psi be higher since the FPR "thinks" there is lower manifold vacuum and a more open throttle position than actual???

:comp13:

• Member Contributer

I think there are two things that would/could happen with a diaphragm leak. Fuel will pass through the leak from the pressurised side and down the vacuum hose to richen one cylinder. And the loss of the vacuum "signal" will cause the regulator to increase the fuel pressure in the rail so effectively richen all cylinders further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Well just an update.

Seems that there was nothing wrong with the FPR. My MityVac has a little leak in it as my spare FPR showed the same leakage pattern.

Reducing the hoses and removing the brake bleed canister from the MityVac showed no leakage on either FPR.

Any way, I put the spare FPR on and filled my newly cleaned and calibrated injectors and went for a ride.

I thought it was all OK, then back came the problem.

So, I've emailed the guys at RapidBike and outlined that I'm going to put my old RB3 unit back on with my data logger.

If I see the logged AFR going high, then I'd have to say the issue is something within the bike, external to the fuel control system.

If I don't see the AFR going high, then it has to be something within the RB Racing/MyTB equipment.

Waiting on a reply from the RB guys but I think I'll carry on and re-fit the RB3

This is becoming rather frustrating to say the least.

• Member Contributer

Where is your RB mounted? Is it possible it is overheating after running for awhile?

• Member Contributer

It's in the tail where I used to have the RB3 and where the RapidBike installation instructions show it.

It has never been even warm to the touch so I doubt that it is over heating, unless it is over heating internally and not getting to the heat sink outer case.

• Member Contributer

+/- 5%

I've gone back to the old RB3 and my data logger.

I'll see what comes of this.

• Member Contributer

It Keeps getting curiouser and curiouser ... :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I think I'll take the blue pill... :ph34r::laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Well I removed all of the RB Racing/MyTB/YouTune equipment and re-installed my old RB3 device.

Installed my data logger using the same wideband O2 sensor as what the MyTB unit was using and went for a ride. About 120km with varying traffic etc.

Did not have an issue at all on the whole ride.

When I got home I looked at the logs and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing going high on the AFR, apart from closed throttle on over-run.

The map I'm using with the RB3 is not perfect but the bike was completely rideable in all situations.

if there was an external influence from the rest of the bike on the fueling, them I would have expected to see either high or low AFR's where the exhaust either leaked (lean) or something else pushed the mixture rich

I've advised the DimSport guys of my finding and I await their reply.

• Member Contributer

It almost sounds like the fuel system injector signal are being delayed by RB race unit. I wonder now if you have some how exceeded the RB unit capabilities.

The more I think about it I believe you have either put the RB race unit into some kind of " Limp Mode" or you have blown it.

Really your to good a mechanic for it to have been anything else.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I was start to doubt my judgement, the way this has been panning out.

Archived