Anyone Ever Rebored/overbored A 5/6Th Gen

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Awesome news for the fifth gen guys. I wonder if they have the eight gen figured out too.

You're assuming we have a clue about what your talking about!

:comp13:

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news for the fifth gen guys. I wonder if they have the eight gen figured out too.

Edited. If its not clear yet try reading a few more posts on this page.

What if your using 2 MTBs? Will the RB be confused on the cylinder pairing with the 5th gens? Does it create adjustment tables and load maps for each cylinder or in pairs?

Good question. Sounds like a fix is on the way though. As far as creating adjustment tables an loading maps, I have four my tuning bikes ( MTB ) so I have four tables, one for each cylinder. If you have one MTB you get one map. If you have 2 MTBs you probably will get the weird pairing until you update your firmware.

If you have no MTBs, then you will use the two factory narrowband o2 sensors. I never tried this, but it again sounds like you would have the weird pairing issue until updating your firmware.

I'm not sure if this is only for the fifth gen guys or what, as I was never effect since I'm running one MTB per cylinder and all are associated correctly.

Sorry I'm out of the loop so bad. I need to reach out to Danielle and get up to speed.

• Member Contributer

I've had enough of running my stock Gen 6 engine so I started stripping the bike this afternoon to install the 825 Gen 5 again.

I was going to leave the Gen 6 in whilst I was working with Dimsport but it is taking a lot longer than I envisaged.

So, I've primed the oil system and it is ready to fit in to the frame.

Next will be finishing the fuel mapping and then a dyno run I hope.

• Member Contributer

Well, I finally stopped tinkering today due to a right royal cockup on my part when I fitted the O2 sensor bung to the TBR, I didn't have a wideband sensor so drilled the hole to suit the narrow band sensor & expected them to be the same size. Well i was wrong, so the wideband won't fit & where the hole is I can get at it to make it wider, ten my drill burned out its bishes doing something else, so no power drill.

So I did some lateral thinking & cut the leads off the two narrow band sensors & crimped both connector ends together with Jap bullet connectors & fitted the one narrow band sensor, but feeding both RB racing & thus both Stock ECU O2 connectors. Ran the bike up with PC attached & sure enough the RB Racing shows a good O2 singnal & took it for a ride & it shows O2 tuning :) So two into one will go :)

Got a 90 degree adjustable connector coming so I can connect the wideband in place next week ! Then will check the fuelling.

Bike runs good, but can't really gauge if the pipe & Yoshi intakes make much difference as I've not ridden it for 5 months due to my knee being crock last year. But it does pull like crazy & wants to lift the front on power in first 3 gears !

• Member Contributer

I've had enough of running my stock Gen 6 engine so I started stripping the bike this afternoon to install the 825 Gen 5 again.

I was going to leave the Gen 6 in whilst I was working with Dimsport but it is taking a lot longer than I envisaged.

So, I've primed the oil system and it is ready to fit in to the frame.

Next will be finishing the fuel mapping and then a dyno run I hope.

Hopefully for the final time! Love that gen 5/6 combination . . .

• Member Contributer

Edited. If its not clear yet try reading a few more posts on this page.

I don't think your writing is the issue, it's the person doing the reading! :happy:

Recognize you guys are in pretty advanced territory and getting good results, just need to read through it all again and really digest it.

• Member Contributer

Well, I finally stopped tinkering today due to a right royal cockup on my part when I fitted the O2 sensor bung to the TBR, I didn't have a wideband sensor so drilled the hole to suit the narrow band sensor & expected them to be the same size. Well i was wrong, so the wideband won't fit & where the hole is I can get at it to make it wider, ten my drill burned out its bishes doing something else, so no power drill.

So I did some lateral thinking & cut the leads off the two narrow band sensors & crimped both connector ends together with Jap bullet connectors & fitted the one narrow band sensor, but feeding both RB racing & thus both Stock ECU O2 connectors. Ran the bike up with PC attached & sure enough the RB Racing shows a good O2 singnal & took it for a ride & it shows O2 tuning :) So two into one will go :)

Got a 90 degree adjustable connector coming so I can connect the wideband in place next week ! Then will check the fuelling.

Bike runs good, but can't really gauge if the pipe & Yoshi intakes make much difference as I've not ridden it for 5 months due to my knee being crock last year. But it does pull like crazy & wants to lift the front on power in first 3 gears !

That's what I'm talking about . Great .

• Member Contributer

Creative temporary fix to get rolling!

Once again... Nice Work!!!

• Member Contributer

Got the 825 in the frame and took it for a ride this afternoon.

Working on the mapping at present.

Not looking at doing the engine swap again for quite some time.

Waiting on replies from Dimsport regarding the surging issue.

Next project is exhaust system.

• Member Contributer

Got the 825 in the frame and took it for a ride this afternoon.

Working on the mapping at present.

Not looking at doing the engine swap again for quite some time.

Waiting on replies from Dimsport regarding the surging issue.

Next project is exhaust system.

I'm giving Tyga another week before following up on VFR800 (825) performance parts...

Hopefully, this will be the last engine swap & keep us in the loop on the DimSport progeamming progress. Good luck!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

thank you for your detailed answer!

it's been a while but I finally managed to talk to my friend who will do the bore and hone.

First he said it's impossible because he thought the sleeve is just coated with something like Nikasil (I think this is what German OEMs like Porsche, BMW etc use).

Then I asked my professor (formerly worked at BMW D&R and ///M) and he confirmed what all of you said about the MMC liner being able to be bored to a certain extent.

Just been talking to the machine shop that is doing the bore and hone.

Bore all completed and no issues but they have just checked with the honing equipment suppliers and it seems that the MMC used by Honda is different to what Porsche/BMW etc. use and that is what the shop thought it would be.

There may be a different process to hone the sleeves for our stuff as the liners are not the normal aluminium/silica so they probably cannot use the standard lapping process that removes the aluminium and exposes the silica.

Being sintered, it might be a diamond hone.

Should know tomorrow what the progress/process is.

I'm just not sure about the honing process. Did you manage to gather information on that from your shop? Is special equipment necessary?

I'd like to give detailed information to my shop because they've never done this before.

Julian

• Member Contributer

Hi Julian

The guys that did the bore and hone for me did a fair bit of research on the honing but I do not know what they eventually came up with.

They just said it was doable and went ahead and did it.

I do remember them saying something about a diamond hone.

Their research was all Internet based and also from their tooling vendor so I'd expect that looking for honing MMC liners should turn something up on Google.

• Member Contributer

Well I'm on to the next project building an exhaust for the 825.

I've been waiting on the possible relaunching of the Two Brothers or a header set from Tyga but it looks like that has stalled.

So I bought a full system for an RC45 and am in the process if chopping it up and modifying for right hand exit and the high cans on the Gen 6.

I'm building it on my spare engine and have made a cradle and dummied up the swingarm and the exit point for the mid pipe for my LeoVince cans.

Here are some shots of progress so far.

Stock pipes used to position Exit pipe

post-25941-0-92397400-1430116917.jpg

Dummy exit pipe and centre stand lug jig

post-25941-0-35847000-1430116928.jpg

Overall view with standard pipes

post-25941-0-07974900-1430116946.jpg

Rear headers and collector

post-25941-0-90521200-1430116969.jpg

Front headers

post-25941-0-88891600-1430116998.jpg

post-25941-0-29433600-1430117008.jpg

Overall view of rear assembly

post-25941-0-83252500-1430119747.jpg

Side view of RC45 headers

post-25941-0-79494400-1430119333.jpg

post-25941-0-68211800-1430119449.jpg

Next step is to get some 18g SS bends and straights and start the real work joining it all together.

• Member Contributer

My thought was that by the time I make up the headers as a one off, I would have spent about the same amount of money and probably not finished up with a product as good of quality.

This way I should have a easier path to the finished product.

• Member Contributer

I've been looking at RC45 headers myself... although, I don't have the tools nor skills to tackle what you are doing. Do you have pipe bending equipment or are you buying pre-fabbed bends? Looks like you've finally got your header stubs :)

Good luck with it! Looking forward to seeing the results.

• Member Contributer

Pipes made for the RC45 will probably not fit a Gen 6 as the rear cam chain tensioner sticks out and interferes with the pipe from cyl 3

I'm OK with this as I'm using the Gen5 engine in the Gen 6 frame.

So be careful if you go this route.

Also, the front cross over radiator hose at the bottom of the rads goes behind the standard pipes. Most RC45 pipes hug the front of the engine more closely and the hose will not pass behind them.

I'm going to run the host in front of the headers so there is another mod needed to make this work.

Not a straight forward conversion.

I'm buying pre bent bends etc. to do the secondary pipes and will cut them to suit and then weld them up.

Most tube benders do not use mandels and so the inside of the bends crushes.

There are a couple of good companies in the US that sell good quality mandel bent tubing in lots of varying angles and diameters so I'll be buying an assortment and working from those.

Dependant upon my TIG skills, haven't done much for a fair few years, I might just tack it all together and then get it professionally welded.

Want to make a good job of it overall.

The pipes on ebay mentioned above are in Ti hence the price. don't want to go that exotic, and anyway they are a left exit twin system. EG: 2 x 2 in to 1

I'm sticking with the trusty old 4 into 2 into 1 Tri-Y pipes.

• Member Contributer

Hey CRRC46, thanks for the praise.

Best keep it until it is all finished and fitted!

Could still cock it up big time and end up with a whole pile of stainless steel waste tubing. LOL

Going to do some measuring tonight and try and get the bend orders in.

Then I can get on to the next phase once they arrive.

Better get some TIG practice in before I have to do it for real.

CRRC46

If I remember correctly, you are not using the pipe to head copper gaskets with your TB headers?

If I am correct, did you use any type of sealant on the header flanges to the ports?

Like muffler cement or similar?

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Highsidenz you are my hero. This is some epic stuff.

:1:

+2!! This is modding I can only dream of doing. Great stuff!!

Archived